View Full Version : Cybook questions

jbenny
10-28-2007, 12:24 PM
I was looking at the Bookeen web site and have a few questions for those of you who will soon have a Cybook in hand.

Fonts - If reading an HTML file that specifies the font in a stylesheet, does the Cybook display that font (assuming the font is installed on the Cybook) or does the device override it and display its own font? Can you switch between the document specified font and a user specified font at will?

Hyperlinks - How is selecting a hyperlink done and how about jumping back to where you were? Specifically, how cumbersome is this, given the few buttons on the device?

Dictionary - It is stated that only Mobipocket dictionaries are supported. Can you use the dictionary to lookup words in any supported ebook format, not just Mobipocket?

Bookmarks - Are they supported in all ebook formats?

The last few questions are aimed at those "in the know" about the Cybook.

HTML - What HTML specification does the Cybook support - HTML 4, XHTML 1.0 Transitional, XHTML 1.0 Strict, XHTML 1.1, or some other subset? I see that tables are not supported, but saying that is still too broad a statement about HTML support.

CSS - What about CSS support, if any? CSS 1.0 or CSS 2.0, or some subset?

epub - Will epub support be added to a later firmware? I would very much like to see this added.

delphidb96
10-28-2007, 02:25 PM
I was looking at the Bookeen web site and have a few questions for those of you who will soon have a Cybook in hand.

Fire away! :D

Fonts - If reading an HTML file that specifies the font in a stylesheet, does the Cybook display that font (assuming the font is installed on the Cybook) or does the device override it and display its own font? Can you switch between the document specified font and a user specified font at will?

Nope. From what I've been able to tell, in HTML, the Cybook interposes it's own font - although that is one of (on *MY* sample Cybook) seven. And you can add other fonts directly to the Cybook via USB download.

Hyperlinks - How is selecting a hyperlink done and how about jumping back to where you were? Specifically, how cumbersome is this, given the few buttons on the device?

Doesn't have that capability at this time. At least, not in version 0.99 of the firmware - as I *don't* have whatever version they're gonna supply with the production release models, I can't positively state this feature has been implemented or how it will work.

Dictionary - It is stated that only Mobipocket dictionaries are supported. Can you use the dictionary to lookup words in any supported ebook format, not just Mobipocket?

Haven't tried it. However the 'Lookup' menu pops up in TXT, HTM/HTML and PDB ebooks as well as the Mobi ebooks so, if I had a Mobi dictionary, I suspect it *might* work. I figure this is a *reader's* ebook reader, not one designed specifically for researchers and hard-core students. After all, there's no way to add annotations in an ebook, or highlight passages...

Bookmarks - Are they supported in all ebook formats?

Bookmarks??? What are these 'Bookmarks' of which you speak??? :)

Sorry, no, there is *NO* bookmarking feature in version 0.99 of the firmware, although this feature *may* be added.

The last few questions are aimed at those "in the know" about the Cybook.

HTML - What HTML specification does the Cybook support - HTML 4, XHTML 1.0 Transitional, XHTML 1.0 Strict, XHTML 1.1, or some other subset? I see that tables are not supported, but saying that is still too broad a statement about HTML support.

CSS - What about CSS support, if any? CSS 1.0 or CSS 2.0, or some subset?

epub - Will epub support be added to a later firmware? I would very much like to see this added.

Right now, with version 0.99 firmware, you'd be better off thinking HTML 3.xx. And make it *SIMPLE* - no multiple-HTML-file ebooks, no jumping to another file through hyperlinks.

I believe HTML 4/CSS/XHTML support is destined to be added, and I would *HOPE* the same is true for .EPUB.

Derek - proud owner of an 'engineering sample' Cybook Gen3

Ortep
10-28-2007, 03:36 PM
A lot seem to have changed in the version 1.0 software

Check this link

http://www.bookeen.com/specs/ebook-software.aspx

tompe
10-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Haven't tried it. However the 'Lookup' menu pops up in TXT, HTM/HTML and PDB ebooks as well as the Mobi ebooks so, if I had a Mobi dictionary, I suspect it *might* work. I figure this is a *reader's* ebook reader, not one designed specifically for researchers and hard-core students. After all, there's no way to add annotations in an ebook, or highlight passages...

