View Full Version : Kindle Fire Tips & Tricks & How-To's

Pages : [1] 2

poohbear_nc
11-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Folks - start posting your discoveries here so everyone will have a common place!

sirmaru
11-15-2011, 03:56 PM
My first tip:

When you receive your Fire perform the following steps first:

1. Connect to your WiFi.
2. Register your unit with Amazon if it is not already registered with them.
3. Charge your unit for four hours.
4. Check under settings if you have firmware version 6.0.0 or 6.1.0. If you have the former version, go here to update to the latter version:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_k6_updatesi?nodeId=200790620
5. Have fun !

xari
11-15-2011, 06:35 PM
To remove an icon (including IMDb) from the Favorites shelf, press down and hold the icon. After a moment, a pop-up will appear with the option to 'Remove from Favorites'.

xari
11-15-2011, 06:38 PM
To remove a bookmark from the Silk browser, press down and hold the bookmark. After a moment, a pop-up will appear with various options, the last being 'Delete'.

Blossom
11-15-2011, 09:02 PM
To get sideloaded books to show up in the carousel you need to remove the pdoc tag from the mobi book.

You can do this in Calibre.

From Calibre's Book Conversion window click on MOBI output
Find the box that says Personal Doc Tag: [pdoc]
Delete [pdoc] from the box and reconvert book.
It should now show up with your other books on the Fire.

You can set Calibre to permanently do this in
Preferences/Output options/MOBI output.
Delete [pdoc] from the box and click apply at the top.

Note: If you don't care about the books showing up in the carousel then just email them to your Kindle. This will use the Personal Documents Cloud and you will be able synch those without modifying them in Calibre.

sirmaru
11-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Does anyone know how to add songs to a playlist in the Fire? I named the playlist but cannot figure out how to add my songs from the device (I had copied some from my PC)?

TomF
11-15-2011, 09:29 PM
The Fire comes with Quickoffice pre-installed and there doesn't appear to be any way to remove it even if you have Quickoffice Pro installed.

If you open the pre-installed version of Quickoffice there is an option to update. Pressing this button and clicking Buy Now will take you to the Amazon App Store. Since you've already purchased Quickoffice Pro it will have an option to Open. Doing this does nothing to "update" the pre-installed version and doesn't remove it.

Blossom
11-15-2011, 09:36 PM
The Fire comes with Quickoffice pre-installed and there doesn't appear to be any way to remove it even if you have Quickoffice Pro installed.

If you open the pre-installed version of Quickoffice there is an option to update. Pressing this button and clicking Buy Now will take you to the Amazon App Store. Since you've already purchased Quickoffice Pro it will have an option to Open. Doing this does nothing to "update" the pre-installed version and doesn't remove it.

Call Kindle Support. I don't think it can be removed but maybe they know something I don't.

Strether
11-15-2011, 09:54 PM

What are the ramifications of doing this in regards to your other e-readers?

Jim

Blossom
11-15-2011, 09:59 PM
What are the ramifications of doing this in regards to your other e-readers?

Jim

:chinscratch: It wont see the books are pdocs if you remove the tags on the other readers. Not sure of synching issue. Best bet is just email the docs to your Kindle. They wont show up in your carousel but they will still synch on your other "real" Kindles but not Kindle apps.

jswinden
11-15-2011, 10:41 PM
How to Sideload Apps:
I recommend that you install the free ES File Explorer available through the Amazon App Store. You will need an app like it to install sideloaded *.apk files which are apps BTW.

Tap Quick Settings, More, Device, then click On to enable Allow Installation of Applications from Unknown Sources.
Google your app and search for the APK file. Try looking on the developer's website.
Download the APK file to your computer.
Copy the APK file to the root (or a folder of your choice) on the Fire via a USB connection to your computer. After copied, disconnect the Fire from the computer by clicking Disconnect on the bottom of the Fire's screen and then unplug the USB cable.
Start ES File Explorer and select the APK file then select install when prompted.
All done.

Scarpad
11-15-2011, 11:03 PM
I manually loaded a Hi def File encoded for Appletv, an Episode of It's Sunny in Philadelphia, put it in the video folder and browsed to it with ES File Explorer, and played it with the ES Video player, it played Fantastic. And Looked Great the screen is nice on this player.

nimblem
11-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Has anyone found a calendar that works well for scheduling several months in advance?

jswinden
11-16-2011, 12:05 AM
Easily Import Google Contacts during Gmail Setup:
If you have already set up a Google account with contacts, then you can easily import those contacts when setting up the Fire's email app for your Gmail account.

Set up your Gmail account in the Fire Email app by entering the Gmail address and password.
The app will test the email address to ensure it is a valid account, then it prompts you as to whether you want to import your Google contacts. The prompt is in the form of a checkbox option.
Select the checkbox and click Finish and the Gmail account is set up and your Google Contacts now are in the Fire's Contacts app. It was insanely simple and easy and fast.

Blossom
11-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Has anyone found a calendar that works well for scheduling several months in advance?

I got the business calendar (http://www.amazon.com/Mikado-Software-Business-Calendar/dp/B004TTMYQG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=mobile-apps&qid=1321420067&sr=1-3) from Amazon when it was free. It's like a google or outlook clone.

SCION
11-16-2011, 02:23 AM
I got the business calendar (http://www.amazon.com/Mikado-Software-Business-Calendar/dp/B004TTMYQG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=mobile-apps&qid=1321420067&sr=1-3) from Amazon when it was free. It's like a google or outlook clone.

Hmmm, it doesn't appear to be compatible with the Fire. As shown in the "Compatibility with your devices" section.

Blossom
11-16-2011, 02:28 AM
Hmmm, it doesn't appear to be compatible with the Fire. As shown in the "Compatibility with your devices" section.

Awww :( Well there's also mobile Google calendar via a browser.

janiebegood
11-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Did your Fires come with a USB cable? Mine only included an A/C charger. Also: how can I delete items from the "carousel"?

ETA: Never mind about the USB cable. I see they are "sold separately" and assume I can use one of my other Kindles USB cables. Will report if that turns out to be a problem!

Would still like to know how to delete items from the carousel, though...

sirmaru
11-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Did your Fires come with a USB cable? Mine only included an A/C charger. Also: how can I delete items from the "carousel"?

ETA: Never mind about the USB cable. I see they are "sold separately" and assume I can use one of my other Kindles USB cables. Will report if that turns out to be a problem!

Would still like to know how to delete items from the carousel, though...

Hold a finger on the item until a menu appears. Then tap "delete."

janiebegood
11-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Hold a finger on the item until a menu appears. Then tap "delete."

Sirmaru, when I do that, the only option available is "add to favorites". No menu!

serp
11-16-2011, 09:48 AM
If you use google's email/calendar/etc then the mobile sites of these things are actually very nice. It does require you to be connected to wifi to use them but if you are always around a wifi network I have found them to be a better option than the included email program. Just go to your browser and visit https://google.com/mail or https://m.google.com

Also the mobile version of Google Music looks pretty much just like the android app. Once again though you won't be able to pin playlists and store them locally so only good if you are on wifi.

If you visit these sites, bookmark them, then go back to your homescreen they will be on the Carousel and you can then add it to your favorites. This should be true of any site you want to put in your favorites. Now if I could just find a way to change the icon for bookmarks favorited.

xari
11-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Sirmaru, when I do that, the only option available is "add to favorites". No menu!

Ahhhhhhhh, as far as we know, item cannot be deleted from that carousel up above; they can only be deleted from the favorites bookshelves down below.

Hopefully they'll add that option in a future update.

jswinden
11-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Ahhhhhhhh, as far as we know, item cannot be deleted from that carousel up above; they can only be deleted from the favorites bookshelves down below.

Hopefully they'll add that option in a future update.

Yep, I noticed that the carousel includes all the archived books. I have only about 50 books archived and that makes for too big of a carousel! I can only imagine how bad it will be for those who have 2000 books archived. I used to mostly sideload books, but have recently switched over to using the archive so this will be a problem for me before too long. Amazon at least needs to include the option of NOT listing the entire Archive or Cloud as they do in the Books section where we can select to view books via Cloud (Archive) or Device.

Blossom
11-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Yep, I noticed that the carousel includes all the archived books. I have only about 50 books archived and that makes for too big of a carousel! I can only imagine how bad it will be for those who have 2000 books archived. I used to mostly sideload books, but have recently switched over to using the archive so this will be a problem for me before too long. Amazon at least needs to include the option of NOT listing the entire Archive or Cloud as they do in the Books section where we can select to view books via Cloud (Archive) or Device.

:eek: oh boy I'm one of those people.

TimW
11-16-2011, 12:40 PM
:eek: oh boy I'm one of those people.

Me too. My carousel will be so unwieldy it's liable to shatter my gorilla glass. No, I don't care for the idea of an unending carousel of books, movies, etc. :no:

SCION
11-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Or maybe a Carousel with the last 10 - 20 items accessed/downloaded. Right now it's too much that it's really not practical.

jswinden
11-16-2011, 12:55 PM
They definitely need to rethink the viewing options for the carousel! If you have hundreds of books, perhaps thousands of songs, plus lots of videos, apps, et cetera, it will be a huge mess to find anything. :( Still beats the pants off the Nook though! :D

SCION
11-16-2011, 01:00 PM
They definitely need to rethink the viewing options for the carousel! If you have hundreds of books, perhaps thousands of songs, plus lots of videos, apps, et cetera, it will be a huge mess to find anything. :( Still beats the pants off the Nook though! :D

You're silly! I'm not going back. :p

dukefingaz
11-16-2011, 01:34 PM
To get sideloaded books to show up in the carousel you need to remove the pdoc tag from the mobi book.

You can do this in Calibre.

From Calibre's Book Conversion window click on MOBI output
Delete [pdoc] from the box and reconvert book.
It should now show up with your other books on the Fire.

Note: If you don't care about the books showing up in the carousel then just email them to your Kindle. This will use the Personal Documents Cloud and you will be able synch those without modifying them in Calibre.

Thanks for this post, was worried was gonna lose lots of books for the wifey.

sirmaru
11-16-2011, 01:47 PM
I decided NOT to use the Carousel. I just use the Shelves for what I like. The Carousel is really like the Archive folder of the 3rd Generation Kindle Kbd WiFi.

Move what interests you to the Shelves and then roll your screen down so only the Shelves appear. We should have an option to make the Carousel DISAPPEAR like the Archive did in the 3rd generation

SCION
11-16-2011, 02:02 PM
I decided NOT to use the Carousel. I just use the Shelves for what I like. The Carousel is really like the Archive folder of the 3rd Generation Kindle Kbd WiFi.

Move what interests you to the Shelves and then roll your screen down so only the Shelves appear. We should have an option to make the Carousel DISAPPEAR like the Archive did in the 3rd generation

Yeah, I agree. The placement of the favorites shelves is convenient enough.

Blossom
11-16-2011, 02:22 PM

I find it ugly and annoying and not useful. It too big and I don't like it. I would of been happy with a recent shelf instead.

obsessed2
11-16-2011, 02:34 PM
How to Sideload Apps:
I recommend that you install the free ES File Explorer available through the Amazon App Store. You will need an app like it to install sideloaded *.apk files which are apps BTW.

Tap Quick Settings, More, Device, then click On to enable Allow Installation of Applications from Unknown Sources.
Google your app and search for the APK file. Try looking on the developer's website.
Download the APK file to your computer.
Copy the APK file to the root on the Fire via a USB connection to your computer. After copied, disconnect the Fire from the computer by clicking Disconnect on the bottom of the Fire's screen and then unplug the USB cable.
Start ES File Explorer and select the APK file then select install when prompted.
All done.

My son will be opening his Kindle Fire later today. I own two other Android tablets and I have a question regarding ES File Explorer, specifically on the Kindle Fire. On my other two Android tablets I can launch ES File Explorer and in the top left hand corner it says Local. If I press it I get a pull down menu and can change the view to LAN, FTP, or Bluetooth (obviously this last option won't apply to the Fire). If I select LAN it allows me to view shared folders on my computer which I can then access and copy files (Apps, Documents, Photos etc.) wirelessly to my tablet without using a USB cable. My question is: When you launch ES File Explorer on the Fire is there a pull down menu that will allow you to select LAN and view shared computers on your LAN? If so, it may be possible to transfer files wireless instead of USB. If no one responds I'll check this later today and see if it's possible. I like to transfer files wireless to my other tablets using ES File Explorer, much easier and convenient then a USB cable.

Blossom
11-16-2011, 02:51 PM
My son will be opening his Kindle Fire later today. I own two other Android tablets and I have a question regarding ES File Explorer, specifically on the Kindle Fire. On my other two Android tablets I can launch ES File Explorer and in the top left hand corner it says Local. If I press it I get a pull down menu and can change the view to LAN, FTP, or Bluetoooh (obviously this last option won't apply to the Fire). If I select LAN it allows me to view shared folders on my computer which I can then access and copy files (Apps, Documents, Photos etc.) wirelessly to my tablet without using a USB cable. My question is: When you launch ES File Explorer on the Fire is there a pull down menu that will allow you to select LAN and view shared computers on your LAN? If so, it may be possible to transfer files wireless instead of USB. If no one responds I'll check this later today and see if it's possible. I like to transfer files wireless to my other tablets using ES File Explorer, much easier and convenient then a USB cable.

It looks like there is so you should be able to.

obsessed2
11-16-2011, 03:05 PM
How to Side Load Files (Apps, Documents etc.) using Wireless LAN

You can transfer Apps, Movies, Music, Photos, and Documents from Shared folders on your PC to the Kindle Fire using your Wireless LAN, without using a USB cable. Here's how:

1) Enable Network Discovery, File Sharing, and Media Sharing on your PC (Windows Vista / 7: Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center. Once this is done, create a Shared Folder on your PC using Windows Explorer (e.g. Fire Apps). To share the Folder right click the created Folder and select Share. You can choose to share this with Everyone or just select users. If your PC has a Firewall you need to make sure the Trust Level is set to Share. For example in Norton 2011, under Network Security click on Network Security Map, Edit Network Details, and Edit the trust Level to Shared. Other Security Suites will obviously be different but similar.

2) Download ES file Explorer (free from Amazon App Store)

3) Tap Quick Settings, More, Device, then click On to enable Allow Installation of Applications from Unknown Sources.

4) Open ES File Explorer

5) In the Upper Left Hand Corner Touch Local

6) You should receive a Change View selection

7) Select LAN

8) Select Menu, New, and Scan. (Note: If you know your PC's IP address you can Select Server and enter the IP address, a Username and Password if necessary, or you can log in Anonymous). The Scan option works best for users without a lot of PC experience.

