View Full Version : New dictionary and Gen3

HarryT
11-17-2007, 08:34 AM
I've not bought a new English dictionary in almost 30 years, so I thought that it was about time that I updated mine. Consequently I've just bought the new 10th edition of Chambers dictionary from MobiPocket.

First impressions are that it works very well indeed. On the Mobi desktop reader it lets you do word searches (including wildcard searches) - that will be my main use of it. On the Gen3 the "Lookup" facility works pretty well, and seems to ignore punctuation (which is good). I've tried it with a few of the more obscure words from Sherlock Holmes (eg "minatory", "prognathous", "gasogene") and it found them all. Seems to deal with inflected forms reasonably well. eg "bespoke" offered me both "bespoke" and "bespeak", "surmises" found "surmise", "appreciating" found "appreciate".

All in all, a good buy.

Alexander Turcic
11-17-2007, 08:42 AM
Harry, I wish I had a dictionary lookup function on my Sony Reader. I love to read English books, but as a non-native speaker, sometimes I encounter words I haven't heard before... in which case it would be fantastic if I could quickly look'em up. Oh well.

HarryT
11-17-2007, 10:39 AM
I was rather skeptical about the use of the dictionary at first, but now I can see myself using it a fair amount. The word "lookup" interface works pretty well (you select "lookup mode" from the menu, and the naavigation keys move you a word at a time up, down, left, right across the page); a "search" function would be nice, like the desktop reader has, but the dictionary is certainly useful without it.

tompe
11-17-2007, 11:42 AM
I would really like to be able to program one of the volume buttons to get into lookup mode. Or be able to move the entry in the menu so it is the first one. The entries I select most often is "Lookup Mode" and "Back to Library".

diabloNL
11-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Which one did you buy Harry? Because there are multiple choices on MobiPocket.com

HarryT
11-26-2007, 01:23 PM
The Chambers Unabridged 10th Edition. Cost $50. I'm very happy with it indeed.

diabloNL
11-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks Harry. How did you choose between all those choices? Or can't you use all of them on the Cybook in order to use the lookup function.

I'm a little bit lost here. :(

HarryT
11-26-2007, 01:33 PM
The Chambers appears to be the most comprehensive English dictionary that Mobi sell. As you say, there is a huge range! I was torn between the Chambers and Concise Oxford, but in the end went for the Chambers.

It may not be the right choice for someone for whom English is not a first language, but I like it a lot.

diabloNL
11-26-2007, 01:35 PM
But do they all work with the Cybook's lookup function?

HarryT
11-26-2007, 01:39 PM
But do they all work with the Cybook's lookup function?

Oh yes, they all work, and you can have more than one installed if you wish. The lookup function works extremely well.

diabloNL
11-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Great! Maybe it's time to order myself a Cybook G3. I really like this lookup function because I find quite some words in my books that I don't understand and this will help a lot.

Or do I just need to give myself (read "girlfriend") a reason to buy one. :P

EDIT: Do you happen know if the Hanlin V3 has this function as well?

HarryT
11-26-2007, 01:56 PM
You can see how it works with the Mobi desktop reader, and the sample downloads of the dictionaries (the sample normally only has words starting with "A", or something like that). It's a slightly different user interface on the Gen3, but the basic functionality is the same.

On the desktop reader you can just right click on a word and select "lookup" from the popup menu; on the Gen3 you choose "Lookup" from the menu, and then move a highlight around the page which highlights one word at a time, and moves left, right, up, and down.

diabloNL
11-26-2007, 02:05 PM
I just tried it and it works very good. :)

HarryT
11-26-2007, 02:07 PM
EDIT: Do you happen know if the Hanlin V3 has this function as well?

I don't know. I suspect not, because these dictionaries are all MobiPocket books, and I don't think the V3 supports MobiPocket.

diabloNL
11-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks Harry. I'm trying to show my girlfriend how incredible useful the Sony Reader would be for her because she travels a lot. Now she's dragging a lot of books with her in her suitcase. Also, every now and then she needs to buy a new closet to store her books and that means that I need to go to Ikea. I don't know if you know what kind of store Ikea is but for me it's a real nightmare to go there. :uhoh2:

HarryT
11-27-2007, 04:18 AM
Also, every now and then she needs to buy a new closet to store her books and that means that I need to go to Ikea. I don't know if you know what kind of store Ikea is but for me it's a real nightmare to go there. :uhoh2:

Oh yes, I know. My house is furnished almost entirely from Ikea :). They have an enormous "superstore" only about 10km away from my house.

SUSGOD
11-28-2007, 11:03 AM
My husband struggled last week to assemble bookcases from Ikea to house our SciFi collection. See photos attached.

Susan

Thanks Harry. I'm trying to show my girlfriend how incredible useful the Sony Reader would be for her because she travels a lot. Now she's dragging a lot of books with her in her suitcase. Also, every now and then she needs to buy a new closet to store her books and that means that I need to go to Ikea. I don't know if you know what kind of store Ikea is but for me it's a real nightmare to go there. :uhoh2:

HarryT
11-28-2007, 03:32 PM
They do sell some very good bookcases. I've got lots of them :).

astra
11-30-2007, 06:08 AM
They do sell some very good bookcases. I've got lots of them :).