Will any Moby dictonary work? For example will CONCISE OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY work? A dictionary is very useful when you are reading text in another language then your native language. There is always some words that you usually guess the meaning of and I really like to be able to check some words easily.

delphidb96
10-28-2007, 04:12 PM

Check this link

Saw the features listed at the link. Am jealous! Paid much *MORE* than 'Deluxe' version price for my engineering sample and still don't have those features. Nor the leather case. :)

Derek

delphidb96
10-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Will any Moby dictonary work? For example will CONCISE OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY work? A dictionary is very useful when you are reading text in another language then your native language. There is always some words that you usually guess the meaning of and I really like to be able to check some words easily.

As I *SAID*, *I* don't know. I've yet to try the Mobi dictionaries out. But then, I'm a barbarian American who *can* piddle my way through Spanish and German - but I don't usually do so, and I don't read texts in other languages (other than programming languages) unless forced to at gunpoint. :o

Derek

Ortep
10-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Paid much *MORE* than 'Deluxe' version price for my engineering sample and still don't have those features. Nor the leather case. :)
Derek

You should be able to upgrade the software. I am an early adaptor with the Cybook. But you got it a month in advance. How is that called? Pre early? :crowngrin

hapax legomenon
10-28-2007, 05:18 PM
first, congratulations. can't wait to buy it.
when you add a font, are you adding it to cybook memory or to your memory card?

Can the ttf files you find on your desktop simply be loaded onto your cybook?

How many faults are preinstalled? how many fonts could you conceivably install on the cybook?

are there any latency issues when you download and use a custom font.

Should I assume that readers will be downloading fonts? Will this be easy to do? Can websites package/distribute certain font collections?

jbenny
10-28-2007, 06:42 PM

Check this link

Yes, that was what I was basing my questions on. I know that the pre-release firmware didn't have some of those features. Hopefully, Derek will get the 1.0 firmware soon. With all the folks who have placed an order, there should be lots of others who can add their two cents soon.

jbenny
10-28-2007, 06:47 PM
I believe HTML 4/CSS/XHTML support is destined to be added, and I would *HOPE* the same is true for .EPUB.

Derek - proud owner of an 'engineering sample' Cybook Gen3

I do hope that they add XHTML 1.1 and CSS2.0 support. Of course, by doing this, they would be most of the way to supporting epub as well (I hope). Two birds with one firmware?

andym
10-29-2007, 07:08 AM
The publicity, and list of features suggests that the CyBook ebook reader software (the pdf reader may be something different) is a rebadged version of Mobipocket Reader. Is that correct or have they developed their own reader?

Robert1325
10-29-2007, 09:27 AM
it's mobipocket :)

solodoc
10-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Hi there

Just wondering I've got a couple of chm files that mobipocket won't import.

Would decompliing them to html make them readable on the cybook?

I mean I could just save the html file to a sd card...etc.

I would like to know as that's how I'd be using my cybook if ordered one along with my pdf ebooks.

HarryT
10-29-2007, 10:03 AM
it's mobipocket :)

Let's be clear on this. It is NOT a "ported" version of any other version of the MobiPocket reader. It's new software that's been written by Bookeen which reads MobiPocket files.

jbenny
10-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi there

I would like to know as that's how I'd be using my cybook if ordered one along with my pdf ebooks.

That brings up a related question. Does the Cybook support TXT and HTML files that are in a Zip archive? This is widely supported by other reading software as a way to keep separate files for one book together, as well as saving space. If not supported, it would be a good feature to add. It would also be needed for epub support, so would be doubley smart.

delphidb96
10-29-2007, 12:47 PM
That brings up a related question. Does the Cybook support TXT and HTML files that are in a Zip archive? This is widely supported by other reading software as a way to keep separate files for one book together, as well as saving space. If not supported, it would be a good feature to add. It would also be needed for epub support, so would be doubley smart.

As of firmware v0.99, no.

Derek

solodoc
10-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi there

Does it read chm decompiled to html though?:blink::blink:

solodoc
10-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Does it read chm decompiled to html though?:blink::blink:

:tired: :pray:

andym
10-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Let's be clear on this. It is NOT a "ported" version of any other version of the MobiPocket reader. It's new software that's been written by Bookeen which reads MobiPocket files.

