Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2007, 11:40 AM   #1
Cogito
Reader
Cogito began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 500
silver/chrome edge, again?

Been using the new reader and (mostly) like the improvements over the prs-500, but am miffed why sony insists on edging the reader with a reflective chrome-like surface. The designers must not actually use the reader. In the sun, or under lights, it makes reading difficult.

Took too long hacking my prs-500 (took apart, sanded/painted and then redid with paint that wouldn’t scratch off) and hacked electronics are more difficult to resell on ebay. Has anyone come up with an easy and possibly undo-able solution? I read someone was going to try fingernail polish.

Thanks for the help,
Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prs-500 hack.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	7215  
Cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think I'm confused, Cogito, it sounds like you're talking about the 505 (which doesn't have the pseudo-chrome edging), but the pic you posted is a 500. As a consequence, I'm not sure what you're trying to do ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
Cogito
Reader

Natch,
Sorry for being unclear. I posted photo of prs-500 to show the mod. Here’s a photo of my prs-505. Are there some models without the chrome?
Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prs-505-chrome.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	7216  
Old 11-13-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, yes, the top/bottom edges, I hadn't realized that it was so visible on the dark blue (I've only seen the silver, and that edge tends to wash out next to the main casing).

Okay, now I know what you're asking.

I wouldn't suggest nail-polish, some of them contain stuff that will dissolve plastics pretty readily.

You might try your local model/hobby shop, especially if it's a small operation rather than a big chain one. They might be able to suggest a paint that'll stick to the stuff for you.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Even though the chrome on the silver appears to blend in with the rest of the case, I find that it occasionally bounces distractingly bright beams of light into my eyes while I'm reading.
I wonder if something like paint-on latex, which can be removed pretty easily, would be a solution. Also, it would add grippy edges to the device!
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

I like that idea.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
Cogito
Reader

Has anyone taken the prs-505 apart yet? The 500 was easy after someone had already figured it out. Looks like the 4 screws on the back might lead one right inside. Obviously it’s easier painting unattached pieces.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Tape everything up and take out that paint gun!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Just cover it with duct tape?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote