View Full Version : I smell toner ...

ebookie
10-25-2007, 04:56 AM
So has anyone noticed a particular odor about their Iliad? Mine has a strong sense of a 'toner' smell, like the smell when you replace the cartridge in your laserprinter or copier. I keep thinking it will go away but its been a few weeks now ...

Curious,
--Chuck

HappyMartin
10-25-2007, 06:10 AM
Nope, I don't smell it. Could it be psychosomatic? I still smell photographic chemicals on ink jet prints.

watcha
10-25-2007, 06:42 AM
I'd say mine is completely odorless too.

Boris
10-25-2007, 06:47 AM
Yep, recieved my V2 a few weeks ago and it smelled to high heaven. It's far less noticable now.

HarryT
10-25-2007, 07:15 AM
P'raps it's a v2 thing? My v1 doesn't smell at all.

tribble
10-25-2007, 07:37 AM
I had a smelly one. It smelled more like ... well ... doe. A bit flowery. I was wondering, where that came from. Probably some assembly guy used too much preparing for a date after work ;)

nekokami
10-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Plastics do give off volatiles for a while after they are molded. And toner is made of plastic, these days.

Just a thought....

yokos
10-25-2007, 11:51 AM
If I smell a laser printer or copier I will smell the fresh created ozone. :cool:
My new replaced screen doesn't smell. The iLiad v1 plastic case never did.
[OT]: The smell of smoker's books isn't a pleasure. :knife:

MarkRPenn
10-25-2007, 12:15 PM
P'raps it's a v2 thing? My v1 doesn't smell at all.

My V2 is totally odorless :)

Mark

Cronoknight
10-25-2007, 04:41 PM
mine smells too

Brise
10-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Yes my V1 iLiad has a odor.

Part of the problem was easy to solve. The M-Edge Executive Jacket I purchased has a strong chemical odor. After placing it in the sun for a few weeks to air it out, I gave up on the jacket. Wiping down the iLiad with alcohol wipes helped minimize odors that transferred from the jacket.

Then there is the iLiad itself. I believe most of the odor comes from the dark rubberized coating on the plastic shell.

Folks with chemical allergies are probably more likely to find the iLiad unpleasant to smell or handle. Chances are pretty good that the rubberized coating is both unstable and petroleum based.

Tiny bits of the coating is slowly wearing off the iLiad resulting in an exposed corner or random sparkles as the base plastic catches the light.

Frankly I'd like to grind the stuff off the plastic but don't want to make the case any thinner. Maybe someone will start milling some aftermarket shells for this thing so we can read without the odors.

Boris
10-27-2007, 07:55 AM
Nice coating, pity it's wearing off on the corners after only a month