Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 12-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Lockdown
Lockdown began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDge
Question with epub ebooks

Good Evening All.

I'm new to the ereaders, not new to Android 2.2. I just picked up Walmart's last 3 Pocket Edges (one for me, one for each of my kids) and are prepping the kids' new Christmast presents...

Anyway, after upgrading the first one to Froyo, downloading and installing Allmine, downloading Adobe Digital Editions to my laptop and authorizing the PE, I've 'checked out' an ebook from our local library in epub format. The book downloaded fine, but will not open in the eink side.

When accessing the book through the installed Reader app, it says it is opening it in the eink screen, then just doesn't open. When opening it in the Overdrive Media Console (the app the library recommends), it only opens in the Android 7" screen. No matter how I open it, it refuses to open in the eink screen.

Any help is appreciated in getting this to open in the eink screen. Thanks!
Lockdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese
johnseeking began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet (mine), 2nd Gen Kindle 3G (wife's), Literati (kids')
I use Digital Editions to transfer a book to my PE, and then use a file explorer (ES or the eDGe library "device storage" browser) to "add it to library." So long as I'm operating within my library's two-week lending window, it opens fine for me in e-ink.
Fun fact: so long as you leave a lended book open on the e-ink side, you can keep reading it, even if the lending period has expired. (Further dirty pool: if you keep setting the date back in the eDGe system settings, you can open it indefinitely. Which is a decidedly lesss-than-ideal way of living your life, but might come in handy if you still have a chapter or two to go on virtual return-day.)
johnseeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Lockdown

That's what I attempted to do, but when I "add to library" via the eDGe Library app, it adds the graphic files (book cover images), and fails to add the actual ebook to the library, ending the action with an error message saying it could not be added/opened.

The book does open on the tablet side if I want it to.

I just tried downloading the epub from the local library to my laptop, then transfer via USB cable to the eDGe. It starts transfering then says it can't transfer, "IO error"... This was attempted through Adobe Digital Management on my laptop...

Last edited by Lockdown; 12-11-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Does it work with a different book? It sounds to me like either way should work.

I'm stumped.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Lockdown

Yes, it works with books from sources other than my local library.
I finallly got it to work, but had to use Alf's plug-in for Calibre, with although is great, isn't what I thought would have to be the process to simply download a DRM book from the public library and view on the reader.
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #6
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese
johnseeking began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet (mine), 2nd Gen Kindle 3G (wife's), Literati (kids')
Bizarre. Might be some goober in the Collier County Library System didn't hit the right checkbox on form 42-QrWZ...
johnseeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:16 AM   #7
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnseeking View Post
Bizarre. Might be some goober in the Collier County Library System didn't hit the right checkbox on form 42-QrWZ...

I agree, Lockdown, you shouldn't have to use the plug-in or Calibre at all, but it's awfully nice to have that option. I keep my full library in Calibre and only put the next few books I might want to read on my eDGes.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdown View Post
Yes, it works with books from sources other than my local library.
I finallly got it to work, but had to use Alf's plug-in for Calibre, with although is great, isn't what I thought would have to be the process to simply download a DRM book from the public library and view on the reader.
To a certain extent it depends on what DRM the library is using. Once you know that it should be much easier to be able to load the book.

If memory serves there were several threads about loading library books for viewing on the e-ink screen. Try finding and reading them, they might help.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote