Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Newspapers on the PRS-505

One of the reasons why the Kindle appealed to me was because it was able to get newspaper and magazine articles. Of course there was a price associated with doing that, though I didn't think the cost was all that much. I was actually thinking of springing for one of those.

However, I noticed that someone mentioned that you can get newspaper articles when using libprs500. So I looked at the options in the program and I'll be d&mned, there it is. I pressed the buttons and sure enough I had news on my Reader. So, forget spending more money on ereaders, I'm totally happy with the Sony Reader.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantw View Post
One of the reasons why the Kindle appealed to me was because it was able to get newspaper and magazine articles. Of course there was a price associated with doing that, though I didn't think the cost was all that much. I was actually thinking of springing for one of those.

However, I noticed that someone mentioned that you can get newspaper articles when using libprs500. So I looked at the options in the program and I'll be d&mned, there it is. I pressed the buttons and sure enough I had news on my Reader. So, forget spending more money on ereaders, I'm totally happy with the Sony Reader.
So, if you use libprs500 and love it... go to the chip in site to buy Kovid a Kindle. Granted it is so he can add Kindle support... but I see my "chip-in" as supporting what he has done for the Sony reader!

http://buyakindle.chipin.com/buy-kovid-goyal-a-kindle

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So, if you use libprs500 and love it... go to the chip in site to buy Kovid a Kindle. Granted it is so he can add Kindle support... but I see my "chip-in" as supporting what he has done for the Sony reader!

http://buyakindle.chipin.com/buy-kovid-goyal-a-kindle

BOb
I agree. Kovid has done a lot of awesome work that made the Sony Readers a better product for us and I would love for him to do the same for the Kindle...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
ultimoed
ultimoed began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 505
As a newbie does LBPRS500 work on the 505??
ultimoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimoed View Post
As a newbie does LBPRS500 work on the 505??
Not completely, but he is working on it. All of the format converters work.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually with the latest version 0.4.24 the 505 should be fully functional.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
Quote:
Actually with the latest version 0.4.24 the 505 should be fully functional.
What can I say except thank you.
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
veshman
veshman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Kovid, hi, thanks for updating your software. I was wondering if it could manage collections (e.g. keep all of the same types of content together) for the 505?

Thanks,

Bhavesh
veshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes you can, using tags
Old 11-21-2007, 05:54 PM   #10
veshman
veshman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Kovid, that's awesome! Thanks. I'll be donating to the Kindle fund that has been set up for you. Not to hijack the thread, but do you plan on writing similar software for the Kindle?
veshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The kindle fund has been closed. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16339

All that's required to make this work on the kindle is for me to write html2prc, which I do plan on writing, but since I don't have a Kindle, it's a low priority project.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's lots of devices other than the Kindle which run MobiPocket, from smartphones to PDAs to other eInk devices such as the iRex iLiad and the Bookeen CyBook. It would be a useful tool for far more devices than just the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote