View Full Version : Early technical info on the Kindle

Nate the great
11-20-2007, 01:15 PM
The Kindle shows up by name in my Mobipocket Desktop. (I don't know which version it is; it's at least 6 months old.) It shows up both as a reading device (with a PID) and as two drives (SD card and internal memory). I bought a DRMed PRC from Fictionwise. The Kindle recognized the file, and refused to read it. I tried with PRC and AZW suffix. Neither worked.

The Baen PRC work with and without being renamed to AZW.

The nonDRM PRC I have from Fictionwise also worked with the exception of the table of contents. I think this is because of how they generated the file.

My DOC came through just fine with pictures.

P.S. By the way, I claim first post on the Kindle!

I have not downloaded anything directly. I can't get a good signal.

TallMomof2
11-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Nate - Since the Kindle shows a PID in your Mobipocket Deskop, have you tried to register it with Fictionwise and see if you load the Fictionwise DRMed .PRC onto the Kindle?

If you're busy I can wait until I get mine tomorrow. :D

bwit
11-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Nate - Since the Kindle shows a PID in your Mobipocket Deskop, have you tried to register it with Fictionwise and see if you load the Fictionwise DRMed .PRC onto the Kindle?

Exactly what I was wondering. Looking forward to hear what you guys learn.

Bob

Nate the great
11-20-2007, 01:39 PM

If you're busy I can wait until I get mine tomorrow. :D

I guess it wasn't clear from my post that both the PIDs were registered. When I tried to open the ebook, the Kindle refused to read it because it wasn't from the Kindle Store.

I have downloaded stuff on the Kindle. The problem I had before was that I had not initialized the device. You do this by opening the menu, going to the "Settings" menu, and look at the information there. (That's all I did.)

The Washington Post was not worth buying. It was not the complete paper. No ads, but it lacked about half the content and there were no comics. That last one is the killer.

P.S. I forgot to mention before that I can see a folder marked "System" on the Kindle. I am going to go poke at it for a while and will be back in a second.

tribble
11-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Amazon is really mean. :(
Well, at least there is a chance, that either we can buy content from amazon in mobipocket format some time, and that the kindle can read other mobipcket retailer files aswell.

Nate the great
11-20-2007, 02:09 PM
This is another first. I am posting this from the kindle. The keyboard is not the greatest but it works for me.

dugbug
11-20-2007, 02:21 PM
This is another first. I am posting this from the kindle. The keyboard is not the greatest but it works for me.

You can browse the web on it? Did it give you data rate costs?

-d

Nate the great
11-20-2007, 02:33 PM
You can browse the web on it? Did it give you data rate costs?

-d

Currently it is free. At some point that will change and internet access will be one of the things purchased in the Kindle store.

vivaldirules
11-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Great job on the first tests of a Kindle, Nate! Let's see some karma for this guy!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Good news about the non-DRMed Mobipocket USB'd to the Kindle and also the DOC conversion with images. You might try uploading an HTML with images, too. And more than one person on the forum has mentioned that it could be done with a PDF although I don't recall seeing that anywhere in the manual or on Amazon's site. But you might try and let us know the result.

Too bad about the Washington Post. That would have been really neat to wake up and see the digital equivalent of the paper version every morning.

Hope you're having fun.

Aenea
11-20-2007, 03:42 PM
I guess it wasn't clear from my post that both the PIDs were registered. When I tried to open the ebook, the Kindle refused to read it because it wasn't from the Kindle Store.

It probably checks the vendor ID in the mobipocket file. If that is true they can be converted...

Hadrien
11-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Does the Kindle acts like a UMS device ?

Nate the great
11-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Does the Kindle acts like a UMS device ?

If UMS = USB Mass Storage, then yes.