Yup.
IKEA was the only shop where I could buy good, solid bookshelves with glass doors for a decent price.

diabloNL
12-02-2007, 10:14 AM
I hope that someone can help me with my choice. I can't choose between the following dictionaries:

The Chambers Dictionary (http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/BookDetails.asp?BookID=63978)
Concise Oxford English Dictionary (http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/BookDetails.asp?BookID=19122)
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, 7th edition (http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/BookDetails.asp?BookID=56162)

I'm not native English and need the dictionary to lookup a word when I'm reading a book and can't understand a certain word. The books I read are mostly by American authors. That's why I thought the last one would be a good choice. Any advice is more than welcome. Or maybe a completely different dictionary?

Thanks!

HarryT
12-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Both the first two are good - I have no experience of the third; I'm not entirely sure what a "Learner's Dictionary is"! I've bought the Chambers myself; I have a paper version of the "Concise Oxford". Both are excellent. The Chambers is more comprehensive (ie contains more words), but is more expensive.

julia
12-02-2007, 10:30 AM
I hope that someone can help me with my choice. I can't choose between the following dictionaries:

The Chambers Dictionary (http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/BookDetails.asp?BookID=63978)
Concise Oxford English Dictionary (http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/BookDetails.asp?BookID=19122)
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, 7th edition (http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/BookDetails.asp?BookID=56162)

I'm not native English and need the dictionary to lookup a word when I'm reading a book and can't understand a certain word. The books I read are mostly by American authors. That's why I thought the last one would be a good choice. Any advice is more than welcome. Or maybe a completely different dictionary?

Thanks!

as a non native english speaker and reader i chose the concise oxford english dictionary. bought it from books on board $26.99. have no experience with the others. so...
it works fine.

wallcraft
12-02-2007, 02:05 PM
I bought the Pocket Oxford dictionary, and comparing it to the Concise demo I think it is a little clearer when the word is there (140K vs 240K words). I had never come across the Learner's dictionary before, but based on the demo it seems to include much more context information than a standard dictionary. For example:

axe noun, verb
noun (especially BrE) (US usually ax)
1 a tool with a wooden handle and a heavy metal blade, used for chopping wood, cutting down trees, etc. see also BATTLEAXE, ICE AXE, PICKAXE
2 the axe [sing.] (informal) if sb gets the axe, they lose their job; if an institution or a project gets the axe, it is closed or stopped, usually because of a lack of money: Up to 300 workers are facing the axe at a struggling Merseyside firm. Patients are delighted their local hospital has been saved from the axe. Protesters, anxious over the spending cuts, urged councillors to think again before wielding the axe.
IDIOM: have an axe to grind to have private reasons for being involved in sth or for arguing for a particular cause: She had no axe to grind and was only acting out of concern for their safety. These criticisms are commonly voiced by those who have some political axe to grind.
verb (BrE) (NAmE ax) [VN] [often passive]
1 to get rid of a service, system, etc. or to reduce the money spent on it by a large amount: Other less profitable services are to be axed later this year.
2 to remove sb from their job: Jones has been axed from the team.
3 to kill sb with an axe There are color changes and bolding that make the above more readable in MobiPocket Reader.

The Pocket Oxford has:

axe (US also ax) noun
1. a heavy-bladed tool used for chopping wood.
2. (the axe) severe cost-cutting action.
verb cancel or dismiss suddenly and ruthlessly.
IDIOMS - have an axe to grind have a private reason for doing something.
ORIGIN: Old English.

By the way, the Kindle comes with the New Oxford American Dictionary (250K words), which is available, but expensive, for MobiPocket. It has ax, rather than axe, and a full description. It also gets ax (informal) as a musical instrument which the other two missed. I see that mobipocket.com also offers a Concise Oxford American Dictionary, but neither of the Oxford American's has a demo available.

I liked what I saw of the Learners dictionary. There seems less need to be brief in an e-dictionary than a paper dictionary, since memory cards are lighter than paper.

diabloNL
12-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all advices! I bought the Concise Oxford English Dictionary. If it doesn't work for me I can always buy another one. When I get my Cybook I will experiment. :)

Nate the great
12-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Oh yes, they all work, and you can have more than one installed if you wish. The lookup function works extremely well.

I am so jealous. I can only have one dictionary on the Kindle.

Sparrow
12-02-2007, 03:24 PM
My husband struggled last week to assemble bookcases from Ikea to house our SciFi collection. See photos attached.

Susan

He did a good job, they look great!! :2thumbsup

Are they Billy bookshelves, I'd always thought they'd be too large for paperbacks, but your shelving looks fine.

tompe
12-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Are they Billy bookshelves, I'd always thought they'd be too large for paperbacks, but your shelving looks fine.

