Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
Question Conversion time?

Hello All,

I'm now the proud owner of a 505. And have been having a play with the Book Designer software.

I have a whole library of ebooks on my PC, mostly LIT, but I don't have MS office anymore due to not being given the CDs when I purchased my laptop and having a catastrophic hard drive failure.

Until I do sort out a copy of MS Office I'm down to converting TXT and RTF.

My question is for an average length book, how long do you take during tidy up?
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
For your LIT books lit2lrf will convert them quite easily for you. You can use it as a command line tool or use libprs500 & run it through a GUI.

As far as tidy up time using BD, it is really dependent on the source file & can vary from 5 min. to quite a bit of time.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I agree with anemic Oak. With well-formatted sources I can convert a book in a few minutes. But I have spent whole days on poorly scanned source files, particularly when accents need to be restored, and where there are ocr errors.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Also of course it depends what the purpose of the conversion is. If it's just a "read it once and throw it away", then one is probably not too bothered about getting every detail perfect. If it's something you want to keep for years and repeatedly re-read (as I do with my Sherlock Holmes stories, for example), then the time spent to get it absolutely right is worthwhile.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
Thanks guys,

Most of the books for myself will be one shot deals. But there will be a few for my wife that I'd like to be a bit more precise with. She is not a big tech fan and I bought her a reader as well, I'd like to present her with the reader with a few choice books on.

I'll give Libprs500 a whirl and convert a few LIT files. I'm used to reading LIT ebooks on an old Pocket PC, will the paragraph format stay the same?

Also, when converting DRM'd LIT files, how close to the original is the formatting?
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2007, 08:34 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0zza View Post
Also, when converting DRM'd LIT files, how close to the original is the formatting?
As close as it can get. It's essentially reflowable (x)HTML, and with HTML you can use any HTML -> RTF or HTML -> LRF tool to read it on your Reader.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote