View Full Version : Let's Buy Kovid Goyal an Amazon Kindle

Nate the great
11-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Let's raise the funds to buy Kovid a Kindle.

For those of you who are new, or don't have a Sony Reader, earlier this year Kovid wrote a set of converters that outputted LRF for the Sony Reader. The converters are very good, and they gave Reader owners a vastly improved reading experience. The converter accept the following input:

LIT (MSReader)
RTF
HTML
TXT
PDF
web (This will download a given webpage and convert it.)

If we buy him a Kindle, he will add Mobipocket PRC as an output. This will benefit both Kindle and Cybook owners. Admittedly, the Cybook can already see most of those formats, but I still think you will benefit from these conversion tools.

I will be using ChipIn.com to gather the funds. Click on the link.

http://buyakindle.chipin.com/buy-kovid-goyal-a-kindle

igorsk
11-20-2007, 09:08 PM
You don't really need Kindle to produce and test Mobi files :)
BTW Kovid, let me know if you need any help with the format... I know quite a bit about it.

kovidgoyal
11-20-2007, 09:10 PM
I really need the kindle to add it as a supported device for USB syncing to libprs500, and to provide me with some motivation to get the PRC converter built.

tsgreer
11-20-2007, 09:41 PM
I chipped in! If I could get Kindle support on libprs500 to build mobibook files as well as it built .lrf files, that would rock!

kovidgoyal
11-20-2007, 09:48 PM
I'm planning on writing html2prc and it should have near feature parity with html2lrf

tsgreer
11-20-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm planning on writing html2prc and it should have near feature parity with html2lrf

I love you in the most hetrosexual way a man can love another man. :)

pilotbob
11-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Ok, In... I doubled what was there. I did this not cause I even have a Kindle, but to support your current and future work supporting the Sony reader!

BOB

kovidgoyal
11-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks, not too worry I'm not decamping to the Kindle camp ;-)

Nate the great
11-21-2007, 03:52 PM
I have canceled the ChipIn. An explanation will be forthcomng.

Nate the great
11-21-2007, 04:11 PM
I had an interesting conversation with one of the moderators. He is of the opinion that this was panhandling. It took me a while, but I eventually decided he was correct, and that I am not comfortable doing it. The event is canceled. The money has been refunded.

If anyone wants to give Kovid money, check out his homepage. He has a link for Paypal.

pilotbob
11-21-2007, 04:16 PM
I had an interesting conversation with one of the moderators. He is of the opinion that this was panhandling. It took me a while, but I eventually decided he was correct, and that I am not comfortable doing it. The event is canceled. The money has been refunded.

If anyone wants to give Kovid money, check out his homepage. He has a link for Paypal.

I disagree. Perhaps if it was Kovid himself that set up the chip-in. I thought it was a great idea.

Whatever...

BOb

Nate the great
11-21-2007, 04:24 PM
I disagree. Perhaps if it was Kovid himself that set up the chip-in. I thought it was a great idea.

Whatever...

BOb

No, I set it up. If he wants to set up his own, fine. If you want to give him money directly, okay. I do not want to panhandle.

vivaldirules
11-21-2007, 04:25 PM
I won't disagree with the decision but I guess I'm a little surprised. It seemed to me that asking those who are interested to make donations to buy him a device so that he could then spend a lot of his own time producing something for everyone to use was a practical idea. I was rather impressed that you guys did this before (e.g., 505). Panhandling is asking for money for little or no work. I don't care myself as I'm not buying a Kindle anytime soon. But I am surprised.

tsgreer
11-21-2007, 04:38 PM
I won't disagree with the decision but I guess I'm a little surprised. It seemed to me that asking those who are interested to make donations to buy him a device so that he could then spend a lot of his own time producing something for everyone to use was a practical idea...

I agree, basically he is doing something for the community for free and this was just getting him a tool to do it better. But I'll just donate to him personally on his page for all of the hard work he has done for us...

edsohsmith
11-21-2007, 04:53 PM
I would rather donate (again, even though I do not yet own a reader) to enable SF Chronicle support for the Sony PRS 505.

edsohsmith
11-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Seriously though, I love the "pay what you can", work, attitude, philosophy, you have adopted Kovid. It is mainly for this reason I that I have donated to your work, even before being able to sample your offerings.

I wish that the ebook reader sellers would take "a page from your book". Sorry, sorry for the bad pun.

Anyway, I hope to order a Reader in the next week or two to really enjoy the fruits of your labor.

delphidb96
11-21-2007, 05:00 PM

I would love to see the html2prc up and running!

Derek

kovidgoyal
11-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Well, it's unfortunate the moderators feel that way. Without a Kindle, it's unlikely libprs500 will support USB syncing to the device. However, I will still work on html2prc, it will just take longer to reach feature parity with html2lrf since my only motivation to do it now, is the fun of figuring out the PRC format.

