View Full Version : Stanza updated for iOS5

seajewel
11-10-2011, 11:32 AM
I haven't tested it in iOS5 as I chose not to update because of Stanza. That was pretty quick, considering it can take apple a while to approve app updates. I'm happy Stanza will work though, because nothing is as smooth and snappy and customizable. And I tried so many apps.

seajewel
11-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Funny enough, I rushed here a bit soon. As of the update, Stanza no longer works in iOS 4.3. The irony....

ilovejedd
11-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Funny enough, I rushed here a bit soon. As of the update, Stanza no longer works in iOS 4.3. The irony....
Lol. Will certainly be testing this on my brother's iPhone 4S. I currently have an iPhone 4S that's been sitting in the box since launch (which I probably would've sold eventually). If all works out with the new version of Stanza, I'll be replacing my iPhone 4 with the 4S. :)

seajewel
11-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Well once people confirm that Stanza works nicely on iOS5 I'll update my iphone. :) On my 4.3, Stanza won't even open. They really couldn't fix it without breaking it on anyone not on iOS5? Really?

artbatista
11-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Sadly, it's still broken in ios5, tried on both ipad2 and iphone4.

Crap!!?

Barcey
11-10-2011, 12:31 PM
I just updated on my iPhone 4 with iOS 5 and it's working. I haven't tested everything but at least it launches now and I can read.

Insalata
11-10-2011, 12:38 PM
It's working OK on my iPhone and iPod Touch. Some formatting doesn't display quite right - things aren't centred - but I can't remember if it handled that properly before or not.

It picked up all the books I had before, remembered my shared sites, spotted the Calibre server and downloaded from it.

I had a play with the settings for the screen colour, font size &c, and they all behaved well.

artbatista
11-10-2011, 12:42 PM
I deleted and reinstalled in my iPhone and now it's working. Have not tried the iPad yet.

All I can think is that something got left behind from the previous (broken) version.

I just downloaded some books and I am reading now.

Art

toomanybooks
11-10-2011, 01:01 PM
I just installed and tested it. It downloaded a batch of six books from my calibre library by tag id. I opened one and read three chapters with no problems. This is on a first gen ipad.

kyteflyer
11-10-2011, 02:31 PM
I've saved out my old Stanza version (though I think if you check your mobile applications folder, the old stanza will still be there. If you don't plan to update to iOS5 (I don't, on this 3GS) it would be worth the saving in any case. I'm on 4.1, but will update now and see whats what. if it fails, I'll save out the new one and reinstall the old.

trevgriff
11-10-2011, 02:49 PM
working on my iPad 2 and iPhone 4s

GeneS
11-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Just installed the update to my iphone 4 (IOS 5.0.1), reinstalled some of my books, checked out settings. Everything seemed to work just fine. This is "simply marvelous " for those of us who were mourning the loss of Stanza after installing IOS 5.

artbatista
11-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Apparently the reason it did not work the first time, is because Apple actually sent me 3.1, though the iTunes page said 3.2

I went to updates and there was an updat to 3.2

Working fine now

tomsem
11-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Ran update to 5.0.1, installed updated Stanza (I'd previously uninstalled), it works!

am_mread
11-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Ahhhhh, finally back to Stanza! It's working well on 5.0.1. Switched back to Stanza a few minutes ago (haven't used in a long time since I was beta testing 5.0. Loading my current reads from Calibre, setting my margins, colors, and fonts are just so intuitive with Stanza. Any idea why so few fonts are available in Bluefire (in particular Baskerville)?

Thanks to everyone involved in the lobby movement to get Stanza updated.

1611mac
11-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Latest Stanza is working great on my iPad with iOS 5

DDRx
11-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Longtime lurker, but this piece of news incensed me so I finally decided to sign-up: Amazon updates, sunsets Stanza (http://www.macworld.com/article/163524/2011/11/amazon_updates_sunsets_stanza_app.html)

(After this release) "We will no longer be updating or supporting Stanza… We would like to thank you for your interest in Stanza, and let you know that Amazon is committed to providing the best reading experience on iOS though the Kindle for iPhone, iPod and iPad apps.”

There's always the possibility that Amazon may decide to donate Stanza to the open-source community instead of letting it die. Given their focus though on ensuring that the Kindle dominates, I wouldn't hold my breath.

seajewel
11-10-2011, 07:26 PM
but Kindle for iOS devices has nowhere near the features that Stanza does. grr..

leebase
11-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Looks like Amazon removed the Fictionwise link.....<sigh>

Lee

Nexutix
11-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Long live stanza!

ilovejedd
11-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Tried the update on my brother's iPhone 4S. Found some annoyances with the new version of Stanza. If you have an ebook open and go to Edit » Delete Book, it just stays on the edit screen and you have to tap cancel and tap on the screen again to go back to the previous menu instead of immediately closing the ebook like earlier versions of Stanza did. Line breaks in metadata also show up as double-spaced. Everything else seems to be working fine so far. If those are the only issues I find, I'm going to upgrade my phone. I've been itching to get the Android-like notifications.

tomsem
11-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Apparently Amazon has stated that 'this is the last update'. But with any luck, there will be alternatives the next time Stanza experiences death at the hand of Apple.

Barty
11-11-2011, 01:37 AM
Is it just me or the cover image lookup never finds anything any more?

This started happening couple weeks ago, with version 3.1. I think the URL or interface for the cover lookup must've changed.

This is one of my fav stanza features!

Can someone start a petition to open source stanza?

ninadb
11-11-2011, 05:59 AM
Hi

I updated Stanza on ipod touch 4g which is still on ios 4.1. Now when I start Stanza it opens with a blan screen and exits back.

I think now either I have to upgrade to the new ios 5 and try or delete stanza and revert back to the older stanza version 3.1 which was working excellent before

Thanks
Ninad

andrea345
11-11-2011, 09:51 PM
I broke it. Rats. I got too excited & tried to load up all my books. It was good for about 200 meg or so. I did get a notice that I needed to upgrade my iOS again, so I should go do it.

I've been working with iBooks since "The End". I use the iPad triple click on the Home key to get night mode. I've built collections around my authors' names. It handles both PDFs & ePubs. It's still deficient though.

Still, if I can't get more than 200-300 meg of my files in there's a stopper. Anyone able to load more than that?

kyteflyer
11-12-2011, 04:50 AM
Still, if I can't get more than 200-300 meg of my files in there's a stopper. Anyone able to load more than that?

I've sideloaded 700 or so books. Its not my entire collection but it seemed to me that loading more was getting slower and slower. Ive no idea what that equates to in terms of Mb but I think its probably around 300.