View Full Version : CNET Pre-Announces Amazon Kindle Launch

NatCh
11-15-2007, 10:59 PM
CNET goes out on a limb and pre-announces Amazon's announcement of a Kindle launch, but did they take along a saw?

MobileReader Studio717 (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=6444) has pointed out (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=115689#post115689) that CNET is reporting (http://www.news.com/Amazon-to-debut-Kindle-e-book-reader-Monday/2100-1025_3-6218828.html?tag=nefd.lede) that they have word from "an industry source" that Amazon will announce their long awaited Kindle Reader on Monday, November 19th, at the W Hotel in New York.

Attached to this report are a few details, mostly not new to us, but still interesting:The Kindle is equipped with a Wi-Fi connection that taps into an Amazon e-book store, which users can access to purchase new electronic books--and Amazon has reportedly signed onto a deal with Sprint for EVDO access. Additionally, the device comes with a headphone jack for audiobooks, as well as an e-mail address.
The Kindle may also lack a backlight. Instead, it comes with a small reading light attached to an adjustable arm.

There's also some word on the presumed delays in the launch, as well as some all too scanty comments about the hot topics of offerings and delivery:The industry source said Amazon experienced setbacks in the process, but attributed them in part to natural difficulties that a retailer would experience when expanding into the hardware business. One of the foremost challenges, the source added, was battery power.

But an even bigger problem was reportedly getting publishers onboard. Amazon wanted to have the biggest e-book catalog of any reader available, the source explained, to give it an advantage over other e-book readers and services that are already on the market.

The company is also said to have forged agreements with somewhere between 50 and 100 newspaper publishers, in addition to the daily New York Times and Wall Street Journal features. Kindle owners are expected to be able to select from a long list of publications for automatic download.

"The hardware isn't necessarily what's important," said Richard Shim, an analyst with IDC. "It's the delivery mechanism for the content. That's where Amazon has a major advantage. They have a huge repository and huge track record of selling content. They also have customers who keep coming back to them. One of the things that companies have neglected in the past is developing an e-book store where you can get the content and use the leverage to get the publishers to get content into a digital format."

I'm hoping they're more right about what little they're saying about the Kindle than they are on their "filling-out" comments toward the end of the article about the Sony Reader:Sony unveiled the second edition of its Sony Reader device in October. The original Reader, released in September 2006, proved to be a bust (http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9791008-7.html) [links to their own story about how the Sony device was a bust in their opinion]. For the Reader's Version 2.0, Sony maintained the Reader's $300 price tag [dropped it $50, actually), the storage capacity (160 "typical" books [that's double the PRS-500's capacity, in fact]), and the battery life (7,500 "page turns" [one out of three ain't ... totally bogus]), but improved the device's speed and navigation features and slimmed the hardware down [okay, two out of four].

Unfortunately, there's still no answer in sight to the most burning question: Is it still fugly? Maybe will know the answer to that in four more days.

So what do y'all think? Genuine inside info, or just more rumors and speculation?

Full source (http://www.news.com/Amazon-to-debut-Kindle-e-book-reader-Monday/2100-1025_3-6218828.html?tag=nefd.lede).

rjnagle
11-15-2007, 11:18 PM
this of course is interesting and great news. But the crucial detail is missing: when will it be for sale?

NatCh
11-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Heck, I'll settle for a actual comment of any sort from Amazon at this point. I expect they'll tell us when it'll be for sale once they finally admit that it exists.

Nate the great
11-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Since we are back into the wild speculation mode again, here is the trademark description of the Kindle:

Portable electronic device for receiving and reading text and images and sound through wireless Internet access and for displaying electronically published materials, namely, books, journals, newspapers, magazines, multimedia presentations; computer hardware and software in the field of text, image and sound transmission and display.

NatCh
11-16-2007, 12:22 AM
The "between 50 and 100 newspaper publishers" thing is a big deal if it's so. :yes:

CCDMan
11-16-2007, 12:49 AM
Well, I don't care much about wireless or even newspapers but anything that makes more content available in e-form is a good thing. Just hope that long suffering image was a decoy. That thing as shown is big and ugly.

ashalan
11-16-2007, 02:22 AM
Amazon has reportedly signed onto a deal with Sprint for EVDO access. Additionally, the device comes with a headphone jack for audiobooks, as well as an e-mail address.

So, in other words, just like with the iPod and Apple's infamous deal with AT&T (or whatever money leeching phone company it was) that device will probably a. force you to enter a contract with the phone company (Sprint), b. make the device officially unavailable outside the USA (until somebody cracks the firmware) ??

CTH
11-16-2007, 03:12 AM
If they want to sell many Kindles they might do a version with just wi-fi and a possibility to use existing wi-fi networks to connect to the amazon store.
Then I would be pretty intrested, specially if someone hacked it and made it possible to dll books from like a ftp server. (access to my personal e-book library from all over the world is nice :D)

HarryT
11-16-2007, 04:31 AM
So, in other words, just like with the iPod and Apple's infamous deal with AT&T (or whatever money leeching phone company it was) that device will probably a. force you to enter a contract with the phone company (Sprint), b. make the device officially unavailable outside the USA (until somebody cracks the firmware) ??

Never mind "officially" unavailable - it would make it unavailable from a technical point of view. EVDO is CDMA technology - most of the world uses GSM phone networks on which EVDO will not work.

Alexander Turcic
11-16-2007, 04:34 AM
Gizmodo's Brian Lam also received word (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/amazon-kindle-next-week/amazon-kindle-e-book-reader-coming-next-week-323432.php) about the immediate launch of the Kindle reader.

A source in content creation has informed me that the Reader is coming on Monday or Tuesday, just in time for the holiday season. Information was limited, but apparently "a dozen media partners" were to be involved with launch, which implies non-book providers.

GregS
11-16-2007, 06:52 AM
Is it still fugly?

Since I first saw a picture of it, I thought did they really intend it to be so awkwardly repulsive. Ugly I can put up with if it is functional. I am unsure whether a mini-keyboard is the best option, but I am open to argument.

I look forward to see the release version. In the end if it functions well it will soon enough be seen as a thing of beauty.

Danielle
11-16-2007, 07:48 AM
Do we know the cost of the Kindle?

igorsk
11-16-2007, 07:53 AM
CNET says $399 (as you could've read in the article).

LazyScot
11-16-2007, 07:55 AM
It would be great if it is true. The story seems to hang together, and the arguments make sense. For Amazon, the timing is about right -- if I can order it from their website on Monday and it turns up a day or two later then it makes the Christmas/Festive season. But that would mean boxes sitting in the warehouse now, and I've not noticed any rumours at all on that.

As for the appearance, I wonder if the pictures released were deliberately of a less than beautiful device to make the real product look good?

rjnagle
11-16-2007, 08:04 AM
more rants on teleread
http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=7649#comment-626127

CommanderROR
11-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Well, Monday is not far away, and I guess we'll all know what the deal is then... ;)

I'm really worried about the "US exclusive thing" though...we really don't need yet another reader that is limited to a specific continent...but there were rumours that made it seem a bit more likely that this will be an internation device.

Leaping Gnome
11-16-2007, 11:33 AM
You have seen the quality of CNet reporting on the Sony Reader and how many things they got just plain wrong, and that is out and public and in their hands. Why would you trust them on the Kindle, a product that is not even announced?

CCDMan
11-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Ugly I can put up with if it is functional.

Personally, I would be more concerned about size. A keyboard, to be halfway usable, is gonna make it bigger. Light and portable are a REALLY big part of any reader for me, one of the things I like about the Sony. If is is a huge clunker, it is no sale to me, I don't care what it does.

bob_ninja
11-16-2007, 11:37 AM
"proved to be a bust" is correct assuming the expectation of a rapid adoption by wider public (such as for iPods). Of course, such expectation is insane. iPod followed after many years of other music players already established the market and general public became familiar with digital music. Sony's device is only one of the 1st to establish a new eBook category that for the most part didn't exist (except for a niche of PDA and other exotic device users). Writer's expectations/assumptions are just plain wrong.

The newspaper delivery via wifi is an excellent feature that will certainly bring it a lot of customers even if many people don't care for it. There are plenty of people in large metropolitan areas spending 30-60 min on trains and busses commuting to work reading newspapers. I am sure they would love to save 5 min by not having to stop by the store to pickup paper, plus the annoyance of having to discard it afterwards, as well as fighting with big pages, etc. Instead Amazon could simply push the latest copy via wifi at a train/bus station as customer gets onto a train/bus. Simple, clean, quick/easy access to sections of interest, etc. Also newspapre companies save a bunch of money on printing and delivery, which these days is becoming more expensive with higher fuel costs.

What happened to the Illiad test with nespapers in Europe?

P.S.: The only issue is wifi drain on battery can be considerable. They would have to have an easy method of switching wifi on/off to ensure minimum power drain.

bob_ninja
11-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Personally, I would be more concerned about size. A keyboard, to be halfway usable, is gonna make it bigger. Light and portable are a REALLY big part of any reader for me, one of the things I like about the Sony. If is is a huge clunker, it is no sale to me, I don't care what it does.

If keyboard folds as a cover on top of the screen then you are only addings little bit of thickness.

Nate the great
11-16-2007, 11:53 AM
P.S.: The only issue is wifi drain on battery can be considerable. They would have to have an easy method of switching wifi on/off to ensure minimum power drain.

The FCC model had a switch on the back that turned off the Wifi. Hopefully they kept that.

Steven Lyle Jordan
11-16-2007, 12:02 PM
The newspaper delivery via wifi is an excellent feature that will certainly bring it a lot of customers even if many people don't care for it...

I agree... it could be even better if they can also get a subscription and download the papers from their home connection, thereby saving the power on WiFi. Either way, we should see a lot of businesspeople taking notice of that feature and running with it.

And if you get businesspeople buying Kindles for newspapers, e-books may not be too far behind...

bob_ninja
11-16-2007, 12:16 PM
I agree... it could be even better if they can also get a subscription and download the papers from their home connection, thereby saving the power on WiFi. Either way, we should see a lot of businesspeople taking notice of that feature and running with it.

And if you get businesspeople buying Kindles for newspapers, e-books may not be too far behind...

Exactly. Once you have a critical mass of consumers on a platform (such as iPod) then the platform and its clients have much more leverage (such as Apple pushing down to $0.99 price). Same will happen for eBooks once we get a critical mass of eBook/ePaper consumers.

NatCh
11-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Plus the effect increased demand will have on e-ink prices. :yes:

nekokami
11-16-2007, 12:52 PM
The rumored newspaper deals and hotel promotion sound promising, as does the pressure on publishers to put their inventories online. Still waiting to find out how severely they've locked down the format.

Nate the great
11-16-2007, 02:01 PM
He says he has his own sources, and I think there is a good chance he does.

I've put together a list of new information on the Kindle, and the picture is coming together nicely. Some of these are from my own sources, some are from Caroline at CNet News, who put together a great piece on the Kindle, and if timestamps have it right, scooped the news of Monday's Launch a few hours before we did.
That big fat keyboard that seems useless? It's not. The Kindle will have email. And the keyboard is good for search, too.
There is no backlight. Instead, an external lamp on an arm is going to help with night reading.
We've suspected EVDO, but CNet suspects Sprint. It apparently has Wi-Fi, too.
Book download should take 2 minutes.
Yes, that is the final design. (Snowspeeder-ish, as reader Atroc. has commented)
A bigger book collection than even Sony, with 50-100 news sources including the WSJ and NYTimes.
Audiobook support and a headphone jack.
Bezos will unveil it on Monday.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/amazon-kindle-details/amazon-kindle-details-break-no-backlight-download-times-email-wi+fi-323732.php

TadW
11-16-2007, 02:07 PM
He says he has his own sources, and I think there is a good chance he does.

Most of this has already been known.

I guess, if the list is all correct, the biggest "news" is that the device on the leaked photo will resemble the final product. :huh:

da_jane
11-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Here's what I see happening. Kindle is announced. Lots of press play about ebooks and eink technology. People gasp in horror over the design but hear that there is an alternative called the Sony Reader. . . .

I know this sounds inane (and maybe insane) but even if Kindle was the best e book reader ever, it is not going to sell because it is so horrible looking. Looks matter, Amazon.

