View Full Version : Kindle Fire for Kids?

TheLost
11-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Can somebody give feedback on how 'kid' friendly the kindle fire is?

For instance...

Does it require your amazon password to buy books/movies/music/etc?

Can you restrict the streaming of 'prime' movies by rating? (R for example)

Thanks!

Jessica Lares
11-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi.

If I had kids, I wouldn't let them venture into the Kindle Store alone. There are a lot of great picture and chapter books now, but there are a lot of really nasty comic books. Today I accidentally ran into one with not just swearing, but nudity.

There are no parental settings at this time sadly.

You can set it up so it asks for a PIN you can setup. But no, you cannot restrict the movies to only certain ratings.

Jessica Lares
11-16-2011, 03:24 PM
And this is just a suggestion, because I know a lot of parents are getting this for their kids at Christmas... Pre-load the device. Buy like $25-50 worth of games/books/tv shows and have it in the "Cloud". It not only makes the Fire more inviting, but it'll keep them busy for at least a month while Amazon works on the feature.

dengar
11-16-2011, 03:38 PM
And this is just a suggestion, because I know a lot of parents are getting this for their kids at Christmas... Pre-load the device. Buy like $25-50 worth of games/books/tv shows and have it in the "Cloud". It not only makes the Fire more inviting, but it'll keep them busy for at least a month while Amazon works on the feature.

Thats what Im doing to both of mine.

TheLost
11-16-2011, 03:40 PM
So does it lock you out of the kindle store? (ask for a password?)

I'm coming from the apple/iPad/iPhone world where the kids can browse the appstore, but cant buy anything without my password.

How are streamed 'prime' movies accessed? Is it through the kindle store? or a different app?

Sorry for all the questions... Just want to know if i should send the 3 kindles fires i have on my desk back, or wrap them up :)

I'm sure other people want to know the same thing.

PS. My kids ages are 9,11,14

Blossom
11-16-2011, 04:08 PM
You can't download anything if you don't have a CC set as default payment from app, music and video store. You have to buy from site only that way. Not even free apps.

monkeyluis
11-16-2011, 04:40 PM
You have to know how to set your own restrictions with the kids. I've done that with mine. They use the iPad one all the time, they have never done anything I didn't want them too do. They know better. I also showed my son the Fire last night and he really wanted to play some games and stuff, we were looking at the app store, downloaded tic tac toe and played a bit. I think it's a great device for kids. You need to teach your kids what the rules are. I have, that's my responsibility.

SCION
11-16-2011, 04:44 PM
You have to know how to set your own restrictions with the kids. I've done that with mine. They use the iPad one all the time, they have never done anything I didn't want them too do. They know better. I also showed my son the Fire last night and he really wanted to play some games and stuff, we were looking at the app store, downloaded tic tac toe and played a bit. I think it's a great device for kids. You need to teach your kids what the rules are. I have, that's my responsibility.

:ditto: My kids have free reign on Netflix as well. They have their own account that they share. The rule is rated G, PG only. No PG-13 and of course the mature ratings are off limits. With Netflix you can see the viewing history and take disciplinary action when warranted. I scolded my daughter for watching some Twilight movie after ignoring the rules. She knows she'll suffer dire consequences if there is a next time.

TheLost
11-16-2011, 06:19 PM
This still isn't answering my question... maybe i'll ask it another way.

My problem with kindles (we have about 4 in the house) is that amazon uses its '1-click' method of buying books. It doesn't ask you to verify who you are when buying anything from a kindle.

Has this changed on the kindle fire? If i click 'buy' will it ask for a password/pin/verification before it charges my credit card? (like itunes)

I agree that its my responsibility to set the expectations with my kids. But i'm also smart enough not to leave a loaded gun around my child and say "don't touch" (in this case... a Kindle Fire hooked up to my amazon prime account).

I'm just trying to figure out... How are things (apps/music) purchased on the fire. How are 'prime' movies streamed on the fire.

Then i can make the decision if its right for my kids.

SCION
11-16-2011, 06:27 PM
This still isn't answering my question... maybe i'll ask it another way.

My problem with kindles (we have about 4 in the house) is that amazon uses its '1-click' method of buying books. It doesn't ask you to verify who you are when buying anything from a kindle.

Has this changed on the kindle fire? If i click 'buy' will it ask for a password/pin/verification before it charges my credit card? (like itunes)

I agree that its my responsibility to set the expectations with my kids. But i'm also smart enough not to leave a loaded gun around my child and say "don't touch" (in this case... a Kindle Fire hooked up to my amazon prime account).