9) If you ran a Scan, you should see a list of PCs on your LAN that have Network Discovery enabled

10) Select your PC and enter Password as needed and the Shared Folder you created should be visible

11) From here you can merely touch an App to "copy" and install it to your Fire. Once the App is downloaded the Fire should prompt you to install it.

12) You can LONG press (press and hold) any App, Document, Movie, Music, or any other file in your Shared Folder and select Copy. You can also select Multiple Files and Copy and Paste them all at once to the Fire. Press the little icon in the right hand corner and another set of icons will appear. Press the one with the plus sign to select multiple files. Once all files are selected LONG press one file and Copy.

13) Back in the top left corner press LAN and select Local

14) Select the Local Folder where you want to copy files. You can use an existing folder create a New Folder using the Menu button.

14) You will see a small slide Tab at the bottom of the screen. Slide it up and long press any file and select Paste or Paste All.

15) Your file should now be on the Fire

16) This procedure is really much easier than it sounds. Plus you eliminate having to use the USB cable every time you want to transfer a document or side load an App.

wallcraft
11-16-2011, 07:11 PM
This is perhaps too obvious, but I find the landscape keyboard much easier to use. When entering text, flip between landscape and portrait to see which you prefer.

dukefingaz
11-17-2011, 01:15 AM
does anyone know how to load your own videos and what format it needs to be in for the kindle fire

dukefingaz
11-17-2011, 01:21 AM
does anyone know how to load your own videos and what format it needs to be in for the kindle fire and how to get to show up after loading it to the cloud drive.

Radnor
11-17-2011, 01:23 AM
I'm using Emit to stream videos from my computer. It works surprisingly well.

http://www.amazon.com/Biokoda-d-o-o-Emit/dp/B005NACIPW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1321510995&sr=8-4

sirmaru
11-17-2011, 06:28 AM
Best Bibles measured by speed of searches:

PC - Logos
3rd Generation Kindle Keyboard - Osnova KJV and NET plus Crossway ESV
4th Generation Kindle Fire - Tecarta KJV, NIV and NIVSB

Since the Kindle Fire inhibits indexing, the Osnova Bibles are crippled in their speeds while being super fast on the 3rd Generation Kindles.

janiebegood
11-17-2011, 07:44 AM
does anyone know how to load your own videos and what format it needs to be in for the kindle fire and how to get to show up after loading it to the cloud drive.

I did this just yesterday! Plug the Kindle Fire into the computer via the USB cable. Find the video you want to load (I was moving .mp4 files, so I don't know what other ones it will support). Pull the video into the Pictures folder on the Fire, NOT the Video folder. When you're done, disconnect and open the Gallery icon. Your videos should be there.

obsessed2
11-17-2011, 09:07 AM
To check available storage, press the Quick Settings Icon, More (+), and select Device. The first line item shows how much storage is remaining on the Fire.

paul13
11-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Hi everyone - first post here, just got my Kindle Fire yesterday...

1. Seems like the only way to get rid of the pre-listed app shortcuts is to actually install them, then long press to remove from device?

2. Just installed Spotify as my first non-Amazon store app. Downloaded apk from m.spotify.com and ran with ES File Explorer. Seems to be installed running fine, but my one problem is that I can't see the pause (and next/prev track) icons which may be hidden by the main menu bar at the bottom of the screen? Anyone else tried the Spotify app on the Fire yet?

3. Agree with the other comments about the carousel being messy and fairly useless once you have more than a few books, etc. Hopefully there will be some way to turn that off and stick with the favourites shelf.

jswinden
11-17-2011, 11:24 AM
How to Turn On/Off Keyboard Autocorrections (Quick Fixes)

Quick Fixes (autocorrections while typing) on touchscreen interfaces is notoriously annoying, even on iOS. You think you typed one thing, send your email or text message, then realize the autocorrection changed a word or two, often very awkwardly! With the Kindle Fire you can turn Quick Fixes On or Off.

You can turn this On or Off by selecting Quick Menu --> More --> Kindle Keyboard, then for the Quick Fixes option select On or Off.

jswinden
11-17-2011, 11:25 AM
How to Copy and Paste on the Fire

To copy touch and hold on a word until a dialog box appears then choose the appropriate option such as Select or Select All. The word(s) are then highlighted, so now you can drag the sides of the highlighting to ensure you select all the words you want highlighted. Now touch and hold on the highlighted text until a dialog box appears and choose Copy.

To paste touch and hold where you want to paste the text until a dialog box appears and choose Paste.

This is pretty standard with touchscreen interfaces like iOS and Android. It probably works a bit more smoothly in iOS, but it works okay in Android too.

obsessed2
11-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Speed up browsing using the Stock Browser. While using the Browser, press Menu, Settings, and under Advanced Settings select Desktop or mobile view and then Optimize for Mobile View.

jswinden
11-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Speed up browsing using the Stock Browser. While using the Browser, press Menu, Settings, and under Advanced Settings select Optimize for Mobile View.

The Mobile: Optimize for Mobile View option is located in Menu --> Settings --> Desktop or Mobile View.

obsessed2
11-17-2011, 01:53 PM
The Mobile: Optimize for Mobile View option is located in Menu --> Settings --> Desktop or Mobile View.

Why yes it is. However, this setting can also be changed by pressing the Menu Icon while using the browser and proceeding as I describe. One thing you learn quickly about Android is that the Menu Icon provides Options and Settings for many Apps. I recommend whenever anyone has an App open that they press the Menu Icon before the Home Icon and see what is available. The Menu Options will vary depending on the App.

jswinden
11-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Why yes it is. However, this setting can also be changed by pressing the Menu Icon while using the browser and proceeding as I describe. One thing you learn quickly about Android is that the Menu Icon adds functionality for many Apps. I recommend whenever you have any App open you press the Menu Icon and see what is available.

No need to get grouchy, I was merely clarifying the correct menu items since a lot of Fire owners seem to be new to Android. I'm a retired tech writer and I tend to be literal when pointing out menu/option item labels otherwise people get more confused than they already are. BTW, you still have it wrong as the actual menu label is Desktop or mobile view whereas Optimize for Mobile View is one of three options found after selecting Desktop or mobile view.

obsessed2
11-17-2011, 02:20 PM
QUOTE=jswinden;1837122] BTW, you still have it wrong as the actual menu label is Desktop or mobile view whereas Optimize for Mobile View is one of three options found after selecting Desktop or mobile view.[/QUOTE]

I'll be more clear next time. :thanks:

PS: I'm not being grouchy, honest. :)

craig8128
11-17-2011, 02:59 PM
I did this just yesterday! Plug the Kindle Fire into the computer via the USB cable. Find the video you want to load (I was moving .mp4 files, so I don't know what other ones it will support). Pull the video into the Pictures folder on the Fire, NOT the Video folder. When you're done, disconnect and open the Gallery icon. Your videos should be there.

Aaaa-HA! That explains it. I was foolishly drag/dropping my videos into the Video folder, d'oh!

(thanks for the tip, janie!)

FWIW, I loaded a DLNA streamer app called Spitka and I was able to stream .mp4 and .m4v format files on the Kindle Fire. I need to do more experimenting to see what else is supported. I'll post back here when I get some results.

Craig

friktion
11-17-2011, 03:14 PM
You can watch .avi's by downloading ASTRO file manager and clicking on the avi file. I've been watching like this. It's HD-beautiful! ** Correction: I watch in VLC MediaPlayer, after I click in ASTRO. Sorry, I wasn't precise enough. But this does play .avi

QUOTE=dukefingaz;1836191]does anyone know how to load your own videos and what format it needs to be in for the kindle fire[/QUOTE]

Blossom
11-17-2011, 03:20 PM
You can watch .avi's by downloading ASTRO file manager and clicking on the avi file. I've been watching like this. It's HD-beautiful!

QUOTE=dukefingaz;1836191]does anyone know how to load your own videos and what format it needs to be in for the kindle fire

Oh it does do AVI? That's great! I have a few documentaries I like to watch on it if I can find them. :rofl:

sirmaru
11-17-2011, 05:21 PM
How to Copy and Paste on the Fire

To copy touch and hold on a word until a dialog box appears then choose the appropriate option such as Select or Select All. The word(s) are then highlighted, so now you can drag the sides of the highlighting to ensure you select all the words you want highlighted. Now touch and hold on the highlighted text until a dialog box appears and choose Copy.

To paste touch and hold where you want to paste the text until a dialog box appears and choose Paste.

This is pretty standard with touchscreen interfaces like iOS and Android. It probably works a bit more smoothly in iOS, but it works okay in Android too.

That works for setting highlights and inserting notes as well. I wasn't aware of that technique.

sirmaru
11-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Why yes it is. However, this setting can also be changed by pressing the Menu Icon while using the browser and proceeding as I describe. One thing you learn quickly about Android is that the Menu Icon provides Options and Settings for many Apps. I recommend whenever anyone has an App open that they press the Menu Icon before the Home Icon and see what is available. The Menu Options will vary depending on the App.

I tried that but do not see an option to delete a bookmark. How is that done?

tedwards70
11-17-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm finding the carousel view to be distracting. Thanks for all the tips you have provided. I have lots of books and would like them to show up in the "book" tab...some work some don't.

janiebegood
11-17-2011, 05:47 PM
I tried that but do not see an option to delete a bookmark. How is that done?

sirmaru, I am curious to know that as well!

obsessed2
11-17-2011, 06:31 PM
sirmaru, I am curious to know that as well!

With the Stock Browser open, touch the bottom of the screen to bring up the Options Bar if it is not visible. Touch the last Icon on the far right of the Options bar. This will open your Bookmarks. LONG press (press and hold) the Bookmark you want to delete. You should receive a pop-up menu which will allow you to delete the bookmark as well as some other choices.

Blossom
11-17-2011, 07:24 PM

You can transfer Apps, Movies, Music, Photos, and Documents from Shared folders on your PC to the Kindle Fire using your Wireless LAN, without using a USB cable. Here's how:

1) Enable Network Discovery, File Sharing, and Media Sharing on your PC (Windows Vista / 7: Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center. Once this is done, create a Shared Folder on your PC using Windows Explorer (e.g. Fire Apps). To share the Folder right click the created Folder and select Share. You can choose to share this with Everyone or just select users.

16) This procedure is really much easier than it sounds. Plus you eliminate having to use the USB cable every time you want to transfer a document or side load an App.

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: It works!!!

obsessed2
11-17-2011, 07:35 PM
:thanks: :thanks: :thanks: It works!!!

Glad to hear it worked for you. I tried to be as specific as possible, but if there is something I missed or is confusing let me know and I'll correct the post. I never use a USB cable to transfer files to my Android tablets. Transferring files by wireless is much easier, especially if you do it enough times. :thumbsup:

Blossom
11-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Glad to hear it worked for you. I tried to be as specific as possible, but if there is something I missed or is confusing let me know and I'll correct the post. I never use a USB cable to transfer files to my Android tablets. Transferring files by wireless is much easier, especially if you do it enough times. :thumbsup:

It was easy but I don't have Win 7 I have Vista and I've already have a home network with my other PCs so I just put my PC's IP address in, checked anonymous and I was in. :D

obsessed2
11-17-2011, 07:51 PM
It was easy but I don't have Win 7 I have Vista and I've already have a home network with my other PCs so I just put my PC's IP address in, checked anonymous and I was in. :D

That's the best way to do it if you know your PC's IP address and it never changes. I'll add that as an option. However, most people won't know their IP address and if their home Network uses DHCP (automatic IP addressing) the PC's IP address can change. In fact, if your Server (PC) ever drops off the LAN Shares list, chances are its IP address has changed. A Scan for Servers will find all PCs with Network Discovery enabled and will attempt log in anonymously. Anyway, I'm happy it worked for you and it definitely makes files transfers a breeze.

Blossom
11-17-2011, 07:55 PM
That's the best way to do it if you know your PC's IP address and it never changes. Most people won't know it and if your home router uses DHCP (automatic IP addressing) the PC's IP address can change. In fact, if your Server (PC) ever drops off the Server list chances are its IP address has changed. A Scan for Servers works for most LANs that use DHCP. Anyway, happy it worked for you and it definitely makes files transfers a breeze.

I deleted it then when back to scan instead and it's just says scanning for 3 minutes now. There only one PC and Tablet connected. How long does a scan take?

obsessed2
11-17-2011, 08:14 PM
I deleted it then when back to scan instead and it's just says scanning for 3 minutes now. There only one PC and Tablet connected. How long does a scan take?

It usually only takes about 30-45 seconds total before it ends if NO Servers are present. Did you LONG press (press and hold) the PC (icon) you set up previously and Delete it before scanning? I wouldn't necessarily do this now if it is working for you, but if for some reason the Fire refuses to connect to the PC you will have manually drop it from the list if you entered a static IP address. Android normally will drop it automatically if it doesn't see it when using dynamic IP addressing.

I scanned my home Network and the Fire picked up my Network Enabled PC immediately, and continued to scan about 20-30 seconds before ending. However, once the desired PC pops up you can end the scan with the back arrow icon.

Also, one thing I failed to mention, but have since added, is if your PC or router has a Firewall you need to make sure the Trust Level is set to Share. For example in Norton 2011, under Network Security click on Network Security Map, Edit Network Details, and Edit the trust Level to Shared. Other Security Suites will obviously be different but similar.

Blossom
11-17-2011, 08:53 PM
It usually only takes about 30-45 seconds total before it ends if NO Servers are present. Did you LONG press (press and hold) the PC (icon) you set up previously and Delete it before scanning? I wouldn't necessarily do this now if it is working for you, but if for some reason the Fire refuses to connect to the PC you will have manually drop it from the list if you entered a static IP address. Android normally will drop it automatically if it doesn't see it when using dynamic IP addressing.

I scanned my home Network and the Fire picked up my Network Enabled PC immediately, and continued to scan about 20-30 seconds before ending. However, once the desired PC pops up you can end the scan with the back arrow icon.

Also, one thing I failed to mention, but have since added, is if your PC or router has a Firewall you need to make sure the Trust Level is set to Share. For example in Norton 2011, under Network Security click on Network Security Map, Edit Network Details, and Edit the trust Level to Shared. Other Security Suites will obviously be different but similar.

I finally just hit the back button and it worked that way. I think it got stuck. I have an old router so it probably got confused. :)

dukefingaz
11-17-2011, 10:09 PM
You can watch .avi's by downloading ASTRO file manager and clicking on the avi file. I've been watching like this. It's HD-beautiful! ** Correction: I watch in VLC MediaPlayer, after I click in ASTRO. Sorry, I wasn't precise enough. But this does play .avi

QUOTE=dukefingaz;1836191]does anyone know how to load your own videos and what format it needs to be in for the kindle fire[/QUOTE]

I actually upload an .avi file and watched it through the gallery, just loaded it to the pictures folder. no need for the vlc player.

dukefingaz
11-17-2011, 10:48 PM
has anyone tried to load any books to the cloud and gotten them to show up on the fire yet?

janiebegood
11-18-2011, 08:12 AM
Good morning!

Is anyone else having trouble getting Pulse to update? I'm still looking at the same stupid stories that were there on Wednesday, despite hitting the "refresh all" button like I'm a monkey looking for a hit of cocaine!

obsessed2
11-18-2011, 09:33 AM
I finally just hit the back button and it worked that way. I think it got stuck. I have an old router so it probably got confused. :)

Could be because your router is old, who knows. OK, now that you have done it the hard way, I'm going to offer a simpler way of doing using a Web Browser on your PC. The hard way is still good to know.

Wi-Fi File Explorer let's you easily transfer files (Apps, Documents, Movies, Music etc.) from your PC to your Fire using a Web Browser on your PC, without using a USB cable. This App requires that you are connected to a wireless network. When you enter the File Explorer Web URL address into a browser on your PC you are looking at your Fire's Directory Structure. Real simple to use. Make sure you enter the ENTIRE address in your web browser as it appears in the File Explorer Web URL Screen of the App. For example: 192.168.1.47:8000

Note: You should Exit the App once you are done using it otherwise it could interfere with screen saving etc. (Options Bar --> MENU --> Exit). More specifically from the App description: PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.

Older Version: [Deleted unauthorised download URL]

UPDATE: Thanks to Blossom who tested a newer version of this App from Amazon for a whopping 99 cents. Trust me, this is one App you will want to have.

http://www.amazon.com/Dooblou-WiFi-File-Explorer-PRO/dp/B004OZOTSQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=mobile-apps&qid=1321641082&sr=1-1

Amazon offers a free version as well: http://www.amazon.com/Dooblou-WiFi-File-Explorer/dp/B004KA1YE2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=mobile-apps&qid=1321641082&sr=1-2

astrodad
11-18-2011, 09:57 AM
This is a very minor thing, but I noticed that after I changed the name of my device to 'My Kindle', the word 'kindle' in the top left of the device was no longer orange. I changed it to 'my kindle' and it's orange again. Not important, but it's a little aesthetic thing that adds a nice touch.

So the word 'kindle' needs to be in lowercase.

To change your device name, go to the Amazon web site and then find the link to Manager Your Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fiona/manage?ie=UTF8&ref_=kinw_myk_surl_2#manageDevices

jswinden
11-18-2011, 10:52 AM
If you have never owned an Android device before the Fire, then you might not be aware that apps often don't really close when you exit them. If you are not careful you can wind up with a lot of running apps that can become a drain on your battery and slow down the Fire's performance. There are apps available that can help manage this issue.

Another way is to manually stop unnecessary apps from running by pressing Quick Menu --> More --> Applications then select Running Applications in the Filter by field. This displays a list of all currently running apps along with how many processes and services each uses.

To stop an app from running, select the app from the list and on the screen that is displayed press the Force Stop button.

Some of these probably should be left running like Settings, Amazon Device Client Platform, Kindle Keyboard, etc. But some are simply apps you opened hours ago and thought were closed when you exited them. Use your judgement and close the unnecessary apps and this will help battery and power performance.

mpeg2
11-18-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm not sure you really need to actively kill apps that you're not using. Android (the basis of the Kindle Fire OS) has a very good memory management system. These apps that you're "killing" are probably not taking any CPU & minimal memory usage - however, they're sitting in the background, available for much quicker loading. If memory is needed, Android will clear it for you.

On the Android phones, there was a brief period where people were using app killers to clean things up - only to discover that they consumed more memory and battery by doing so. Now the recommendation is to simply let Android take care of it for you.

Rich

Blossom
11-18-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure you really need to actively kill apps that you're not using. Android (the basis of the Kindle Fire OS) has a very good memory management system. These apps that you're "killing" are probably not taking any CPU & minimal memory usage - however, they're sitting in the background, available for much quicker loading. If memory is needed, Android will clear it for you.

On the Android phones, there was a brief period where people were using app killers to clean things up - only to discover that they consumed more memory and battery by doing so. Now the recommendation is to simply let Android take care of it for you.

Rich

There are a few exceptions but for the most part this is true. Some apps gets stuck or are buggy and need to be close the way Jack mention.

I notices the Fire does a really good job of closing apps better then my phone which leaves them running. I accidentally left Tune In Radio running in the notifications bar now that's example of an app I forgot to closed. :smack:

KF has yet to go past 40% battery life past 16 hours. This thing has an excellent battery if you keep WiFi off when not in use! :D

Blossom
11-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Could be because your router is old, who knows. OK, now that you have done it the hard way, I'm going to offer a simpler way of doing using a Web Browser on your PC. The hard way is still good to know.

Wi-Fi File Explorer let's you easily transfer files (Apps, Documents, Movies, Music etc.) from your PC to your Fire using a Web Browser on your PC, without using a USB cable. This App requires that you are connected to a wireless network. When you enter the File Explorer Web URL address into a browser on your PC you are looking at your Fire's Directory Structure. Real simple to use. Make sure you enter the ENTIRE address in your web browser as it appears in the File Explorer Web URL Screen of the App.

Thanks I got it from the App Store (http://www.amazon.com/Dooblou-WiFi-File-Explorer-PRO/dp/B004OZOTSQ/) (newer version) for 99 Cents! I'm off to try it! :D

Update: It works great! THANK YOU!!! Well worth the price. :D

jswinden
11-18-2011, 01:25 PM

Rich

Last night my KFire got sluggish so I checked and found a lot of apps needlessly running. Stopping them immediately ended the sluggish performance.

obsessed2
11-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks I got it from the App Store (newer version) for 99 Cents! I'm off to try it! :D

Wow. That cost a lot. :) For that price this App is hard to pass up !!! Especially since it let's you transfer files from your PC to your Fire without being tied down with a USB cable. This is one of my favorite Android utilities.

Blossom
11-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Wow. That cost a lot. :) For that price this App is hard to pass up !!!

Very much worth it! :D Thanks again!

parafluie
11-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Jack, when your messages come up on my computer, there is no text to read. I must reply/quote in order to see what you are saying.

Does anyone else have this problem?

jswinden
11-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Jack, when your messages come up on my computer, there is no text to read. I must reply/quote in order to see what you are saying.

That's weird! I've never heard that before. Maybe I'm morphing into a vampire?!

BTW: I'm posting this from my Windows 7 PC. Occasionally I post here via my iPad or KFire. I wonder if that makes a difference?

astrodad
11-18-2011, 02:14 PM

Nope, works fine for me. What browser are you using? Can you drag and select the text in his posts?

jswinden
11-18-2011, 02:23 PM
BTW, I use FireFox 8 on the PC, Safari on the iPad, and Opera Mini on the KFire. Now I'm off to see if I can se myself in a mirror. ;)

obsessed2
11-18-2011, 03:33 PM
If you have never owned an Android device before the Fire, then you might not be aware that apps often don't really close when you exit them. If you are not careful you can wind up with a lot of running apps that can become a drain on your battery and slow down the Fire's performance. There are apps available that can help manage this issue.

Another way is to manually stop unnecessary apps from running by pressing Quick Menu --> More --> Applications then select Running Applications in the Filter by field. This displays a list of all currently running apps along with how many processes and services each uses.

To stop an app from running, select the app from the list and on the screen that is displayed press the Force Stop button.

Some of these probably should be left running like Settings, Amazon Device Client Platform, Kindle Keyboard, etc. But some are simply apps you opened hours ago and thought were closed when you exited them. Use your judgement and close the unnecessary apps and this will help battery and power performance.

If I may, please allow me to piggyback on this post. When you select an Application as described here, you can also choose to clear any data or cache for the App, and you can clear the Launch by Default setting. This last setting is particularly important if you decide you want to use one App over another. For example, say you want to use Opera Mini instead of the Stock Browser. If you don't clear the Launch by Default for the Stock Browser, when you try to browse with Opera it may kick you back to the Stock Browser by default. Sorry, I don't have my son's Fire in front of me so if I don't have the exact wording for the menus I apologize.

sirmaru
11-18-2011, 03:55 PM

I went to that location and found several apps running. TuneIn Pro was one of them. When I tried to stop it, I recieved a warning that it could misbehave if I did stop it. Thus, I cancelled that.

I believe it may be better to let the running ones continue. For example, TuneIn Pro has presets for radio stations. They may get lost if I manually stop it from running.

I also found with that program, that I could turn off my power and the radio station would continue to play via an external speaker. I had to hold the on/off button for 5 seconds to force a total shut down of the music. The control panel stopped working once I turned off the power but without the full shut down.

jswinden
11-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I went to that location and found several apps running. TuneIn Pro was one of them. When I tried to stop it, I recieved a warning that it could misbehave if I did stop it. Thus, I cancelled that.

I believe it may be better to let the running ones continue. For example, TuneIn Pro has presets for radio stations. They may get lost if I manually stop it from running.

I also found with that program, that I could turn off my power and the radio station would continue to play via an external speaker. I had to hold the on/off button for 5 seconds to force a total shut down of the music. The control panel stopped working once I turned off the power but without the full shut down.

You can hit pause from within the app to make sure it doesn't continue playing once you exit. The same goes for music apps.

craig8128
11-18-2011, 04:34 PM

Jack, can you (or anyone) elaborate on what apps can help manage this, and / or common apps that are notorious for doing this?

Also, is there an easier way to bring up the running apps list then <gear> -> More... -> Applications?

My wife is getting remarkably bad battery performance on her Kindle Fire; I think that at least sometimes it's because some app is using wifi. I wish there was some kind of "I'm just reading a book" mode that would quiesce everything on the device not involved with reading a book.

Craig

jswinden
11-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Jack, can you (or anyone) elaborate on what apps can help manage this, and / or common apps that are notorious for doing this?

Also, is there an easier way to bring up the running apps list then <gear> -> More... -> Applications?

My wife is getting remarkably bad battery performance on her Kindle Fire; I think that at least sometimes it's because some app is using wifi. I wish there was some kind of "I'm just reading a book" mode that would quiesce everything on the device not involved with reading a book.

Craig

I better defer this to our resident Android experts. However, if she has an app running that wants to use the WiFi for updating data on a regular basis (like a calendar or email app) then that can certainly drain the battery. My KFire isn't too bad, but my phone gets crazy and drains uber fast some days.

sirmaru
11-18-2011, 04:47 PM
You can hit pause from within the app to make sure it doesn't continue playing once you exit. The same goes for music apps.

The Pause and Stop controls do not work if the patch cord is attached to an external speaker and the Kindle is turned off.

Evidently that is to allow playing radio and / or music for long periods without the automatic shut down for non-use.

However, holding the on / off key for 5 seconds does a total shut down including the sound.

I notice after a total shut down the Kindle takes a little longer to boot up than from the normal sleep mode shut down.

I tried a shut down of the TuneIn app from the Settings \ Application Menu and it had no ill effects on the app. That is the only non-Amazon app that keeps running when one leaves it.

I'll leave it on, however, since I see no purpose in going the extra steps each time I want to end that app. I doubt it really uses that much extra current.

pilotbob
11-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Or maybe a Carousel with the last 10 - 20 items accessed/downloaded. Right now it's too much that it's really not practical.

The carousel is not really meant to be your primary menu/launcher. It is a most recently used stack. Ever time you load/launch something it is added to the top of the carousel stack.

It is the shelves under the carousel you are supposed to use/organize as you want.

has anyone tried to load any books to the cloud and gotten them to show up on the fire yet?

There is no way to get Personal Docs from the cloud storage via the Fire UI. You have to go to your amazon page and send the PD to your Kindle. It will then show up on the "docs" area of your Fire.

BOb

Blossom
11-18-2011, 05:01 PM

Craig

I am currently looking for a similar setting type shortcut but with how Amazon is using a different settings app then the stock android app finding one that works might take some digging. On regular Android you can make a shortcut to it.

ipadandkindle
11-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Calengoo (in Amazon App Store) is a wonderful calendar app. It uses your Google Accounts Calendar.

It just works and is very customizable in terms of font size and color. In particular, I like the week view.

obsessed2
11-18-2011, 07:09 PM
I am currently looking for a similar setting type shortcut but with how Amazon is using a different settings app then the stock android app finding one that works might take some digging. On regular Android you can make a shortcut to it.

Do a Search for App Manager or App Killer on Amazon. I'm sure they have something there. Also, Quick System Info Pro allows you to quickly Manage or Launch Applications. it is available from the Amazon App Store Free.

SCION
11-18-2011, 07:14 PM
I found this in one of the discussion threads on Amazon.com.

Deleting from carousel:

1. To clear apps: settings-applications-Filter by ALL APPS - App Manager-clear data.

2. Delete a video:settings-select more-applications-amazon video- clear data.

3. Clear web pages: web-menu icon- settings In the web browser settings you want to select "Clear history"

It works!!! All your books and periodicals remain. It's a quick and dirty way to clean up the Carousel when needed.

Now if we can get some customization options for it, that would be great. We should be able to select what content we want to show up there. I don't want my apps and web browsing history there. The favorites shelf is good enough for day-to-day app access and movies/tv shows. And we have browser bookmarks.

Blossom
11-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Do a Search for App Manager or App Killer on Amazon. I'm sure they have something there. Also, Quick System Info Pro allows you to quickly Manage or Launch Applications. it is available from the Amazon App Store Free.

I have Superbox Pro I got months back as a giveaway. It is compatible with the Fire.

parafluie
11-19-2011, 04:47 AM
That's weird! I've never heard that before. Maybe I'm morphing into a vampire?!

BTW: I'm posting this from my Windows 7 PC. Occasionally I post here via my iPad or KFire. I wonder if that makes a difference?This is an example. I have replied with a quote above, and thus can read it. But as much as I value your input (how could I not with such a lovely kitty) I just don't want to do that to read each and every message.

I use WXP and Firefox and I cannot drag anything.

Here is a print screeen from photobucket:http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x345/addonymous/th_MobileReadJswindenJPG2.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x345/addonymous/?action=view&current=MobileReadJswindenJPG2.jpg)

Have a great Saturday!

Blossom
11-19-2011, 05:04 AM

That is odd I have no problems seeing his posts. :chinscratch: Try another browser.

Blossom
11-19-2011, 05:06 AM
This is an example. I have replied with a quote above, and thus can read it. But as much as I value your input (how could I not with such a lovely kitty) I just don't want to do that to read each and every message.

