View Full Version : Request for the Kindle to be released internationally!

CommanderROR
11-19-2007, 12:38 PM
So, since the Kindle is quite oviously a US-Only Reader once again, I would like to aks all mobilereaders who are also interested in this device to write to Amazon.com (Kindle section) and ask them when this device will be available in other countries.

I just sent them a short message asking about availability in Germany. If we manage to get their attention they might just consider selling a version without EV-DO and with GPRS instead to the rest of the world.

It's worth a try after all...:deadhorse:

Go here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=sv_kinh_6/002-1961977-5885614?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200127470) to send that mail... ;)

Click on the link for "customer support" on the right.

Alexander Turcic
11-19-2007, 12:38 PM
How about starting a petition? ;)

CommanderROR
11-19-2007, 12:45 PM
I'd rather have 10000 people asking one by one...it get's the point across better in my opinion... ;)

Alexander Turcic
11-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Ok. I want one. Sent directly to Switzerland, please.

CommanderROR
11-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Don't tell me, tell Amazon.com

:D

HarryT
11-19-2007, 01:19 PM
I've already written to Amazon UK about it.

FixB
11-19-2007, 01:25 PM
As stated on another post, I wouldn't buy this ugly thing for the life of me, even for the huge pleasure to be potentially trapped with an amazon specific format :)

Alexander Turcic
11-19-2007, 01:27 PM
The question is: Is it in Amazon's power to go international with the Kindle as of right now? If I remember correctly when we talked with Sony, it's not only a matter of distribution but also of signing contracts with the various publishers. In addition, Amazon would need to find a teleco carrier who would offer their Whispernet feature.

HarryT
11-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Oh I don't want to buy one; I just object on principle to devices only being available in a single market.

HarryT
11-19-2007, 01:29 PM
In addition, Amazon would need to find a teleco carrier who would offer their Whispernet feature.

And change the hardware; EVDO doesn't work in Europe, and the frequency it uses almost certainly isn't free for that purpose.

Alexander Turcic
11-19-2007, 01:31 PM
And change the hardware; EVDO doesn't work in Europe, and the frequency it uses almost certainly isn't free for that purpose.

Which also means the device would have to go through the whole evaluation process again (FCC is for US only).

CommanderROR
11-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Yes, but it should be no big deal for Amazon to integrate GPRS/UMTS instead of EV-DO. A simple hardware swap and driver exchange would be all it needs.

The telco provider would be a different matter, but it should not be hard for a huge corporation like Amazon to find a partner...

HarryT
11-19-2007, 01:38 PM
The telco provider would be a different matter, but it should not be hard for a huge corporation like Amazon to find a partner...

That's true; I think the big providers like Vodafone either cover the whole of Europe, or have "partnering" agreements in countries where they don't operate themselves.

Charbax
11-19-2007, 02:22 PM
I think HSDPA would be a better idea for Europe.

Yup, most probably Amazon shares a small part of the revenue with the telco. And I think there should be a per-MB or per-GB package for bandwidth that would be consumed on free stuff such as free blogs, free access to Google Booksearch, free ebook services, Google News, Wikipedia with pictures, web browsing, reading emails and writing emails and more.

DaleDe
11-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Which also means the device would have to go through the whole evaluation process again (FCC is for US only).

And CE for Europe.

Dale

ashalan
11-19-2007, 03:50 PM
If the Kindle is a success in the USA Amazon will without a doubt make it available to other areas as well (even if that means changing the hardware).

No offense intended, but I don't really think sending E-Mails to Amazon will change anything in there business plans. No doubt they discussed markets outside of the USA, considered technical restrictions, made market analysis, etc. and - apprently - came to the conclusion that it was best to target the US market first to see how the Kindle and Kindle books sell.

CommanderROR
11-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Well, I honestly don't understand their reasoning...and of course their mp3 sales are apparently US only.
The Sony Reader is now out as Second Generation but still US exclusive...I think we DO have to shout at them for a while to really get their attention...they might think we are not interested...

tirsales
11-19-2007, 04:11 PM
And please add the following points in the petition:

1. A PC-Software (Java-based, I need Linux-support) to read kindle-books
2. Kindle - to - DRM-Mobipocket-Converter Software. I want to read Kindle-eBooks on an iLiad or similar.
3. UMTS/GPRS Support.
4. Open their Kindle-Format. Even an OpenSource-Format might be DRM'd...

Then - I would love it. Otherwise I will hate it.
It's simple ;)

ashalan
11-19-2007, 04:45 PM
2. Kindle - to - DRM-Mobipocket-Converter Software. I want to read Kindle-eBooks on an iLiad or similar.

Amen :pray:

Alisa
11-19-2007, 05:22 PM

Or they could just drop a WiFi NIC in that thing and call it a day.

CommanderROR
11-19-2007, 05:47 PM
I just got a reply from Amazon Customer service. It was pretty much standard fare and did not offer any real information. It sounded real helpful and everything, but I'm guessing the Kindle for us non-US residents is a far way off at best.

Here is the email:

Hello from Amazon.com.

Thank you for writing to us about purchasing content from the Amazon
Kindle Store in Germany.

At this time, we are unable to offer the Amazon Kindle and
associated digital content from the Kindle Store to our
international customers due to import/export laws and other
restrictions.

When you place your order for an Amazon Kindle, both the billing
address for the payment method and the shipping address for the
delivery must be recognized by our systems as valid United States
addresses.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We value our
international customers and hope to make content available in your
location in the future. Please continue to check our website for
additional information on supported locations.

Thank you for your interest in Amazon Kindle.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

mattimatt
11-19-2007, 05:59 PM
To me some parts of the Kindle idea seem cool but other aspects of this device based DRM look scary. Perhaps they will sell it in Europe at some later date but for now I'm very happy with my two European devices (Cybook and iLiad). I think we should support the European initiative and not even consider asking for a Kindle on the European market at least for some time. Let's see how it plays out.

CommanderROR
11-19-2007, 06:36 PM
OK, now this is bad news...

I sent a second inquiry to Amazon.com and got this reply:

Hello from Amazon.com.

Thank you for writing to us about purchasing content from the Amazon
Kindle Store in the future.

At this time, I am not aware of any concrete plans to offer the Amazon
Kindle and associated digital content from the Kindle Store to our
international customers in the near future. Of course, this may change
or there may be information we are not privy to but please understand
that we do not have any more information about a time frame for
offering this service outside the United States at this time.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We value our
international customers and hope to make content available in your
location in the future. Please continue to check our website for
additional information on supported locations.

tirsales
11-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Well, this just affirmes my believe. And clarifys why I believe that Amazon is ... oh well, at least their pbook-shop is rather good and fast-delivering... The Kindle .. I have said my part.

Oh well, apparently Amazon has a very brain-dead marketing (more to say would be rude...) and design team, I guess they give nothing about consumer-opinions (they have learned absolutely nothing from the last years) so I guess I will stop writing about the kindle. Saves your time and my nerves.

NatCh
11-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Two weeks ago they wouldn't "comment on rumors and speculation" about the Kindle -- Amazon has proven their ability to keep their collective mouth shut on this Kindle business: if it weren't for Engadget trawling the FCC files last year, we might well have been totally blind-sided by the thing.

I'm not saying they're doing it this time, and I'm not suggesting that it's so, only pointing out the facts that we don't really know and they've been good at not telling. :shrug:

CommanderROR
11-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Well. I'll also be leaving this sector for a while...means I can upgrade my computer after all...somebody please wake me if/when somebody finds out that people outside the US might also have an interst in ebooks...even if they are english...

My Girlfriend keeps on bugging me that I should get her some ebooks, but there are simply almost no german-speaking titles around, even on the darknet...apart from a small slection of classics at PG/manybooks...

AlexC
11-19-2007, 07:21 PM
I submitted a question about using the Kindle from Canada and just got a response back from Amazon. Basically, it can be used, in a limited fashion, if you have a US billing address. Content can be downloaded from the Amazon web site and transferred to the Kindle via USB:

"Hello from Amazon.com.

Thank you for writing to us about purchasing Kindle content while
traveling outside of the United States.

To successfully purchase digital content from the Amazon Kindle Store,
the 1-Click payment method listed on the Manage Your Kindle page must
have a United States billing address. Please make sure the billing
address you use for these purchases is listed as your United States
billing address.

Once the purchase is made, if you are outside of the United States it
will be necessary to download the content to your Kindle using your
USB connection with a computer which is logged into your Amazon.com
account.

