View Full Version : I Chickened Out!!!

SCION
11-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I decided to bail on you folks. I canceled my Fire order while it was in the Shipping Soon phase (surprised that option was available).

I really need to know what the reading app looks like, and it bothers me that it wasn't shown in the demonstration at the press event. I'm thinking it's basically the Kindle Android App which is totally lackluster with little formatting options. I don't care about collections/tags on this device. B&N's Android app and NOOKcolor/tablet stock reader app are very good. Really surprised Amazon hasn't done more in this area, but hey, maybe they did!

I also need to know if you can download movie rentals.

So, if it's just the Amazon Android app and strictly streaming of videos, I can do that already on my Sony Tablet. I'm really anxious to see hands-on video of the reading app. I know I can use other reading apps on the Fire, and I plan to (if I buy). But I'm buying this device because of the Amazon ecosystem.

I still have the Touch on order. Anxious for that as well!

HarryT
11-12-2011, 01:55 PM
If you already have an Android tablet, there's probably little if anything that you'd gain from the Fire, is there?

CRussel
11-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Now see, given Amazon's excellent return policy, I'd have definitely let the order go through. Nothing like having it in your own hands to decide if you like it and if it does what you want. If it doesn't? Send it back, and tell them why. MUCH more compelling to them, and they have a better chance of understanding what you want/expect and where they fell down.

SCION
11-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Yeah, but I have specific reasons why I'm buying it. I can get my answers from you folks here in a few days. :smile: If I didn't have an Android tablet it would be a different story.

SCION
11-12-2011, 02:06 PM
If you already have an Android tablet, there's probably little if anything that you'd gain from the Fire, is there?

I'm buying it for the Amazon ecosystem and the size. It'll be a complement to the Kindle Touch as well, which is why the reading app is important to me. I want to be able to buy books from Amazon and sync across devices, but I don't like the reading experience with the Android app. Today I get my magazines through the Barnes and Noble Android app, but I would like to be able to give that up, and go through Amazon for all my reading content. Magazines in the Kindle Android app are terrible compared to B&N. Also, you can only download rented movies (for offline play) to certain devices. I'm hoping their own tablet is one of them.

Katie1
11-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Congrats...for making a wise choice LOL

gweminence
11-12-2011, 02:46 PM
I sync across devices,

But you HAVE to use Amazon's app to sync, afaik. Syncing is done on their servers, and they're not about to do it for 3rd party reading apps.

jswinden
11-12-2011, 02:48 PM
I decided to bail on you folks. I canceled my Fire order while it was in the Shipping Soon phase (surprised that option was available).

I really need to know what the reading app looks like, and it bothers me that it wasn't shown in the demonstration at the press event. I'm thinking it's basically the Kindle Android App which is totally lackluster with little formatting options. I don't care about collections/tags on this device. B&N's Android app and NOOKcolor/tablet stock reader app are very good. Really surprised Amazon hasn't done more in this area, but hey, maybe they did!

So, if it's just the Amazon Android app and strictly streaming of videos, I can do that already on my Sony Tablet. I'm really anxious to see hands-on video of the reading app. I know I can use other reading apps on the Fire, and I plan to (if I buy). But I'm buying this device because of the Amazon ecosystem.

I think as long as it hasn't actually shipped they will allow cancellation.

So did you cancel both Fire orders? I think you said you ordered two for your kids, but I might be thinking of someone else. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have once I get mine in a few days.

I'm actually very excited about the Kindle system now that they have Personal Documents that can sync farthest page read, highlighting, notes, etc. It was always a total PITA to have to maintain books separately on multiple devices if I was reading a modified book. Now I don't have to deal with that, and I'm also excited about the latest edition of K4PC which helps me tie it all together if I want to use my highlights and notes for research. I cannot get all that with Sony, B&N, Kobo, etc.

friktion
11-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Hi Scion:

Better check to make sure it's not off your credit card/bank account because mine was charged yesterday ...

sirmaru
11-12-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm actually very excited about the Kindle system now that they have Personal Documents that can sync farthest page read, highlighting, notes, etc. It was always a total PITA to have to maintain books separately on multiple devices if I was reading a modified book. Now I don't have to deal with that, and I'm also excited about the latest edition of K4PC which helps me tie it all together if I want to use my highlights and notes for research. I cannot get all that with Sony, B&N, Kobo, etc.

Amazon also offers this resource for memorization of your highlights and notes:

https://kindle.amazon.com/your_reading

I do my highlights on the 3rd Generation Kindle and type my notes in there from my PC. I go to the Daily Review Pane to review highlights and notes from books already read. They automatically show a different book every day.

If you borrow books from Kindle, you must click to Display All Books, not just Kindle purchased books. There you will see the highlights and notes from the borrowed books and pBooks as well.

I doubt if any other eBook publisher has a site like this.

nickinev
11-12-2011, 03:54 PM
After the Nook Tablet was announced I was very tempted to cancel, but decided to try it out the Fire first. I am also on the waiting list at Barnes and Noble, so if I do decide to go that route there will be one there for me. I've been going back and forth, so I think for me the only way I'll know is to try them for myself. :)

Nicole

SCION
11-12-2011, 06:32 PM
But you HAVE to use Amazon's app to sync, afaik. Syncing is done on their servers, and they're not about to do it for 3rd party reading apps.

I'm not sure why you bring this up. :) I'm aware of that. I said I don't like the Android app, so I'm hoping that the Fire is a better reading experience. The bottom line is I won't be syncing anything if the Fire is basically the Kindle app because I won't buy it and I won't use the Kindle Android app on my current tablet. I'll still use the Touch regardless because I need an eInk device.

I really enjoyed reading on the stock NOOKcolor reading app, so I have high expectations. Barnes and Noble did very well in this area.

gweminence
11-12-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm not sure why you bring this up. :) I'm aware of that.

Well it's just that you go out of your way to say that you dislike amazon's reader apps...but you HAVE to use them for the sync'n, which you say you do. I was just a little confoozled, is all. :P

SCION
11-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Well it's just that you go out of your way to say that you dislike amazon's reader apps...but you HAVE to use them for the sync'n, which you say you do. I was just a little confoozled, is all. :P

Right, I don't like the Android app. That doesn't mean that the Fire is using that, does it? No one knows. Have you seen the reading app? I've looked at the YouTube video of the gentleman doing the demonstration. He never opens a book.

The NOOKcolor/tablet doesn't make use of the Android app. There are similarities, but there are differences as well.

jswinden
11-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Right, I don't like the Android app. That doesn't mean that the Fire is using that, does it? No one knows. Have you seen the reading app? I've looked at the YouTube video of the gentleman doing the demonstration. He never opens a book.

The NOOKcolor/tablet doesn't make use of the Android app. There are similarities, but there are differences as well.

I don't recall seeing the reading app demonstrated either. I hope we are pleasantly surprised with a great app! However, I'm realistically thinking it won't be much better than what the Android and iPad apps are, but we can hope. After all, I think the reader app on the KFire is supposed to support KF8 formatting from the get go, so it probably isn't the standard Android app. Once again, who knows though as any thing can happen here.

SCION
11-12-2011, 06:56 PM
I don't recall seeing the reading app demonstrated either. I hope we are pleasantly surprised with a great app! However, I'm realistically thinking it won't be much better than what the Android and iPad apps are, but we can hope. After all, I think the reader app on the KFire is supposed to support KF8 formatting from the get go, so it probably isn't the standard Android app. Once again, who knows though as any thing can happen here.

I'm staying positive, thinking the Fire reading app wasn't ready for show. :)

covfam
11-12-2011, 07:03 PM
unforunatly the ipad/iphone version of the kindle app is much nicer than on my adroid phone (android 2.3.4) and my samsung galaxy tab (android 2.2.2) the IOS version is much closer to the N&N and Kobo readers than the android version. i WISHED that the kindle app was as good as the IOS version. im hoping that when kindle fire is released we get the nice ios version.

gweminence
11-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Ehh my money is on it being exactly the same. They'd want it to be, across platforms, it seems to me. I hope I'm wrong.

But to me, the sync feature is just too convenient to forego.

SCION
11-12-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm back in the fold!

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1829814#post1829814

SeaKing
11-13-2011, 01:12 AM
----

I think the only time they don't offer cancellation is when it is out of their hands like with a third party vendor. Even if it had come, you could have
1) refused it
2) call or online tell them you don't want it, and then refuse it.
3) sneak a peek, and if you don't like it, send it back with a complaint.