I'm just trying to figure out... How are things (apps/music) purchased on the fire. How are 'prime' movies streamed on the fire.

Then i can make the decision if its right for my kids.

It still operates using 1-Click. You can use a gift card for default payment.

Blossom
11-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Don't have a payment set and they can't buy anything on the device only through the website. This is how I have my Kindles set up. I only buy through the website. I only put my payment in the normal account area I have no CC designated for any of the Amazon digital stores. This is also gives me a confirmation screen through the website when I purchase something so I don't accidentally buy it.

MSWallack
11-17-2011, 11:05 AM
The problem that we discovered with the Fire (my 12-year-old twins each got one last night from their grandparents for their birthday) is that every ebook my wife and I have purchased shows up on the bookshelf ... including some books that my kids are not going to be allowed to read. There should be a way to remove books from the bookshelf displayed on the device.

techiegirl
11-17-2011, 11:33 AM
The problem that we discovered with the Fire (my 12-year-old twins each got one last night from their grandparents for their birthday) is that every ebook my wife and I have purchased shows up on the bookshelf ... including some books that my kids are not going to be allowed to read. There should be a way to remove books from the bookshelf displayed on the device.

I have that problem too. Short of creating a separate Amazon.com account for the kids, I don't know of a solution.

SCION
11-17-2011, 11:44 AM
I have that problem too. Short of creating a separate Amazon.com account for the kids, I don't know of a solution.

Some of us have had this discussion weeks ago in anticipation of various issues. :) Many decided to get the child(ren) a separate account.

techiegirl
11-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Some of us have had this discussion weeks ago in anticipation of various issues. :) Many decided to get the child(ren) a separate account.

Except my kids also want the device for our Prime video viewing and they wouldn't be able to take advantage of that if they use a separate Amazon account.

SCION
11-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Except my kids also want the device for our Prime video viewing and they wouldn't be able to take advantage of that if they use a separate Amazon account.

Yep, that was part of the discussion as well. I'm getting them Prime, but will be using some of their allowance each month as "reimbursement". They're ages 9 and 11, and I always emphasize stuff ain't free. They pay $7/month for the privilege of Prime.

Jessica Lares
11-17-2011, 01:01 PM
From: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200444180

Sharing Amazon Prime Benefits

Prime members under a free trial or paid subscription can share their benefits with up to 4 additional family members living in the same household, or up to 4 coworkers to shop for the related account.

To invite family members to share your Amazon Prime membership, sign in to Your Account and click on the link to "Manage Prime Membership." You'll see your current membership details, the status of all members linked to your Amazon Prime membership, and options to add or remove members.

Amazon Student members with Amazon Prime benefits will not be able to share their benefits with additional people. Customers who receive their Amazon Prime shipping benefits through Amazon Mom can share their benefits with 1 person within or outside of their household. All existing shared household members will continue to receive shipping benefits if the primary member switches to the Amazon Prime shipping benefits offered by one of these programs, however, the primary member will not be able to add or change shared household members if they move to one of these programs.

techiegirl
11-17-2011, 01:42 PM
@Jessica Lares: Prime shared family account members won't be able to enjoy the Prime Video or Kindle lending benefits though. Right?

Like SCION, the kids would have to get their own Prime account if they want to watch videos. We can't just share our accounts with them. I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay for 2 Prime memberships.

Jessica Lares
11-17-2011, 01:49 PM
No, you can definately still use the video feature.

SCION
11-17-2011, 01:51 PM

Well, that's a game changer for some! That was never flushed out in other discussions.

krm0789
11-17-2011, 01:58 PM

That's not been my experience. I'm a prime guest & do not have access to videos or the Kindle Owner's Lending Library

Teepers
11-17-2011, 02:14 PM

If the books were purchased from Amazon can't you just remove the books from the device that you do not want it on? When you purchase a new book is it auto delivered to ALL devices ont he account?

SCION
11-17-2011, 02:21 PM
If the books were purchased from Amazon can't you just remove the books from the device that you do not want it on? When you purchase a new book is it auto delivered to ALL devices ont he account?

But don't all of your books show up under "Cloud" within the books section? They're still accessible, just need to be downloaded. Kids can still get to them, right?

techiegirl
11-17-2011, 02:25 PM
But don't all of your books show up under "Cloud" within the books section? They're still accessible, just need to be downloaded. Kids can still get to them, right?

SCION is correct. All the books on your Amazon account shows up under the "cloud" section. The "cloud" and "device" tabs are so close to each other, it's very easy to switch from "cloud" to "device". It's the same with the music section.

