View Full Version : Kindle Fire Books are in PRC!

Blossom
11-17-2011, 10:05 PM
This like my 3rd thread tonight. :D

Anyway I was looking through ES File Explorer and I notice that books are not in AZW that we all have come to know or even in Mobi for that matter but on the Fire they have the extension PRC :eek:

I have to wonder why Amazon chose to go back to PRC or do you think this is a newer format then then the old mobipocket format?

tomsem
11-17-2011, 10:12 PM
I love a good mystery!

Blossom
11-17-2011, 10:16 PM
I love a good mystery!

Okay had to check but even a Topaz book has the PRC extension.

tomsem
11-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Okay had to check but even a Topaz book has the PRC extension.

'Tis the same with Kindle for Android (except for sideloaded stuff).

Blossom
11-17-2011, 10:24 PM
'Tis the same with Kindle for Android (except for sideloaded stuff).

It is? :blink: I've never checked :o okay nothing new to see then..

osnova
11-17-2011, 10:27 PM
The format didn't change. The extension did. This prc is not the Palm format, it is one of the extensions for a container used by the Mobipocket format.

prc, mobi, azw are all interchangeable on the Kindle. See http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200140600

gweminence
11-17-2011, 10:29 PM
.mobi's still work. I've put a bunch of mine on.

weatherman
11-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Interesting. I think mobi was an offshoot somehow of prc back in the day - maybe it was the encrypted version? I barely remember that whole scene. Those were the early days of ebooks, to be sure.

jswinden
11-17-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm curious if any KF8 books have been released yet?

Blossom
11-17-2011, 10:41 PM
Interesting. I think mobi was an offshoot somehow of prc back in the day - maybe it was the encrypted version? I barely remember that whole scene. Those were the early days of ebooks, to be sure.

Yes the early days indeed. I have several PRC books still but if it's been that way in the stock Android app then I guess it's been that way for a long time. I nevered noticed it till now.

HarryT
11-18-2011, 04:29 AM

A PRC file is simply a container - it can contain data in any format whatsoever. Mobipocket has always used a PRC container, but a PRC file doesn't have to contain data that's in Mobipocket format - it can contain anything at all. There's an 8-character "tag field" near the start of the file which says what type of data the file contains; for a Mobipocket book this contains the string "BOOKMOBI". You can see it if you open the file in Notepad or some other text editor.