Your Kindle comes with a USB cable to attach Kindle to your Windows or
Macintosh computer. When attached to your computer, your Kindle screen
displays a message that you are in USB Drive Mode.

To connect Kindle to your computer, follow these steps:

1. Plug the USB cable into an available USB port or a powered USB hub
on your computer.
2. Connect the USB cable to the USB port at the bottom of your Kindle.

When Kindle is connected to your computer, you will see three folders
in the main Kindle directory on your computer screen. You can drag and
drop files from folders located on your computer into the Kindle
directory.

Once your Kindle is connected via a USB connection it will be
necessary to download your purchase to your computer so they can be
transferred to your Kindle, please follow the instructions below to
complete this process.

TO START A DOWNLOAD FROM YOUR MEDIA LIBRARY ON AMAZON.COM:
1. Visit Your Media Library on Amazon.com (www.amazon.com/gp/library).
2. Locate the desired title on the Downloads tab.
3. Click the button to the right of the title that lists the desired
download location.

- "Download to computer" saves the file to your computer so you can
transfer it to your Kindle using the USB connection.

Information on this topic also appears on the Kindle Support pages at
this URL:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

I hope you found this information useful. Our goal is to help you get
the most out of your Kindle experience. If you need further
assistance, please contact customer support at 1-866-321-8851.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

If yes, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-y?c=rbeedbta3312654471
If not, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-n?c=rbeedbta3312654471&q=dgk1

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept
incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section
of our web site.

Best regards,

Nick B
Amazon.com Customer Service
http://www.amazon.com"

Charbax
11-20-2007, 12:18 AM
They probably cannot produce enough Eink panels quickly enough to also sell them in Europe before Christmas. But I expect a EU version with a HSDPA/WiFi/none wireless switch sometime soon.

mrsp
11-20-2007, 02:44 AM
Hey guys

You're all in danger of hypocrisy - Europe is not the only thing outside the US!!! There's little old me down here in Australia and I know there are other Aussie posters. I will send them (Amazon I mean) an email as I agree with CommanderROR.

Interesting, their response for Canada. On the bongus website, they say that if you sign up with them, you can add their US address ot your non-US credit card as a second address and they claim that it will process as if it were a US credit card. If this works, then it would be possible to use Kindle from outside the US. I am also curious about whether Connect bookstore would work too. I haven't tried as I don't have a device but if someone would like to experiment....

Personally, I don't like the idea of needing a contract with a phone company to use the wireless feature. Standard wifi that lets you use hotspots and your home internet connection is far better. Where I live, one phone company has a virtual monopoly and we pay through the nose. Its far cheaper to download over home internet than anything else.

For those people who are motivated by reading more than by gadgets, the $399 outlay plus the phone contract plus the cost of the actual content just don't make it very competitive with the alternative widely available and universally compatible device we have now - good 'ol paper.

On the other hand, its still cheaper than a cybook for me so if the US billing address on credit card can be worked out, I would seriously consider getting one. Although by the same logic, if it works for Connect then the sony is the better buy right now.

I think it will be interesting to see what the next 12 months brings from Sony and everyone else including from providers outside the US in terms of devices and also what all these new devices and new ebook stores do in terms of improving content.

Sparrow
11-20-2007, 03:15 AM
To me some parts of the Kindle idea seem cool but other aspects of this device based DRM look scary. Perhaps they will sell it in Europe at some later date but for now I'm very happy with my two European devices (Cybook and iLiad). I think we should support the European initiative and not even consider asking for a Kindle on the European market at least for some time. Let's see how it plays out.

I agree with Mattimatt.
At the moment, for readers outside the US, the Kindle is irrelevant. I wonder if it would even get past the EU's anti-competition regulations in its current form.
If it is seen as a threat to indigineous booksellers there'll be a lot of resistance.

FixB
11-20-2007, 04:52 AM
By the way, I read on others posts that amazon is loosing money on some of the ebooks they sell way under the publisher price. This would not be allowed in France where there is a maximum of 5% debate on a publisher price for a given distributor. This law is specifically to stop big librairies (online or otherwise) to kill their 'small' competitors... too easily...

tribble
11-20-2007, 05:04 AM
By the way, I read on others posts that amazon is loosing money on some of the ebooks they sell way under the publisher price. This would not be allowed in France where there is a maximum of 5% debate on a publisher price for a given distributor. This law is specifically to stop big librairies (online or otherwise) to kill their 'small' competitors... too easily...