You need to buy two extra shelves for each Billy bookshelf to get it optimal for paperbacks. I usually only by one and use the lower shelves for bigger books.

DaleDe
12-02-2007, 06:41 PM
I am so jealous. I can only have one dictionary on the Kindle.

I do not believe this is true. I think there is a way to change the dictionary on the Kindle.

Dale

Nate the great
12-02-2007, 06:56 PM
I do not believe this is true. I think there is a way to change the dictionary on the Kindle.

Dale

Yes. But you can only have one at a time. Harry implied that he has several active at the same time.

DaleDe
12-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Yes. But you can only have one at a time. Harry implied that he has several active at the same time.

That is not a feature that MobiPocket supports anywhere else so I would be surprised if it would work here. How would it work anyway?

Dale

Nate the great
12-02-2007, 07:48 PM
That is not a feature that MobiPocket supports anywhere else so I would be surprised if it would work here. How would it work anyway?

Dale

Well, Harry did say:

Maybe I misinterpreted what he said.

tompe
12-02-2007, 09:35 PM
I only have one dictionary so I have not tested how it works exactly. But Bookeen's web site says: "Lookup word definition or translation from loaded dictionaries. ... Dictionaries are in Mobipocket format, no built-in dictionary, can work with several dictionaries at the same time."

One way for it to work is that you get the selection box with all the alternatives and it is marked with which dictionary it belongs to.

HappyMartin
12-03-2007, 02:02 AM
I have a thesaurus and 2 dictionaries in mobipocket on an iliad. When I do a word lookup it displays all 3, assuming they all find a match. I can then go to each dictionary in turn.

HappyMartin
12-03-2007, 02:30 AM
Books On Board have the Chambers 10th edition for $41.50. Might get it as I am not happy with the Oxford pocket electronic, the thesaurus it came bundled with is not useful for me.

HarryT
12-03-2007, 03:53 AM
Books On Board have the Chambers 10th edition for $41.50.

That's the one I've got; I'm very happy with it.

HarryT
12-03-2007, 03:56 AM

Dale

That's not the case, Dale. The Gen3, iLiad, Windows, and Pocket PC versions of the Mobi Reader all support multiple dictionaries. When you lookup a word, if there's a match in more than one dictionary, you get an initial selector for the dictionary, then it takes you to the definition in that dictionary.

HappyMartin
12-03-2007, 04:59 AM
Thanks Harry for the recommendation. My wife wants to buy a good dictionary so we will split the cost and load it on our respective devices. She can use it independently of me and perfectly legally. This would have been a little awkward with a paper dictionary and a fair use of DRM I believe.

HarryT
12-03-2007, 05:02 AM
It's absolutely fair and legal. The dictionary is a MobiPocket book, and can be used on the usual four devices.

This is the one book I've registered my PCs PID for, because the Mobi Desktop Reader has an excellent "Search" interface for dictionaries, which the handheld devices don't have. On the desktop you can do general searches of the dictionary, including "wildcard" searches. EXTREMELY useful.

DaleDe
12-03-2007, 10:26 AM
That's not the case, Dale. The Gen3, iLiad, Windows, and Pocket PC versions of the Mobi Reader all support multiple dictionaries. When you lookup a word, if there's a match in more than one dictionary, you get an initial selector for the dictionary, then it takes you to the definition in that dictionary.

Thanks for the information. I was clearly mistaken. One thing about these forums is that everyone can learn stuff. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

dale

HarryT
12-03-2007, 10:34 AM
No problem - it's a constant learning experience for us all!

makkus
06-26-2008, 09:49 AM
I've bought the chambers as well.

Only, when I use it on the cybook the whole thing freezes and I have to press the reset button and restart it before I can use it again.
This is for the new firmware 708 as well as for the last one. Didn't try an older one though...

I've read about people having problems using a dictionary on the cybook, can't find it at the moment. Is this a confirmed bug?
Or just my luck?

If bug: any known workarounds?

Cheers,
Makkus

HarryT
06-26-2008, 09:56 AM
There was a bug related to freezing on dictionary lookup in the first released version of the firmware (476), but it was fixed in the first update (538), and I don't recall anyone reporting it since.

I too have the Chambers dictionary, and it works flawlessly for me. I'd not tried using it with the new firmware, but I've just looked up half a dozen words, and it's worked fine.

Are you able to open the dictionary as a book? Have you tried using it on the Windows Mobi reader? If it's not working at all, perhaps the file is corrupt?

ProfJulie
07-05-2008, 05:31 PM
I use the Chambers dictionary, have installed the latest firmware, and have never had any freezing problems or any other problems using this dictionary on my Cybook.

makkus
07-11-2008, 02:43 AM
Ah. Sorry forgot to update this thread. Turns out it's not a that big a bug but just my usual stupidity...

I bought the dictionary from booksonboard and it turns out I had to add my cybook to the PX device PID controls as well. Only did it for OD ones...

It would be nice of course if the cybook wouldn't freeze if such a thing happens, but now that I added the PX PID the lookup works fine.

Cheers,
Makkus