View Full Version : Amazon Kindle revealed (on Newsweek cover)

Alexander Turcic
11-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Alright, the whole Kindle thing is getting a little out of hand. I promise I won't say anything more about it (at least for today, *grin*). So, without further ado, here is the frontpage cover of next week's Newsweek which has an exclusive on Amazon's highly anticipated e-book reader (click to enlarge):

For more Kindle small talk (including details from the Newsweek article), check out this thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16209) and also this one (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16153).

RWood
11-18-2007, 03:31 PM
So it does look a lot like the advance pictures we saw of it from the FCC.

TadW
11-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Well, at least it's white now... before (FCC) it had the same colors like my ancient Commodore C64.

Hadrien
11-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanx for the larger version of the image. It does look a bit better than the FCC image.

JSWolf
11-18-2007, 04:02 PM
But it does have one problem with the cover. Some people might think it has a color capable screen.

Alexander Turcic
11-18-2007, 04:19 PM
But it does have one problem with the cover. Some people might think it has a color capable screen.

Whether intentional or not, I agree, it's misleading.

Sparrow
11-18-2007, 07:45 PM
'Interesting' design, but won't a white case look grubby quite quickly?

Nate the great
11-18-2007, 07:48 PM

Yep, it will get dirty quick.

That won't be a problem, though. I bet you $10 it will also be available in black.

CCDMan
11-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Interesting page change bars. Hopefully not too easy to change (by accident).

I am still not clear on the connectivity. I assume it can be connected to a PC by USB. Hopefully it will not just work with wireless.

I read a lot of non-DRM stuff so if it does not support non-drm in a decent fashion, it would be no sale for me.

I guess we need to wait until some forum members have one in hand for a REAL unbiased review! That will happen quickly, I assume

CommanderROR
11-18-2007, 08:44 PM
I guess that depends on whether or not they go for sale in Europe...if I have to import it from the US then it might get tricky... ;)

Dave Berk
11-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Since no one is saying it (in this thread :D) I will say it: This is ugly, very ugly!

Nate the great
11-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Interesting page change bars. Hopefully not too easy to change (by accident).

I am still not clear on the connectivity. I assume it can be connected to a PC by USB. Hopefully it will not just work with wireless.

I read a lot of non-DRM stuff so if it does not support non-drm in a decent fashion, it would be no sale for me.

I guess we need to wait until some forum members have one in hand for a REAL unbiased review! That will happen quickly, I assume

I think it's now safe to rely on the manual. Yes, you can connect it to a PC with a USB cable.

seamusfp
11-18-2007, 08:54 PM

More importantly the white case will cause you to see a white point whiter than the display, causing the already greyish screen to look moreso.

MMascaro
11-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Using the two pictures as a basis, the slope on the right side might be a good idea. If you have it sitting flat while reading. The slope would be a better idea for leaning your right hand over the keyboard and entering text one handed.

AlexC
11-18-2007, 10:55 PM
Yep, it will get dirty quick.

That won't be a problem, though. I bet you $10 it will also be available in black.

I'm new, but I'll take that bet! I'm guessing that Amazon will let you buy a Kindle in any colour you like, as long as it's white.

Maybe a while after launch, when people have complained long enough, they might relent and break out with off-white or, for the thrill seeker, gasp, black. ;) The tone of the article seemed like they mean for the hardware to fade into the background and be as inoffensive and bland as possible.

EatingPie
11-19-2007, 12:43 AM
It's SO ugly, it actually makes me fear for the future of e-books.

When the iPod launched it was hot because it was so well designed, inside and out. It blew EVERYTHING away... and look it still does.

This thing is about as stylish as a brick. Looks about as portable as a brick too. I really don't see people jumping up and down and screaming "WOW! I WANT THAT!" any time soon. Look at the lukewarm response it's getting from die-hard e-ink fans here!

And I really see the whole publishing industry looking on, while nobody buys this contraption. The Kindle tanks, Amazon sells no e-books, e-books are declared a failure. :(

Yeah that's pessimistic, but man that design scares me, and I LOVE e-books.

-Pie

Cogito
11-19-2007, 01:42 AM
From Newsweek:
"Amazon prices Kindle editions of New York Times best sellers and new releases in hardback at $9.99."
That's got to help the future of ebooks.

HappyMartin
11-19-2007, 02:12 AM
I don't care what colour it comes in, it will never be pretty. Invisible paint would help I suppose.

hidari
11-19-2007, 02:42 AM
Since no one is saying it (in this thread :D) I will say it: This is ugly, very ugly!

Agreed. does it come with a Toaster?

Adam
11-19-2007, 03:49 AM
Question is why doesn't the kindle use mobipocket. Amazon owns the company, doesn't it? Hopefully it will use mobipocket and then by transference we can get mobipocket magazines on other devices.

Alexander Turcic
11-19-2007, 03:53 AM
Question is why doesn't the kindle use mobipocket. Amazon owns the company, doesn't it? Hopefully it will use mobipocket and then by transference we can get mobipocket magazines on other devices.

Adam, the Kindle uses the Mobipocket format.

What's unclear, at this point, is if other devices supporting Mobipocket can use Kindle books as well.

ischeriad
11-19-2007, 05:21 AM
I'm new, but I'll take that bet! I'm guessing that Amazon will let you buy a Kindle in any colour you like, as long as it's white.

Maybe a while after launch, when people have complained long enough, they might relent and break out with off-white or, for the thrill seeker, gasp, black.

May I ask for a brown version? :grin2: Only then I will admit, that the kindle is ugly. Since noone said it (in this thread): I still like it.

Sparrow
11-19-2007, 07:14 AM
It doesn't look very comfortable to hold; almost like they think it will lie on the desk most of the time its being used.
I'd have made the keyboard detachable - if you're just settling down to read a novel, you probably wouldn't need it, and it'll get in the way.
Also, if the keyboard was a seperate unit, it could be more ergonomically designed than the one on the unit (altho wear and tear could be an issue).

Barcey
11-19-2007, 08:02 AM
Bezos is my hero by selling new release e books at $9.99 even though the publishers don't agree. At least not Penguin reading the article. If he can force them to see the light by even selling current releases at loss that is a good thing. It's fine for the publishers to hide in their back rooms and justify it to each other why they can't sell them cheaper but if I was Bezos I wouldn't want to stand in front of the media and try to explain why the electronic editions cost the same as a hard cover physical book. The Kindle is looking better all the time.

I had to laugh when I saw the quote from the Penguin CEO that the digitization process is a real choke point and how new releases go through it all the time. Of course if you first print the book and then put it through a digitization process it will become a choke point. :smack:

igorsk
11-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Adam, the Kindle uses the Mobipocket format.
Do you have a quote? I didn't see any confirmation of that. And "Kindle Edition" does suggest a different format.
By the way, Microsoft did something similar, abandoning PlaysForSure in Zune and using new DRM.

Alexander Turcic
11-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Do you have a quote? I didn't see any confirmation of that. And "Kindle Edition" does suggest a different format.
By the way, Microsoft did something similar, abandoning PlaysForSure in Zune and using new DRM.

Hmm you're of course right. For some reason Mobipocket is drilled into my head whenever I hear Amazon. But of course it's possible that "Kindle Edition" is something completely different!