View Full Version : Wow, no Amazon Kindle's on ebay

tsgreer
11-21-2007, 08:15 PM
I figured there would be loads of people buying several Kindle's and then turning them around for a profit on ebay, but I don't see any. I'm very surprised...

JSWolf
11-21-2007, 08:38 PM
I figured there would be loads of people buying several Kindle's and then turning them around for a profit on ebay, but I don't see any. I'm very surprised...
I'm not. It's a USA only device at present. if you buy one, you have to pay Amazon's price. So selling it for more is silly as others can buy from Amazon for what Amazon is charging. if you sell for less, you lose money. So honestly, it is not a good financial investment to biy the Kindle for resale.

tsgreer
11-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Yeah, but wasn't it the same situation with the Sony Reader? USA only and it was going for higher prices on ebay. Not sure why, maybe more overseas buyers were interested in Sony Reader than Kindle...

HarryT
11-22-2007, 03:26 AM
Yeah, but wasn't it the same situation with the Sony Reader? USA only and it was going for higher prices on ebay. Not sure why, maybe more overseas buyers were interested in Sony Reader than Kindle...

Simple - the Sony Reader could be used world-wide, but was only sold in the USA. The Amazon Kindle can (effectively) only be used in the USA, and anyone who wants one there can buy one. Besides which, I believe that each Kindle is "personalised" to the Amazon account of its buyer, is it not?

tsgreer
11-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Simple - the Sony Reader could be used world-wide, but was only sold in the USA. The Amazon Kindle can (effectively) only be used in the USA, and anyone who wants one there can buy one. Besides which, I believe that each Kindle is "personalised" to the Amazon account of its buyer, is it not?

Yeah, good point. Mine was personalized right out of the box. I didn't think of that. Not sure how that works when buying for a gift to someone...

sarahw2275
11-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Yeah, good point. Mine was personalized right out of the box. I didn't think of that. Not sure how that works when buying for a gift to someone...

I just posted that you can deauthorize it from your account if your buying it as a gift, and let the recipient register it. It's on Amazon's site.

kjn24
11-22-2007, 08:13 PM
It's official - there's a Kindle on ebay. For the small starting bid of $599.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZON-KINDLE-BRAND-NEW-IN-THE-BOX_W0QQitemZ200176626415QQihZ010QQcategoryZ88752Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Kathy

tsgreer
11-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Holy crap, that's quite a mark-up in price. Plus the ebay seller is new and has 0 feedback. I wouldn't be brave enough to try to buy that one...

JSWolf
11-22-2007, 10:49 PM
That is one really bad auction. Anyone in the USA can buy it for less.

montsnmags
11-22-2007, 11:12 PM
That is one really bad auction. Anyone in the USA can buy it for less.

If someone buys it (and, chances are, someone will) then it is a really good auction...for the seller. ;)

The internet - bravely pushing back the boundaries of stupid. :grin2:

Cheers,
Marc