Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
Rooted with multiple questions

I have rooted my Nook touch. As an aside, I am not familiar with the Android or Linux operating systems. If anyone can help even with just some of these questions I would appreciate it. I used the easy root approach and had the GO launcher automatically installed.

1) How do I find out what version of Android I have? Some apps that I tried to download say that I don't have a recent enough version.

2) I have the standard problem of not being able to search using the market app. I tried downloading a later version and was told that I couldn't with my level of Android. I thought I had seen a fix somewhere in these forums but I sure can't find it again.

3) Trying to access the Android market via the web gives me the common issue of "There are no Android devices associated with this account.". I tried the remove and add phone number recommendation and that didn't help. This is really causing a problem because I can't download anything at the moment.

4) I am looking for a basic reader app that only needs to read non-DRM epubs. I want to be able to control what happens when I tap on the left and right of the screen. I often want to page forward when I tap on the lower left of the screen which isn't usually the default. Cool Reader does about everything I want in terms of basic reading. Problem is that I also want to be able to find my books via series, genres, recently opened, recently loaded etc. Aldiko does this very well. At the moment I am trying to use Aldiko to sort and find my books and Cool Reader to actually read them. I LOVE Cool Reader's ability to use my cover page as my screen saver. That is worth a lot. I was going to try and download the Mantano trial in the hopes that it would give me the best of both worlds. Thanks to the issues above about no devices registered I can't even download this app to try.

If anyone can help with any of these issues I would really appreciate it. I have been working on this all day and got nowhere, well not quite true I have got a major headache!!

Thanks.........Jackie
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
TJay
TJay began at the beginning.

Device: NST
Jackie:

1. If you rooted with TouchNooter, you're running v2.1 of the Android operating system.

2. See here. That was the solution that enabled the market for me.

3. See #2.

4. Ahhh, that's the same conundrum I'm in. I like them ALL, but none have ALL the characteristics I want. In the end, I've opted to simply use the stock Nook Touch reader. It just seems smoother to me for reading. Keep us posted as to what you've decided. I've been looking for input on this issue since the day I rooted.
TJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
1. 2.1, regardless of how you've rooted, since at the moment that's all that's available.
2. See TJay's post or use an alternative method like searching on AndroidZoom via Opera Mini
3. Tjay's post.
4. CoolReader is my favorite. I used Aldiko for a long while, but I prefer CoolReader for the actual reading and with a larger collection of books the "List" view in CoolReader works best for me.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

I will try TJays appbrain suggestion again. I tried it at the beginning and had issues. I can't test it until I get to my hotel this evening where I will have wifi access. It would be nice if that solved the "no android device" issue. A few internet sites that I tried to download from all pointed me back to the android market and I still had download issues because of that error msg.

Dorino mentioned using the "list" view in CoolReader. Where do you see that? All I see is "open files" and I have been navigating via my file structure. Is that what you meant?

I can't reiterate enough how something as simple as showing the current book's cover page as a screen saver feels like such a super feature given that it isn't core to finding or actually reading a book. None the less I love that feature!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
jjansen
J

Thanks folks. I did get AppBrain loaded again and, thanks to that I did manage to get Mantano downloaded which was what I was trying to do all along.

TJays asked for my input. As far as a reader goes I really like Cool Reader. I am only reading non-DRMed epubs on my Nook Touch so it works fine for that. I am definitely going to continue reading using Cool Reader. The one problem that I have with it is, if you have a large collection of books, you have to basically decide ahead of time what you want to read and navigate through the file structure to the individual book. Thanks to Calibre I like the way my files and folders are laid out but it still isn't the best way to find a book. I did quite like Aldiko until I tried Mantano. Mantano is my favourite so far in terms of finding a book to read. I can list books by genre, tags and something that Aldiko doesn't do - by Series. I really liked scrolling through the list of series and then saying Yes I would like to read a book in the Alex Cross series for example.

For now I anticipate having both Mantano and Cool Reader installed with Cool Reader being the program that I use the most often.

Hope this helps and thanks to both of you............Jackie
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
TJay
TJay began at the beginning.

Device: NST
Jackie:

Thanks for following up!

Yeah, I've been using CoolReader (solely) for the past week. I like it, but it has some quirks. It certainly seems to render text a bit more to my liking over Aldiko and others, and the ability to control the refresh rate makes it near perfect. I haven't tried Mantano yet, but I will (I noticed they have a 7-day trial).

I do agree with you on navigating a large library with CoolReader's interface. Another small, cosmetic annoyance I have with it is that it doesn't display any covers unless you've "opened" the book first. Sort of a drag if you have lots of books in your library.

Again, thank you very much for the follow-up. Nice to hear your opinion!
TJay is offline   Reply With Quote