View Full Version : if i convert a pbook to an ebook my self.

modsoul
11-21-2007, 06:31 PM
am i breaking any US copy right law ?
like photographing each page and making a pdf and reading it on the reader ?

delphidb96
11-21-2007, 09:33 PM
am i breaking any US copy right law ?
like photographing each page and making a pdf and reading it on the reader ?

I am not a lawyer, so this is *VERY* rough guesstimate.

No - if you're doing so because *YOU* want to read it electronically. Yes - if you plan to make money by selling it to others. Maybe - if you plan to give it to friends.

Derek

RWood
11-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Very YES if you plan on posting it somewhere on the net.

As a side note: if you take a photograph of a printed page and display it on the Reader it will most likely be unreadable since the Reader has a 6" screen and it will scale the PDF page to that size.

The public domain pbooks that I have converted for the Reader were all OCRed so that I was able to load the text rather than an image of a page. The resulting LRF file was many times the number of pages of the original even at the "S" font size.

modsoul
11-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Very YES if you plan on posting it somewhere on the net.

As a side note: if you take a photograph of a printed page and display it on the Reader it will most likely be unreadable since the Reader has a 6" screen and it will scale the PDF page to that size.

The public domain pbooks that I have converted for the Reader were all OCRed so that I was able to load the text rather than an image of a page. The resulting LRF file was many times the number of pages of the original even at the "S" font size.

No i don't intend to share it. i just plan to put on the reader and use it myself. not share it with others.

i've converted like 5 textbooks already so i know its doable and readable. problem is i don't have time enough to do a better scan and OCR it and textbooks aren't avaiable as public domain or in the sony store.

if you want i can post a guide sometime.