View Full Version : Kindle Book selection

CommanderROR
11-19-2007, 12:42 PM
I just did a brief check and found that the Kindle Edition books are really looking useful. I can find several books I have so far not seen as ebooks which is nice. There are still a few missing (like still no books by Joseph Delaney) but since this is the first day I'm actually quite impressed.

Of course this makes me even more unhappy about the whole US-Only deal...:smash:

HarryT
11-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Given that AZW files are MobiPocket, it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that a consequence of the Kindle launch will be a big increase in the number of titles available via other MobiPocket stores.

AlexC
11-19-2007, 12:51 PM
I was quite surprised to see a number of very useful (and somewhat obscure) textbooks that I use for day-to-day reference available as Kindle editions. It will be interesting to see how equations and figures are handled, and if text will be reflowable.

Or, at least it would be if I were in the US. I wonder if the Whispernet leaks a bit over the border... one can hope!

TheMooch
11-19-2007, 12:53 PM
I just did a brief check and found that the Kindle Edition books are really looking useful. I can find several books I have so far not seen as ebooks which is nice. There are still a few missing (like still no books by Joseph Delaney) but since this is the first day I'm actually quite impressed.

Of course this makes me even more unhappy about the whole US-Only deal...:smash:

Unfortunately, content providers still appear to be unwilling or unable to release some things to digital. I've been waiting for the Wheel of Time series and the Drizzt series to hit digital for years.

MaggieScratch
11-19-2007, 12:56 PM
For my own reading preferences, public domain works are well represented, especially if they're on Project Gutenberg, and more recent books are fairly well represented, but two of my favorite authors, Dorothy L. Sayers (at least as far as the Lord Peter Wimsey books go) and Georgette Heyer, are unavailable. I'm sure Amazon will expand the titles available, and as both of these authors still sell respectably well, that they will be available soon.

Nate the great
11-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Just want to let everyone know that I am trying to download a subscription to the WaPo and a single issue of TIME. So for their system will not let me do either. When I can download them, I will post an update on whether they are DRMed.

TheMooch
11-19-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm sure Amazon will expand the titles available, and as both of these authors still sell respectably well, that they will be available soon.

I used to think the same thing. Some have turned up, others are still noticeably absent. I would GLEEFULLY donate all of my hard copy books to a local library or school if all of my favorite titles were available. Unfortunately, the only electronic versions available are only as scanned and OCR'd (read pirated) texts.

What I'm waiting for:
Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time Series (Tor publishing)
R.A. Salvatore: Drizzt Dourden Series (Wizards of the Coast Publishing)
Elizabeth Moon: Paksenarrion series (Baen Publishing)

I'd LOVE to move over to the Kindle as it's a step in the right direction. The ability to buy from the reader ROCKS. BUT (and it's a big one) transitioning means that the books I've bought for my Sony Reader will be lost unless I maintain the reader (or if Sony suddenly decides to allow the format onthe kindle...like THAT will ever happen). Not something I look forward too.

pilotbob
11-19-2007, 01:25 PM
BUT (and it's a big one) transitioning means that the books I've bought for my Sony Reader will be lost unless I maintain the reader (or if Sony suddenly decides to allow the format onthe kindle...like THAT will ever happen). Not something I look forward too.

Hence the problem with proprietary and DRM formats. You don't really "own" the content like you do with a book.

You can share them, move them to another device, sell them, burn them for heat if OIL gets to expensive... etc.

Hence, I think DRM books should be ALOT cheaper than paper books!

BOb

TheMooch
11-19-2007, 01:32 PM
The DRM formats are definitely the main reason for lack of adoption. I think that we would see a marked improvement in conservation efforts if everyone agreed on a specific format then just fought it out in hardware wars. Charging the large premium for paper copies would eventually deter their use in favor of digital.

TallMomof2
11-19-2007, 01:32 PM
What I'm waiting for:
Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time Series (Tor publishing)
R.A. Salvatore: Drizzt Dourden Series (Wizards of the Coast Publishing)
Elizabeth Moon: Paksenarrion series (Baen Publishing)

Yeah, that! Robert Jordan did release prologues to the last few novels to eBook but you still had to buy (or borrow) the paper book in order to read the whole thing.

MaggieScratch
11-19-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm worried about the DRM and the proprietary format. I didn't buy an iPod because of DRM, and I could at least easily rip my own CDs and have them work on an iPod. One can "rip" a book but it's certainly not as easy as ripping a CD!

TheMooch
11-19-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm worried about the DRM and the proprietary format. I didn't buy an iPod because of DRM, and I could at least easily rip my own CDs and have them work on an iPod. One can "rip" a book but it's certainly not as easy as ripping a CD!

I've got a cd FULL of books "ripped" into Palm compatible formats. I'd love to be able to read them on a device like the Kindle. Ive also got books purchased from eReader.com (Palm format)....then I RE-purchased some of them on Sony Connect.

I have a strong feeling that Kindle stands a MUCH better chance of becoming mainstream. They've got the widest selection BY FAR. The online (PC browser) store is super easy to search through and the online backup is just plain smart.

