View Full Version : TOC missing in TOC

virtual_ink
09-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Been away from work for a few weeks, and am back with a new problem, hooray!

I have built an internal TOC Page in my book, and provided an entry in the Navigational TOC to get to this page. The entry named "Contents" in the Navigational TOC shows up fine in ADE, but in iBooks, the entry for "Contents" in the Navigational TOC had disappeared. The page still exists in the book, I just can't access it via the iBooks Navigational TOC.

I can see no problem in the code. What the hell is going on?

virtual_ink
09-29-2011, 10:16 PM
So it appears that if the text within the code says "Contents" or "Table of Contents" - iBooks ignores it.

<navPoint id="navpoint3" playOrder="3">
<navLabel>
<text>Contents</text>
</navLabel>
<content src="epub-2.html#toc_marker-1-2"/>
</navPoint>

Too bad if your chapter was actually called Contents, huh? This is just ridiculous.

virtual_ink
09-29-2011, 11:15 PM
SO it chops Contents, Table of Contents, and I think Front Matter ... How frustrating. A complete list of terms to avoid could come in handy.

Jellby
09-30-2011, 04:00 AM
It's incredible how stupid programmers can be (and I'm sometimes one of them).

Toxaris
09-30-2011, 04:23 AM
It is incredible indeed. Add another stupid issue with iBooks.

Jellby
09-30-2011, 05:55 AM
As a workaround, you could try adding some invisible character to the "Contents" title, like a &nbsp; at the end or a zero-width space somewhere in the middle.

DiapDealer
09-30-2011, 05:58 AM
Granted, I firmly believe such decisions should be left entirely to the ebook creator, but I've never seen the point of having an entry for the table of contents IN the table of contents. It just hurts my head.

Adjust
09-30-2011, 06:39 AM
but I've never seen the point of having an entry for the table of contents IN the table of contents. It just hurts my head.

How would you get back to the TOC if there was no link in the TOC for the TOC.
I put them in all the time.

Jellby
09-30-2011, 07:15 AM
One: For consistency, it also let's you know if the TOC is at the end of the book or not, and whether there is anything interesting before/after it.

Two: In this case they are different TOCs. It's a link in the off-line TOC to the in-line TOC. The in-line TOC can have additional information, like illustrations or short summaries, which are not in the off-line TOC, and there should be a way to reach the in-line TOC (if it exists) that does not involve paging forward/backward all the way.

DiapDealer
09-30-2011, 07:54 AM
One: For consistency, it also let's you know if the TOC is at the end of the book or not, and whether there is anything interesting before/after it.

Two: In this case they are different TOCs. It's a link in the off-line TOC to the in-line TOC. The in-line TOC can have additional information, like illustrations or short summaries, which are not in the off-line TOC, and there should be a way to reach the in-line TOC (if it exists) that does not involve paging forward/backward all the way.

OK, I can see #2, but I guess I always strive to make sure that the offline toc is exactly the same as the inline toc (if it exists). *shrugs*

But like I said, I agree the decision should be made by the creator and NOT iBooks implementation of the navigational toc. :)

Jellby
09-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Besides, there are books in other languages than English...

DiapDealer
09-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Besides, there are books in other languages than English...
How would that affect the OP's issues or my "TOC as part of the TOC" question? Can the navigational (offline) TOC only display certain characters or something?

That's genuine curiosity, there, not snarkiness. :)

Jellby
10-01-2011, 03:03 AM
I mean it would affect the stupid iBooks "feature" of removing the TOC from the TOC, surely they don't check for the TOC name in every language?

JSWolf
10-01-2011, 03:15 AM
The simple solution is to just remove the internal ToC. It's not needed and it's not wanted. The external ToC will do fine. This way, you don't need a ToC entry for the ToC since you won't have an internal ToC. I find an internal ToC in an ePub to be insulting.

Toxaris
10-01-2011, 03:39 AM
The simple solution is to just remove the internal ToC. It's not needed and it's not wanted. The external ToC will do fine. This way, you don't need a ToC entry for the ToC since you won't have an internal ToC. I find an internal ToC in an ePub to be insulting.

In most situations I agree with you. However, there are situations when a internal TOC is justified. If a TOC contains an excerpt of each chapter, as sometimes in non-novels, it can have an added value.

Usually I don't use it, but for those kind of books I sometimes do. It will help the reader to find the right chapter.

DiapDealer
10-01-2011, 05:53 AM
I mean it would affect the stupid iBooks "feature" of removing the TOC from the TOC, surely they don't check for the TOC name in every language?
Gotcha. And I agree. It is rather stupid for iBooks to be removing anything from the TOC for any reason.

DaleDe
10-01-2011, 01:37 PM

Are you speaking for everyone again? Just because you don't want it doesn't mean that nobody wants it. Lots of people like an eBook to be more like a book.

Adjust
10-03-2011, 07:29 PM
I name my TOC's "Contents" and they are always there

virtual_ink
10-07-2011, 12:47 AM
I'll test again Adjust. I don't remember having this problem until I updated ibooks last week. Are you on the latest version of ibooks?

virtual_ink
11-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Tried "Contents" with no luck but "Contents " works!

Ah, that's a nbsp you don't see there

virtual_ink
12-05-2011, 12:43 AM
iBooks seems to have 'fixed' this hack, and it no longer works. Bah.

SBT
12-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Time to compile a list of synonyms for 'Contents', then.

Is there another word for synonym, by the way? Or a shorthand expression for mnemonic? :p

DiapDealer
12-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Embed a very small, custom-made font that gives you the ability "spell" Contents with entirely different characters. ;)

sundog
08-06-2012, 10:49 AM
SO it chops Contents, Table of Contents, and I think Front Matter ... How frustrating. A complete list of terms to avoid could come in handy.

So, I know this is an old discussion, but I've just stumbled upon this irritating problem for the first time and found this thread. I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a workaround? It seems "cover" is also ignored.