Here is a print screeen from photobucket:http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x345/addonymous/th_MobileReadJswindenJPG2.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x345/addonymous/?action=view&current=MobileReadJswindenJPG2.jpg)

Have a great Saturday!

Are you using the lastet version of Firefox?

tilia
11-19-2011, 10:44 AM
This is an example. I have replied with a quote above, and thus can read it. But as much as I value your input (how could I not with such a lovely kitty) I just don't want to do that to read each and every message.

Have a great Saturday!

I think you may have added him to your ignore list. Go into User CP>Edit Ignored Users and check if jswinden is listed there :)

jswinden
11-19-2011, 11:23 AM
I think you may have added him to your ignore list. Go into User CP>Edit Ignored Users and check if jswinden is listed there :)

That is probably it. He is only seeing the title to my posts for some reason. Of course sometime invisibility is a good thing! :)

kennyc
11-20-2011, 05:35 AM

I'm betting they change this in the future as well as allowing you to delete items from the recently used carousel. I would encourage everyone to provide this feedback to Amazon directly.

kennyc
11-20-2011, 05:40 AM
.... :( Still beats the pants off the Nook though! :D

Troublemaker!

WT Sharpe
11-20-2011, 07:27 AM

I have noticed, though, that the first items of the carousel are those you used the last. That's rather convenient.

SamuraiXSendai
11-20-2011, 08:22 AM
I'd find it usedful if there was an option to specify the number of recently opened items, say 5, 10, 20, all.

tbernstein
11-20-2011, 11:13 AM
I highly recommend using calibre on your Mac or Pc to send news to your kindle. I have mine set up to send daily Ny times, wash post, business week, etc. You set up the kindle as the default email in calibre and the news shows up automatically under docs.

The table of contents on the fire is not as nice a display as on the regular kindle' but it usable. Photos look awesome.

sadievan
11-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks I got it from the App Store (newer version) for 99 Cents! I'm off to try it! :D

Just bought it too. Had the free version but that one did not let your transfer files to the Fire.

Carol

obsessed2
11-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Just bought it too. Had the free version but that one did not let your transfer files to the Fire.

Carol

I never tried the Free version. However, the Pro Version is awesome and I have used it for a while. There is a link to an older Pro version (post # 69 off this thread) which works pretty good if people just can't afford to pony up 99 cents. I was using an older version I bought a while back, but for 99 cents the upgrade was money well spent.

Merischino
11-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Still waiting for my separately purchased micro-USB cord to arrive, I have now tried (and failed with) the following attempted methods to add books from non-Amazon sources. If anyone has a tip for how to make this happen, please please let me know. In the meanwhile, hopefully I can help some of you apply your valuable time to other things and just know that basically the USB tether method seems to be the only Kindle Fire option for books that are not purchased from or managed by Amazon.

1. Calibre content server: I can navigate to and access the content server with the Kindle Fire, but all attempts to "get" a book fail. The Kindle Fire's Device setting "Allow installation of applications from unknown sources" is a permission limited to Apps. There does not appear to be an option for unknown content.

2. Free ebook web pages, e.g., Project Gutenberg: downloading a kindle .mobi version of Grimm's Fairytales is one example, downloads tab shows the dl as complete, but it is unable to open the file. Navigating to a file-launching program and attempting to open it that way (es file manager, downloads folder, open as text with quickoffice pro) only achieves gobbledygook. opening as an image, video, or audio file likewise does not work.

3. Emailed titles sent to your account "kindle"@kindle.com where the part in quotes is whatever you named your kindle. 2 out of 10 titles I emailed to my kindle showed up in my personal documents, and those only when I went into the amazon web account management page and found them pending and, in addition to having set up the accepted sender email id, also approved them for whispersyncing down to the kindle. This is essentially a 3 stage process after you do it the first time (which is a 5 stage process because you have to pre-identify the email address you will be sending books from, as well as identify the kindle email address you will be sending books to). All in all, this process is less than desirable to me, and that is even not counting the fact that Amazon charges $0.10 per title you email to yourself using this method.

What happened to the other 8 titles I emailed using this method I don't know.

4. Wifi network browsing: Connecting using a file manager (es file manager here) to my mac with the calibre library on it, I can navigate to various ebook file formats but not a single one will open on the kindle, which gives an error no app for that.

If anyone knows a tip or trick to get (DRM free) books onto the kindle Fire without having the not supplied micro usb cord, please let me know!

obsessed2
11-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Navigating to a file-launching program and attempting to open it that way (es file manager, downloads folder, open as text with quickoffice pro) only achieves gobbledygook. opening as an image, video, or audio file likewise does not work.

If anyone knows a tip or trick to get (DRM free) books onto the kindle Fire without having the not supplied micro usb cord, please let me know!

First, check out this thread, post # 83 starting with step 8: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157221&page=6

I suggest you purchase WiFi Explorer Pro from the Amazon App Store. It is a very inexpensive and can be used to easily transfer files to the Fire. An older version can be downloaded here for free if you want to try it first:

http://download.pandaapp.com/android-app/wifi-file-explorer-pro1.4.3-id4561.html

Under the hood the Fire is an Android device so you may have better luck choosing Android when visiting free e-book sites.

You may want to try CoolReader which works on the Fire and can be used to download books from many sources including Project Gutenberg. Don't forget the MENU icon will bring up various options in CoolReader depending on the screen.

Cool Reader: http://coolreader.org/e-index.htm

I haven't tried FBReader but it is recommended by Project Gutenberg for Android devices (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:MobileReader_Devices_How-To). The requirements for the Reader are fairly light so it should easily work on the Fire.

Select the "for Android 1.6.2.* devices" hyperlink:

http://www.fbreader.org/FBReaderJ

You can download Apps for the Kindle Fire outside of the Amazon Store. To install Apps outside of the Amazon Store you have to set it up on your Fire. Touch Quick Settings, More, Device, and enable Allow Installation of Applications from Unknown Sources.

When downloading Apps outside of the Amazon App Store, you will see a small pop-up in the Notification Area of the Status Bar at the Top of the Fire. If you touch the Notification you will see the download in progress. After the download is complete, touch it to launch the App installation package.

parafluie
11-20-2011, 05:15 PM
That is probably it. He is only seeing the title to my posts for some reason. Of course sometime invisibility is a good thing! :)
Hahah. I don't know jswinden or come here enough to want to ignore him!:rofl: Of course, we do have cats--mine has the strange prediliction for plastic bag capes.

On internet explorer, I can read his (your) posts. Thanks. I'll do more firefox investigation later.

Blossom
11-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Hahah. I don't know jswinden or come here enough to want to ignore him!:rofl: Of course, we do have cats--mine has the strange prediliction for plastic bag capes.

On internet explorer, I can read his (your) posts. Thanks. I'll do more firefox investigation later.

It's either an extension causing it or Firefox has corrupted itself.

It corrupted itself with me a week ago. Never in the years of using it have I had that problem but I had to uninstall, remove all traces and reinstall to get it show webpages correctly. I still don't know what caused it. I'd first try disabling each extensions till you find the one. If it still does it then it's firefox itself.

If you have to reinstall use FEBE to back up the bookmarks, extensions and other stuff.

sadievan
11-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Easily Import Google Contacts during Gmail Setup:
If you have already set up a Google account with contacts, then you can easily import those contacts when setting up the Fire's email app for your Gmail account.

Set up your Gmail account in the Fire Email app by entering the Gmail address and password.
The app will test the email address to ensure it is a valid account, then it prompts you as to whether you want to import your Google contacts. The prompt is in the form of a checkbox option.
Select the checkbox and click Finish and the Gmail account is set up and your Google Contacts now are in the Fire's Contacts app. It was insanely simple and easy and fast.

I got the Enhanced Email App from Amazon when it was free and there is no way to import Contacts that I can find. I can import them into the regular email app that came with the Fire.

Carol

Blossom
11-20-2011, 09:44 PM
I got the Enhanced Email App from Amazon when it was free and there is no way to import Contacts that I can find. I can import them into the regular email app that came with the Fire.

Carol

You can exports your contacts in Google from their site. I believe Vcard is the format you want. Then move then onto the Fire and use the contact app to import them.

sadievan
11-20-2011, 10:10 PM
You can exports your contacts in Google from their site. I believe Vcard is the format you want. Then move then onto the Fire and use the contact app to import them.

I did export my contacts from my computer into vcard format. I was able to import those into the stock email app, but I don't see any option in the Enhanced Email app to import.

Carol

jswinden
11-20-2011, 10:11 PM

Carol

Import your Google contacts with the stock email app. The extended app can use them because they are placed in the Contacts app.

bjones6416
11-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Import your Google contacts with the stock email app. The extended app can use them because they are placed in the Contacts app.

Okay, I imported my contacts using the stock email app, and they are definitely there. I just can't figure out how to make the Enhanced Email use them. Specifically, when I compose a new email, I would expect to be able to click in the "To" field and get a dropdown list of contacts to choose from. It seems to only let me actually type in an email address, though. Any suggestions on how to make this work?

Blossom
11-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Okay, I imported my contacts using the stock email app, and they are definitely there. I just can't figure out how to make the Enhanced Email use them. Specifically, when I compose a new email, I would expect to be able to click in the "To" field and get a dropdown list of contacts to choose from. It seems to only let me actually type in an email address, though. Any suggestions on how to make this work?

It uses auto fill. Start typing the name of the contact in the to box then it will show you choices to choose from. Like if you type a, it will show all contacts that start with a.

sadievan
11-20-2011, 11:21 PM

OK. I must be really dense cause I imported my contacts with the stock mail (did that yesterday). I was able to figure that one out. The contacts are in my contact app. When I open the Enhanced Email app there is no option to import contacts. I even tried to compose a new message and hit the 'to' field. Nothing comes up to select a contact. What am I doing wrong.

Carol

bjones6416
11-20-2011, 11:25 PM
It uses auto fill. Start typing the name of the contact in the to box then it will show you choices to choose from. Like if you type a, it will show all contacts that start with a.

Well, duh. Yes, it does. :o

Thank you!

pilotbob
11-20-2011, 11:26 PM
OK. I must be really dense cause I imported my contacts with the stock mail (did that yesterday). I was able to figure that one out. The contacts are in my contact app. When I open the Enhanced Email app there is no option to import contacts. I even tried to compose a new message and hit the 'to' field. Nothing comes up to select a contact. What am I doing wrong.

Carol

Contacts is a separate app on an Andriod. Any program that wants to can access them.

BOb

jswinden
11-20-2011, 11:38 PM

Carol

See post #115 above.

sadievan
11-21-2011, 01:24 AM

Well double Duh. Thank you.

Actually the stock email app has more options. cc, bcc, attachments.

Carol

Blossom
11-21-2011, 02:02 AM
Well double Duh. Thank you.

Actually the stock email app has more options. cc, bcc, attachments.

Carol

Those are there too. Just hit the menu button when composing a email.

bjones6416
11-21-2011, 06:05 AM
I like that I can make the reading font HUGE using the enhanced email. I also changed it to a light color scheme instead of dark.

JSWolf
11-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Obessed2, do you know that links for apps from 4shared are not legit?

sadievan
11-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Those are there too. Just hit the menu button when composing a email.

Well Triple DUH! :rofl: I could have sworn I checked the menu button. That's usually the first thing I do. Go figure.

I may like the way the stock app lets you add recipients, you just scroll through the list and add. Will have to play around with both apps.

Anyway, I'm glad for all you Android savvy people here. :D I'm coming from an iPhone OS.

Carol

obsessed2
11-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Obessed2, do you know that links for apps from 4shared are not legit?

I do now. Plus, the moderator sent me an e-mail. The Apps I was linking to at 4Shared in the Must Have Apps Thread are free Apps (e.g. Dolphin Browser, Blackboard Mobile, Daily Comic Strip Viewer etc.). I have changed the links to these Apps to websites which meet MobileRead's requirements. Believe me, I'm not out to break any copyright laws. I spent too many years in the military to throw it away over a 99 cent App. Thanks for the heads-up.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157520&page=2

JSWolf
11-21-2011, 12:57 PM
I do now. Plus, the moderator sent me an e-mail. The Apps I was linking to in the Must Have Apps Thread are free Apps (e.g. Dolphin Browser, Blackboard Mobile, Daily Comic Strip Viewer etc.). I have changed the links to these Apps to websites which meet MobileRead's requirements. Believe me, I'm not out to break any copyright laws. I spent too many years in the military to throw it away over a 99 cent App. Thanks for the heads-up.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157520&page=2

Just trying to give you a heads up on some of the links.

obsessed2
11-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Just trying to give you a heads up on some of the links.

Thanks. I didn't realize that you can't link to a free App like Dolphin Browser at 4Shared. I fixed about 4 or 5 links which now go to websites that MobileRead approves of. :thanks:

I have downloaded a few Apps from 4Shared before. FREE Apps only of course to the best of my knowledge, like Dolphin Browser. I check them against the Google Market. The problem you find out with Android is a lot of free Apps are only available on the Google Market. Although it is getting better.

Which brings up some questions. I don't own a cellphone. But if I did and say it was Android, if I download something free from the Android Market and sideload it to my Fire via Dropbox would I be breaking the law? Is it free to distribute?

What makes 4Shared any different from Dropbox or Sugarsync? Norton Internet Security 2012 Site Advisor reports it as OK, just like Dropbox and Sugarsync. I have downloaded free Apps from Sugarsync as well. They are all File Storage and Sharing services. I have a Dropbox account, but I never really tried nor care to share anything. The Terms of Use are similar for all three. All three ban sharing copyright material. What people choose to share is another story. However, I guess no matter what the sharing site is we all have a responsibility to report any violations.

Merischino
11-21-2011, 03:11 PM
First, check out this thread[snip]

I suggest you purchase WiFi Explorer Pro [snip]

Under the hood the Fire is an Android device so you may have better luck choosing Android when visiting free e-book sites.

You may want to try CoolReader [snip]

I haven't tried FBReader [snip]
Select the "for Android 1.6.2.* devices" hyperlink:
[snip]

You can download Apps for the Kindle Fire outside of the Amazon Store.[snip]

Wow, thank you so much! You have kept me busy for a while, but I can now report that all of the above recommendations are what I was hunting for from themoment I got my Fire. Still waiting on my cable but I have stuff to keep me busy until it arrives.

Sideloading apps I've got working smoothly, and I've been able to connect wirelessly using the Wifi Explorer Pro, have got coolreader and FBreader installed. Right now, I'm struggling with figuring out how to view books that are currently in the Documents folder through FBreader. I can see the books in Books easily with both, but the FBreader doesnt seem able to see or access the Documents folder. That's allright, though, because coolreader can.

Thank you for your help!

foosion
11-21-2011, 03:36 PM
What makes 4Shared any different from Dropbox or Sugarsync? I have downloaded free Apps from Sugarsync (I don't have an account with them). As far as I know they are all File Storage and Sharing services. I have a Dropbox account, but I never really tried nor care to share anything. The Terms of Use look similar for all three. All ban sharing copyright material. However, what people choose to do is another story.
There's little wrong with 4Shared itself, as far as I know.

The crowd which is not very concerned with copyright restrictions will use any service that is relatively easy for them to use. The issue is more their actions than the services they use, although some services appear to cater more to this group or are more popular with this group.

It's not always immediately apparent whether some download is legitimate or not.

obsessed2
11-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Wow, thank you so much! You have kept me busy for a while, but I can now report that all of the above recommendations are what I was hunting for from themoment I got my Fire. Still waiting on my cable but I have stuff to keep me busy until it arrives.

Sideloading apps I've got working smoothly, and I've been able to connect wirelessly using the Wifi Explorer Pro, have got coolreader and FBreader installed. Right now, I'm struggling with figuring out how to view books that are currently in the Documents folder through FBreader. I can see the books in Books easily with both, but the FBreader doesnt seem able to see or access the Documents folder. That's allright, though, because coolreader can.

Thank you for your help!

Your welcome. I downloaded and took a look at FBReader and I was able to see and open the Documents folder. Open the FBReader Menu --> select Library --> select File Tree --> select Memory card. From here you can access the Documents folder.

Merischino
11-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Your welcome. I downloaded and took a look at FBReader and I was able to see and open the Documents folder. Open the FBReader Menu --> select Library --> select File Tree --> select Memory card. From here you can access the Documents folder.

Worked like a charm. Never would have thought I would find anything in the "Memory Card" folder since the Fire is not a SD card enabled device... I was hunting for books in the Fbreader - library - file tree - device folder, which basically let me get at some things but mostly was a grisly listing of all system and hidden file structure and file types on the reader.

Thanks!

Blossom
11-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Worked like a charm. Never would have thought I would find anything in the "Memory Card" folder since the Fire is not a SD card enabled device... I was hunting for books in the Fbreader - library - file tree - device folder, which basically let me get at some things but mostly was a grisly listing of all system and hidden file structure and file types on the reader.

Thanks!

Ah but it does have a memory card. 5GB built in one. See this thread here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157502) I made to explain it.

Blossom
11-22-2011, 01:54 AM
How to Sideload Mobi books without Restarting

Install the File Expert app first.

1. Add the mobi books to the Books or Documents folder.

2. Open File Expert and navigate to the folder you just put your books in.

3. Touch a book then hit Choose Applications from the options that pop up.

Note: The first time it will give you a list of apps to pick from. Check Use by default box at the bottom and choose the Kindle app to open the book.

The next time you open a book in File Expert you'll only have to touch Choose Applications and it will auto open with the Kindle app.

4. Do this for each book you've sideloaded. If you sideload via USB the books should appear after you hit disconnect from your PC and there's no need for File Expert but if you use Dropbox or another downloading method. This is the only way I know without having to restart the Fire.

Note: The Kindle app wont open when you touch a book. it opens in the background where you can't see it but it should have worked.

Now go check out the Books or Documents shelves and you will now see the books you've just side loaded appear!

Credit goes to SCION.

obsessed2
11-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Ah but it does have a memory card. 5GB built in one. See this thread here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157502) I made to explain it.

That's a good write up. You are right, I can't believe how generous Amazon was with internal App storage, especially since most Android Apps are fairly small. Some newer Apps are pushing 10MB to 15MB so I guess Amazon was thinking forward. However, more developers are pushing these larger Apps towards external memory so this could be a curse as well. Only time will tell.

Merischino
11-22-2011, 08:34 AM

[snip]

4. Do this for each book you've sideloaded. If you sideload via USB the books should appear after you hit disconnect from your PC and there's no need for File Expert but if you use Dropbox or another downloading method. This is the only way I know without having to restart the Fire.[snip]

I have a bunch of Aristotle philosophy files (all pre-1923, drm-free content) which I converted to .mobi yesterday and sideloaded using the USB/tether method. Interestingly, they will open if navigated to from the Books shelf, but will return a DRM violation error if you attempt to open them in File Expert.

obsessed2
11-22-2011, 09:34 AM

Thanks!

No problem If you like CoolReader and FBReader you may enjoy OverDrive Media Console. It allows you to check out e-books and audio books from many public libraries (library card required). Many school libraries also support OverDrive (e.g. Community Colleges, Universities etc.). I'm able to check out books from my school using my school username and password.

OverdriveMedia Console is Compatible With Kindle Fire: http://www.overdrive.com/resources/drc/

Download here: http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/

FAQs: http://www.overdrive.com/Software/OMC/faq.aspx#question-01

Overdrive Info from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200747550

You may also want to get a reader that can handle DRM (Digital Rights Management) books. Mantano is a good choice. It runs for about $7.50 on Amazon. An older version can be downloaded for free from here:

http://download.pandaapp.com/android-app/mantano-reader1.6.3-id4960.html

This reader can come in handy for books from other sources too like Google, Barnes and Noble etc. I haven't tried a B&N book on the Fire, but on my other tablets the reader prompts you for a username and password when trying to open a DRM book. The username is your name as it appears on the credit card you use with B&N, and the password is the credit card #.

sadievan
11-22-2011, 12:30 PM

Note: The first time it will give you a list of apps to pick from. Check Use by default box at the bottom and choose the Kindle app to open the book.

The next time you open a book in File Expert you'll only have to touch Choose Applications and it will auto open with the Kindle app.

4. Do this for each book you've sideloaded. If you sideload via USB the books should appear after you hit disconnect from your PC and there's no need for File Expert but if you use Dropbox or another downloading method. This is the only way I know without having to restart the Fire.

Note: The Kindle app wont open when you touch a book. it opens in the background where you can't see it but it should have worked.

Now go check out the Books or Documents shelves and you will now see the books you've just side loaded appear!

Credit goes to SCION.

Thanks for posting this. I was able to get a newsfeed from Calibre in mobi format opened this way. Had to save the attachment and then move it with ES File Explorer first. May just email the newsfeeds in epub format in the future. Then I can open in Mantano. Less steps to go through.

I originally tried mailing the newsfeed to mykindle@kindle.com but it gets sent as a doc format I think from Amazon cause the formating isn't right.

But this is a good post for other mobi docs. I saved it for future reference.

Don't know of any other ereader app that will read mobi.

Carol

Blossom
11-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks for posting this. I was able to get a newsfeed from Calibre in mobi format opened this way. Had to save the attachment and then move it with ES File Explorer first. May just email the newsfeeds in epub format in the future. Then I can open in Mantano. Less steps to go through.

I originally tried mailing the newsfeed to mykindle@kindle.com but it gets sent as a doc format I think from Amazon cause the formating isn't right.

But this is a good post for other mobi docs. I saved it for future reference.

Don't know of any other ereader app that will read mobi.

Carol

Yeah it is alot of hoop jumping to get a mobi book to open in the Kindle app. I have sent Amazon feedback via their app on the Fire asking them to fix this.

The Kindle app is the only mobi reader I know of :chinscratch:

Blossom
11-22-2011, 12:55 PM
I have a bunch of Aristotle philosophy files (all pre-1923, drm-free content) which I converted to .mobi yesterday and sideloaded using the USB/tether method. Interestingly, they will open if navigated to from the Books shelf, but will return a DRM violation error if you attempt to open them in File Expert.

If they are showing up in the book shelf there is no need to open them in File Expert. That's only to import them into the books or docs shelves.

Andy_T
11-23-2011, 05:06 AM
Hello, great tips here in this thread!

One (ok, actually two) question I have:

1) Is there some kind of a program that allows you to backup the content of your Kindle Fire on a PC?

Something like ITunes, where I can have all the apps I downloaded from the marketplace but am not currently using saved on the PC, to install them again when needed?

Am not sure how the license policy on Android devices works, so if it is possible to load an bought app to a certain device and backup that app, includng the license?

I am aware that I could do this for amazon-bought content from the "cloud" simply by connecting via wireless, but right now I can not buy any apps from the amazon marketplace as European user.

2) Can I access other marketplaces from my kindle without rooting it?

I am looking at other marketplaces (e.g. Android market) that might allow people outside of the US to buy apps (preferably without rooting the Kindle).

And if I do, is it a big issue if I do root my Kindle?

Best regards,
Andy

Blossom
11-23-2011, 05:27 AM
Hello, great tips here in this thread!

One (ok, actually two) question I have:

1) Is there some kind of a program that allows you to backup the content of your Kindle Fire on a PC?

Something like ITunes, where I can have all the apps I downloaded from the marketplace but am not currently using saved on the PC, to install them again when needed?

Am not sure how the license policy on Android devices works, so if it is possible to load an bought app to a certain device and backup that app, includng the license?

I am aware that I could do this for amazon-bought content from the "cloud" simply by connecting via wireless, but right now I can not buy any apps from the amazon marketplace as European user.

2) Can I access other marketplaces from my kindle without rooting it?

I am looking at other marketplaces (e.g. Android market) that might allow people outside of the US to buy apps (preferably without rooting the Kindle).

And if I do, is it a big issue if I do root my Kindle?

Best regards,
Andy

ES File Explorer will back up your apps into apk files using its apps manager. They are just like setup EXE files well basically they're executable zip files. I back up mine to Dropbox this way.

Without rooting the Fire there is no way to have offical Market access due to it needing google framework installed.

There are other markets you can install. See this thread here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158213)

Amazon apps are the only ones I know with DRM on it. So you can't transfer them without having access to the App Store but I had to side load Mantano which I bought from Amazon but it works just fine on my Fire.

tomsem
11-23-2011, 05:52 PM
It seems you can charge via USB cable (or the same plugged into the AC adapter Kindle eink uses). It might well charge a little more slowly (.85A vs 1.8A), but at least for me this means one less thing to carry around when my Fire goes on the road. The Fire's power brick is too bulky and is not very power strip friendly (tends to deny access to adjacent plugs).

Wish the screen saver showed charging status so you didn't have to go poking around in Settings.

storm9
11-23-2011, 10:44 PM

12) You can LONG press (press and hold) any App, Document, Movie, Music, or any other file in your Shared Folder and select Copy. You can also select Multiple Files and Copy and Paste them all at once to the Fire. Press the little icon in the right hand corner and another set of icons will appear. Press the one with the plus sign to select multiple files. Once all files are selected LONG press one file and Copy.

13) Back in the top left corner press LAN and select Local

14) Select the Local Folder where you want to copy files. You can use an existing folder create a New Folder using the Menu button.

14) You will see a small slide Tab at the bottom of the screen. Slide it up and long press any file and select Paste or Paste All.

15) Your file should now be on the Fire

I successfully accessed the shared files on my computer, but I cannot get them to copy. When I try to paste a copied file into a local folder on the kindle, I get a message that says copy failed. The shared files are on a Mac with OSX 10.7 Lion with SMB sharing enabled. What's the problem?

Merischino
11-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

...and if you're an idiot and set the default to the kindle reader rather than one of the alternate readers... do you know how to clear that default assignment to make a new assignment?

Blossom
11-23-2011, 11:03 PM
...and if you're an idiot and set the default to the kindle reader rather than one of the alternate readers... do you know how to clear that default assignment to make a new assignment?

Yep go to Settings/Applications/All apps/Kindle/ Scroll down and hit Clear Defaults.

Blossom
11-23-2011, 11:05 PM
I successfully accessed the shared files on my computer, but I cannot get them to copy. When I try to paste a copied file into a local folder on the kindle, I get a message that says copy failed. The shared files are on a Mac with OSX 10.7 Lion with SMB sharing enabled. What's the problem?

Not sure but I think you need to set permission on your mac to allow copying of files. :chinscratch: You could give WiFi Explorer Pro a try if that method fails.

I have no clue when it comes to a Mac so it's just a guess. I am a PC gal.

pilotbob
11-24-2011, 12:28 AM
Not sure but I think you need to set permission on your mac to allow copying of files. :chinscratch: You could give WiFi Explorer Pro a try if that method fails.

We won't hold that agin' ya... since you does like dem Kindles. :D

BOb

Blossom
11-24-2011, 12:34 AM
We won't hold that agin' ya... since you does like dem Kindles. :D

BOb

:rofl: Thanks. :rofl:I know how to use Ubuntu. Does that get me any more points?

pilotbob
11-24-2011, 01:18 AM
:rofl: Thanks. :rofl:I know how to use Ubuntu. Does that get me any more points?

A few... it gets points for being an OS X Wanna be. ;)

BOb

storm9
11-24-2011, 02:00 AM

I'm pretty sure the correct permissions are set. All I need is read access to the shared files from the kindle which should be set.

bjones6416
11-24-2011, 06:30 AM
For those of you not familiar with using the MR website on an Android device -- it takes a "long press" on the Karma button to bring up a menu screen that allows you to open a comment box. :) Or at least it does for me...

kennyc
11-24-2011, 06:47 AM
For those of you not familiar with using the MR website on an Android device -- it takes a "long press" on the Karma button to bring up a menu screen that allows you to open a comment box. :) Or at least it does for me...

Oh you're just trying to get people to Karma ya! ;)

:rofl:

and I fell for it. :o

bjones6416
11-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Oh you're just trying to get people to Karma ya! ;)

:rofl:

and I fell for it. :o

I'm sneaky that way. :D

Andy_T
11-24-2011, 07:08 AM
It seems you can charge via USB cable (or the same plugged into the AC adapter Kindle eink uses). It might well charge a little more slowly (.85A vs 1.8A), but at least for me this means one less thing to carry around when my Fire goes on the road. The Fire's power brick is too bulky and is not very power strip friendly (tends to deny access to adjacent plugs).

Wish the screen saver showed charging status so you didn't have to go poking around in Settings.

I use my e-ink kindle charger, seems to work fine. Great little charger, works on my kindle, Ipad, blackberry, nokia phone and likely other devices. Got an additional one ar the 10$ deal and am pretty happy.

Regards,
Andy

robertc88
11-24-2011, 01:19 PM
I've went through the user manual for the KF recently and have a "how to" question. I'm not an owner yet but as you access various apps, books, magazines, etc it puts it in the carousel.

I turned off the KF I was demoing in BB, turned it back on and I was surprised to see what I accessed still in the carousel. If I wanted to keep what I have accessed, I assume making a favorite is what I'd rather want. How do you get these last things you visited off the carousel regardless if you want to keep it as a favorite or not?

Unless I missed it, I didn't see how to do it in the user manual.

Thanks in advance.

jswinden
11-24-2011, 01:53 PM
I've went through the user manual for the KF recently and have a "how to" question. I'm not an owner yet but as you access various apps, books, magazines, etc it puts it in the carousel.

I turned off the KF I was demoing in BB, turned it back on and I was surprised to see what I accessed still in the carousel. If I wanted to keep what I have accessed, I assume making a favorite is what I'd rather want. How do you get these last things you visited off the carousel regardless if you want to keep it as a favorite or not?

Unless I missed it, I didn't see how to do it in the user manual.

Thanks in advance.

You can remove app and web page icons from the Carousel via settings, but the next time you open them they will return. Books are not removable from the Carousel--whatever you have archived will show up. We have complained loudly to Amazon as the carousel is pretty much universally disliked in its present state.

kennyc
11-24-2011, 01:58 PM
You can remove app and web page icons from the Carousel via settings, but the next time you open them they will return. Books are not removable from the Carousel--whatever you have archived will show up. We have complained loudly to Amazon as the carousel is pretty much universally disliked in its present state.

I presume it is based on the Android "recently used" list but in Android that only comes up when you choose it. Since Amazon replaced the home screen this was a way to provide that functionality pretty easily, but yeah, it sucks in it's current form. As does the inability to remove certain app icons.

It would be much better if they had more of an customizable android home screen(s).

kdoc
11-24-2011, 03:23 PM
How do you set a default webpage (NYtimes.com). How do I keep my preferred others so that I can easily get to them, without typing them out?

kdoc

obsessed2
11-24-2011, 03:26 PM
How do you set a default webpage (NYtimes.com). How do I keep my preferred others so that I can easily get to them, without typing them out?

kdoc

While browsing bring up the Options bar and select Menu. You can change your default home page from here. Also, on the Options Bar on the far right is the Bookmarks icon.

robertc88
11-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Not too tidy for how the carousel works with previously viewed material but I wouldn't think it was a deal breaker for many not to buy the KF.

How does one do an orderly exit from a website or playing Angry Birds for instance? Just messing with the unit at BB, I would hit the home key and go to my next destination. In doing so, I figure things would be running in the background from what I am currently doing thus hurting battery power.

obsessed2
11-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Not too tidy for how the carousel works with previously viewed material but I wouldn't think it was a deal breaker for many not to buy the KF.

How does one do an orderly exit from a website or playing Angry Birds for instance? Just messing with the unit at BB, I would hit the home key and go to my next destination. In doing so, I figure things would be running in the background from what I am currently doing thus hurting battery power.

Most Apps do not run in the background. Returning to the Home Screen puts most Apps into sort of a hibernation mode. Apps are stored in memory so when you launch them again they return to where they were when you exited them. No CPU power is used by Apps once you return to the Home Screen, unless of course they were designed to (e.g. system utilities etc. and then you won't find many of these that do).

Blossom
11-24-2011, 03:56 PM

Use the back button it works as the exit button. Hitting home will leave some programs running like Mantano or File Expert.

kdoc
11-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Re a Home Page: where exactly is "Menu" When I hit that little stripped rectangular icon on the bottom of the browser, I get Add bookmark, share, fine in page, history, downloads and settings. Where is Menu. Also, concerning Bookmarks, let's say I bookmark nytimes.com: will I be brought back with a bookmark to the same day and time on NYTimes, or will I be brought to the date and time I was on when I bookmarked it?

MarkY
11-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Re a Home Page: where exactly is "Menu" When I hit that little stripped rectangular icon on the bottom of the browser, I get Add bookmark, share, fine in page, history, downloads and settings. Where is Menu. Also, concerning Bookmarks, let's say I bookmark nytimes.com: will I be brought back with a bookmark to the same day and time on NYTimes, or will I be brought to the date and time I was on when I bookmarked it?

When you hit that little striped rectangular icon, that is the MENU button. What options you get when you select this icon is based on what application you are running. The bookmark icon next to the menu icon will allow you to manage bookmarks.

Regarding your NYTimes question, that would depend on how the NYTimes web developer coded the application. It does NOT depend on the browser. My educated guess is that it will return to the exact page you bookmarked, depending on the page. Some developers will use a date stamp for certain pages. Such as a page called "Today's News".

Hope this helps.

kdoc
11-24-2011, 06:03 PM
OK, I"ve bookmarked NYtimes.com. We'll see tomorrow which day pops up. I suspect it will be tomorrows. As for a home page, I still don't see where you set it--I see nothing about a home page

kdoc

jswinden
11-24-2011, 06:27 PM
OK, I"ve bookmarked NYtimes.com. We'll see tomorrow which day pops up. I suspect it will be tomorrows. As for a home page, I still don't see where you set it--I see nothing about a home page

kdoc

I couldn't find the setting for Home page either. I wonder if he was talking about a browser other than Silk? I would also like to set up my Home pages for Silk and Opera.

obsessed2
11-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Use the back button it works as the exit button. Hitting home will leave some programs running like Mantano or File Expert.

When you hit the back button in some Android Apps (not all of them) tell you it is exiting, but in reality it really doesn't seem like it matters. Or at least that I can tell anyway. When you hit Home the App isn't really running in the background either, it is more like it is minimized (suspended) without any CPU usage.

I'm not too sure what the real difference is supposed to be between these two functions because you can use an App called Quick System Info Pro (free from Amazon) and were to look at the Processes tab you would see that the CPU use is 0 % whether you hit the back button or Home. If you check Quick Info Pro the CPU usage is 0% and the memory usage is exactly the same using either method. The only thing that seems to differentiate them is that when you use Home and then open the App again it goes back to where it was when you hit Home. This has always been a real head scratcher for me. :chinscratch:

obsessed2
11-24-2011, 07:05 PM
I couldn't find the setting for Home page either. I wonder if he was talking about a browser other than Silk? I would also like to set up my Home pages for Silk and Opera.

I may have been mistaken. I really don't use the Stock browser so I assumed that choosing Settings would give you an option to change the Home page. I'm surprised to hear there isn't one. My apologies. :tdown: As far as Opera Mini, I think you are stuck with the tiled home page. I wish there were a way to change it also.

kdoc
11-25-2011, 12:17 AM
OK, then tell me, since several people have added Opera Mini, WHY? Is it better, faster, or what compared to Silk?

kdoc

Blossom
11-25-2011, 12:26 AM
OK, then tell me, since several people have added Opera Mini, WHY? Is it better, faster, or what compared to Silk?

kdoc

Opera Mobile is better then Opera Mini. It has pinch to zoom, ability download files in formats that Silk wont. I wont say it's better but it's a great additional browser that will do things Silk wont.

jswinden
11-25-2011, 01:32 AM
I still use Silk mostly, but one thing I like about Opera Mobile is that it can open some websites like a desktop browser rather than opening the mobile site. CNN.com is one example where Silk always opens a mobile version but OM doesn't.

kdoc
11-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Why when I try and download Opera Mobile do i get a message saying it's not available for my type of tablet?

kdoc

jswinden
11-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Why when I try and download Opera Mobile do i get a message saying it's not available for my type of tablet?

kdoc

I'm not sure because it does work on the KF. I downloaded it to my computer then copied it to my KF and installed it that way.

kdoc
11-25-2011, 02:10 PM
When you go through your computer to download it onto the computer, to where on the Fire do you copy it--which folder. And are there any particular steps one takes in installing something that way?

kdoc

jswinden
11-25-2011, 02:20 PM
When you go through your computer to download it onto the computer, to where on the Fire do you copy it--which folder. And are there any particular steps one takes in installing something that way?

kdoc

Here is a explanation of how to sideload (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1834323&postcount=11)in this manner. You can copy the apk file into any folder or place it on the root. After installation, you can delete the apk file if you want.

kdoc
11-25-2011, 03:17 PM
OK, thanks; I've got it installed. Now I'm still trying some workaround so I can have a home page. I've set the SpeedKey part--and that works. But what about bookmarks: how do I set them in opera, and how do I quickly retrieve them in both Silk and Opera.

kdoc

jswinden
11-25-2011, 03:51 PM
OK, thanks; I've got it installed. Now I'm still trying some workaround so I can have a home page. I've set the SpeedKey part--and that works. But what about bookmarks: how do I set them in opera, and how do I quickly retrieve them in both Silk and Opera.

kdoc

In Opera press on the red O at the upper-left of the screen to display the menu buttons. Press the Bookmarks button to display the Bookmarks popup. From there you can select a bookmark, manage bookmarks, or create a bookmark by pressing the + button at the top of the popup.

In silk press the Bookmark icon (just to right of Menu icon in the Option bar).

robertc88
11-25-2011, 05:01 PM

I'm armed with the KF now as I bought it this morning. :)

This forum has made things much easier and I also went through the user guide. I'm glad I've spent the time so as not to get frustrated with the device right off the bat! :)

Chalk me up to the list of not liking the carousel as well. The more I do, the more that gets stored there. A webpage I last visited, video (the Netflix icon and a Blue Collar TV show icon from accessing this via Amazon's instant video), books, Angry Birds, etc.

I went to settings but I don't see where to close down app and web page icons. I didn't want to force close some things because it gave me a warning which I heeded. Better safe than sorry so I'm back here for info trying to make the carousel a bit more orderly with less clutter! :)

jswinden
11-25-2011, 05:12 PM
I'm armed with the KF now as I bought it this morning. :)

This forum has made things much easier and I also went through the user guide. I'm glad I've spent the time so as not to get frustrated with the device right off the bat! :)

Chalk me up to the list of not liking the carousel as well. The more I do, the more that gets stored there. A webpage I last visited, video (the Netflix icon and a Blue Collar TV show icon from accessing this via Amazon's instant video), books, Angry Birds, etc.

I went to settings but I don't see where to close down app and web page icons. I didn't want to force close some things because it gave me a warning which I heeded. Better safe than sorry so I'm back here for info trying to make the carousel a bit more orderly with less clutter! :)

Here is a link to how to clean up the Carousel (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157681)a bit.

robertc88
11-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Here is a link to how to clean up the Carousel (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157681)a bit.

Like Scion said, IT WORKS!!

I'm going to jot down how to do it until it becomes second nature but this really helps the carousel hot button issue I have with the device. I really don't mind doing the procedure before I power down the device each night.

Nothing is left now except the user manual and the books on the carousel currently.

Thanks alot!!

MikeGolf
11-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Be careful, I did the web steps and lost all of my current bookmarks in Silk.

Just a word of caution

obsessed2
11-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Be careful, I did the web steps and lost all of my current bookmarks in Silk.

Just a word of caution

Even clearing App Data may have some unintended consequences depending on the App (e.g. loss of files, settings, accounts, databases and so on). For example if you Clear Data in Documents to Go the next time you launch it you will be greeted by the registration screen, and Recent Files will be blank. Of course for most Apps this really doesn't matter. Unfortunately, until Amazon releases a software update to better address this issue this is what we are stuck with.

robertc88
11-26-2011, 06:19 PM
How do I take advantage of the one month free Prime Membership? Do I have to sign-up somewhere?

By the way, so far so good with what I've been trying with the KF. I think it is growing on me already and I've only owned it since yesterday.

Blossom
11-26-2011, 06:36 PM
How do I take advantage of the one month free Prime Membership? Do I have to sign-up somewhere?

By the way, so far so good with what I've been trying with the KF. I think it is growing on me already and I've only owned it since yesterday.

Go here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/ref=amb_link_84306931_4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=83520630204A4EC4B37C&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1294973662&pf_rd_i=prime)

I am so enjoying my free trial that came with my Kindle Fire!

So far I have bought the Harry Potter DVD Set and 10 other DVDs and a few books and haven't had to pay shipping once. You get free standard or two day shipping with Prime. It's great! The movies are okay but the shipping part of Prime is perfect for this time of the year! :D

kdoc
11-26-2011, 08:38 PM
He/she asked a good question: do we sign up for Prime or is it automatic for the first month?

kdoc

Blossom
11-26-2011, 09:23 PM
He/she asked a good question: do we sign up for Prime or is it automatic for the first month?

kdoc

When you register your Fire the trial started.

Non Fire users have to sign up for one but it's automatic with the Kindle Fire.

robertc88
11-26-2011, 10:10 PM
When you register your Fire the trial started.

Non Fire users have to sign up for one but it's automatic with the Kindle Fire.

I don't seem to remember when I registered that it said anything about the free one month membership but maybe I was so interested in getting started with the device that I just missed it.

I understand streaming is free, right? If so, that is what I'll try first. As far as getting free shipping, I don't know how much I'll be buying in the next month. But with the holidays approaching, I may be inclined to purchase through Amazon instead of elsewhere.

And I am a "he". :)

Kai Winters
11-26-2011, 11:38 PM
When I registered my Fire I saw that Amazon gave 30 days, from date of Fire purchase, of Prime.
I used it today and did not do a thing. When making my purchase it showed the Prime free shipping automatically.
Easy peasy and saved a few bucks...woohoo...

Blossom
11-27-2011, 12:02 AM
I don't seem to remember when I registered that it said anything about the free one month membership but maybe I was so interested in getting started with the device that I just missed it.

I understand streaming is free, right? If so, that is what I'll try first. As far as getting free shipping, I don't know how much I'll be buying in the next month. But with the holidays approaching, I may be inclined to purchase through Amazon instead of elsewhere.

And I am a "he". :)

It never said anything to me about the trial. It's just I visit the site daily and I noticed the Amazon logo now said Amazon Prime on it. That's when I knew it was activated automatically.

When I went into my account there was a manage Prime membership option and it said it started 16th which is the day I activated my Fire.

I thought I wouldn't use it much. I played with the free streaming Videos on the Fire and loaned the one book I was entitled to but when Black Friday came! I went hog wild! I mean $5 DVDs on popular movies with no tax and two day shipping free. I couldn't resist them for hubby. :rofl:

tkdjr1186
11-27-2011, 12:44 AM
ok so i have wi fi file explorer pro downloaded. How do i get my books on my computer onto my kindle without using USB, what folder do they go in?

robertc88
11-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Go here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/ref=amb_link_84306931_4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=83520630204A4EC4B37C&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1294973662&pf_rd_i=prime)

I am so enjoying my free trial that came with my Kindle Fire!

So far I have bought the Harry Potter DVD Set and 10 other DVDs and a few books and haven't had to pay shipping once. You get free standard or two day shipping with Prime. It's great! The movies are okay but the shipping part of Prime is perfect for this time of the year! :D

I went to the link you provided and sure enough it shows me as trial member and the expiration date.

Tomorrow is cyberspace Monday. Woe is me and my wallet.