Teepers
11-17-2011, 02:26 PM

Sure, I guess that is the case. I purchased one for my 13 yo son for Christmas and as most I will have books that I read that I don't want him to read. I'm betting that Amazon adds parental controls in a future os update which would be nice. For now, at least for me, telling him that stuff is off limits is fine.

Jessica Lares
11-17-2011, 02:36 PM
That's not been my experience. I'm a prime guest & do not have access to videos or the Kindle Owner's Lending Library

Does the other person have it though? Hmm.

WT Sharpe
11-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Can somebody give feedback on how 'kid' friendly the kindle fire is?

For instance...

Does it require your amazon password to buy books/movies/music/etc?

Can you restrict the streaming of 'prime' movies by rating? (R for example)

Thanks!

Unfortunately, if it's registered to you, the "1-click" feature allows your children (and their friends who also play with it) to download anything their heart desires—all on your credit card.

http://www.androidcentral.com/editorial-dear-amazon-usernames-and-passwords-exist-reason

The work-around I plan to use is to de-register the device and re-register it in my grandson's name with a pre-paid credit card.

As has been already noted by another member, there are no parental controls of movie downloads or anything else.

Don't have a payment set and they can't buy anything on the device only through the website. This is how I have my Kindles set up. I only buy through the website. I only put my payment in the normal account area I have no CC designated for any of the Amazon digital stores. This is also gives me a confirmation screen through the website when I purchase something so I don't accidentally buy it.

:thumbsup:

Another good argument for re-registering the Fire in the child's name.

elemenoP
11-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Attention Amazon and B&N: The first company to put in well-thought-out parental controls--on purchasing, what media the user has access to, how much of the internet can be accessed--will have a nice differentiator for your product. I think a LOT of people are going to buy these lower-priced tablets for their kids.

eP

krm0789
11-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Does the other person have it though? Hmm.

Yes, the primary user has it. My understanding is that regular prime members and $39 prime student members have access to all the features, while prime guests and free student members do not. I'm not sure about prime mom members.

monkeyluis
11-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Attention Amazon and B&N: The first company to put in well-thought-out parental controls--on purchasing, what media the user has access to, how much of the internet can be accessed--will have a nice differentiator for your product. I think a LOT of people are going to buy these lower-priced tablets for their kids.

eP

iPad has really good user controls.

WT Sharpe
11-17-2011, 04:32 PM
iPad has really good user controls.

And Apple always requires a password for a purchase.

Amazon, are you listening?

monkeyluis
11-17-2011, 06:31 PM

Yeah. Doesnt help when I'm a sucker & the kids say, daddy will you put your password in. Lol.

Blossom
11-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Yeah. Doesnt help when I'm a sucker & the kids say, daddy will you put your password in. Lol.

Awww :rofl:

MSWallack
11-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Nope. The bookshelf shows what's on the cloud (thus, all books purchased on our family's Amazon account), not just what's been downloaded to this particular Fire.

WT Sharpe
11-18-2011, 03:15 PM

You dummy! Don't you know that you can set up a PIN number for app purchases? How did you ever get to be a moderator?

Yes, I discovered a few minutes ago that you can set up a pin for that device as well as set up parental controls. When I then tried to purchase a comic in the Comix app, the pin screen popped up. This is good.

Unfortunately, all the books you've purchased are still available for downloading without the PIN, and I'm not sure my ex-daughter-in-law wants my grandson reading Fanny Hill.

Blossom
11-18-2011, 03:17 PM
You dummy! Don't you know that you can set up a PIN number for app purchases? How did you ever get to be a moderator?

Yes, I discovered a few minutes ago that you can set up a pin for that device as well as set up parental controls. When I then tried to purchase a comic in the Comix app, the pin screen popped up. This is good.

Unfortunately, all the books you've purchase are still available for downloading without the PIN, and I'm not sure I want my ex-daughter-in-law wants my grandson reading Fanny Hill.

Darn I was coming here to post about it! :rofl: I saw the new Parental controls this morning on my phone. :D So it's possible we will soon see it other places I think. :D

WT Sharpe
11-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Did that just start today?

Blossom
11-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Did that just start today?

No yesterday when I got an update for the app store. I was just too busy here to see if anything was new till this morning before bed.

MSWallack
11-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Sorry. I'm confused. Are there now parental controls for the Kindle Fire?

Blossom
11-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Sorry. I'm confused. Are there now parental controls for the Kindle Fire?

Only for purchasing apps currently.

WT Sharpe
11-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Hopefully Parental Controls for reading material and videos is in the works.

TheLost
11-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Only for purchasing apps currently.

Awesome news!