Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
slainte
Zealot
slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Archos 7 ereader

Just want to know if anyone is familiar with the archos 7 ereader. My brother in law is buying it for my sister for christmas and has asked my advice. Now I have a galaxy tab myself and a sony reader both of which I like. I know that it is android and connects via wifi to the internet and can read books so that is ok. However want to make sure that apps such as facebook can be used on it tried googling and looking at reviews but can't see. Anyone have any information please?
slainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Go to Archos website and look around for updates. Last I tried one it was android 1.6 and lacking in my mind though it does the basics nicely.

I don't know what it comes with these days.

Any of the cheaper units will have some limitations though I have a cheaper unit and am well pleased with it.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
slainte
Zealot
slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Was on it and it is not much good. Says it has 2.2 android. Have sent an email to them so will see if they respond.
slainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
My son had one of the older 7 inch and liked it but loves his newer 5 inch.

Android 2.2 would make a big difference, lots more apps would work on it most likely. My son got very frustrated finding apps he wanted for 1.6.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
I have an Archos 70 (not the ereader, the tablet). It is Android 2.2. It is very light and reasonably responsive.

BUT the battery life stinks, especially for reading.
slm is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
I had the first generation Archos 5 IT and it's screen was beautiful, but it was stuck on 1.6 for the longest time and I have no idea if it was ever ROMed. Still it was durable enough and is now owned by my sister (who has a 2 year old and a 4 year old.) I understand that Archos support isn't particularly great and they charge extra for adding software functionality like codecs. It's not a big deal with Android unless you want to use the Archos music and video player.

Is he certain he wants to buy her the Archos? There are several tablets in the 6-8 inch range that cost less than $200 and might offer easier and broader functionality. Has he considered a refurbished Nook Color? I love mine and it has great battery power and good viewing angles.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote