View Full Version : Creating epub with inline block problem

Gerlyn
12-22-2011, 10:08 AM
I am using Sigil to create epubs by hand to work in Ibooks. Want to use inline-block for page breaks. I proof it in ADE and it works fine - doesn't work in Ibooks as I have read it should. Been using Liz Castros website and books as references, even her example of inline-block epub doesn't work in my Ibooks. These are smaller documents and I would prefer not to break them up as chapters to get the same page break effect. Help?

Jellby
12-22-2011, 10:26 AM
inline-block is not a property officially supported by the ePub spec, so I wouldn't rely on it.

Gerlyn
12-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Is this new? I thought at one point it was an allowed CSS Structure. Do I have any other options?

theducks
12-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Is this new? I thought at one point it was an allowed CSS Structure. Do I have any other options?

CSS is NOT EPUB
What is allowable on a web page may not be allowed in a real EPUB (Variants excluded).

Jellby
12-22-2011, 12:38 PM
It is allowed, in the sense that it is not forbidden, and the ePub will be valid. But it is not a required feature, so compliant readers do not need to support it, and they'd still be compliant.

theducks
12-22-2011, 02:59 PM
It is allowed, in the sense that it is not forbidden, and the ePub will be valid. But it is not a required feature, so compliant readers do not need to support it, and they'd still be compliant.

Good point.
Making use of limited supported features or bleading edge technologies, just limits your market size. So unless your goal is to demonstrate the Bleading Edge feature, choosing to use a middle of the road feature set is probably a good business move :thumbsup: