View Full Version : Problem with adding .mobi files

Bowman
12-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Hey all,
I'm trying to load my very large library of .mobi books (1000+) from my computer to the Fire. I used Calibre to upload them. I've used my computer to explore the kindle's documents folder and everything appears to be right. But the kindle doesn't seem to be able to handle it. I've turned the kindle on and off, etc. But no matter what, I have the same 2 problems: A) it isn't displaying all of the books and B) for those that have loaded, it's displaying a gray rectangle rather than the cover and when I select the book, it zooms in on the cover, then returns me to the docs screen. As if it's beginning the process of showing the book, then aborting. Anyone have any ideas about what I might have done wrong? Or is the kindle just not able to support such a large document library?

Shack70
12-26-2011, 08:32 PM
I would guess it is trying to index all the books, why not add them in smaller chunks?

famousboot
12-26-2011, 08:40 PM
I've seen this posted, to get mobi books to show up in the Carousel:

"To get sideloaded books to show up in the carousel you need to remove the pdoc tag from the mobi book."

So far the mobi files I've run across have readily shown up though, no pdoc tag removal necessary.

sparklemotion
12-26-2011, 08:42 PM
"To get sideloaded books to show up in the carousel you need to remove the pdoc tag from the mobi book."

For some of my books I also had to add the ebok tag in place of the pdoc tag or they wouldn't show under books.

ratkity
12-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Once you replace the pdoc tag, you have to reconvert to mobi. Yes, do a mobi > mobi. THEN, and this is important, go in Calibre and remove the oldmobi files and any other file types except the mobi you just made. There's a great batch command to do this to all 1000 books after you select them all (alt-a).

Some of my books were old old converts from various formats. I just used Calibre to create a cover for it when I couldn't find one online (especially for old, unpopular books).

Good luck!

Hugs,
Ratkity

Bowman
12-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks! Trying the pdoc replace fix now. Hopefully it works :)

Skydog
12-26-2011, 10:45 PM
All of my converted .mobi books contain the [PDOC] tag and they all display normally on the bookshelf AND the carousel.

Blossom
12-26-2011, 10:57 PM
I would guess it is trying to index all the books, why not add them in smaller chunks?

The Kindle Fire does not index books like a Eink Kindle.

It's possible there is a limit on how many books the Fire can handle. :chinscratch: You could try a factory reset and adding them in smaller chunks like the Poster quoted said. It could be choking for other reasons or it could be a limit.

sparklemotion
12-26-2011, 11:33 PM
I know in the storage specs they state you can fit 6,000 books on the fire (assuming that was all you put on it) so I'm sure it's able to handle a large amount. I would do as Shack and Blossom said and try putting them on in smaller packs. Good luck. :)

salsaguy
12-27-2011, 02:39 AM
One thing i read recently as a tip for having books show up is to make sure there is no spaces in the filename.

Blossom
12-27-2011, 02:42 PM
One thing i read recently as a tip for having books show up is to make sure there is no spaces in the filename.

That isn't necessary on the Kindles. All my books have filenames like this.

Author - [Series 01] - Title.mobi

They show up fine on my K3, K4 and Kindle Fire.

hn333
12-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Does anyone know how to remove the [PDOC] tag without having to re convert it?

frankz
12-28-2011, 06:01 PM
You can use the mobi2mobi gui to edit that specific exth entry (change 501 CDEContentType from PDOC to EBOK)

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Sync_with_non-Amazon_eBooks_on_Windows

JSWolf
12-28-2011, 07:42 PM
For some of my books I also had to add the ebok tag in place of the pdoc tag or they wouldn't show under books.

How do you do that?

Also, if I convert from ePub to Mobi using Calibre, is there any issue?

hn333
12-28-2011, 08:31 PM
You can use the mobi2mobi gui to edit that specific exth entry (change 501 CDEContentType from PDOC to EBOK)

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Sync_with_non-Amazon_eBooks_on_Windows

Thanks, I'll check it out.