HarryT
11-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Here's what I see happening. Kindle is announced. Lots of press play about ebooks and eink technology. People gasp in horror over the design but hear that there is an alternative called the Sony Reader. . . .

More likely to benefit the Gen3 than the Sony, if Amazon have the sense to push the MobiPocket format (which, since they own Mobi), would seem sensible.

yvanleterrible
11-16-2007, 03:26 PM

I know this sounds inane (and maybe insane) but even if Kindle was the best e book reader ever, it is not going to sell because it is so horrible looking. Looks matter, Amazon.I don't believe the design we know will stand and be produced. The way it is will not cut it in this design hungry society. What really makes the Kindle attractive are the features no other device has used so far.

Alisa
11-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Most of this has already been known.

I guess, if the list is all correct, the biggest "news" is that the device on the leaked photo will resemble the final product. :huh:

I'm flummoxed. Everyone's trying to make their gadgets sleeker and sexier. Fashion is actually important now in electronics design, and Amazon releases something that looks like a prototype from 1986? Wrong kind of retro.

NatCh
11-16-2007, 03:30 PM
All righty, I'm officially wandering in the direction of the "I think it'll probably be announced Monday" camp. :nice:

... looks like a prototype from 1986?I still say '78 -- a la Original Battlestar Galactica. :beam:

wallcraft
11-16-2007, 03:34 PM
We've suspected EVDO, but CNet suspects Sprint. It apparently has Wi-Fi, too. Isn't Sprint just Kindle's EVDO provider? I am skeptical about Wi-Fi. It would be a plus for places where Sprint isn't available, but it was not in the original FCC filing so far as I know.

Nate the great
11-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Isn't Sprint just Kindle's EVDO provider? I am skeptical about Wi-Fi. It would be a plus for places where Sprint isn't available, but it was not in the original FCC filing so far as I know.

Probably, yes.

yvanleterrible
11-16-2007, 03:37 PM
All righty, I'm officially wandering in the direction of the "I think it'll probably be announced Monday" camp. :nice:

I still say '78 -- a la Original Battlestar Galactica. :beam:

I've had a Radio Shack, binder attachable calculator ruler, circa 76.

NatCh
11-16-2007, 03:50 PM
I am skeptical about Wi-Fi. It would be a plus for places where Sprint isn't available, but it was not in the original FCC filing so far as I know.It's not -- not that a text search of the manual can turn up anyway. The interested can find the original manual here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=37735#post37735). But, they canceled that filing when it leaked, and presumably re-filed at some point, so who knows what was in the new filing? :shrug:

NatCh
11-16-2007, 04:09 PM
I was just looking back over the old manual and realized that it lists an alternate, "older" wireless format "1XRTT" that I don't recall ever hearing about (wikipedia has bupkiss on it).

I also note that the thing was supposed to take Audible.com (.AA) files natively. It also lists AZW (Amazon Whispernet, maybe?), PRC, MOBI, MP3 and TXT -- no RTF, interestingly, and I don't know, and rather doubt, if that PRC is anything other than MOBI. :shrug:

Then there's still the issue of how much has the thing changed in it's year of seclusion? :nice:

yvanleterrible
11-16-2007, 05:02 PM
I was just looking back over the old manual and realized that it lists an alternate, "older" wireless format "1XRTT" that I don't recall ever hearing about (wikipedia has bupkiss on it).

I also note that the thing was supposed to take Audible.com (.AA) files natively. It also lists AZW (Amazon Whispernet, maybe?), PRC, MOBI, MP3 and TXT -- no RTF, interestingly, and I don't know, and rather doubt, if that PRC is anything other than MOBI. :shrug:

Then there's still the issue of how much has the thing changed in it's year of seclusion? :nice:

Time enough for a face lift? :grin:

NatCh
11-16-2007, 05:21 PM
'Tis devoutly to be wished. :pray:

BobVA
11-16-2007, 06:55 PM
I was just looking back over the old manual and realized that it lists an alternate, "older" wireless format "1XRTT" that I don't recall ever hearing about (wikipedia has bupkiss on it)....

It's a slower data signal that, like EVDO, is part of the CDMA2000 standard. It was around for several years before EVDO arrived. Still used for slower devices and as a fall back outside EVDO areas.

Cheers,
Bob

tsgreer
11-16-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm still thinking that the original pic that we have isn't so horrible if it's color corrected. Granted, I guessed on the color correction, but when you take out that ugly tan color, is the design sooo terrible?

I think the ugly 1990's PC color from the photograph is what made look so nasty. But that it just my opinion!:unafraid:

astra
11-16-2007, 07:23 PM
It looks like old calculator, we used 20 years ago.

tsgreer
11-16-2007, 07:26 PM
It looks like old calculator, we used 20 years ago.

Ok, that's a good point, but I think the pic also fails to show a good proportion. If it's pretty thin, I say it won't be so bad. If you look at the connectors on the bottom, it seems to be pretty slim.

I am going out on a limb and say that once we see better pics of it, it won't be near as fugly--even if they keep the same design. :smash:

Alisa
11-16-2007, 07:39 PM
I admire, but do not share your optimism. I can only imagine what it's going to look like with the attached reading light, too.

MMascaro
11-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Actualy it looks like a slate computer from a poster for 2001: A Space Oddessy I remember

kjn24
11-16-2007, 09:46 PM
That's it!! It looks like one of those 'pads' that Yeoman Rand kept giving to Captain Kirk!! I knew it looked familiar.
Whew! I feel better now.....
Kathy

AlexC
11-17-2007, 01:21 AM
This is making me nostalgic for my VIC-20.

Alexander Turcic
11-17-2007, 09:23 AM
That's it!! It looks like one of those 'pads' that Yeoman Rand kept giving to Captain Kirk!! I knew it looked familiar.
Whew! I feel better now.....
Kathy

From what I heard Scotty used the Kindle to control his fancy beam transporter...

TadW
11-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Scobleizer has a lot to say about the Kindle, but he cannot ;)

Amazon is said to be releasing its new “Kindle” eBook Reader on Monday.

I won’t be at the press conference. They asked me to be there, but I am turning down all travel. But, I have a LOT to say about this — I wish I could say more now. So, check back on Monday.

http://scobleizer.com/2007/11/16/amazons-kindle/

TadW
11-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Reuters has updated their initial news reporting (http://www.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUSN1639761620071116) on the rumored Kindle release. They added the following statement (emphasis mine):

News the retailer planned to launch its mobile reader was first reported on the CNET Web site and was confirmed to Reuters by a source close to the launch.

:jump:

CommanderROR
11-17-2007, 11:00 AM
So, I guess I shoud start looking for a religion, then learning how to pray to that particular god and then do it, all between now and monday so that maybe that deity can influence Amazon in such a way that they launch their Kindle and associated delivery platform in Europe... ;)

NatCh
11-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Okay, now I am holding my breath. :pleased:

CommanderROR
11-17-2007, 11:05 AM
I would not recommend that NatCh...even if they Do announce the Kindle on Monday, you won't hear because the max. time a person can hold his/her breath is only a few minutes...:unafraid:

Nate the great
11-17-2007, 11:10 AM
So, I guess I shoud start looking for a religion, then learning how to pray to that particular god and then do it, all between now and monday so that maybe that deity can influence Amazon in such a way that they launch their Kindle and associated delivery platform in Europe... ;)

If they sell it in Europe, it will be 400 Euros because $=. :)

But if they do that, I am willing to buy some here and ship it internationally. I have enough funds temporarily available that I can afford to do it at cost.

Nate the great
11-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Okay, now I am holding my breath. :pleased:

I'm really glad that I'm in VA and you're in TN. I wasn't looking forward to giving you mouth to mouth. :)

NatCh
11-17-2007, 11:15 AM
:zoiks: I meant that metaphorically :nana:

CommanderROR
11-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Well...you could have said so...:smack:

CCDMan
11-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Is there any actual size mentioned in any of the rumors? I would think the screen would not be useful if much smaller than the Sony. If the screen was that size, that would make the whole item, as shown, much bigger as well as somewhat thicker than the Sony. That much bigger probably also means that much heavier. If it is that size, it is no longer "hold with one hand", which is what one expects from most books, so it no longer is a book in the casual reading sense of the word.

So what we have then is a sorta small tablet PC that does not do nearly what a tablet PC does. I think there is great danger in trying to make a reader that does so much that it is no longer really a reader. Doing one thing well is better than trying to do a lot lot of things and winding up doing many of them badly, which is what the design as we know it now seems to imply. I sure hope I am wrong.

NatCh
11-17-2007, 11:34 AM
I believe last year's leaked manual specified a 6" display ....

vivaldirules
11-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Is there any actual size mentioned in any of the rumors?

This photo (http://www.amazon.com/H10683P1-Kindle-Table-Lamp/dp/B000T8C0QK) of the Kindle on Amazon's site suggests that it is quite large indeed. Okay, I'm going to stop it with this joke - I promise. ;)

NatCh
11-17-2007, 11:53 AM
What an ... illuminating tidbit that was too, vivaldirules. :laugh4:

wallcraft
11-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Is there any actual size mentioned in any of the rumors? From last years manual: 4.9" by 7.5" by 0.7", 10.2 ounces (289 g).

This info is also in the wiki: E-book Reader Matrix (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix).

CCDMan
11-17-2007, 12:41 PM
This photo of the Kindle on Amazon's site suggests that it is quite large indeed.

And they said it was not illuminated! <g>

4.9" by 7.5" by 0.7"

OK, so it is 120% of the area, 225% of the thickness, and 113% of the weight the Sony (new Sony as that is the competition).

Would have expected it to be heavier. Must be either not very dense or all plastic (and indeed it looks to be plastic)...

Might be OK if the content and especially the price of the content is killer. We shall see.

NatCh
11-17-2007, 01:24 PM
And they said it was not illuminated! <g>Nah, they only said it wasn't back-lit. :wink:

yvanleterrible
11-17-2007, 04:38 PM
This photo (http://www.amazon.com/H10683P1-Kindle-Table-Lamp/dp/B000T8C0QK) of the Kindle on Amazon's site suggests that it is quite large indeed. Okay, I'm going to stop it with this joke - I promise. ;) Wow! Only $117.00!

I'm still thinking that the original pic that we have isn't so horrible if it's color corrected. Granted, I guessed on the color correction, but when you take out that ugly tan color, is the design sooo terrible?

I think the ugly 1990's PC color from the photograph is what made look so nasty. But that it just my opinion!:unafraid:

Can you fudge a picture in black? Every thing ughly looks better in black! :grin:

ischeriad
11-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Can you fudge a picture in black? Every thing ughly looks better in black! :grin:

I guess you mean "in the dark"? :smash:

Seriously, I'm looking forward to the anouncement of the kindle. Hopefully it will be available in Europe, or at least will not be restricted to the USA. Concerning the price, 400$/ would turn me off, in this case I hope there will be some sort of subscription service, and the device sells for less (or even nothing). I would consider a two year contract...

And to say it once again: I still like this retroish design.
My wildest dream: If it is the final design, and noone buys them, prices will drop and I'll buy one for 50$/* early next year. :D

* isn't there a sign that signifies both currencies at once? We should call it "Common Transatlantic Payment Unit" or something like that...

tirsales
11-18-2007, 07:01 AM
Let's play Shadowrun all along, use a 'Y' as currecy symbol and call it Nuyen ;)

I really, really, really DONT understand why so many companys restrict themselfes to the US market. I mean: WHY? And especially: Why do ALL of them use the US market? There is already a reader for US (Sony), if Amazon wants to do only one market - go Europe! We will welcome you with open arms.

But they won't do that, so I hope for a worldwide release. On the other hand: Their MP3-Service is only available in the US, so I don't believe that they will offer eBooks in good old Germany any time soon. If not: It *will* cost them my support. Not that it bothers them in any way ...
Oh and EVDO-access says everything that is to say about "worldwide release" really ...

jbenny
11-18-2007, 07:53 AM
* isn't there a sign that signifies both currencies at once? We should call it "Common Transatlantic Payment Unit" or something like that...

Supposedly, this character means "currency". It looks like a circle with points on the four corners (you didn't know a circle had corners, did you?). The only problem is, I doubt anyone would recognize that symbol.

Steven Lyle Jordan
11-18-2007, 10:07 AM

"Common Transatlantic Payment Unit" is highly accurate and efficient. From now on, all forum members will use it. You will comply. Resistance is futile...

(Say, wasn't there a Borg smiley in here once?...)

yvanleterrible
11-18-2007, 11:38 AM
There was a new space currency announced last month called the 'Quid' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7029564.stm). Since space is all around the planet it would be logical to use.:grin:

astra
11-18-2007, 11:56 AM
There was a new space currency announced last month called the 'Quid' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7029564.stm). Since space is all around the planet it would be logical to use.:grin:

Frankly speaking, I have never considered myself and inter-planetary traveler...although I have used quids for 5 years. I am proud of the new title though!

nekokami
11-18-2007, 03:24 PM
The "quids" are cute, but I think they're missing the fact that loose change of any kind, even with rounded corners, presents a hazard in a microgravity environment. They need an information storage method that can hold up to electromagnetic flux and cosmic rays, with suitable encryption to hold financial information such as a credit limit. They're going to have to exchange information with a banking system, but it needn't be in real-time.

Regarding Yvan's request for a picture in black, I think he wants to see the Kindle mock-up photoshopped to seem to be made of black plastic. The color is quite likely to change, since that color is the basic color of prototyping plastic (someone pointed that out in one of the early Kindle threads). I'd expect to see some kind of customizable "skin," actually, if they want to go the iPod marketing route.

yvanleterrible
11-18-2007, 05:36 PM
The "quids" are cute, but I think they're missing the fact that loose change of any kind, even with rounded corners, presents a hazard in a microgravity environment. They need an information storage method that can hold up to electromagnetic flux and cosmic rays, with suitable encryption to hold financial information such as a credit limit. They're going to have to exchange information with a banking system, but it needn't be in real-time.

Regarding Yvan's request for a picture in black, I think he wants to see the Kindle mock-up photoshopped to seem to be made of black plastic. The color is quite likely to change, since that color is the basic color of prototyping plastic (someone pointed that out in one of the early Kindle threads). I'd expect to see some kind of customizable "skin," actually, if they want to go the iPod marketing route.I have a more pragmatic reason for wanting black bezels with eink; contrast ratio. Reading in artificial light requires lots of it and a white surface around a reader would bounce quite a bit of it back, rendering the reading tiresome to the eyes.:cool:

ischeriad
11-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Regarding Yvan's request for a picture in black, I think he wants to see the Kindle mock-up photoshopped to seem to be made of black plastic.

There you go, call it qucik and dirty.

nekokami
11-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Slick!

TallMomof2
11-19-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm betting that there will be silicon skins available for this from third parties. That way you can change the color and also keep the Kindle a bit cleaner and protect it from minor bumps and scratches. But the first thing I'll be looking for will be a screen protector.

Personally, I like the design, I may be oldish but I love the retro look. The color not so much but I think it'll be easier on my eyes in low contrast environments.

CommanderROR
11-19-2007, 09:55 AM
in about 30 minutes that conference should start...^^

Nate the great
11-19-2007, 09:58 AM
in about 30 minutes that conference should start...^^

You know, I seriously thought about crashing the press conference. I'm glad I didn't. Instead I will see the device tomorrow.

CommanderROR
11-19-2007, 09:59 AM
IF everything goes OK with your order...not that I'm trying to be overly pessimistic... ;)

HarryT
11-19-2007, 10:09 AM
You know, I seriously thought about crashing the press conference. I'm glad I didn't. Instead I will see the device tomorrow.

Bet you don't!

Steven Lyle Jordan
11-19-2007, 10:59 AM
CNet has run a second article, "Will e-books ever be a best-seller? (http://www.news.com/2100-1025-6219129.html?tag=tb)" on News.com this morning. No new news, and most of the article's points could have been mined right off of this site. (I added something to the comments section.)

yvanleterrible
11-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Bet you don't!:laugh4:

There you go, call it qucik and dirty.

Thanks! Don't you agree that it looks better in black?:2thumbsup