NatCh
11-19-2007, 01:42 PM
What I'm waiting for:
Elizabeth Moon: Paksenarrion series (Baen Publishing)What are you waiting for? It's six bucks at Webscriptions, no DRM.

http://webscriptions.net/p-100-the-deed-of-paksenarrion.aspx

:grin:

TheMooch
11-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Yeah, that! Robert Jordan did release prologues to the last few novels to eBook but you still had to buy (or borrow) the paper book in order to read the whole thing.

Unfortunately the Wheel of Time series suffered a setback with the death of Robert Jordan earlier this year. Supposedly he had all of the notes and recording made to finish the series.

wallcraft
11-19-2007, 01:43 PM
What I'm waiting for:
Elizabeth Moon: Paksenarrion series (Baen Publishing) I don't think Baen e-books will ever be available from Amazon in AZM format, but you can buy them without DRM from www.webscription.net and they will work on the Kindle. Copy Baen's .PRC version directly to the Kindle via USB, or e-mail a suitable version (RTF? or PRC?) to Amazon to convert for you ($0.10 charge).

TheMooch
11-19-2007, 01:45 PM
What are you waiting for? It's six bucks at Webscriptions, no DRM.

http://webscriptions.net/p-100-the-deed-of-paksenarrion.aspx

:grin:

SWEEEEEET. Didn't know about that. The obvious question though is what devices can I read it on? Can I put it on my Sony Reader? Kindle? Palm? Blackberry?

Searching for answers on the site now. :)

Thanks Natch!

JSWolf
11-19-2007, 01:54 PM
SWEEEEEET. Didn't know about that. The obvious question though is what devices can I read it on? Can I put it on my Sony Reader? Kindle? Palm? Blackberry?

Thanks Natch!
Get the LIT version and use lit2lrf to convert. Or get the RTF and use Book Designer.

NatCh
11-19-2007, 02:11 PM
SWEEEEEET. Didn't know about that.How have you been around here for almost a year and missed hearing about Baen's Webscriptions? :unafraid: It comes up about once a week. :grin:

I usually go for the RTF and convert it to whatever I need. If I had a Reader that used one of the other formats I'd probably use those, but still download the RTF for archival purposes. :shrug:

TheMooch
11-19-2007, 02:24 PM
How have you been around here for almost a year and missed hearing about Baen's Webscriptions? :unafraid: It comes up about once a week. :grin:

LOL I don't spend as much time here as I could....true...I'm usually reading. :)

nekokami
11-19-2007, 02:24 PM
I looked up a few authors I'm interested in, to see if Kindle editions are available yet.

Heinlein - same 5 books available everywhere else.
McCaffrey - looks like a pretty complete lineup - 50 items, same as Fictionwise.
Orson Scott Card - only 4 books, same as Fictionwise.
Garth Nix - 4 books, all available elsewhere - no "Keys to the Kingdom" volumes
Tamora Pierce - only 3 books, same as Fictionwise
Terry Pratchett - 34 titles (No Good Omens!)
Neil Gaiman - 16 books, still no Good Omens
Shannon Hale - none - a "children's" author who has won multiple awards
J.K. Rowling - none (no surprise there)
E. Nesbit - 8 books, presumably all from PG
Steven Brust - none
Tolkein - none
Paolini - both books plus the "limited edition" of Eldest -- what kind of sense does that make???
Asimov - 25 titles, including the Oct/Nov 2003 issue of Asimov SF Magazine
???
P.C. Hodgell - none, good thing Baen has them
Charles de Lint - 6 titles (ok, FW only has 2, Mobipocket has 3 - Kindle is ahead here.)
Jacqueline Wilson - two, not her best (IMHO), same as FW
Meg Cabot - 37 books, some of which say "(MOBI)" in the title ;) - FW has 38
Spider Robinson - none (FW also has none, Baen has only a few)
C.J. Cherryh - 27 books, reasonable coverage, but no Wave Without a Shore - which has just become available via Fictionwise (bringing their total to 28). Woohoo! Guess who gets my money today!

Overall summary: Amazon may boast the largest inventory of e-books, but they don't have significantly more of what I'm looking for than existing vendors... yet. Except for Charles de Lint, who's hard to find in ebooks even on the darknet. So that's something to watch.

NatCh
11-19-2007, 02:26 PM
LOL I don't spend as much time here as I could....true...I'm usually reading. :)I think you mean that you don't spend as much time here as you should. :laugh4:

Baen is great -- I just wish they published even more books than they do!

TheMooch
11-19-2007, 02:34 PM
I think you mean that you don't spend as much time here as you should. :laugh4:

Baen is great -- I just wish they published even more books than they do!

I downloaded the Honor Harringtong Series and converted them just prior to going to China for 3 weeks earlier this year. What a GOOD move. I read of them in the 3 weeks I was in China. My Sony Reader was a definate life saver. :)

Red Alert
11-19-2007, 06:19 PM
One real advantage to me that the Kindle Store offers is the NEW books being offered at $9.99 each.

I'm PO'd that SonyConnect store wants approx. $25 for the new Clive Cussler books and yet I can buy the same book in hardback at COSTCO for approx. $16!! How can this be?

Sony doesn' seem to be interested in increasing readership through lower prices than hard or paperback novels.

I'd be tempted to get the Kindle just for the cheaper prices. I suspect that as time goes by someone will code a converter that allows the file to be converted to another format. I'd like that to permit me the option to read any book I've bought on any reader I own.

Red

igorsk
11-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Amazon bears the price difference. It loses money on every bestseller sold. I guess that's something Sony isn't prepared to do.

JSWolf
11-19-2007, 08:03 PM
From what I've been told from various ebook shops, the publisher sets the price, but the stores. Yes, they could lose money lowering the price, but is that really a good idea?

DaleDe
11-19-2007, 08:20 PM
From what I've been told from various ebook shops, the publisher sets the price, but the stores. Yes, they could lose money lowering the price, but is that really a good idea?

Time will tell. Loss leaders are known techniques. It is a good reason to have a DRM that can't be used on any device where you didn't make the profit for the device. Of course, pricing models could change down the road.

Dale

da_jane
11-19-2007, 09:35 PM
The publishers sell to distributors at a discounted price. I.e., the big box retailers get the books at 40% off. Wal-mart and book clubs get them at a higher discount rate, but I don't know how high. Each retailer can then set a price.

i.e., because of the numerous markdowns of the Harry Potter book it was reported that no retailer actually made money on the sale of the Potter book.

CCDMan
11-19-2007, 11:40 PM
What are you waiting for? It's six bucks at Webscriptions, no DRM.

Indeed. I have been reading tons of that on my Sony. Gladly, I can now re-download all of these again (as BAEN lets you do that) in unencrypted Mobi and put them on the Kindle. This is perhaps the main reason I ordered it today. If I had NOT been able to put BAEN stuff on there, I would not have ordered one.

Maybe that should tell Amazon something.....

Barcey
11-20-2007, 12:00 AM
They are probably losing money on the current releases where they've already negotiated the price but betting for future releases they have enough clout to get a better price on the ebook edition. The publishers have a weak case to charge the same price for ether editions that they do for pulp. I would guess they've already negotiated better prices with some publishers and others haven't agreed to it yet.

I'm sure Amazon is used to selling off some books at a loss (hard cover editions that didn't sell) so selling some current releases at a loss wouldn't be that bitter of a pill to swallow. It's not likely to be a long term business strategy though.

TallMomof2
11-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Bezos stated in the interview with Newsweek (http://www.newsweek.com/id/70983/page/5) that he is losing money on the New York Times Bestsellers and new releases by selling them at $9.99 US but he can do this indefinitely because "We have a lot of experience in low-margin and high-volume sale—you just have to make sure the mix [between discounted and higher-priced items] works."

I buy plenty of stuff off of Amazon all the time because of the convenience factor. I'd rather spend a few dollars more than schlep from store to store looking for a particular item. I buy almost all my pbooks from them because I can't stand the idea of paying retail for a book at a chain bookstore. *If* there were any small local bookstores near me, I would patronize one of them.

HarryT
11-20-2007, 08:09 AM

Thanks Natch!

For the Sony Reader, get the LIT or RTF version and convert.

For the Kindle, Palm, or Blackberry you can use the Mobi version as it stands.

HarryT
11-20-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm PO'd that SonyConnect store wants approx. $25 for the new Clive Cussler books and yet I can buy the same book in hardback at COSTCO for approx. $16!! How can this be?

Sony doesn' seem to be interested in increasing readership through lower prices than hard or paperback novels.

It's nothing to do with Sony. The publisher sets the price.

astra
11-20-2007, 11:29 AM
I didn't find anything from Malazan series by Steven Erikson as well as the last book by Robin Hobb - Renegade's Magic: Book Three of The Soldier Son Trilogy

catsittingstill
12-04-2007, 08:23 PM
I didn't find anything from Malazan series by Steven Erikson as well as the last book by Robin Hobb - Renegade's Magic: Book Three of The Soldier Son Trilogy

Well, when I looked on the Amazon Website, Renegade's Magic doesn't come out in hardback until Jan 8th--another month and a bit.

Baen brings out e-ARCs, but I've never heard of any other publisher doing it.

I'm guessing the Kindle edition will come out either with the hardback, or with the paperback release depending on how seriously Eos takes the Kindle.

astra
12-05-2007, 04:11 AM
Well, when I looked on the Amazon Website, Renegade's Magic doesn't come out in hardback until Jan 8th--another month and a bit.

Baen brings out e-ARCs, but I've never heard of any other publisher doing it.

I'm guessing the Kindle edition will come out either with the hardback, or with the paperback release depending on how seriously Eos takes the Kindle.

Yeah, you are right. I forgot to mention it. In a few days after I posted here I have noticed that it was not published in the USA yet. What confused me was that it was published in the UK in June, so I never paid attention on publication date in the USA.