View Full Version : Apple Store Rejecting ePubs with chapter images...

Adjust
12-14-2011, 06:21 PM
I've just had a Client tell me not to use images in place of chapter headings from now on because the Apple store are now rejecting epubs with images.

Can this really be true?

I tweeted Liz castro.

Her reply:
I have heard the Apple will refuse ePubs with images the contain text. All text should be HTML

Are Apple really Serious?

How are people suppose to add font design elements into ePub without embedding fonts, now???

I'm flabbergasted if this is true!!!

:end:

JSWolf
12-14-2011, 06:25 PM
You can embed fonts in ePub for use with iBooks and it works. I've done it.

But in order to sell the ePub, you have to have the rights to embed the the font(s).

DiapDealer
12-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Font embedding aside... "no images that contain text" is a pretty ridiculous (not to mention random) restriction. And how would they even know? Are they proposing to OCR each and every image looking for alpha-numerics?

st_albert
12-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Font embedding aside... "no images that contain text" is a pretty ridiculous (not to mention random) restriction. And how would they even know? Are they proposing to OCR each and every image looking for alpha-numerics?

Apple's requirements seem to get stranger and stranger.

They would probably spot-check the images, looking for text.

I suppose they want all text in html so they can grep for illicit text, such as advertisements for other sites, pricing information, etc. that isn't allowed in the iBookstore.

Hmm, I hope this doesn't apply to the cover image!

Graham
12-15-2011, 08:08 AM
So... they'd reject all graphs, diagrams, maps...

Somehow I doubt it.

Graham

DiapDealer
12-15-2011, 08:57 AM
So... they'd reject all graphs, diagrams, maps...

Somehow I doubt it.

Graham
That's what I'm thinking, Graham. Something stinks, here.