View Full Version : Buying Kindle Edition Books abroad

bluesnews
11-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Do you need to have your billing address in the US, to buy the books?

Thanks in advance.

kacir
11-21-2007, 05:15 AM
Do you need to have your billing address in the US, to buy the books?
You have to have your Kindle in the US is order to buy books.
The books are delivered DIRECTLY into Kindle. You can then copy them to PC and back, but when you purchase a book it can only be delivered thsouth Whispernet - that means Sprint.

igorsk
11-21-2007, 05:32 AM
You can download purchased Kindle books from Amazon website too. But to purchase them it seems you do need a U.S. credit card - it didn't allow me to buy one even though I did manage to buy the Kindle with it.

Nate the great
11-21-2007, 06:22 AM
You have to have your Kindle in the US is order to buy books.
The books are delivered DIRECTLY into Kindle. You can then copy them to PC and back, but when you purchase a book it can only be delivered thsouth Whispernet - that means Sprint.

Um, no. You are wrong.

There might be possible restrictions about the address of the credit card, but the physical location of the Kindle is irrelevant.

vagelis
11-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Um, no. You are wrong.

There might be possible restrictions about the address of the credit card, but the physical location of the Kindle is irrelevant.

Actually, the physical location is somewhat relevant: you'd need to be in an area covered by Sprint's EVDO/1xRTT network.
Which unfortunately limits the device to continental US :smack:

HarryT
11-21-2007, 06:45 AM
Actually, the physical location is somewhat relevant: you'd need to be in an area covered by Sprint's EVDO/1xRTT network.

Only for wireless download. You don't HAVE to use the wireless download capabilities - you can download the file from Amazon to your PC and then transfer it to the Kindle via USB.

This is exactly what people outside the range of EVDO coverage even in the US will need to do - EVDO is certainly not "universal" in the US, especially in more rural areas.

Nate the great
11-21-2007, 06:46 AM

No, not if you transfer the ebook by USB cable.

astra
11-21-2007, 07:44 AM
You can download purchased Kindle books from Amazon website too. But to purchase them it seems you do need a U.S. credit card - it didn't allow me to buy one even though I did manage to buy the Kindle with it.

So, you really bought Kindle?

Nate the great
11-21-2007, 07:56 AM

Have you tried buying a gift card for yourself, then using the gift card to buy the ebooks?

igorsk
11-21-2007, 07:58 AM
So, you really bought Kindle?
Yep, should be on its way to me today.
Have you tried buying a gift card for yourself, then using the gift card to buy the ebooks?
Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I'll investigate.

sarahw2275
11-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Yep, should be on its way to me today.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I'll investigate.

Did it work? I'm in the UK, and I'm desperate to find a way to get one!

HarryT
11-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Did it work? I'm in the UK, and I'm desperate to find a way to get one!

What device are you reading on at the moment, Sarah?

sarahw2275
11-21-2007, 09:50 AM
I had a Sony, but I wasn't thrilled by the selection of books available for it so sold it when I decided to buy my Mac. I don't have a reader at all right now.

hkabir
11-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Hi igorsk,

did you try to buy books using amazon gift card? Does it work? If it woks then I can buy giftcard for myself and use it to buy books. My decision to buy kindle dependes on the ability to buy books and magazines.

Nate the great
11-23-2007, 10:20 PM
I don't think you can.

To successfully purchase digital content from the Amazon Kindle Store, the 1-Click payment method listed on the Manage Your Kindle page must be a credit or debit card issued by a U.S. Bank with a U.S. billing address.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200127480&#us