View Full Version : Shipping Options

bob_ninja
10-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Most online stores provide 2 options, slower/cheaper (for N.America it would be US Postal Service) and a faster/expensive (UPS, FedEx). I am generally not in a hurry so use slower USPS. Seems Bookeen only has FedEx and no cheaper option.

I am in Canada. Besides their higher prices, both UPS and FedEx have a hidden "border broker fee", which is NOT listed on the bill. This additional fee can double and triple shipping costs :(

I sent a message to them, so perhaps they'll fix it. Any tips on how to avoid FedEx shipping and ensure shipping costs don't escalate. I consider up to 10% (or $35 in this case) to be reasonable.

thanks

Ortep
10-29-2007, 04:22 PM
They are shipping from France. So no US postal service I guess. In Europe (At least in Holland) there is no real difference in price and speed between the various ways of Shipping.

bob_ninja
10-29-2007, 04:47 PM
They could easily ship a container of devices to US, then distribute it from US using US Postal Service. I would be surprised if they packaged and shipped them individually from France. I assume they would sell a lot to US, so bulk shipping to a US based distributor would make sense.

DaleDe
10-29-2007, 05:19 PM
They could easily ship a container of devices to US, then distribute it from US using US Postal Service. I would be surprised if they packaged and shipped them individually from France. I assume they would sell a lot to US, so bulk shipping to a US based distributor would make sense.

If they had a US based distributor. I think NAEB is working on that role.

Dale

Barcey
10-29-2007, 06:36 PM
They're shipping FedEx Express (Air) which I believe includes the Brokerage fee. I'll send an email to FedEx to confirm. I believe it's just the Ground Services (FedEx or UPS) that have hidden (ridiculous) brokerage fees to Canada. Luckily ground service isn't an option from France to Canada. ;-)

bob_ninja
10-29-2007, 10:22 PM
They're shipping FedEx Express (Air) which I believe includes the Brokerage fee. I'll send an email to FedEx to confirm. I believe it's just the Ground Services (FedEx or UPS) that have hidden (ridiculous) brokerage fees to Canada. Luckily ground service isn't an option from France to Canada. ;-)

They confirmed that they ship directly from France to Canada (so my guess above was wrong). They are not aware of any hidden fees. I would appreciate very much if you could post here the response from FedEx. thanks

phuata
10-30-2007, 04:07 AM
Bob, I'm also in Canada. What shipping fee do they quote you for sending it to Canada?

eimert
10-30-2007, 06:25 AM
Bob, I'm also in Canada. What shipping fee do they quote you for sending it to Canada?

Hi there,

on their webshop they state CAN$ 350.00 for the devise + CAN $32.15 for FedEx Express delivery (2 days). So, it's a total of CAN$ 382.15. I have no idea, how much the Canadian customs and import taxes (if any?) will be. I wonder whether this will reach the 365 EURO I will have to pay :-(

Cheers,
Klaus

bob_ninja
10-30-2007, 07:18 AM
Yep, that is correct.
Canada Customs would usually charge GST/PST, about 11%
That is what I had to pay at a land border to US.
The brokerage fee which I had to pay to UPS for shipping from US by land can be as much as 50%. I guess it combined Customs fee (GST/PST) with UPS' own additional charge. So I really want to avoid that nonsense. GST/PST is the fact of life here like VAT in Europe, so fine.

I just want to ensure that FedEx Air won't go beyond GST/PST. That would be good enough for me.

Barcey
10-30-2007, 11:49 AM
They confirmed that they ship directly from France to Canada (so my guess above was wrong). They are not aware of any hidden fees. I would appreciate very much if you could post here the response from FedEx. thanks

I called FedEx Express and they confirmed that the brokerage fees are included in the Express shipping.

bob_ninja
10-30-2007, 12:25 PM
I called FedEx Express and they confirmed that the brokerage fees are included in the Express shipping.

Great news!!! thanks

bob_ninja
11-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Well mine has arrived, but now I see the f.... broker popup in FedEx tracking tool:

Nov 6, 2007 12:14 PM

In transit

OTTAWA, ON

Package to be cleared by FedEx broker

I sure hope I don't get slapped with a $50 broker fee YET AGAIN :(

bob_ninja
11-06-2007, 08:21 PM
I picked it up.
There was only a minor $7 fee, plus GST/PST, which is common for most imported products. So I can say now that indeed, for Canada there are no hidden significant fees from FedEx.

Still, the total tab is now up to about $440 (including shipping and taxes).

Loopy65
11-07-2007, 12:12 PM
in the UK it's costing $488 (in Canadian dollars) according to my conversion widget so you're still better off even tho it's going much further! lol

Loopy