View Full Version : JPEGs choppy/fuzzy in epub

MichaelKaufman
10-05-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm creating a graphic for an epub as follows:
- designed it in InDesign 5.5 (it's mainly letters but one line drawing)
- exported as a JPEG
- in Photoshop, cropped in.
- in my ID book layout, I placed the JPEG. It looks great, the letters are all sharp

But when I export to epub and open it in a reader, the letters look terrible, choppy and amateurish.
I've tried on different object export settings (fixed, relative. Jpeg, giff) but nothing seems to make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated!

ilovejedd
10-05-2011, 04:00 PM
After you've exported the ePub, open it with an archiving program (WinZip, WinRAR, 7-Zip, etc) and replace the offending pictures with the original JPEG files you exported.

MichaelKaufman
10-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the reply, ilovejedd.
I copied the original JPEG into my OEBPS/Images folder.
I gave it the name as the one that was in there and changed the name of the original.
When I looked at the epub, there was only a ? where the image should be.
So I went into the content.opf file. In the manifest, it is href'ing to a title for the jpeg that is slightly different than the old jpeg file that I replaced (but which did show up, even though the quality was low.)

What now?

Thanks!
Michael

JSWolf
10-05-2011, 04:23 PM
If you are viewing your ePub in ADE for Windows, then the problem lies there. If there is any resizing to be done in ADE for Windows, it does a poor job of it. ADE on Sony Readers does a quite nice job of rendering images when they have to be resized.

MichaelKaufman
10-05-2011, 04:31 PM
I've looked at it in both Calibre and Sony Reader (on my desktop) and in both cases the letters have a sketchy quality.
thanks, m

Toxaris
10-06-2011, 04:12 AM
If it is a simple images, perhaps you can convert it to vector graphics (svg). That would solve the resize issues.

With renaming, take care. The names are case-sensitive.

Jellby
10-06-2011, 05:23 AM
If "it's mainly letters but one line drawing", try saving it as PNG instead, it should give more quality with a smaller size. (SVG would be better, but is more poorly supported.)

The resizing problem will probably the same, though.

HarryT
10-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Why are you using JPEG format for a graphic consisting of lettering and a line drawing? It's the worse possible choice of format for such a thing - the JPEG compression with "blur out" the edges of the letters and the lines.

Use the correct format for the job at hand: JPEG for real-world photographs, PNG for lettering, block graphics, line drawings, etc.

ilovejedd
10-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Why are you using JPEG format for a graphic consisting of lettering and a line drawing? It's the worse possible choice of format for such a thing - the JPEG compression with "blur out" the edges of the letters and the lines.

Use the correct format for the job at hand: JPEG for real-world photographs, PNG for lettering, block graphics, line drawings, etc.
Didn't notice it was just letters and line drawings. If so, yes, PNG is a much better format. Ideally, SVG is even better but few readers support it.

Toxaris
10-06-2011, 02:06 PM
I thought SVG was part of the specs? Which readers don't support it then?