Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
Cavestory
Cavestory began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
pinch to zoom on the kindle touch

anyone knows how well does the pinch to zoom works on the kindle touch?
i'll be using the kindle touch to read comics & manga on it as well, so wondering will it works well...
Cavestory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
It's not out yet, it wont be released until sometime in November. I'm not sure if it even has "pinch to zoom"
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
It's not out yet, it wont be released until sometime in November. I'm not sure if it even has "pinch to zoom"
It does. After the announcement when they had the demo session, they showed one of the features is pinch to zoom to enlarge the text size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlO3r2IndlQ
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
It does. After the announcement when they had the demo session, they showed one of the features is pinch to zoom to enlarge the text size.

cool
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
Cavestory
Cavestory began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:

awesome!!

just wondering are we able to keep it zoomed in and scroll across and down to read the panels, or do we have fit to the page and read the tiny text? hope its the former...

Last edited by Cavestory; 10-02-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Cavestory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Not bad given how relatively slow eInk is
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Hope that pinch/zoom also works with PDF viewer (and the 'experimental' image viewer, assuming that is still there). The ebook viewer might not zoom images past full page though—none of the previous Kindles have allowed that, and I don't imagine the viewer has changed much despite the new UI on top. It's annoying especially when you know there's more resolution than you can see.

Fire should allow full zoom as the iOS and Android Kindle apps do.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-02-2011 at 04:32 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
Hotbill
Hotbill began at the beginning.

Device: none
Amazon's description of the "zoom" feature only indicates that you can zoom in on an image to the full size of the screen, which is probably not what we're hoping for I'm guessing since the images or scanned pdf won't be able to be zoomed in on beyond the borders of the screen.
Hotbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:

That's not really pinch to zoom though. It's "pinch to change font size". So far I haven't seen any pinch to zoom demo in browsers, PDF or image, not sure it has it.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Interesting... video. I never really paid attention to the X-ray feature, but if you listen to his description of how to use the x-ray feature to look up information about a character, it sure sounds a LOT like this e-mail that I sent to kindle-feedback some time ago:

Quote:
More than once while reading a book I've found myself wishing for a "book specific dictionary".

For example: When reading a multi-book science fiction series there is often a long period of time between books and I find myself forgetting what place names or characters are in reference to. It'd be nice if the ebook could include its own supplemental dictionary that is also searched when I move the cursor over a word that could help refresh my memory.

Obviously this dictionary would have to be provided by the author/editor/publisher, but in order to do so the ebook file format and the device would have to support the feature.

This seems like it could be a differentiating feature that makes the Kindle even more appealing than it already is.
Maybe they do listen! ;-) Or, maybe I'm not the first to have that idea. :-)

Maybe I do have a desire to upgrade to the K4! If only it had page turn buttons!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote