View Full Version : Publishers for the Kindle Format

nexist
11-22-2007, 03:17 AM
Does anyone know if publishers are locked into the Kindle's proprietary format, or is it possible for the University of Chicago to have a book available in both the Kindle and Mobibook format?

delphidb96
11-22-2007, 03:34 AM
Does anyone know if publishers are locked into the Kindle's proprietary format, or is it possible for the University of Chicago to have a book available in both the Kindle and Mobibook format?

If I understand correctly, the non-DRM version of Amazon's AZW ebook is just a simple .PRC file with an .AZW extension. So you should have no problem creating a non-DRM .MOBI or .PRC file using Mobigen, Mobipocket Creator or BookDesigner and renaming the extension to .AZW. Now if you want a DRM'd .AZW, that will probably have to go through Amazon's online DTP process, I would guess.

Derek

nexist
11-22-2007, 03:51 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of contractual obligations from commercial publishers. I used "The University of Chicago" as an example because the closest book to me was Schmitt's Political Theology.

HarryT
11-22-2007, 03:51 AM

It has been reported that Kindle publishing deals are non-exclusive, so there would be no problem at all for a publisher to publish in both Kindle and MP stores.