Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Porting CWM to the Edge

Okay folks. I'm doing my best to follow the tutorial Koush has put up on his blog here.

Here is what I have done so far:
1. Got cyanogenmod up and compiling on OSX. (Not trivial!)
2. Dumped images from /dev/ubi0_0 - /dev/ubi0_2. I don't have the space to dump /dev/ubi0_3. Not sure why, it appears to be only 250MB in size. Regardless, this looks like mostly user data. Probably not necessary.

I am stuck at this step:
Quote:
build/tools/device/mkvendor.sh device_manufacturer_name device_name /your/path/to/the/boot.img
I get the following error:
Quote:
unpackbootimg not found. Is your android build environment set up and have the host tools been built?
Well, I can't download the android source as specified at the android dev site as the urls are invalid since kernel.org is STILL down. I thought getting cyanogenmod compiling would be enough, but even after running envsetup.sh, it does not know where unpackbootimg is.

So that's the first problem.

The second problem is that the partitions are ubifs instead of jffs, which means that the instructions from koush's blog may not work. I am not able to mount the ubi images that I downloaded on OSX since OSX doesn't know anything about ubi, and I can't find anything on the interwebz to help me out there.

Other relevant posts on porting CWM can be found on MobileRead here.
How are the rest of you coming?

Last edited by nikkie; 10-18-2011 at 03:12 AM.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
ktwombley and you are probably the most knowledgeable people here.
he is up to something as well. please get together
Sorry I can not help with a lot. I can offer ftp space. if interested pm and I will email you the setttings.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Extract and rebuild a UBI image Customize Rom

http://www.chinadigitalcomm.com/post21948.html

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...tablets-4.html

http://osl.sed.hu/wiki/ubifs/index.p...oad_the_source

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubifs.html

this may help?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
nikkie, just a thought, would it make things easier if you set up a special environment for porting in a VM?
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
vicinc
Guru

most of the people talk about using a ubuntu VM
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
JRANGER
Connoisseur
JRANGER began at the beginning.

Device: Edgejr
im failing miserably
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
JRANGER
Connoisseur

Found this
"apparently the otatools target doesn't make unpackbootimg.
i managed to get it to work by doing `make -j4 out/host/linux-x86/bin/unpackbootimg`."

so have you tried
make -j4 out/host/linux-x86/bin/unpackbootimg....

Last edited by JRANGER; 10-18-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

I'm against the idea of using a VM on general principle - it's just never really worked out for me in the past. I have a linux install, it's just on the other side of my windows install behind a b0rked bootloader that I need to fix. I'll be doing that soon. I'll try out JRANGER's fix tonight for unpackbootimg.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
I'm against the idea of using a VM on general principle - it's just never really worked out for me in the past. I have a linux install, it's just on the other side of my windows install behind a b0rked bootloader that I need to fix. I'll be doing that soon. I'll try out JRANGER's fix tonight for unpackbootimg.
Some people lpve them, some hate them, VMs that is. One of our servers runs three of them, windows and two versions of linux, otherwise everything else here is OS/2 with the exception of one computer that is only brought out when absolutely necessary to solve a clients windows problem.

That being said and the fact that VirtualBox for OS/2 is old it still allows me to run an Android emulator in win XP on my OS/2 workstation.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
JRANGER
Connoisseur

I love VM....Im running 60 VM boxes at work in a VMWARE environment...but I have 4 monster servers as a back bone with 230GB of memory and 32 processors....SO yeah & TB of storage and it works wonderfully but its all about what works best for you
Old 10-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
nikkie
Guru

JRANGER's post's fix does indeed work to get unpackbootimg compiled. That really ought to have been in the instructions. Later, this fix is required for compiling the recoveryimage on OSX.

I'm now down at

Quote:
make -j4 recoveryimage
And getting the following error, which seems to related to the fact that I have ubi style partitions:

Quote:
Install: out/target/product/edgejr/root/init
Symlink: out/target/product/edgejr/root/sbin/ueventd -> ../init
Install: out/target/product/edgejr/root/sbin/adbd
Target ram disk: out/target/product/edgejr/ramdisk.img
Target boot image: out/target/product/edgejr/boot.img
error: unsupported page size 516096
Suggestions?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #12
JRANGER
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
JRANGER's post's fix does indeed work to get unpackbootimg compiled. That really ought to have been in the instructions. Later, this fix is required for compiling the recoveryimage on OSX.

I'm now down at

And getting the following error, which seems to related to the fact that I have ubi style partitions:

Suggestions?
I am researching it....google is my friend hopefully i will find something for you
Old 10-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #13
JRANGER
Connoisseur

The two files you are interested in are recovery.fstab and kernel. The kernel in that directory is the stock one that was extracted from the boot.img that was provided earlier. For the most part, recovery.fstab will work on most devices that have mtd, emmc, or otherwise named partitions. But if not, recovery.fstab will need to be tweaked to support mounts and their mount points. For example, if your /sdcard mount is /dev/block/mmcblk1p1, you would need the following lines in your BoardConfig.mk:

/sdcard vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1

Have you double check the sdcard mounting as described above?

Last edited by JRANGER; 10-18-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
JRANGER
Connoisseur

also did you do this?
Tip: Run "make clobber" between builds if you change the BoardConfig.mk, or the change will not get picked up.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
nikkie
Guru

Yeah, I've done all those things. I matched recovery.fstab to vold.fstab.internal. I can't find anything saying whether that's right or not, but I'd guess so.