Thank you (I think). :)

ectoplasm
11-27-2011, 12:39 PM
It never said anything to me about the trial. It's just I visit the site daily and I noticed the Amazon logo now said Amazon Prime on it. That's when I knew it was activated automatically..
I've had prime for years. I tried to get off it last year and only lasted a month or so before joining again.

Watch out for the automatic renewal. There is a "manage prime membership" button under your account. In there you can choose whether you want automatic renewal. I believe it's always ON by default.

TechnoCat
11-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Prime is addictive. I've had it for many years. It's also fascinating because in many cases the Amazon price isn't really very good but factor in Prime shipping and One-Click convenience and it beats saving, say, $3 by shopping around.

deannah
11-27-2011, 02:07 PM
I've scanned this thread and didn't see this mentioned, so apologize if I'm repeating. Just something I've noticed on my KF that when charging the battery the light turns green before it is actually fully charged. I've checked and it has only been charged to 90% or thereabouts. Just something to keep in mind. I just keep charging it for another 30 minutes or so to get a full charge.

SCION
11-27-2011, 02:35 PM
I've scanned this thread and didn't see this mentioned, so apologize if I'm repeating. Just something I've noticed on my KF that when charging the battery the light turns green before it is actually fully charged. I've checked and it has only been charged to 90% or thereabouts. Just something to keep in mind. I just keep charging it for another 30 minutes or so to get a full charge.

Certainly worth mentioning again. No problem. Initially I would unplug it when given the green, but now I check first. Often it hasn't topped off yet.

Blossom
11-27-2011, 03:33 PM

I always charge mine at bedtime so when I get up it's at 100% :)
If I don't use the Fire it doesn't use any battery if I leave WiFi off
So I only charge mine every other day and have gone 3 days without charging before. This one of the best batteries I have ever seen on a device. :D

Blossom
11-27-2011, 03:34 PM
I've had prime for years. I tried to get off it last year and only lasted a month or so before joining again.

Watch out for the automatic renewal. There is a "manage prime membership" button under your account. In there you can choose whether you want automatic renewal. I believe it's always ON by default.

There is no auto renewal with the trial. It says that when you visit your MYPM page. :)

jswinden
11-27-2011, 04:06 PM

I've noticed that my Android phone can quickly charge up to 90% but then takes a long time to complete the final 10%. I wonder if the Fire is similar? I generally charge my fire and phone overnight like @Blossom.

jswinden
11-27-2011, 04:12 PM
There is no auto renewal with the trial. It says that when you visit your MYPM page. :)

Mine shows that it expires on Dec 1 and below that is a button labeled Do Not Upgrade. But I signed up for the trial Prime two weeks before I got my Fire, so that might be why it is a bit different. I think mine will automatically switch to a Prime account if I don't press the Do Not Upgrade button, at least I seem to remember something like that in the email I got after signing up for the trial.

Blossom
11-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Mine shows that it expires on Dec 1 and below that is a button labeled Do Not Upgrade. But I signed up for the trial Prime two weeks before I got my Fire, so that might be why it is a bit different. I think mine will automatically switch to a Prime account if I don't press the Do Not Upgrade button, at least I seem to remember something like that in the email I got after signing up for the trial.

Correct it's only those who got the trial through their Fire not signing up through the website.

sadievan
11-27-2011, 11:31 PM

I just checked mine. There isn't anything to click to continue with Prime. It just says the date my free trial will expire.

I'm guessing that as the date gets closer they will send out emails offering you to extend your membership.

Carol

kdoc
11-28-2011, 01:37 AM
Do you usually leave the Fire on Sleep? Or on total close down? Sleep + WIFI off uses little battery, I think. When do you use total off and when sleep?

kdoc

Blossom
11-28-2011, 01:43 AM
Do you usually leave the Fire on Sleep? Or on total close down? Sleep + WIFI off uses little battery, I think. When do you use total off and when sleep?

kdoc

I just put it to sleep with WiFi off no need to power off except every few days like a PC it does need to restarted now and then.

sadievan
11-28-2011, 11:13 AM

kdoc

I just use Sleep with WiFi off. Occasionally I will shut down and power back up. Sometimes I will shut down and power back up if I've installed a few apps also.

Carol

Merischino
11-28-2011, 01:05 PM
This is a little thing but for me it has turned out to be somethign I use often.

When you are typing on your KF, the autocorrect usually does a hazardous word change on almost everything I type. At first, I was having to delete and re-type seemingly every other word. Then, I discovered this.

If you just type your whole message as if autocorrect isn't doing anything, then go back and just touch on each word that is now wrong (e.g., the ubiquitous "nonlinear" substitution when I typed in "online"), KF will select the word and present a list of all the suggestions/alternatives to that, wherein your intended word choice can be found.

It's ever so much faster to click-click to correct your letters than to type, delete, retype. Just thought if you hadn't caught this correction feature you might want to know about it. If you are already in the habit of proofreading your work this is a nominal addition to your proofreading process.

Blossom
11-28-2011, 01:18 PM
This is a little thing but for me it has turned out to be somethign I use often.

When you are typing on your KF, the autocorrect usually does a hazardous word change on almost everything I type. At first, I was having to delete and re-type seemingly every other word. Then, I discovered this.

If you just type your whole message as if autocorrect isn't doing anything, then go back and just touch on each word that is now wrong (e.g., the ubiquitous "nonlinear" substitution when I typed in "online"), KF will select the word and present a list of all the suggestions/alternatives to that, wherein your intended word choice can be found.

It's ever so much faster to click-click to correct your letters than to type, delete, retype. Just thought if you hadn't caught this correction feature you might want to know about it. If you are already in the habit of proofreading your work this is a nominal addition to your proofreading process.

:eek: :thanks:

jswinden
11-28-2011, 01:33 PM

It does present a line of possible words as you are typing and you can select one if it is appropriate. It does beat the heck out of the iOS autocorrect that seems very dysfunctional and often cannot correctly guess your word until there is only one character left to type.

rahulfonseca
11-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Folks, Just got a new Kindle and have a question... I have a host of magazines in pdf format and have the following two questions:

1. How can I get them to show them in the 'Books' section ?
2. The pdf's are currently shown in the 'Docs' section but it does not display the cover page for the icons ?

Any help would be really appreciated
R

jswinden
11-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Folks, Just got a new Kindle and have a question... I have a host of magazines in pdf format and have the following two questions:

1. How can I get them to show them in the 'Books' section ?
2. The pdf's are currently shown in the 'Docs' section but it does not display the cover page for the icons ?

Any help would be really appreciated
R

Sideloaded PDFs will only show up in the Docs section, as far as I know. None of my sideloaded PDFs show a cover, just a white icon with the file name. I don't know if any of them actually have covers though.

solidunit
11-28-2011, 02:55 PM
I've searched and I couldn't find this info;

If I want to use the content server feature to download news periodicals on to my Kindle Fire, whats the procedure to get them to show up in the Newsstand app ? Opening the mobi file in the Kindle app through File Expert doesn't seem to do anything.

jimad
11-28-2011, 03:33 PM
... 2. Free ebook web pages, e.g., Project Gutenberg: downloading a kindle .mobi version of Grimm's Fairytales is one example, downloads tab shows the dl as complete, but it is unable to open the file. Navigating to a file-launching program and attempting to open it that way (es file manager, downloads folder, open as text with quickoffice pro) only achieves gobbledygook. opening as an image, video, or audio file likewise does not work...

...If anyone knows a tip or trick to get (DRM free) books onto the kindle Fire without having the not supplied micro usb cord, please let me know!

I will post how to do epubs later, but for now, dealing with free mobi files, such as from gutenberg.org, the issue is that the KFire browser downloads files to a directory \Download but the KFire mobi browser looks for them in say \Documents (for your personal ebook "Documents")

So, in general the process is:

On your KFire, use the web browser to go to (say) a mobi file on gutenberg.org. Click on that and say Download [if you have multiple mobi reader apps on your KFire choose the one that says "a Browser" to get the default browser download behavior]

Soon the upper left corner should say "Download Complete"

Now you need an android file browser -- Amazon included one for free but they aren't telling you about it.

Go to Home/Apps, then click on Quickoffice

Select Browse

Select Internal Storage (if you haven't used Quickoffice before, otherwise navigate to this location)

Click on Download

check the checkbox on the right hand margin for your downloaded file, then click on the little scissors symbol at the bottom to "Cut" your ebook file or the two white clipboards symbol to "Copy"

click on the left arrow to navigate up one level

click on Documents

click on the onewhite/onegrey little clipboards symbol to "Paste" your file.

Now your file is in the correct location -- but the Kindle mobi browser doesn't know its there. The only way I know to refresh this is to powerdown your KFire by holding the off button for about one second -- pushing off more briefly simply puts KFire into sleep mode. So, hold one second to turn it off now -- it will ask and you say "Shut Down"

Now push power again to reboot KFire.

Once rebooted go to Docs and your new book should be there.

Also, in the Docs folder you may see instructions on how to email docs to your KFire if you want to send free books to yourself via KFire email from your laptop or desktop computer -- its free since KFire connects by wifi -- Amazon only charges to send email via 3G.

jimad
11-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Reading EPUB books on KFire:

(With apologies to androidees who are experts and this all "obvious" -- android and working around the KFire limitations is all new to me)

I'm having pretty good luck "sideloading" various android-compatible epub reader apps onto Kindle Fire. This is useful, for example, if one wants a single hand-head ereader device to "check out" the successfulness of how one's ebook creation efforts are going -- in both mobi and epub file format. You can also obviously check out an html "ebook" version using the Kindle Fire's web browser. This is useful, for example, when smooth reading an html ebook one is working on for submissions to gutenberg.org

Sideloading is described at:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/11/kindle-fire-sideload/

A collection of common android epub reader apps in the needed APK format is available at:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2010/11/22/android-reading-apps-review-and-apk-installation-pack/

A more recent version of FBReader is available at:

http://www.fbreader.org/FBReaderJ

-- get the Android 1.6-2.* devices version

Personally I'm getting the most satisfaction out of Aldiko. [The goofy scratchmarks in the background "paper" of Aldiko can be removed via Settings.] One can import epubs placed in the location:

X:\eBooks\import

where "X:" is the location of the Kindle Fire when attached to your computer using a USB cable. For example "X:" is actually file location "J:" on my computer because locations D: through I: are used for various camera SD card reader thingees. In general when you hear androidees talking about the "sdcard" location that location corresponds to "X:" when the KFire is attached to your computer. So when they say:

sdcard/eBooks/import

that corresponds to:

when attached to a Mickeysoft computer. The final trick is figuring out at what directory locations each of these ebook reader apps expects to "import" epub ebooks from -- each seems to expect a different directory. B&N gets it from X:\Nook\MyDocuments and the "refresh" tiny button in the upper right hand corner of the "nook library" page causes B&N to check to see if there are any new books at that location -- but I think I can only get the "refresh" button to actually work when one is on the page "My Files/Books" and then after refreshing I go back to "My Files" and the new book appears. One can move ebook files around on KFire either using your computer file browser when tethered by USB, or by using the KFire's included Quickoffice app's File Manager/Internal Storage -- the scissors symbol "cuts" a selected file and the clipboard symbol "pastes" that file.

(Also pretty happy with B&N Nook Reader for Android, available as an APK at various places on the internet.)

Overdrive for Android also installs successfully allowing one to download and read epubs checked out from your local public library [but don't try to read them from the Overdrive EPUB browser itself, which stinks, I use B&N instead] and nowadays one can also borrow mobis via an Amazon Store route from your local public library. Often libraries only have a particular book in mobi, epub, (or pdf) format so its helpful to have routes for all of the above.

None of this requires "rooting" so in theory it shouldn't be making Amazon unhappy with you.

Let me know if you need any more help getting this to work for you. Don't you wish you just had one device that would just let you buy, borrow, sell, and read whatever you want from wherever your want without all this silly vendor-specific rigermarole???

jimad
11-28-2011, 06:27 PM
MagicCatalog on Kindle Fire:

It may not be "obvious" when watching the resulting behavior but MagicCatalog "works" in mobi mode on Kindle Fire. I haven't had luck getting the epub version to work on B&N nor Aldiko.

MagicCatalog, for those who don't know, is a "Hot Links" catalog written as a mobi file so it looks like a "book" to your Kindle -- but it is a "Book of Books" where you can read through it -- its just a list of Title/Author links -- you click on a Title/Author link in MagicCatalog and "magic" that book is downloaded automagically to your Kindle Fire from Project Gutenberg. Except on Kindle Fire the book is automagically downloaded by web browser default to the "Download" directory like always instead of the more useful "Documents" directory, so then one needs to use a file browser such as Quickoffice to move the downloaded books from the "Download" directory to the "Documents" directory as described in previous postings. As always if you have multiple mobi browsers on your machine then you need to pick the "a Browser" choice during download to get the default Kindle web browser download behavior. Also, for some unknown reason Kindle Fire vectors its display to the previously displayed web browser display while it is doing so -- you can go back to the previous page in MagicCatalog via Home/Carousel/Magic Catalog.

Find MagicCatalog at: http://freekindlebooks.org/MagicCatalog/magiccatalog.html

Still, it is fun just to read through a list of book titles "At Random" and say "hm, those three look interesting, let me grab them."

Blossom
11-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Now your file is in the correct location -- but the Kindle mobi browser doesn't know its there. The only way I know to refresh this is to powerdown your KFire by holding the off button for about one second -- pushing off more briefly simply puts KFire into sleep mode. So, hold one second to turn it off now -- it will ask and you say "Shut Down"

Now push power again to reboot KFire.

Once rebooted go to Docs and your new book should be there.

Also, in the Docs folder you may see instructions on how to email docs to your KFire if you want to send free books to yourself via KFire email from your laptop or desktop computer -- its free since KFire connects by wifi -- Amazon only charges to send email via 3G.

If you use File Expert (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1843847&postcount=133) there is no need to reboot. Just open the Mobi book up using the Kindle app in File Expert and it will appear on the shelf. :)

Oh you don't even need to use USB you can use ES File Explorer's LAN Feature (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1835526&postcount=35) or WiFi Explorer Pro (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1838445&postcount=69)which is 99 cents in the app store. It let's you browse your Fire via your PC's Browser and move/copy/upload files.

Mantano in my opinion is the best epub reader app. I had Nook installed and it's okay too. You can get Mantano's free version at SlideME (http://slideme.org/) market. They also have the paid version too you can buy.

SistahGolden
11-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Mantano in my opinion is the best epub reader app. I had Nook installed and it's okay too. You can get Mantano's free version at SlideME (http://slideme.org/) market. They also have the paid version too you can buy.

