Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
haughtonomous
haughtonomous began at the beginning.

Device: None
Ageing software hack about to connect

Hi eReader people.

A few years ago I bought an 'mp3' player for myself. Not by nature one to follow the herd I wasn't very impressed with the iPod, with its limited range of codecs and susceptibility to terminal damage from daily knocks, so I looked around and instead found a Cowan iAudio device that supports ogg, flac and a range of other codecs (plus video too.), and takes an SDHC extension memory card. Ideal. For the price it knocked Apple's offering into a cocked hat. So I bought one and haven't for a moment regretted it.

I'm about to embark on a similar exercise for an eReader, but although local shops are awash with Kindles, I'm not too impressed with them either. So my research has brought me to the brink of buying a Kobo eReader, which in conjunction with Calibre for format conversion, should just be the ticket. I use Debian Squeeze at home (told you I don't follow the herd), so the fact that the Kobo software is also available for Linux appeals greatly.

Can anyone see a down side to this?
haughtonomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi haughtonomous and welcome to MobileRead and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to the boards, haughtonomous
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote