Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
Unlocked Kindles???

So I'm looking around on ebay for a used DX, and I see several listed as unlocked... What are the potential issues with buying an unlocked device?

What I really want is a DX wifi version but they still have not made this yet. Most of my use will be PDF that I can't get into an ebook format without a large amount of work. They contain forms and several other issues that prevent a good conversion. I'm reading right now on a tablet PC but the text is not as clear as I would really like, and the tablet is about two or three times heavier than a DX and of course uses a backlit LCD so battery can be an issue even though I get about 6 hours out of the battery.

I have a couple of low ball bids on some of these unlocked devices so I'm sure there is little risk in winning one before I can get the answer to my concern.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Send a message to the seller and ask what unlocked means. I would assume it means jailbroken.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The 3G might be disabled on those (that might be what they mean by unlocked, but you can't put another SIM card in them).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I don't know what unlocked means, but it sounds naughty. I wouldn't be doing any kind of tethering to surf on your laptop as I'm sure Amazon can tell who you are. I'm equally sure they wouldn't like it very much.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

I figure that anything anyone has messed with is only worth about 1/3 the price. Since I'm looking at this mostly for things like PDF I can't see needing to buy stuff from Amazon and I can probably download the current firmware and apply it back fixing the unlocked condition.
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I think they're referring to the 3G (for some reason), but I'm not positive. Double check with the seller.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
Greg_E
Zealot

The seller turns out to be clueless, I've been outbid and I don't think I'm going to increase the bid on this item.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011...Daily+Strip%29
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #9
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I have the same question as the OP. About half the Kindle DXs for sale on ebay are "unlocked". This seems to pertain to the 3g connection, but I would like to know exactly what that means for someone purchasing and using a DX in the U.S. We would like to have Wi-Fi (dream on! ) but we do not want to give up the Whispersync functionality.

Has anyone bought an unlocked DX?

Can anyone give an informed answer? (I know I can ask one of the sellers, and I will if I have to. )

Thank you!!!

kennyc, I loved that Dilbert -- so true!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
I have the same question as the OP. About half the Kindle DXs for sale on ebay are "unlocked". This seems to pertain to the 3g connection, but I would like to know exactly what that means for someone purchasing and using a DX in the U.S.
It simply means that the seller doesn't have a clue. There's no such thing as an "unlocked" Kindle DX. All current DX's will work world-wide.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:26 AM   #11
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Thanks Harry!

I thought maybe they had removed the connection to AT&T somehow . . .

If it's just clueless sellers there are a lot of them, and ebay gives them their own special category -- I'm not doubting you; I've seen stranger things than this!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I resin all think the seller is using "unlocked" in the sale description to make clueless buyers think that particular Kindle is worth more, and thus justify jacking up the price another $50-100 dollars over someone else's Kindle DX sale.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
slboyd
slboyd doesn't litterslboyd doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
They seem to mean that it is not "locked" into AT&T but I don't know what that means for using the 3G without a carrier? Are other carriers available to you? Or can you not connect with the 3G? That doesn't seem to be good but they market it as a positive...
slboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
It means de- or un- registered. I've recently bought a second DX from eBay and checked that before bidding. Or at least it means that if the seller has a clue.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you really think that the OP cares, 6 months later?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote