View Full Version : First Forum Member to order a Kindle

Nate the great
11-19-2007, 07:38 AM
I claim the title.

I ordered my Kindle this morning, and the confirmation email had a timestamp of 6:29am EST (about 10 minute before this post).

Did anyone beat me to it?

P.S. Here is where I got it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000FI73MA?tag=mobileread-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=am1&creativeASIN=B000FI73MA&adid=0YN7G1CMDZQZB4J47SWC&

leandroide
11-19-2007, 07:47 AM
I just tried from Spain (just for trying, not for actually buying it) and:

*** We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the update button below. ( See geographical restrictions.) ***

:oops2:

Nate the great
11-19-2007, 07:49 AM
I just tried from Spain (just for trying, not for actually buying it) and:

*** We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the update button below. ( See geographical restrictions.) ***

:oops2:

I'm sorry to hear that.

melmurray
11-19-2007, 07:55 AM
I tried from Ireland with the same result. Looks like a US only release.

TallMomof2
11-19-2007, 07:58 AM
I just one-clicked it. I'm curious about it and decided that this is my Christmas present.

Alexander Turcic
11-19-2007, 09:12 AM
I tried from Ireland with the same result. Looks like a US only release.

Same results from Switzerland. :disappoin

HarryT
11-19-2007, 09:15 AM
What a surprise (not!) :(.

TadW
11-19-2007, 09:18 AM
To all non-US guys: Why would you even want to buy it? You won't be able to use its wireless capabilities which pretty much reduces the Kindle to a "normal" e-reader device.

TallMomof2
11-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Nate -

Have you received your "Welcome to Kindle" email?

Here's mine:

"Dear TallMomof2,

Thank you for your purchase and welcome to Amazon Kindle.

We built Kindle with the goal of creating an exceptional and hassle-free reading experience. As such, we wanted to point out a few details before you get started on Kindle.

Your Kindle is automatically registered to the same Amazon.com account you used to make your purchase. This enables you shop, purchase, and download books, newspapers, and magazines wirelessly from your Kindle device right out of the box. Your Kindle purchases are made using your existing default 1-Click payment method at Amazon.com. If you wish to change the payment method associated with your Kindle, you can do so by visiting Manage Your Kindle on Amazon.com.

If you purchased your Kindle as a gift for someone else, you should deregister your Kindle device from your Amazon.com account. You can deregister your Kindle from the Settings page on the device or at Manage Your Kindle on Amazon.com.

You can start building your library before your Kindle even arrives by shopping for books, newspapers, magazines and more at the Kindle Store on Amazon.com. Amazon's unique wireless delivery system, Amazon Whispernet will auto-deliver your purchases directly to your Kindle. Once you receive your Kindle, you can also shop the same great selection directly from your device.

Here's what you have to look forward to reading on your Kindle:

* More than 80,000 books including New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases for $9.99, unless marked otherwise.
* Top U.S. and International newspapers including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Le Monde, and Frankfurter Allgemeine.
* Top magazines and journals including TIME, Forbes, and Atlantic Monthly - all wirelessly delivered to your Kindle before they hit the newsstands.
* More than 250 top blogs from the worlds of business, technology, sports, entertainment, and politics, including Slashdot, Techdirt, Boing Boing, FOX Sports, Michelle Malkin, and The Huffington Post.

We hope you enjoy reading on Kindle and look forward to hearing about your experience. Send us your feedback at kindle-feedback@amazon.com.

Sincerely,

The Amazon Kindle Team"

Tom Swift
11-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Did not work with my Chinese address (no big surprise) and also did not work with my Canadian address.

Once again, a company is ignoring the vast majority of people. Must be nice to be so fabulously wealthy and successful that you do not need more customers.

Alexander Turcic
Nate -

Have you received your "Welcome to Kindle" email?

Wow, there's some great info in this mail, thank you! Now we know more about the newspapers, magazines and blogs being offered.

CommanderROR
Thank you for posting this. It gives us a little more insught...although the "you can shop before you received your kindle..." might not be entirely true since you can't do that just yet...but who knows what the day might bring.

