View Full Version : A follow-up to: Newbie needs to understand

Tango Mike
11-14-2011, 11:17 AM
To all who took the time to explain this to me, a special thanks for sharing your expertise. I used your suggestions to start again.

To recap the old workflow: doc>htm>Calibre>epub produced a file that miserably failed Epubcheck and would not deliver to iTunes.

Rather than use Sigil to validate and correct that file, I tried doc>htm>Sigil>epub.

An Epubcheck of this file produced only one error 38 times, corresponding to chapter breaks:

"ERROR: /Volumes/dummy/OEBPS/Text/Section0001.xhtml(645): attribute "clear" not allowed at this point; ignored"

My question is now reduced to how I correct this single item in Sigil.

If you help me do that, I promise to quit being a pest . . .

Jellby
11-14-2011, 12:16 PM
You probably have something like:

<br clear="both"/>

for pagebreaks. Don't use that. Instead, insert chapter breaks and split the file at them.

Tango Mike
11-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks, Jellby:

The doc file has Word page breaks. When I first opened it in Sigil, the text continually flowed, so I inserted chapter breaks to split the file. Since the original Word page breaks are the problem, would it be better for a newbie to fix that within Sigil, or to remove all the page breaks from the original doc file, re-open it in Sigil as a new book, and insert the chapter breaks?

Thanks for your advice.

Toxaris
11-15-2011, 01:51 AM
How did you get the file in Sigil? If you made an export from Word to filtered HTML, the line breaks are converted correctly.