[Genuine question]. I'm curious as to your source on this. It seems to me to be a little unlikely that Mobipocket would have licensed the DRM to Bookeen and then not licensed any of the code for the reader. And you'd have thought that Mobipocket would be keen to work on a 'nux version of the reader that they could license to other device manufacturers. The integration with the Mobipocket desktop reader suggests that there has been a lot of collaboration. (And the fact that it's been almost impossible to get a response on the Mobipocket support forums for the last month or so may or may not have been connected with an imminent Bookeen launch). It's difficult to believe there isn't some sort of commonality.

solodoc - yes probably assuming the html is valid and all the links are OK etc.

solodoc
10-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks andy

I guess you mean do the links work ...well yes.

About the html file being valid.....you've lost me

andym
10-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks andy

I guess you mean do the links work ...well yes.

About the html file being valid.....you've lost me

If there are no mistakes or missing bits in the file. Can you read the decompiled html in a web browser for example?

solodoc
10-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Yes Andy..thats how I'm reading it now...it works fine on the laptop with either FFox or IE....no problem....

Mobipocket won't import it though.

They are chm that I've decompiled to html...infact the html looks better than the chm in FF.

I guess you're saying it works on the Cybook....that is if html works on FF or IE

solodoc
10-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Yes Andy..thats how I'm reading it now...it works fine on the laptop with either FFox or IE....no problem....

Mobipocket won't import it though.

They are chm that I've decompiled to html...infact the html looks better than the chm in FF.

I guess you're saying it works on the Cybook....that is if html works on FF or IE

Any answers?

andym
10-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Any answers?

solodoc -

(I'm assuming you are trying to read on a PC or PDA while you wait for a delivery of a Bookeen?)

In my experience Mobipocket can get cranky about some html files for no apparent reason (or at least no reason I've had time to work out). It gives messages about being unable to open and having insufficient memory.

One option might be to create a .prc file using mobicreator (free download from the mobipocket website - .prc is in effect the Mobipocket equivalent of .chm). Another option that has worked for me is to replace the 'head' (ie the 'Doctype' and the parts of the document between the 'head' tags with the header from an html file that I know will open.

Sorry, but that's as much as I can think of I'm afraid. Unfortunately it could be that the problem comes from an error in the html - it might be that IE and Firefox ignore the error while it causes Mobipocket to choke.

solodoc
10-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks andy

Much appreciated

recordsmith
10-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Just wondering if it will support pdfs better then the sony 505. I tried out the sony today and loaded a pdf file it really was not impossible to read and in Landscape was very easy to read. One problem was that when I loaded a dissertation from proquest it freaked the sony out, the dissertation was just scanned images and about 300 pages. I am looking into a unit for reading research and don't want to spend the money for an iRex.

i guess I am just waiting for a review comparing the sony 505 and cybook.

Hadrien
10-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Just wondering if it will support pdfs better then the sony 505. I tried out the sony today and loaded a pdf file it really was not impossible to read and in Landscape was very easy to read. One problem was that when I loaded a dissertation from proquest it freaked the sony out, the dissertation was just scanned images and about 300 pages. I am looking into a unit for reading research and don't want to spend the money for an iRex.

i guess I am just waiting for a review comparing the sony 505 and cybook.

PDF support seems much better on the Cybook. First of all, you've got a real zoom that makes it possible to read A4 PDFs. The fonts and images looked sharper, and the background is more white than on the PRS-500/505.

HarryT
10-31-2007, 03:47 AM
[Genuine question]. I'm curious as to your source on this. It seems to me to be a little unlikely that Mobipocket would have licensed the DRM to Bookeen and then not licensed any of the code for the reader. And you'd have thought that Mobipocket would be keen to work on a 'nux version of the reader that they could license to other device manufacturers. The integration with the Mobipocket desktop reader suggests that there has been a lot of collaboration. (And the fact that it's been almost impossible to get a response on the Mobipocket support forums for the last month or so may or may not have been connected with an imminent Bookeen launch). It's difficult to believe there isn't some sort of commonality.

solodoc - yes probably assuming the html is valid and all the links are OK etc.