I'm really looking forward to hearing from you guys about the Kindle "First Hand"...
Only sad that there is still no mention of international sales...only international newspapers.

Edit: I don't know...who -outside of germany- would be interested in reading the "Frankfurter Allgemeine"???

igorsk
11-19-2007, 09:34 AM
So, CAN you buy books already or not, TallMomof2?

TallMomof2
11-19-2007, 09:40 AM
There is a link in the email "Managing Your Kindle" which links to a 404 page. I can't buy books or even see any but I'm sure that will change.

Forgot to add there is a link to the Kindle bookstore but it's not working either.

SanAntone
11-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi everyone,

Just ordered the Kindle and received the introductory email. Nice touch on Amazon's part. Thanks for providing the link. Couldn't find it any other way.

Nate the great
11-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Hi everyone,

Just ordered the Kindle and received the introductory email. Nice touch on Amazon's part. Thanks for providing the link. Couldn't find it any other way.

I don't have the email yet. The order has not been canceled, so I bet the email is simply stuck in my spam filter. Drat.

SanAntone
11-19-2007, 09:47 AM
I think you're right Nate. My email arrived within a minute of purchase.

TadW
11-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks for providing the link. Couldn't find it any other way.

It's not publicly advertised yet. I'd love to see those guys at Amazon wondering about the first incoming orders :grin2:

Nate the great
11-19-2007, 09:55 AM
I finally went looking for my spam folder. It's actually 3 web pages away from my email account. Go figure. But I do have the email; it arrived about a minute after the purchase.

astra
11-19-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't know if this link has already been posted here, so I am going to do it.
kindle (http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-com-kindle/dp/B000FI73MA)

The GreatGonzo
11-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Edit: I don't know...who -outside of germany- would be interested in reading the "Frankfurter Allgemeine"???

Expatriates who need to keep up on current events so they don't look like complete idiots when they visit Germany once a year ... if it wasn't for Mobipocket's RSS feeds for the Iliad, I still wouldn't know what Hartz IV is or what it's doing to the country... or that there's a railroad strike going on ... or know about the increasingly amusing saga of the planned Transrapid in Munich ("monorail, monorail, monorail")

As suggested in another thread: Wouldn't it be relatively easy for Amazon to make newspaper subscription and delivery available for other e-readers? Alternatively, if a newspaper is already creating content for one e-reader, wouldn't it be easy to make that subscription available to other companies? In other words, shouldn't Irex be talking to the FAZ right now?

I know, I keep going on about this ... but CommandeROR is obsessed with battery life, others get worked up about DRM - my pet peeve is that there's still no newspaper for the Iliad...

HarryT
11-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Did not work with my Chinese address (no big surprise) and also did not work with my Canadian address.

Once again, a company is ignoring the vast majority of people. Must be nice to be so fabulously wealthy and successful that you do not need more customers.

I've just e-mailed Amazon UK to ask them if there are any plans to release it in the UK.

CommanderROR
11-19-2007, 10:48 AM
good luck...^^

azog
11-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Well, I said to heck with it, and ordered it, despite my personal reservations. I also just got the Cybook (I was one of the lucky ones to get their first production batch), so it'll be interesting to compare the two. I guess it'll be here either Wednesday or Friday (with Thursday being Thanksgiving).

tsgreer
11-19-2007, 02:18 PM
I just ordered mine--after I spent the whole evening telling myself I didn't need one. But I watched the little introduction video about it on amazon and I couldn't help it. It is supposed to be delivered to my house tomorrow (11-20-2007).

I'm on a mac, so I can't even create mobi files!! But I hope they release something that lets us mac people create our own mobi content. I'm a wikipedia fiend, so I couldn't resist that option and the dictionary option...

Alexander Turcic
11-19-2007, 02:26 PM
I just ordered mine--after I spent the whole evening telling myself I didn't need one.

