View Full Version : Problems with iPad ebooks after upgrade

AlexBell
10-22-2011, 03:51 AM
I have several ebooks on my iPad that I have done myself, and have been able to get the cover to show on the bookshelf and get the ebook to open at the cover.

This afternoon when I turned my iPad on it wanted to upgrade its operating system, so I did that.

Now when I open the library all the ebooks I have made and some of the ones I have downloaded through iTunes do not show the cover. One of the other ebooks which has changed in this way is Elizabeth Castro's EPUB to the Point, so it's not just me.

Has anyone else had this experience? Any suggestions as to what I can do? When I have I'll try to open up one of the ebooks whose behaviour has not changed, but I don't know whether I'll be able to do that because the Apple DRM has not been broken yet.

I use iBooks, if that makes any difference

Erik_Engren
10-22-2011, 04:56 AM
Same experience here! After upgrading to iOS5 and iBooks 1.3.2 (422) all the covers went back to generic covers - except for the native iBook Store purcheses and samples.

The other day when syncing the iPad2 with iTunes *ALL* my e-books just vanished from my bookshelves! No idea why. The "Sync Books" check box was un-checked - as it still is.

What I have done - not really a solution, though - is to re-import all the e-books again, and redeem my e-book purchases from iBook Store. All my hard work downloaded samples have to be downloaded again, I suppose. This time I will save a e-book copy in iTunes as well as a copy in a separate folder...

Toxaris
10-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Sounds like an Apple feature!

st_albert
10-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Sounds like an Apple feature!

Yeah, somebody has wandered a bit too far outside the garden wall...

wannabee
10-23-2011, 01:33 AM
no problems so far down here. sometimes in the past just opening the book would change the cover from generic to cover image. perhaps the guide tag in the opf file is not included.

AlexBell
10-23-2011, 03:52 AM
Thanks to you all.

I do have the guide tag in all the ePub books have done recently, but though they showed the 'real' cover before yesterday they show the generic cover now. On the other hand an ebook I am working on did not showed the generic cover yesterday, but shows the real cover after I uploaded a later version last night. So I suppose I could reload all the ebooks and see if the cover comes back.

As I mentioned some of the ebooks which I had downloaded from the Apple store kept the real cover. I wish I could look inside them to see what markup they have.

JSWolf
10-27-2011, 09:16 PM
On my wife's iPad, all of her books in iBooks lost their covers after the iOS5 update. The only way to fix this is to delete them and put them back. I did this with some of them to test this out and yes, the covers came back once they eBooks were replaced. There doesn't seem to be a solution other then replacing them.

AlexBell
10-28-2011, 02:05 AM
Thanks, Jon