View Full Version : Reading feeds on the Kindle for free

ajju
11-20-2007, 03:28 PM
No rocket science here. Just use a web based aggregator using the web browser. Should work as long as it doesn't require Javascript.

http://kindlehacks.net/2007/11/reading-feeds-on-kindle-for-free.html

TallMomof2
11-20-2007, 04:47 PM
According to the Kindle manual you can enable Java in the advanced options.

ajju
11-20-2007, 05:34 PM
TallMomof2: That's interesting. Is it Java or Javascript? Aggregators like Google Reader need Javascript not Java.

Hadrien
11-20-2007, 06:01 PM
I guess that the Mobipocket Desktop Software would work too.
With Feedbooks we can generate files from RSS feeds. If we add a Mobipocket output (shouldn't be too hard, we already support epub), people could simply add our url to their favorites, and download their feeds as a file that would be identical to what Amazon offer.

TallMomof2
11-20-2007, 06:16 PM
TallMomof2: That's interesting. Is it Java or Javascript? Aggregators like Google Reader need Javascript not Java.

On page 63 of the user manual:

"Your Kindle comes with an Experimental application called Basic Web which is a Web browser that is optimized to read text-centric Web sites. It supports JavaScript, SSL and cookies but does not support media plug-ins (Flash, Shockwave, etc.) or Java applets."

HTH

ajju
11-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Thank you :)

rflashman
11-21-2007, 07:52 PM
No rocket science here. Just use a web based aggregator using the web browser. Should work as long as it doesn't require Javascript.

http://kindlehacks.net/2007/11/reading-feeds-on-kindle-for-free.html

Which one? So far the 3-4 I've tried don't quite work. Some will pull up the feed, but though to their use of ajax or similar the links to the articles themselves don't work. What we need is a kindle-friendly web-based RSS reader.

bspooky
11-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Which one? So far the 3-4 I've tried don't quite work. Some will pull up the feed, but though to their use of ajax or similar the links to the articles themselves don't work. What we need is a kindle-friendly web-based RSS reader.

Has anyone tried www.bloglines.com?????

ajju
11-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Should work. Can you try it? I can't confirm because my Kindle hasn't shipped yet :(

bspooky
11-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Should work. Can you try it? I can't confirm because my Kindle hasn't shipped yet :(

I will try bloglines as soon as my kindle arrives...the 28th. uggggh. WHY did I delay ordering? I could have ordered overnight and had it last tuesday, but waited until after lunch and now...

Ahhhh well. Way the cookie crumbles sometimes. :-)

rflashman
11-23-2007, 01:09 PM

relax, it works fine... the mobile version is quite elegant.

Bear
02-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Has anyone tried www.bloglines.com?????
Indeed, I find the mobile version of both Bloglines and Google Reader to work quite well.

FWIW, all of the mobile Google Apps have been just stellar.

honeybunny
05-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Are you telling me that Google Reader mobile will work on the Kindle? That is absolutely fabulous! I don't have my Kindle yet so I don't know the answer here, but do you have to pay to use the internet, or are you time-limited or otherwise-limited (besides the obvious web browser functionality)?

Elsi
05-14-2008, 12:10 PM
I guess that the Mobipocket Desktop Software would work too.

With Feedbooks we can generate files from RSS feeds. If we add a Mobipocket output (shouldn't be too hard, we already support epub), people could simply add our url to their favorites, and download their feeds as a file that would be identical to what Amazon offer. Mobipocket Reader works great. I couldn't figure out how to get the Feedbooks RSS thing to work. I was experimenting with the PDF output, but all I got was the title of the "article", not the full text. When I discovered that the Mobipocket Reader would gather in the full text, I quit playing with Feedbooks. I'd love to try again with a Mobipocket feed instead of PDF.

wallcraft
05-14-2008, 01:28 PM
do you have to pay to use the internet, or are you time-limited or otherwise-limited (besides the obvious web browser functionality)? There is currently no cost or limit, but the browser is labeled "experimental".

honeybunny
05-15-2008, 12:18 PM
I tried it yesterday and didn't have much luck with more complex sites than Google.com. I will play some more at lunch-time.

l1n1234
05-19-2008, 01:26 PM
How were you able to get google reader to work on the Kindle. After signing in I can't get past the first screen. I have the settings on Advanced mode with javascript enabled.

honeybunny
05-19-2008, 01:44 PM
You need to use the mobile version. Google for "Google Reader Mobile" and it will give you the URL.Same thing for Gmail.

l1n1234
05-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Got it thanks. For any else with the same problem. Just add backslash/m to the address. For example www.google.com/reader/m

pilotbob
05-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Got it thanks. For any else with the same problem. Just add backslash/m to the address. For example www.google.com/reader/m (http://www.google.com/reader/m)

Ok, but erm, / is a forward slash otherwise known as a "whack" to unix types.

BOb

l1n1234
05-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Sorry. Exactly as Bob said.