Congrats on your purchase! Please tell us about your first experiences as soon as it arrives :drool:

rflashman
11-19-2007, 03:16 PM
I ordered mine, arrives Wednesday. For me it is all about subscription content. Something Sony promised and never delivered. I don't care if wireless or wired, just want the NYT every morning.

wallcraft
11-19-2007, 03:42 PM
II'm on a mac, so I can't even create mobi files!! If you have wine installed, then mobigen.exe probably works - at least it does under Linux (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=103279&postcount=2r9). Add -jpeg to the standard set of mobigen options, since it typically gives better images.

One side effect of Kindle may be a rapid increase in (drm-free) .MOBI tools. At least, I hope this is the case.

TallMomof2
11-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Mine's been shipped, too! Wednesday's the day.

Zoot
11-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Tuesday for me (Amazon Prime ftw! :)

Will have it side by side with the Sony Reader to compare.

Oh, and Amazon have already assigned it a name and I've assigned it an email address and bought my first book! So far the whole Kindle infrastructure is living up to the expectations for such a device coming from Amazon.

Kinda hoping the display contrast might be a bit better than on the Sony, but it sounds like they use pretty much the same display.

Z.

Nate the great
11-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Tuesday for me (Amazon Prime ftw! :)

Oh, and Amazon have already assigned it a name and I've assigned it an email address and bought my first book! So far the whole Kindle infrastructure is living up to the expectations for such a device coming from Amazon.

Kinda hoping the display contrast might be a bit better than on the Sony, but it sounds like they use pretty much the same display.

Z.
See if it will let you download the ebook to your computer. I keep getting error messages.

Zoot
11-19-2007, 07:53 PM
See if it will let you download the ebook to your computer. I keep getting error messages.
The AZW file downloaded to my desktop in about 5 seconds. No problems at all apart from there not being a darn thing I can do with thie file ;)

Z.

Nate the great
11-19-2007, 07:58 PM
The AZW file downloaded to my desktop in about 5 seconds. No problems at all apart from there not being a darn thing I can do with thie file ;)

Z.

Rename the suffix to MOBI or PRC and see if it is encrypted. I assume you have a Mobipocket Reader.

TallMomof2
11-19-2007, 08:00 PM
I can download a book to my pc and Mobipocket sees the file and displays the title but I get an error message. Same message I get when I downloaded DRMed Mobi books before I registered my Mobipocket on my PC's PID.

My Kindle has been picked up from Amazon's warehouse in Lexington Kentucky.

TallMomof2
11-19-2007, 08:02 PM
And renaming it from .AZW to .PRC doesn't make a difference.

It's the DRM.

Zoot
11-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Rename the suffix to MOBI or PRC and see if it is encrypted. I assume you have a Mobipocket Reader.

It recognizes it as a .mobi file and goes out to the net and downloads the book cover image and the full burb text for the book. Trying to open it results in an error:

"The retailer AMAZON_1110 of the eBook <book name> has not been found in the list of Mobipocket partners."[...]

So it looks like they need only the will to make this happen at some point. I'm sure the content is non-trivially encrypted.

Z.

igorsk
11-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Hmm that's interesting. It seems they use basically the same DRM scheme, just a different PID generation. I will need to look into it...

DaleDe
11-19-2007, 08:45 PM

Z.

Well that should end the FUD going around that you have to be where EVDO can be received to buy and load a book. Well, probably not, people like to go on about their pet idea without regard to the facts.

Dale

Zoot
11-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Well that should end the FUD going around that you have to be where EVDO can be received to buy and load a book.
Also it's clear from the manual that you don't need EV-DO coverage for the device to work. It will fall back to the slower 1x RTT (or whatever it is) Sprint data network if you're not in true EV-DO coverage.

But this is definitely FUD-day :)

Will be interesting to see what people have to whine about tomorrow once people have the things to play with.

Z.

Alexander Turcic
11-20-2007, 04:16 AM

I cannot wait to hear what you say ;) (please make some photos if you can!!)

Zoot
12-11-2007, 03:19 PM
This thread also has probably out-lived it's stickiness.

Z.