Well, they pay the publisher 35% of their suggested retail price, if i read correctly. That is very little. And they claim the right to sell it to any price they like. So i do not think, that they are putting money in.

Mobipocket gives the publishers 50% of the suggessted retail price. The retailers get a 30 to 40% , that leaves mobipocket with about 10% for each sale.

Compare that to Amazon, and you see what kind of profit they will draw from the ebooks and what freedom it leaves them to sell way cheaper than any other mobipocket retailer.

HarryT
11-20-2007, 05:27 AM
I got a reply to my e-mail to Amazon UK. Just the usual generic "we do not offer this product at the current time. Keep checking our web site for possible updates" answer.

HappyMartin
11-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Hey guys

You're all in danger of hypocrisy - Europe is not the only thing outside the US!!! There's little old me down here in Australia and I know there are other Aussie posters. I will send them (Amazon I mean) an email as I agree with CommanderROR.

I.

And down in the bottom end of Africa we are happy to gather up any old crumbs. Anyone have any old crap you no longer have a use for please just send it on down. Second hand toilet paper, nuclear waste and of course our great favorite, millions of land mines that have passed there sell by date. We are more than happy to trade for gold, platinum, diamonds, uranium, oil and any other commodities we have lying about.

Don't mind me, I'm having a bad day.:tired:

nekokami
11-22-2007, 01:08 PM
And down in the bottom end of Africa we are happy to gather up any old crumbs. Anyone have any old crap you no longer have a use for please just send it on down. Second hand toilet paper, nuclear waste and of course our great favorite, millions of land mines that have passed there sell by date. We are more than happy to trade for gold, platinum, diamonds, uranium, oil and any other commodities we have lying about.

Don't mind me, I'm having a bad day.:tired:
I guess so! Hey, I think of you guys on a fairly regular basis. Sadly, I don't have much to offer in exchange for your commodities (or anything else). :(

strangeseraph
12-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Its amazing how products like the Kindle, Zune, iPhone, etc, have been manufactured solely with US marketplace and technologies in mind without any thought to how well the device will work in outside markets. As if they predict the only good sales will come from the US. (Or they hope so! Maybe having a US only device would drive up the price of it overseas in preperation for a later launch!)

I don't know much about the market, but all I know is that iPhone, Kindle and Zune are not available in Canada. And it sucks.

Alisa
12-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Its amazing how products like the Kindle, Zune, iPhone, etc, have been manufactured solely with US marketplace and technologies in mind without any thought to how well the device will work in outside markets. As if they predict the only good sales will come from the US. (Or they hope so! Maybe having a US only device would drive up the price of it overseas in preperation for a later launch!)

I don't know much about the market, but all I know is that iPhone, Kindle and Zune are not available in Canada. And it sucks.

I'm not that familiar with Zune but both iPhone and Kindle required partnerships to launch. The iPhone is now coming out in Europe because they made partnerships there. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kindle comes out in other places, too. There are tons of products, I would venture to say most, that do not launch globally. Usually products launch in stages. There are tons of mobile phones available in Europe and Asia that we never see here. Not ever. Not even a few months later. No one's screaming that Nokia is discriminating against the US. Even Motorola, a US company, often debuts their phones in Asia. I understand that America deserves plenty of bashing for a variety of things but this has nothing to do with American feelings of superiority. It's business plain and simple.

DaleDe
12-08-2007, 05:42 PM

It is likely that they haven't passed the appropriate FCC standards for Canada. It has its own standard and I believe they will not accept the US testing.

Dale

Charybdis
07-21-2008, 12:31 PM
There was a rumor that Kindle will launch internationally, using Vodafone's system for "Whispernet".

Now it is July already, but still no Kindle internationally. Any news on this?

cush
07-21-2008, 04:22 PM
After reading through this thread I'm wondering why those living outside the US don't just buy a Kindle as it is and then just download the ebooks via the Internet to be loaded manually via the included USB cable? Is there a problem paying for ebooks from outside the US as opposed to paying for regular Amazon paper books? The wireless connectivity is convenient but not essential. Software updates might be a problem, though.

desertgrandma
07-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Well, this just affirmes my believe. And clarifys why I believe that Amazon is ... oh well, at least their pbook-shop is rather good and fast-delivering... The Kindle .. I have said my part.

Oh well, apparently Amazon has a very brain-dead marketing (more to say would be rude...) and design team, I guess they give nothing about consumer-opinions (they have learned absolutely nothing from the last years) so I guess I will stop writing about the kindle. Saves your time and my nerves.

From everything I've read Amazon has been bombarded with requests for outside the US service. Now, do you really think, knowing the money to be made, they aren't working on solutions? Why would they knowingly give up the money to be generated thru sheer stupidity? No one knows why they aren't expanding as of yet. They aren't talking. I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Rumors are rampant, but no one has any facts.

astra
07-21-2008, 05:31 PM
After reading through this thread I'm wondering why those living outside the US don't just buy a Kindle as it is and then just download the ebooks via the Internet to be loaded manually via the included USB cable? Is there a problem paying for ebooks from outside the US as opposed to paying for regular Amazon paper books? The wireless connectivity is convenient but not essential. Software updates might be a problem, though.

I would not buy it even if I lived in the USA. Don't like, as simple as that.
If tomorrow Kindle was sold in the UK and Sony is still in the USA, I would go for Sony.

desertgrandma
07-21-2008, 05:52 PM
If tomorrow Kindlle was sold in the UK and Sony is still in the USA, I would go for Sony.

As is your right. Thats whats so wonderful about ebook readers.....there are so many that no one has to go without. :D

TheJohnNewton
07-21-2008, 05:54 PM
After reading through this thread I'm wondering why those living outside the US don't just buy a Kindle as it is and then just download the ebooks via the Internet to be loaded manually via the included USB cable? Is there a problem paying for ebooks from outside the US as opposed to paying for regular Amazon paper books?

You need a US credit card to purchase Kindle books. Also they won't ship a Kindle to a non-US address so you would need to jump that hurdle.

I guess the reason for wanting a Kindle outside the US would be for the Amazon ebooks? Otherwise why not just buy any of the other ereaders with eInk screens. Minus the cell phone connection they would be nearly identical functionaly.

astra
07-21-2008, 05:56 PM
As is your right :D

Yeah, I know :D. I answered to cush on his question:I'm wondering why those living outside the US don't just buy a Kindle as it is

DaleDe
07-21-2008, 07:03 PM
You need a US credit card to purchase Kindle books. Also they won't ship a Kindle to a non-US address so you would need to jump that hurdle.

I guess the reason for wanting a Kindle outside the US would be for the Amazon ebooks? Otherwise why not just buy any of the other ereaders with eInk screens. Minus the cell phone connection they would be nearly identical functionaly.

Depends on what you call nearly identical.

No dictionary on the Sony
No notes on the Sony, Cybook (iLiad only does notes on PDF files)
No searching on other units. (search for eBooks and search within eBooks)
No keyboard (to facilitate searches, dictionary lookup, notes)
No screen capture
No Audible support

If these features are important then the Kindle might still be the best unit in spite of the hassle of obtaining one.

Dale

cush
07-21-2008, 07:39 PM
If tomorrow Kindle was sold in the UK and Sony is still in the USA, I would go for Sony.

I guess I was imprecise. I didn't understand why those posters to this thread who desired a Kindle didn't etc, etc.

Why are you participating in this Kindle oriented subforum if you wouldn't buy one?

What is the point of your post? I wouldn't, for example, buy a car produced in England because I think they are poorly engineered and low quality- so what?

cush
07-21-2008, 07:44 PM

Thank you, John. I didn't realize that. I guess some one who was Stateside would have to buy it and transship it to you. The requirement to have a US based credit card to buy Kindle books would make it impractical anyway.

Oh well, it was a thought.

TheJohnNewton
07-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Depends on what you call nearly identical.

No dictionary on the Sony
No notes on the Sony, Cybook (iLiad only does notes on PDF files)
No searching on other units. (search for eBooks and search within eBooks)
No keyboard (to facilitate searches, dictionary lookup, notes)
No screen capture
No Audible support

If these features are important then the Kindle might still be the best unit in spite of the hassle of obtaining one.

Dale

Ah yes thanks. I'm so focused on the reading experience I don't pay attention to much else, lol.

The dictionary is handy but the default one is a bit limited. I like the search function also. I don't use the other functions but they could be important to others.

astra
07-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Why are you participating in this Kindle oriented subforum if you wouldn't buy one?

What is the point of your post?

To answer to your question
I'm wondering why those living outside the US don't just buy a Kindle as it is

I live outside the USA and I don't have kindle although I could get one.
Here is why:
I would not buy it even if I lived in the USA. Don't like(kindle), as simple as that.

TheJohnNewton
07-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Astra,

If you're here to answer his question then I'm sure you can do better than "don't like (Kindle)". It would be a lot better answer if you said why you don't like it.

astra
07-22-2008, 01:05 PM
It has been discussed too many times. I didn't want to repeat myself.

Keyboard. My ebook reader will not have actual physical keyboard. It ruins a whole reading experience for me.
I don't like its form factor. I believe it is ugly, bulky and far less convenient than Sony Reader.

Sony Reader for me is an ideal way how ebook reader should look/feel and work.

Not having search functions, dictionaries, taking notes etc., do not bother me because none of my hardback editions of printed books have these features (or even paperback editions :)). However, Sony Reader is so much more convenient to travel with than printed books and it doesn't have any unneccessary bells and whistles that would degrade reading experience. It is as close to a real book as electrical gadget could.

I fully appreciate that there are people who think/feel different and that's why they bought Kindle and they are happy with their choice. Fair enough. However, I don't like kindle for all the reasons mentioned above and that is why I didn't and would not buy kindle at least its current version.

I believe it is enough? :)

TheJohnNewton
07-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Ok, fair enough. "Don't like" was a bit brief having never read your posts on the subject before. ;)

cush
07-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Once again astra seems to miss my point.

People abroad already wanted a Kindle were asking in this thread when would it function internationally. Why are we supposed to care why you (astra) don't like it?

John answered my question regarding why someone who already wanted one wouldn't/couldn't buy one if they liver outside the States.

Enough. I'm becoming cranky and intolerant in my old age.

astra
07-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Enough. I'm becoming cranky and intolerant in my old age.

Who cares?

cush
07-22-2008, 05:59 PM
No one-that's the point.:closed:

JMikeD
07-25-2008, 03:25 AM
Personally, I don't like the idea of needing a contract with a phone company to use the wireless feature. Standard wifi that lets you use hotspots and your home internet connection is far better.

You don't need a contract with a phone company to use the Kindle wireless feature. Amazon takes care of that at no charge to the consumer, the cost is built into the purchase price. You just buy the Kindle and turn it on and go.

WiFi would be useless to me. I don't fancy driving down to a Starbucks just to download a book. The AT&T wireless is much more available to me than WiFi.

Alisa
07-25-2008, 10:43 PM
You don't need a contract with a phone company to use the Kindle wireless feature. Amazon takes care of that at no charge to the consumer, the cost is built into the purchase price. You just buy the Kindle and turn it on and go.

WiFi would be useless to me. I don't fancy driving down to a Starbucks just to download a book. The AT&T wireless is much more available to me than WiFi.

Amazon is Sprint EVDO, not AT&T but your point remains the same. If there were free open WiFi everywhere, that would be great, but there isn't. If it were a WiMax metro network it might be competitive but free WiFi hotspots don't help you when you're on a train like DH is every day.

TallMomof2
07-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Just got back from vacation (forgot my Kindle :( ) and had to rely on my Touch. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find free WiFi. The only place I could reliably use my Touch was the hotel. Elsewhere I would've had to purchase something from the shop or pay. I'm allergic to caffiene so I don't even walk near Starbucks. And I know that the Sprint EVDO coverage was great so I was doubly sad (where's a crying smilie, an oxymoron if I've ever seen one, when you need it?)

Alisa
07-28-2008, 02:48 PM
You forgot your Kindle! I'm trying to imagine what that "oh s***" moment was like. That's like one of those nightmares where you show up at school and find out there's an exam you didn't know about and then your pants disappear.

JSWolf
07-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Actually, the oh sh!t! moment can be even worse when you aren't sure if you left it at home or lost it.

JMikeD
07-29-2008, 01:24 AM
Amazon is Sprint EVDO, not AT&T

Did I really write that? Slip of the wit, I know better. :)