And I do appreciate all of you that have shown your support by donating to me and/or the chip-in. Having people use my software and show their appreciation of it is a big source of motivation for a project that I started as a hobby.

@edsohsmith
Yes, I use open source software every day in my work and play, and this is my way of giving back to the community. It also ensures that the software keeps getting better, so that when I use it, I benefit as well.

tsgreer
11-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Well for now the html2prc would do wonders for me if it's anything like html2lrf. Your html2lrf was freakin' awesome. I'm donating as soon as I get home...

I disagree with the big meanie moderators as well...:)

Lov2Read
11-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Well, it's unfortunate the moderators feel that way.

Yes it is. And with all due respect to the moderators, it is rather silly they feel that way as well.

tompe
11-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Can I use the New York Times aggregator to get a html file to put on my Gen3?

And for the Kindle can't you just mail the html file to the Kindle?

kovidgoyal
11-21-2007, 06:35 PM
The aggregator creates a tree of HTML files, not a single one.

TallMomof2
11-21-2007, 07:42 PM

I went to his homepage listed in his profile and I don't see a Paypal button.

kovidgoyal
11-21-2007, 07:48 PM
I went to his homepage listed in his profile and I don't see a Paypal button.

It's an orange button that says "Donate" in the top right area of https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/

Zoot
11-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Just threw $25 your way as a contribution towards the Kindle, or some beer, or whatever :D

Z.

tsgreer
11-21-2007, 08:18 PM
I donated too. You know, Kovid, if you make a successful html2prc that works on a mac, your software will officially be the first .prc creator that works on Macs. That will help even the non-kindle people in the world...

DaleDe
11-21-2007, 08:25 PM
I donated too. You know, Kovid, if you make a successful html2prc that works on a mac, your software will officially be the first .prc creator that works on Macs. That will help even the non-kindle people in the world...

Well, almost true. The .prc extension is also used by eReader and they already have a version for the mac. .prc and .pdb are the only extensions permitted in ram on a Palm device so lots of tools double up on extensions. The real file type is determined by a resource check similar to other mac tools check PDB in the wiki for more data.

Actually on a pc mobiPocket prefers the .mobi extension.

Dale

tsgreer
11-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Well, almost true. The .prc extension is also used by eReader and they already have a version for the mac. .prc and .pdb are the only extensions permitted in ram on a Palm device so lots of tools double up on extensions. The real file type is determined by a resource check similar to other mac tools check PDB in the wiki for more data.

Actually on a pc mobiPocket prefers the .mobi extension.

Dale

Oh I didn't know that, thank you for the clarification. My ereader files on my mac have .pdb extension. All of the .prc files on my computer seem to be mobipocket, so I'll try to be more specific.:smash:

tompe
11-21-2007, 08:41 PM
The aggregator creates a tree of HTML files, not a single one.

For fun I tested libprs500. But I could not find how to get news from the command line and I could not find out how to get news and keep the HTML files so is this a feature that does not exist yet? I wanted to play around with the HTML files and also future firmware for Gen3 will probably support a tree of HTML files.

nekokami
11-21-2007, 09:02 PM
This would help out iLiad owners too, I think.

DaleDe
11-21-2007, 09:09 PM
This would help out iLiad owners too, I think.

and cybook owners.

Dale

Nate the great
11-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Is someone going to start a collection? I caved, but that does not stop someone else from doing it. If it is started again, I will contribute $30.

I do want him to develop the new software, I am just not comfortable collecting the money.

tsgreer
11-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Is someone going to start a collection? I caved, but that does not stop someone else from doing it. If it is started again, I will contribute $30.

I do want him to develop the new software, I am just not comfortable collecting the money.

I think people are just donating to him via his donate button on his webpage, that way we won't get in trouble here.

TallMomof2
11-21-2007, 10:12 PM
It's an orange button that says "Donate" in the top right area of https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/

Thanks! I was going to your personal web page listed in your profile.

HarryT
11-22-2007, 04:05 AM
Oh I didn't know that, thank you for the clarification. My ereader files on my mac have .pdb extension. All of the .prc files on my computer seem to be mobipocket, so I'll try to be more specific.:smash:

PDB and PRC are both just "wrappers" around any type of data. The contents of the file are determined by an 8-character field in the file header. In the case of a MobiPocket file this is either "TEXTREAD" or "BOOKMOBI". You'll see this if you open a Mobi file in a text viewer such as Notepad.

kovidgoyal
11-22-2007, 01:47 PM
@tompe
The command line is web2lrf also see the link to the user profiles section under the features section of the libprs500 wiki

@everybody
Thanks for all the support. I received nearly $200 yesterday, so at this rate I can probably get a Kindle anyway :-)

And I do intend to write html2prc as time permits.