View Full Version : Kindle allows for book sharing on linked acnt

dugbug
11-19-2007, 01:12 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/19/many-details-about-the-kindle/

You can bind five or six devices to a single account, and share books you've purchased to those accounts. There's no simultaneous reading lock, so if you and your significant other are on the same Amazon account you can both read the same book at the same time on your Kindles.

That's sexy

-d

Alexander Turcic
11-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Would something similar work with Sony Connect?

HarryT
11-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Would something similar work with Sony Connect?

Sure - it does work. You can register up to 5 Readers on the same Connect account and share books.

Alexander Turcic
11-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Sure - it does work. You can register up to 5 Readers on the same Connect account and share books.

I thought so. I just couldn't remember for sure.

da_jane
11-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Right, but only the Kindle devices can read the books. Not a PC.

pilotbob
11-19-2007, 01:50 PM

Right, but each PC is considered a device. So, if you wanted to have 6 readers in seperate states you can't do it... you would be limited to basically 3 readers. Of course, if all the readers are in the same household and could all sync to the same PC, then that would work with Sony.

With Kindle... they can be geographically disperesed and still work. I would only have had to buy 1 copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for the family rather than the 5 we bought. ;)

BOb

TallMomof2
11-19-2007, 02:03 PM
Only problem is that J K Rowling will not allow the books to be published electronically. I hope she changes her mind.

Tom Swift
11-19-2007, 10:10 PM
She is worried about piracy if her books are released electronically. Talk about being out of the loop.

CCDMan
11-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Right, but only the Kindle devices can read the books. Not a PC.

Having read a few books a my laptop in the old days, I can say that is not an issue. Since the Sony I would not even consider the eyestrain inducing read on any LCD or CRT device. So in that respect the Kindle is a bit better.

You could buy your whole family Kindles for XMas and they could all share their books, even if they live in another part of the world (assuming they have internet).

OK, now we will all be deluged with European folks who want us to buy them, send them, and share books. <g>

HarryT
11-20-2007, 02:33 AM
Right, but each PC is considered a device. So, if you wanted to have 6 readers in seperate states you can't do it... you would be limited to basically 3 readers. Of course, if all the readers are in the same household and could all sync to the same PC, then that would work with Sony.

With Kindle... they can be geographically disperesed and still work. I would only have had to buy 1 copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for the family rather than the 5 we bought. ;)

BOb

They can be geographically dispersed with the Sony too. All you'd have to do would be to download the file from one PC, and then e-mail it (or whatever) to the owners of the other Readers.

tribble
11-20-2007, 03:55 AM
Only problem is that J K Rowling will not allow the books to be published electronically. I hope she changes her mind.

Well, i heard that this is not entirely true. She seems to be willing to publish electronically, but from what i heard, she wants an astronomically large sum up front, which probably could never be earned today, even with Harry Potter ebooks.

pilotbob
11-20-2007, 10:49 AM
They can be geographically dispersed with the Sony too. All you'd have to do would be to download the file from one PC, and then e-mail it (or whatever) to the owners of the other Readers.

I wasn't aware of that. So clarify, if the reader of the second user is registered to the same account then the downloaded file will work on it? But the other PC that they are synching with doesn't need to be registered?

Still alot more work then the Kindle... which I would get if I didn't already have the Sony. I will still get a Kindle if they are still going strong and the price goes under $200.

BOb

tirsales
11-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Well, i heard that this is not entirely true. She seems to be willing to publish electronically, but from what i heard, she wants an astronomically large sum up front, which probably could never be earned today, even with Harry Potter ebooks.

As if she wouldn't own enough from royalties afterwards .. Oh well, whatever.

HarryT
11-20-2007, 03:04 PM
I wasn't aware of that. So clarify, if the reader of the second user is registered to the same account then the downloaded file will work on it? But the other PC that they are synching with doesn't need to be registered?

That's right. All you need a PC to be registered for is to buy books - not load them onto the Reader.

nekokami
11-20-2007, 04:57 PM
This is the first time I've heard that. Do you remember where you read or heard it?

I like the idea of everyone in the family being able to read off the same account, but the Kindle is too pricey for my family. And since they still don't have much in the way of books for kids, half my family wouldn't be interested anyway.

I'm very happy with my iLiad, but apart from that, the DRM and the fact that Amazon retains the right to examine what's on the device at any time kind of put me off. The Kindle could still end up being quite popular, but it's not the right device for me.

I wonder if part of the reason for the restrictive Kindle-only DRM was because they were worried about making back their hardware investment... if so, it would seem that they didn't need to worry about that after all.