Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
marco62
marco62 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Unhappy Reading PDF on 505

Hi all ,

i have just buy a new 505 by B&H thanx to the info i have read on this forum.
When is arrived i start to insert into device my huge pdf collection , and with big disappoint i see standard pdf is almost unreadable on this device, font is too small ! So i start search in the forum for solution . I see exists some tools to convert PDF files into lfr , i have try a few but my results are very bad.
Can some1 tell the best procedure to convert PDF to a well readable doc in this device ? Thanx a lot.
marco62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Greetings marco62 and welcome to MobileRead.

Any A4 or letter sized PDF will look very bad on a 6" screen. There are several methods that may work for you (then again they may not yield the results you want.) I am not sure which of the two methods outlined below you may have tried.

First is pdflrf. This program turns a normal PDF into an LRF. The program uses a graphical enhancement and darkening of the letters and pictures. It also can split the page into a right and left side to allow for more magnification. There are options for eliminating the white space around the page.

The other option to convert the PDF to a text based format and then load the text into the Reader either through an RTF or an LRF file. The easiest way to do this is to use libprs500 by using the output of pdf2html as input to html2lrf. You can also clean up anything that needs to be fixed in the HTML stage.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That should be pdftohtml
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:58 AM   #4
marco62

Ok ,
thx a lot for answer , i have tried pdflrf , and yes is more readable , but no the result that i have on mind. I will try the second way to do .
My target is to make a PDF like a standard BBeB book , i think this can be done , and , if i dont want to loose my $300.... i have to do !

Anyway , do u know if the BBeB formats is now an open format , i mean can i found somewhere the standard specification ?

kovidgoyal , i have see ur software and im going to try this too , it works too for 505 right ? is ur svn open ?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
LRF is based on an XML format LRS. LRS is fully open and documented. However, LRF (the binary version of LRS) that is actually used on the reader is not. There is an LRF->LRS converter in libprs500 svn (and yes the svn has public read access).

If you want to convert pdf to reflowable LRF have a look at pdf2lrf (note the 2 in the name)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2007, 07:12 AM   #6
modsoul
Enthusiast
modsoul began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
1.try landscape view.
2. use rasterfarian.
in my experiance rasterfarian makes any pdf usable without destrying the formatting like pdf2lrf.
modsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:23 AM   #7
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
A4 is good on iLiad. I am not arguing against 505, but it is important to look first: Do I have a lot of A4? Do I have a lot of charts, of figures etc.
I'd say the 6" eInk is fine for ficton etc. and now:
Greetings
Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco62 View Post
Hi all ,

When is arrived i start to insert into device my huge pdf collection , and with big disappoint i see standard pdf is almost unreadable on this device, font is too small ! So i start search in the forum for solution . I see exists some tools to convert PDF files into lfr , i have try a few but my results are very bad.
Can some1 tell the best procedure to convert PDF to a well readable doc in this device ? Thanx a lot.
Can you link us to a PDF that you are trying to read and someone can take a stab at pdflrf and you can see how you like it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:49 PM   #9
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco62 View Post
Lucky man with a 505! I'm planning on getting one in a couple of weeks when I'm in the US. One thing I wouldn't have done after reading this forum, however, is the buy the device with the almost sole reason of reading PDFs. There are many threads and posts bemoaning the bad way that the reader handles PDFs.

Luckily there are many threads on ways to improve this experience, lots of helpful people (just on this thread even!) and I wish you luck in maximising the readability of your PDFs.

haere rā
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:46 AM   #10
marco62

mcramer,

I have waited a long to buy this one , but i must tell u the true , im really disappointed. With the help of friends here im tryng to read pdf in decent way , anyway , whatever sofware is used is a long way to have a decent book .
Also a device cant stay 3-5 second to change page , is simply not accetable.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:00 AM   #11
marco62

here a sample pdf.

[Uploaded file deleted]

YOU MUST NOT UPLOAD COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL TO THIS SITE. DOING SO WILL GET US SHUT DOWN!!!

Last edited by HarryT; 11-26-2007 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:35 PM   #12
vstefanyuk
Connoisseur
vstefanyuk began at the beginning.

PDFCropper

Try this one

http://rapidshare.com/files/72060665...opper.msi.html

It is implemented by using Java, you have to install version 5.0 or higher (http://rapidshare.com/files/58350348...586-p.exe.html)

And it is based on using Ghostscript, you have to install it as well (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gho...3&big_mirror=1)

This is an example of resulted pdf - http://rapidshare.com/files/58357844/Example.pdf.html

For testing period I will provide licenses for free (try it at least once to see registration code needed for getting license). But it will be not too long
vstefanyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:38 AM   #13
mysiar
mysiar began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
I can't download it from rapidshare.
Could you please post it somewhere else ?

Regards
Piotr
mysiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:01 AM   #14
vstefanyuk
Connoisseur
vstefanyuk began at the beginning.

PDFCropper additional links

http://www.filefactory.com/file/8c8602/

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JS5F7FMG

P.S. Guys, just try it. It exactly what is needed for solving the problems with reading A4 pdf's on small devices.
For testing period I will provide licenses for free. Just send me registration code (you will find it if use program at least once) to my e-mail.
vstefanyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:04 AM   #15
mysiar
mysiar began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
I'm trying, just waiting for the licensce.

Cheers
Piotr
mysiar is offline   Reply With Quote