View Full Version : Tell me about the on screen keyboard

ron1959
11-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Is it good to use or frustrating?
Is anyone using the vox to reply on this forum....?
:)

spikexp
11-01-2011, 09:33 PM
At first I was on my desktop, but i took time to open my vox just to reply to this. I can type really easily with this keyboard, sure not as fast as with my desktop, but still fast.

All this was type with the vox in portrait mode(the small key).

Haesslich
11-01-2011, 09:45 PM
I've used it to reply on this forum. It's standard Gingerbread, which makes it slightly frustrating. Look for a more thumb-friendly tablet-oriented keyboard app - I just wish you could get Thumb Keyboard on this.

pokee
11-01-2011, 10:04 PM
I've never used a thumb keyboard before, but I think I'd like it!

TonyToews
11-01-2011, 10:28 PM
It's ok but then I've been a touch typist since when I took manual (non electric) typewriters in high school. And I've been programming computers ever since.

(Indeed I have 8 or 9 of my favourite keyboard once I realize they stopped making that ergonomic layout anymore. At about 5 - 8 years life per keyboard I should be good until I die.)

ron1959
11-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Ok question for you guys using your thumbs.
Seems to me like portrait mode would be cramped and top heavy & landscape mode would be too wide to reach all over with thumbs?
comments....?

ron1959
11-01-2011, 10:36 PM
It's ok but then I've been a touch typist since when I took manual (non electric) typewriters in high school. And I've been programming computers ever since.

(Indeed I have 8 or 9 of my favourite keyboard once I realize they stopped making that ergonomic layout anymore. At about 5 - 8 years life per keyboard I should be good until I die.)

Hi Tony - do you lay the tablet flat on a table on the table for touch typing?
I always thought it would be difficult to view the screen that way but I guess if the angle is ok for reading it should be ok for typing.

Haesslich
11-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Ok question for you guys using your thumbs.
Seems to me like portrait mode would be cramped and top heavy & landscape mode would be too wide to reach all over with thumbs?
comments....?

It is. That's why there are special apps which split the keyboard and move it to the corners, so you don't have to reach around so far... and it's easier to type that way than to put the tablet down to peck and keys.

3d0g
11-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Dunno if the Vox supports it, but if it does, load Swype (http://store.ovi.com/content/58438) ASAP. It's the only way to "type" on a screen keyboard.

pokee
11-01-2011, 11:14 PM

I also learned touch typing on a manual typewriter in high school! I can type about 70 wpm...but the touch screen keyboards drive me nuts. I just can't seem to type quickly on them. I've tried to touch type with my hubby's ipad and I make about 10 mistakes per sentence. I seem to have more success thumb typing - but honestly, I just try do do most of my typing on a 'real' keyboard!!!

That's funny about your collections of keyboards! I hate those ergonomic things, but I know some people love 'em.

LauraPony
11-02-2011, 07:55 AM
I find it really easy to type on the Vox. Much nicer than an iPhone, Blackberry, or iPad. I prefer typing in portrait mode, I find the size of the keys and the spacing is perfect for my hands. (I have replied to some forum posts with the Vox, but not this time).

KoboJW
11-02-2011, 11:19 AM
The Vox keyboard is a reskin of the standard Gingerbread keyboard. In my (obviously biased) opinion, it is one of the nicer tablet keyboards I've used. Way, way better than stock. Personally, I find it better in portrait than landscape, though...

James

TonyToews
11-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Hi Tony - do you lay the tablet flat on a table on the table for touch typing?

No, 95% of the time I'm using the Vox so far is in my comfortable recliner chair. So I'm resting it on my err substantial belly holding it with my left hand and hitting the keys with my right hand.

I can see, now how shall I put this politically correctly, some women not being able to use this technique due to err obstructions. :)

TonyToews
11-02-2011, 07:07 PM
That's funny about your collections of keyboards! I hate those ergonomic things, but I know some people love 'em.
:) The style of the keyboards is so old that the primary connector on is the large round PC XT style. Not the smaller PS/2 connecter. It did come with a PC XT <> PS/2 adapter. And I have another PS/2 <> USB adapter. Bizarre but it works.

Now being the paranoid pessimist that I am three of those keyboards are stored at three different friends houses and one is in my vehicle. Those are my backups in case the house burns.

Haesslich
11-02-2011, 07:40 PM
The Vox keyboard is a reskin of the standard Gingerbread keyboard. In my (obviously biased) opinion, it is one of the nicer tablet keyboards I've used. Way, way better than stock. Personally, I find it better in portrait than landscape, though...

James

Landscape is why you need split keyboards. It's more of an issue in that mode, but even portrait on anything bigger than a 7" tablet is pain with the stock keyboard. As it is, I find I can be more efficient with one even on the Kobo as I don't need to reach over into the middle of the screen for some of the more commonly used keys (t, r, f, v, c) in typing.

taming
11-02-2011, 10:49 PM
I love Swift Key X for its predictive ability. They have a tablet version with a split keyboard. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to buy it in Canada. Its on Amazon Market in the US, but we can't access that here. That being said, the stock keyboard is pretty good.

46jimbo
11-03-2011, 10:38 AM
I have an Asus Transformer tablet, and for typing, I bought this nice tablet stand.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Desktop-Adjustable-Holder-Stand-F-Apple-iPad-Tablet-PC-/400209729568?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item5d2e5bd820

It has 2 positions, high and low. In the low position, it holds your tablet on a slight angle, making touch typing easy. They have a photo there demonstrating how it's done. In the high position, I can read from it hands-free while eating my breakfast.

It's of a solid aluminum construction.

taming
11-03-2011, 07:02 PM
I found SwiftKey X Tablet at apktop. I downloaded and installed it, but it really bothered me that I had " stolen " a paid app. I don't do that. My solution was to buy the SwiftKey app for an old phone we don't use anymore and then uninstall it. I knew that unlocked phone would come in handy someday.

It is an amazing app. You can let it learn your language use in various ways to improve the text prediction. The more you use the app, the better it is able to predict what it is you want to type. It offers split screen or full width choices and three different themes. I love it on my smartphone and now I love it on the Vox.

kaplanmyrth
11-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Has anybody tried installing Swype on the Vox? Does it work?

mr_nobody
01-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Replying to an old post but Swype is absolutely a must on the vox. No idea how I managed to type anything before.

kaplanmyrth
01-06-2012, 12:43 AM
I tried installing Swype but couldn't get it to work. Did you have to root your Vox to get it to recognize Swype as a keyboard option?

jefftheworld
01-06-2012, 12:56 AM
I use an alternative keyboard app called Hacker's Keyboard that gives you a proper keyboard with all the special function keys (ctrl, alt, shift, tab, etc). It's certainly not for everyone, but if you're a nerd you might want to give it a try. Great for use with terminal or VNC apps.

mr_nobody
01-06-2012, 08:34 AM
I tried installing Swype but couldn't get it to work. Did you have to root your Vox to get it to recognize Swype as a keyboard option?

My vox is rooted but I did not get the sense it was a requirement for swype?

GJSmith
01-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Got the Swype loader installed, registered on their site, they said and email would be sent to activate account (not sure why this is needed). Nothing came so I tried a second time and still nothing so contacted them..... maybe Monday they will get back to me.

Dunno if the Vox supports it, but if it does, load Swype (http://store.ovi.com/content/58438) ASAP. It's the only way to "type" on a screen keyboard.