And, thanks for the recommendation on Mantano. KFire is my first droid device, and I hadn't a clue on a good reader app. This one is just beautiful, and I haven't even barely used it yet!

Blossom
11-28-2011, 09:21 PM
And, thanks for the recommendation on Mantano. KFire is my first droid device, and I hadn't a clue on a good reader app. This one is just beautiful, and I haven't even barely used it yet!

:D If you need help there is a Mantano (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131997) thread in the Android section of the this forum. I use it as my default reading app.

Merischino
11-28-2011, 11:02 PM
<snip>

Thank you for taking the time to write out that procedure. The real nugget in your post, though, was the fact that its fee-free to email books to your kindle fire. Will have to tell my brother that... big learning! Thank you!

Merischino
11-28-2011, 11:27 PM
MagicCatalog on Kindle Fire:

<snip>

Find MagicCatalog at: http://freekindlebooks.org/MagicCatalog/magiccatalog.html

awesome, thanks!

obsessed2
11-29-2011, 07:52 AM
The real nugget in your post, though, was the fact that its fee-free to email books to your kindle fire. Will have to tell my brother that... big learning! Thank you!

I'm still a little fuzzy on this because this is the first Kindle I have owned.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200375630

From the Amazon website: If you would like to transfer your personal documents to your Kindle for free, you can send attachments to "name"@free.kindle.com to be converted and e-mailed to your computer at the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.com account log-in. You can then transfer the document to your Kindle using your USB connection.

Also this: Kindle (U.S. Wireless) user: We'll send personal documents to your Kindle via Whispernet while inside the U.S. wireless coverage area for a fee of $.15 per megabyte.

Not that this is large amount of money but, I'm confused? It looks like the service is free when you download and transfer content via USB, but costs you if you Whispersnet it over the Internet.

Can anyone shed more light on this? Thanks.

Andy_T
11-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Well, wireless/"Whispernet" in that case means a 3G connection.
So it is not over the internet or WiFi, but via the mobile phone network for which Amazon pays the costs on the 3G devices, as long as you download books only.

Best regards,
Andy

obsessed2
11-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Well, wireless/"Whispernet" in that case means a 3G connection.
So it is not over the internet or WiFi, but via the mobile phone network for which Amazon pays the costs on the 3G devices, as long as you download books only.

Best regards,
Andy

Thanks. I see that now. The fee is if you send Personal Documents (DOC, PDF, JPEG etc.) to your Kindle address instead of MOBI and then transfer those wireless. It is free to send Personal Documents to your KF address and download via PC.

jswinden
11-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Since the KF doesn't have a 3G phone there is never any charges for Whispernet sending of documents. I've been Whispernetting docs to my K3, K4, and KF and have never had any charges because they are all three WiFi only. In all the years I've owned Kindles, I've only been charged once for Whispernetting via 3G, and that was $0.15 way back in 2009 when I had a K3 with 3G. Amazon clearly stated we would be charged but they rarely did charge us.

obsessed2
11-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Since the KF doesn't have a 3G phone there is never any charges for Whispernet sending of documents. I've been Whispernetting docs to my K3, K4, and KF and have never had any charges because they are all three WiFi only. In all the years I've owned Kindles, I've only been charged once for Whispernetting via 3G, and that was $0.15 way back in 2009 when I had a K3 with 3G. Amazon clearly stated we would be charged but they rarely did charge us.

OK, thanks. Like I said, I have never owned a Kindle and from what I was reading on their site it says there is a fee attached. However, I respect your experience and I'll take a leap of faith and see what happens. At least I know where I can find you to get my 15 cents back. :rofl:

sadievan
11-29-2011, 10:45 AM
There used to be a spot on your account page to set a limit of charges you would allow for transferring files. If you set that limit to $0.00 the files would always be sent over WiFi. I don't see this anymore on my account page, but that may be because I don't have a 3G Kindle.

Carol

Blossom
11-29-2011, 10:50 AM
There used to be a spot on your account page to set a limit of charges you would allow for transferring files. If you set that limit to $0.00 the files would always be sent over WiFi. I don't see this anymore on my account page, but that may be because I don't have a 3G Kindle.

Carol

I do have one and have this set $0. If you have WiFi they will not charge you for any downloading. So email away to your Fire but keep in mind it will show in Docs not Books anything you send that way. You also wont be able to sync.

On a real Kindle you have Personal Documents Cloud which is a great feature the Fire needs.

sadievan
11-29-2011, 10:57 AM
I do have one and have this set $0. If you have WiFi they will not charge you for any downloading. So email away to your Fire but keep in mind it will show in Docs not Books anything you send that way. You also wont be able to sync.

On a real Kindle you have Personal Documents Cloud which is a great feature the Fire needs.

I figured the reason it didn't show up anymore on my account cause I only have WiFi Kindles so sending files would be free for me anyway.

Agreed, I wish they would extend the cloud to the Fire.

Carol

kdoc
11-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Jimad: thanks for the help in transferring free ebooks via guttenberg, etc. I find that at times the Paste symbol doesn't show up, and at other times it does. It's much easier, if you have the facilities, to attach to a computer and handle all of this that way!. Much much easier.

Kdoc

jswinden
11-29-2011, 09:48 PM
WTFire!!!! I turned off Keyboard Quick Fixes and the damn keyboard still insists on correcting my spelling. How do you turn that GD @#$% off? It takes me 5 times longer to correct the autocorrect than it would to just type in an unabused manner!

Blossom
11-30-2011, 12:22 AM
WTFire!!!! I turned off Keyboard Quick Fixes and the damn keyboard still insists on correcting my spelling. How do you turn that GD @#$% off? It takes me 5 times longer to correct the autocorrect than it would to just type in an unabused manner!

Maybe you have to restart afterwards for it to take effect.

jswinden
11-30-2011, 01:46 AM
Maybe you have to restart afterwards for it to take effect.

I did, several times. In another thread I typed "I lucked out" and the stupid autocorrect changed it to "I plucked out." I'm not real sure what that means, but I'm fairly sure it is not what I did!

Blossom
11-30-2011, 01:55 AM
I did, several times. In another thread I typed "I lucked out" and the stupid autocorrect changed it to "I plucked out." I'm not real sure what that means, but I'm fairly sure it is not what I did!

:chinscratch: I typed what you did and it changed nothing. :chinscratch: Could it be app specific?

If it auto corrects a word hit the delete key to go back one space and it will change back and when you space again it wont correct it.

jswinden
11-30-2011, 02:17 AM
:chinscratch: I typed what you did and it changed nothing. :chinscratch: Could it be app specific?

If it auto corrects a word hit the delete key to go back one space and it will change back and when you space again it wont correct it.

I'm using Silk and typing in this forum. If I catch the typo no problem, but when I don't catch it until later it takes a while to correct.

lear2003
12-01-2011, 04:48 AM
[QUOTE=jswinden;1834323]How to Sideload Apps:

how can i access apk files if i don't have access to the amazon app store to download explorer? is there any other way you are aware of, thanks.

Blossom
12-01-2011, 05:11 AM
how can i access apk files if i don't have access to the amazon app store to download explorer? is there any other way you are aware of, thanks.

There sure is! See this thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158213) for places to download apps from other markets.

Here's ES File Explorer (http://www.1mobile.com/es-file-explorer-70957.html)

You can use Quick Office which comes preinstalled as your File Explorer to install your program. Open it and go to Browse, Then hit Internal Memory and you will see your Fire's file listings. Navigate to the folder your apk is in then long press on the apk file and choose open.

lear2003
12-01-2011, 06:19 AM
There sure is! See this thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158213) for places to download apps from other markets.

Here's ES File Explorer (http://www.1mobile.com/es-file-explorer-70957.html)

You can use Quick Office which comes preinstalled as your File Explorer to install your program. Open it and go to Browse, Then hit Internal Memory and you will see your Fire's file listings. Navigate to the folder your apk is in then long press on the apk file and choose open.

there is no open option just select but it does not show up anywhere when selected, thank you for your help.

Blossom
12-01-2011, 07:00 AM
there is no open option just select but it does not show up anywhere when selected, thank you for your help.

Tap lightly on it instead and it will install the apk for you.

The open menu is another app. I got it confused. I have too many apps installed.

robertc88
12-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Where can I get the apk file to load the android market?

Edit: I'm not planning on rooting the KF. If that is the only way, then I'm outta luck! :)

Xeddicus
12-02-2011, 01:58 AM
Rooting is the only way to get the market, so you're out of luck. Rooting is safer/easier than getting the market running, though.

Oldpilot
12-02-2011, 09:10 AM
3. Emailed titles sent to your account "kindle"@kindle.com where the part in quotes is whatever you named your kindle. 2 out of 10 titles I emailed to my kindle showed up in my personal documents, and those only when I went into the amazon web account management page and found them pending and, in addition to having set up the accepted sender email id, also approved them for whispersyncing down to the kindle. This is essentially a 3 stage process after you do it the first time (which is a 5 stage process because you have to pre-identify the email address you will be sending books from, as well as identify the kindle email address you will be sending books to). All in all, this process is less than desirable to me, and that is even not counting the fact that Amazon charges $0.10 per title you email to yourself using this method.

I use the @kindle.com address regularly to check out my books before I publish them on the KDP. By default the book (in the form of a double-zipped file of the html and images) goes to my e-ink Kindle, which is wi-fi. There is no charge. If I want to view it on the Fire, I go to Manage Your Kindle on Amazon and direct it there. I suppose I could make the Fire the default, but it seems more important to me to know how the book looks on an e-ink screen, since there are many more of them.

obsessed2
12-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Transferring bigger files to your Fire may best done using a USB cable. However, before you rush out and buy a USB cable, check your old phone chargers or even your newer one. Many of these chargers have a detachable USB cable that might possibly work with the Fire. The charger from my son's old LG enV3 phone (LG Model # STA-U12WD) is one example where the USB cable detaches from the charger and fits the Fire perfectly. Beside transferring data, the cable can also be used to charge the Fire when connected to a laptop. This is convenient for students like my son who usually carries both devices to school.

jimad
12-02-2011, 06:29 PM
If you use File Expert (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1843847&postcount=133) there is no need to reboot. Just open the Mobi book up using the Kindle app in File Expert and it will appear on the shelf. :)

Sorry, but I can't get this to work. I download a .mobi file from the internet using the Silk Browser, book ends up in Download directory. I open File Expert, nav to Download, and click on that .mobi file. It says Open As/More/Amazon Kindle.
I pick that choice. Nothing ever happens, as far as I can tell. Can you give more exact details about how exactly this is suppose to work?

SCION
12-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Sorry, but I can't get this to work. I download a .mobi file from the internet using the Silk Browser, book ends up in Download directory. I open File Expert, nav to Download, and click on that .mobi file. It says Open As/More/Amazon Kindle.
I pick that choice. Nothing ever happens, as far as I can tell. Can you give more exact details about how exactly this is suppose to work?

Nothing will happen. Just go to your Books library and the book will be there. Look for it by Title instead of Most Recent.

Blossom
12-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Nothing will happen. Just go to your Books library and the book will be there. Look for it by Title instead of Most Recent.

What she said! :D It works you just don't see it working. Think of open with Kindle like a big refresh button for the Book and Documents shelves.

salsaguy
12-03-2011, 05:23 AM
I have recently checked out a book on ovrrdrive from my library.
its an epub. I use adilko for epubs.
For some reason its not loading/importing.
i tried copying ti various with no luck.
i know its worked before for other sideloaded epubs
Any ideas?
Thanks

[/QUOTE=jimad;1853678]Reading EPUB books on KFire

Personally I'm getting the most satisfaction out of Aldiko. [The goofy scratchmarks in the background "paper" of Aldiko can be removed via Settings.] One can import epubs placed in the location:

where "X:" is the location of the Kindle Fire when attached to your computer using a USB cable. For example "X:" is actually file location "J:" on my computer because locations D: through I: are used for various camera SD card reader thingees. In general when you hear androidees talking about the "sdcard" location that location corresponds to "X:" when the KFire is attached to your computer. So when they say:

sdcard/eBooks/import

that corresponds to:

when attached to a Mickeysoft computer. The final trick is figuring out at what directory locations each of these ebook reader apps expects to "import" epub ebooks from --

Overdrive for Android also installs successfully allowing one to download and read epubs checked out from your local public library [but don't try to read them from the Overdrive EPUB browser itself, which stinks, I use B&N instead] and nowadays one can also borrow mobis via an Amazon Store route from your local public library. Often libraries only have a particular book in mobi, epub, (or pdf) format so its helpful to have routes for all of the above.
/[/QUOTE]

Blossom
12-03-2011, 04:19 PM
I have recently checked out a book on ovrrdrive from my library.
its an epub. I use adilko for epubs.
For some reason its not loading/importing.
i tried copying ti various with no luck.
i know its worked before for other sideloaded epubs
Any ideas?
Thanks

I just looks it up. I think you need ACSM file not the epub.

Okay did more research. Download ACSM file onto the Fire. Use File Expert to open it with Aldiko.

salsaguy
12-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Hmm thats strange. Never heard of ACSM types before. Not even sure its available. Will have to go back and re-check

I just looks it up. I think you need ACSM file not the epub.

Okay did more research. Download ACSM file onto the Fire. Use File Expert to open it with Aldiko.

Blossom
12-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Hmm thats strange. Never heard of ACSM types before. Not even sure its available. Will have to go back and re-check

It's the file you get when go to download a book to your PC into ADE. You download a ACSM file and when you click on it, it downloads the book into ADE.

salsaguy
12-03-2011, 06:04 PM
I didnt dl the file using my PC but using my Fire and the Overdrive app linked to my library card and then Amazon store download

Will work on it and check back
I dont see a way to turn in the book and re-check it out to fix/redo the process so....will have to investigate

Blossom
12-03-2011, 06:08 PM
I didnt dl the file using my PC but using my Fire and the Overdrive app linked to my library card and then Amazon store download

Will work on it and check back
I dont see a way to turn in the book and re-check it out to fix/redo the process so....will have to investigate

There's no need to recheck out the book. Log into your library on your PC and go to my account\bookshelf. You can download the ACSM file from there. Your browser might be set to open it automatically so you might have to fix that be sure to save the file not open it.

Take that file and put it on the fire then use File Expert or Astro to open it with Aldiko then it should download the book into the Aldiko and you can then read it.

salsaguy
12-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Anyone know a tip/trick to make it so your KF doesnt blank the screen after 5 seconds of no touching, when not in an app?
My KF likes to not leave me anytime to do something before to blacks the screen.
I currently have it set on 1 minute but it seems to blacks it out after 5-10 secsonds

The lowest setting is 30 seconds so not sure why its not matching my real life experience

I will change it to 5 mins and see if it does anything