Blossom
11-13-2011, 01:14 AM
I'm back in the fold!

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1829814#post1829814

:rofl: Glad to have you back. :D

SCION
11-13-2011, 03:56 AM
I found a video snippet of the Fire reading app. It's in the Jeff Bezos presentation. It does appear to be the Kindle Android app. The menu icons look the same. If you use the Android app you'll recognize that. Page turn animation would have been nice. Oh well...lots of other stuff to be excited about. Look for the reading app at 37:25.

4QXXTdG94xI

LauretteBradley
11-13-2011, 07:34 AM
My bet is that the reading experience is substantially better than the android app. Just a guess, but they want this to be a knock-your-socks-off experience. Look at how modified the browser is! (Which I highly doubt is a development intended just for the Fire, by the way.)

All ereaders have some OS underneath and for most it has been some form of Linux (true for previous Kindles). Linux and Android share a lot; Android was build on a Linux kernel. But that similarity of OS did NOT imply that early kindles were just like the android app. When it's their own hardware and version of the OS vendors can do plenty of interesting tweaks.

nynaevelan
11-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Scion:

I understand your apprehension, I too was discouraged from the Fire due to CS telling me that it did not have the ability to run collections. So I decided to switch to the Touch for myself, the lack of collections and the loss of the eInk technology was two blows I wasn't willing to take. But instead of cancelling my Fire I decided to give it to the hubby as a Christmas present. This way I can test it and decide if I want to get one a little later since I plan on replacing my Galaxy Tab. I am hoping that the Fire will later if not now have the ability to use collections and use a better app than the K4Android app. While I too do not care for it I am also one who prefers the Amazon ecosystem and I try to do all my purchasing and syncing from them. With the cloud drive now having a backup of all my music files and I am trying to migrate all my usage over to Amazon, though I am still apprehensive about my video files and how I will be backing them up online, I think I will stick with dropbox for now.

Nyn

ilovegadgets
11-13-2011, 10:26 AM

Scion,
I am right there with you concerning the reading app. It seemed very odd to me also that on the demo for the Fire, the gentleman demonstrating the fire did not open a book. Like you I am wondering if it is just the basic Kindle for Android app. I really like the Nook Color app, but my daughter has taken over my Nook Color because SHE really likes it too. : ) Like you, I am anxious to see reviews of the Fire. I totally support your decision to cancel your order and wait and see, yet I'm also disappointed that you canceled because I know you would have given a very thorough review.

Oops. Scion, Somehow, before posting I missed that you were once again going to buy it. I'm glad to hear it. I can't wait to read you review. : )

maxsassy
11-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Why do you think reading a book on the Kindle will be any different on the Kindle Fire? I am totally confused. Is there anywhere that shows someone reading a book on the Kindle Fire?

Blossom
11-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Why do you think reading a book on the Kindle will be any different on the Kindle Fire? I am totally confused. Is there anywhere that shows someone reading a book on the Kindle Fire?

Alot believe that reading a Kindle book on the Fire will be with the Kindle For Android App. I have to say after seeing the upgrade to the app store I am very optimistic they will be updating the Kindle app to have more features like collections personal documents cloud...etc.

I plan to use Mantano Reader app on my Fire as I find the current Kindle App lacking. If only they added a way to change the background color I might use it more.

SCION
11-13-2011, 01:08 PM
...If only they added a way to change the background color I might use it more.

Yeah, that's more problematic for me than the lack of formatting options. I thought the sepia would be great, like in many other apps, but it's not good. I don't know if it's the tone of the sepia they use or the light colored text (instead of black) on top of it. Mantano and the NOOK Android app got it right. I also like a grey background. I switch between sepia and grey in Mantano based on lighting conditions. Got hooked on the grey when I had my NOOKcolor. It's also in the NOOK Android app.

Blossom
11-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Yeah, that's more problematic for me than the lack of formatting options. I thought the sepia would be great, like in many other apps, but it's not good. I don't know if it's the tone of the sepia they use or the light colored text (instead of black) on top of it. Mantano and the NOOK Android app got it right. I also like a grey background. I switch between sepia and grey in Mantano based on lighting conditions. Got hooked on the grey when I had my NOOKcolor. It's also in the NOOK Android app.

