View Full Version : need help with ebook formatting

parrafo175
11-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Hello,

I am very new to ebook formatting. I have good knowledge of HTML and CSS but so far I have only tried a few things like write2pub for Open Office, SIgil and Calibre.

Any advice on any other software (preferably free) that I could play with?

Any rules for creating good ebooks out there?

Thank you
Eleni

dwig
11-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Any advice on any other software (preferably free) that I could play with?

Any rules for creating good ebooks out there?

Thank you
Eleni

I find Notpad++ useful once you add the WebEdit plugin and customize it with appropriate tags.

There is a lot of info on formatting in MR's ePub and Kindle forums.

parrafo175
11-04-2011, 05:29 AM
Thanks dwig for the information. I will try out Notepad++

Do you think it is a good idea to create a template css that I can use with epubs, so I only make little changes here and there?

AlexBell
11-05-2011, 04:37 AM
Thanks dwig for the information. I will try out Notepad++

Do you think it is a good idea to create a template css that I can use with epubs, so I only make little changes here and there?

Well, for what it's worth that's what I do - I have two templates, one for MobileRead library and one for Circaidy Gregory Press for whom I'm doing some conversions from print to ePub. If some ebooks have special needs I just fiddle with the template.

In fact I use a template for the whole ePub, and just change or overwrite the files in it. It's pretty basic, but if it's of any interest to you I could send it.

Toxaris
11-05-2011, 07:05 AM
That is what I do too. I have a core epub with pages for covers and so on and a CSS stylesheet. I upload the book in the core and change what needs to be changed.

parrafo175
11-09-2011, 01:56 PM
In fact I use a template for the whole ePub, and just change or overwrite the files in it. It's pretty basic, but if it's of any interest to you I could send it.

Hello,

It would be great if you can send it.

Thank you

parrafo175
11-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Hi Toxaris,

thanks for your comment. What toold do you use?

Toxaris
11-09-2011, 02:12 PM
I use primarily Word and Sigil. Sometimes Notepad++, but that is rare.

AlexBell
11-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Hello,

It would be great if you can send it.

Thank you

Here's the one for Circaidy Gregory Press. It validates with ePubCheck and FlightCrew.

roger64
11-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Hi

You can use LibreOffice or OpenOffice with writer2xhtml extension. Totally free and multi-platform.

You'll find a guidebook with my signature. It's been published on MobileRead but it's in French.

The software itself can be used of course in English.

parrafo175
11-11-2011, 04:27 AM
Thank you Alex. I am going to try and do something this weekend and post it back here for your feedback, if thatīs ok.

Cheers

parrafo175
11-11-2011, 04:30 AM
I currently use Open Office with writer2epub extension but I will try the writer2xhtml extension too. Thanks

AlexBell
11-13-2011, 03:35 AM
Thank you Alex. I am going to try and do something this weekend and post it back here for your feedback, if thatīs ok.

Cheers

Fine, or you could send me a private message with your email address, and I'll respond to it with mine.

opitzs
11-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Hi Alex,

thanks from me for the template, too! I took away some nice ideas.

Thank you
Sven

AlexBell
11-18-2011, 03:54 AM
You're very welcome, Sven. I have had a lot of help from people on these forums, and its nice to be able to help someone else.

Michael Chaplin
11-18-2011, 04:16 AM
You might want to try this have a look "Very cool software" some free some a few dollars

Cheers,
Michael

https://market.android.com/details?id=udk.android.reader&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiw idWRrLmFuZHJvaWQucmVhZGVyIl0.

parrafo175
11-18-2011, 07:24 AM
I attach an epub where I did the css. Itīs not exactly a template but if you guys have any feedback feel free to share.

Regards,
Eleni