I'm certain that MobiPocket provided Bookeen with source code and technical assistance, but sources "in the know" have said that the CyBook's Mobipocket Reader is not the portable Java version that was written for the iLiad, but a completely new development. As you say, the fact that it will integrate with the Desktop Reader clearly shows that the two companies must have worked closely together.

solodoc
10-31-2007, 08:25 AM
Got this from bookeen

Dear X ,

Unfortunately the Cybook does not read yet CHM neither HTML files decompiled from CHM.

CHM is among the next formats which will be supported by the Cybook in next software upgrades.

It is in fourth or fifth position in our todo list after RTF, full HTML and zipped packages.

Bets regards,

Bookeen team

Which means I may be buying one......

tompe
10-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Very nice. Does that mean that plucker files will be supported? Is a plucker file just a packed chm file?

DaleDe
10-31-2007, 11:49 AM
Very nice. Does that mean that plucker files will be supported? Is a plucker file just a packed chm file?

Wow, how can you make that jump? There has been no indication that Plucker is even in the sights of Bookeen. It is a format only supported on Palm devices and there is likely no reason to see it anytime soon if ever.

It is nice to see zip high on their list. Hopefully that will allow cbz files and then chm.

jbenny
10-31-2007, 12:28 PM
It is in fourth or fifth position in our todo list after RTF, full HTML and zipped packages.

YES! Hey Bookeen, make sure to include XHTML 1.1 in the "full HTML" support. That, along with the Zip support will make adding epub much easier, later.

tompe
10-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Wow, how can you make that jump? There has been no indication that Plucker is even in the sights of Bookeen. It is a format only supported on Palm devices and there is likely no reason to see it anytime soon if ever.

It is nice to see zip high on their list. Hopefully that will allow cbz files and then chm.

OK. I misread a statement. The real stament about plucker was: "The format is a compressed HTML archive, somewhat like Microsoft's CHM".

wallcraft
10-31-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm certain that MobiPocket provided Bookeen with source code and technical assistance, but sources "in the know" have said that the CyBook's Mobipocket Reader is not the portable Java version that was written for the iLiad, but a completely new development. As you say, the fact that it will integrate with the Desktop Reader clearly shows that the two companies must have worked closely together. The Bookeen version is already miles ahead of the Java version, but the initial code base does seem to have been licensed from MobiPocket, see the 3rd screenshot of I promised some pictures... (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=111376&postcount=9).

Moonraker
11-02-2007, 08:07 AM
I will probably use the Cybook very rarely for mp3's. But when I do I want to know if the socket for the headphones will be standard 3.5mm. (Some PDA's use 2.5mm which is not standard).

I cannot wear "ear buds" and would want to provide my own "hook over ears" headphones.

Does anyone know?
:ears:

Ortep
11-02-2007, 09:04 AM
I will probably use the Cybook very rarely for mp3's. But when I do I want to know if the socket for the headphones will be standard 3.5mm. (Some PDA's use 2.5mm which is not standard).
Does anyone know?

Here is your answer

http://bookeen.com/specs/ebook-hardware.aspx

PamG
11-02-2007, 09:44 AM

I cannot wear "ear buds" and would want to provide my own "hook over ears" headphones.

Does anyone know?

Derek
Derek be careful, remember it takes 2.5mm headphones not 3.5 mm. Look in the cellphone isle.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15685&page=2
post 24

AnemicOak
11-02-2007, 10:12 AM

Does anyone know?

It's 2.5mm, but adapters to 3.5mm are pretty cheap. I got 2 for my Treo for about $7 from JAVOedge.com (there was an ad here on the forum).

hacker
11-28-2007, 09:44 AM

Plucker file formats are supported on PalmOS, Windows Mobile, PocketPC, and on desktops capable of using the GTK+ reader (or any other reader someone decides to write that can read the format). Currently this means Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.

If Bookeen wanted to support Plucker, they could, without any significant effort on their part. The format is openly documented and available (http://cvs.plkr.org/docs/DBFormat.html?revision=HEAD) for anyone to support.