Oh I use a Grey background too! This a must for night time reading for me. I agree the Sepia is too bright. If we could darken the white background to grey using a slider it would be so much better.

jswinden
11-13-2011, 01:20 PM
It seems there are several eBook reading apps that turn the text brown when in sepia mode. I suspect a lot of these apps are written by programmers who seldom read for pleasure. I'm still hoping that Amazon tweaked the eBook app for KFire as I no longer want to use another Android or iOS app since they cannot take advantage of Whispersync. To me the most important function is Whispersync and the ability to sync farthest page read, highlighting, notes, etc. Secondary to that is formatting. However, if formatting is so lackluster as to make reading a pain, then that will cause me to rethink any Kindle device. I can overcome the lackluster formatting on the Kindle E Ink readers. Unfortunately I cannot overcome it on the iPad due to the iPad's horrible text rendering engine and low resolution, which admittedly is an Apple issue rather than an Amazon issue. I hope I can overcome it on the KFire, or better still, I hope the formatting is good enough that it does not have to be overcome.

Blossom
11-13-2011, 01:25 PM
It seems there are several eBook reading apps that turn the text brown when in sepia mode. I suspect a lot of these apps are written by programmers who seldom read for pleasure. I'm still hoping that Amazon tweaked the eBook app for KFire as I no longer want to use another Android or iOS app since they cannot take advantage of Whispersync. To me the most important function is Whispersync and the ability to sync farthest page read, highlighting, notes, etc. Secondary to that is formatting. However, if formatting is so lackluster as to make reading a pain, then that will cause me to rethink any Kindle device. I can overcome the lackluster formatting on the Kindle E Ink readers. Unfortunately I cannot overcome it on the iPad due to the iPad's horrible text rendering engine and low resolution, which admittedly is an Apple issue rather than an Amazon issue. I hope I can overcome it on the KFire.

You will be able to use Whispersync and Personal Doc cloud with the Kindle Fire. I can already send my stuff to my Fire which I ordered on Saturday. :D

I suspect the reading app will have an update soon if it uses the stock Android app.

jswinden
11-13-2011, 01:34 PM
You will be able to use Whispersync and Personal Doc cloud with the Kindle Fire. I can already send my stuff to my Fire which I ordered on Saturday. :D

I suspect the reading app will have an update soon if it uses the stock Android app.

Yes, I know. And that is why I won't even consider using any of the other reading apps as none of them can be used with Whispersync. I've tried a bunch of 3rd party apps on my Android phone and it is just too much trouble to manually transfer highlights and notes. They often have much better formatting options, but they are a PITA for syncing.

sadievan
11-13-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't have an android device, the Fire will be my first, so I'm not familiar with the kindle android app. Is it just the background colors that you are objecting too, or are there other lack of features that you don't like.

Thanks,
Carol

Blossom
11-13-2011, 01:40 PM
I don't have an android device, the Fire will be my first, so I'm not familiar with the kindle android app. Is it just the background colors that you are objecting too, or are there other lack of features that you don't like.

Thanks,
Carol

Yes the background color and text are horrible to look at as it's too bright and don't go well together. There are no way to change margins or fonts so it doesn't look as pretty as a Kindle E-Ink specially when you Zoom in.

Blossom
11-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Yes, I know. And that is why I won't even consider using any of the other reading apps as none of them can be used with Whispersync. I've tried a bunch of 3rd party apps on my Android phone and it is just too much trouble to manually transfer highlights and notes. They often have much better formatting options, but they are a PITA for syncing.

I could see that being a problem. :chinscratch: I usually just stop reading at a chapter so I don't have a problem picking up on Mantano what I am reading on my Kindle and vice versa. I usually don't read the same books though on both devices. It may change on the Fire but my bed time reading is usually a different book from my afternoon reading.

jswinden
11-13-2011, 01:48 PM

Thanks,
Carol

The Kindle Android and iOS apps have a bit less formatting capability than do the Kindle E Ink readers. But that is kind of typical with most of the big name apps. That is, the popular E Ink readers from Sony, B&N, Kobo, etc. tend to have better formatting than do their related Android and iOS apps. Third party reader apps tend to have better formatting, but they don't directly sync with any E Ink readers.

Skydog
11-13-2011, 01:56 PM
I must be the only one who has no complaint with the Kindle app on my Xoom and Droid X (both Android). I prefer it over Aldiko, Moon Reader and others.