View Full Version : EPUB FULL Highlights export

esc7
12-13-2011, 06:22 AM
Hi!
I have a Sony PRS-T1 and I noticed that when I want to export the highlighted passages of an EPUB book with the Sony Reader software, I have 2 restrictions:

1. There is a maximum of about 200 characters I can export/highlighted part
2. There is a maximum of how many highlighted parts I can export

Now I'm looking for a reader program that will export my highlights in full, I'm even open to solutions like converting to another format and then export the highlights, but I really need this feature, so any help is appreciated!

Toxaris
12-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Can't you just open the ePUB in Sigil and copy-past your passages there?

esc7
12-13-2011, 06:49 AM
Can't you just open the ePUB in Sigil and copy-past your passages there?

I can, but there are too many in a 880 pages long book, so I would like to have it automated

DSpider
12-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Sounds to me like a Sony issue, not an ePub issue.

If you wanna highlight the entire book who are they to stop you? You should look for a way to "jailbreak" it or install custom firmware.

pholy
12-13-2011, 09:01 AM
I have heard that this imitation is only applied to books with DRM. I haven't tried either way yet, and I don't have any infected books on my T1.
I want to find a way to retrieve my annotations without using the Sony software... I'll probably work on that over the Christmas break.

esc7
12-13-2011, 09:23 AM
I have heard that this imitation is only applied to books with DRM. I haven't tried either way yet, and I don't have any infected books on my T1.
I want to find a way to retrieve my annotations without using the Sony software... I'll probably work on that over the Christmas break.

No, my ebook is not DRM, so that cannot be the reason for this

JSWolf
12-13-2011, 10:52 AM
This belongs in the Sony Reader forum, not ePub.

Bookworm_Girl
12-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Hi!
I have a Sony PRS-T1 and I noticed that when I want to export the highlighted passages of an EPUB book with the Sony Reader software, I have 2 restrictions:

1. There is a maximum of about 200 characters I can export/highlighted part
2. There is a maximum of how many highlighted parts I can export

Now I'm looking for a reader program that will export my highlights in full, I'm even open to solutions like converting to another format and then export the highlights, but I really need this feature, so any help is appreciated!

Where did you find this restriction? The old Reader Library software limit was 100 characters for DRM'ed books and 2000 characters for non-DRM'ed books. There was not a limit to how many highlighted parts could be exported.

The new Reader software documentation is not as extensive as the old software, and I can't find anything about export limits in the help manual. Maybe I'll have to test it now.

esc7
12-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Where did you find this restriction? The old Reader Library software limit was 100 characters for DRM'ed books and 2000 characters for non-DRM'ed books. There was not a limit to how many highlighted parts could be exported.

The new Reader software documentation is not as extensive as the old software, and I can't find anything about export limits in the help manual. Maybe I'll have to test it now.

I have that tested, I tried to export the highlights to an rtf. file and the "maximum number of crates at one time exceeded error code -40338 (400)" pop-up came up, and thus only small fraction of my highlights had been exported to the rtf file.

Bookworm_Girl
12-13-2011, 01:31 PM
I just tested it. It appears they have changed some things with the new software. It's odd, really. DRM'ed books still have the 100 character limit. Non-DRM'ed books have a limit that varied for each extract for me. It was between 190-200 characters and not the same amount for each highlight export. The 100 character limit is always exact.

I understand why they have a limit on DRM'ed content, although I think 100 characters is too small. I don't understand why they limit non-DRM'ed content. Also, they do not have this limit when you highlight text on a non-DRM'ed book within the Reader software. Highlight the text and instead of "Create Highlight" select "Copy". So if they let you copy more than 200 characters to the clipboard for cut-and-paste on non-DRM'ed books, then why can't you export that as well?

Just another example of why the new software is a step backwards from the old software...

esc7
12-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Just another example of why the new software is a step backwards from the old software...

Yes, this software seems really bad. Isn't there an independent ereader software that is capable of exporting the highlighted text on PC?

Bookworm_Girl
12-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Not that I know of.

mab17
12-18-2011, 09:58 AM
The "Moon+ Reader" App will export highlights. However, I don't know if it will work on a hacked Sony PRS-T1. Hopefully, someone knows the answer to that!

opitzs
12-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Does this help?

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161889