Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 05:05 AM   #1
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
same screen quality….why upgrade?

putting aside the copy-cat tablet which i have no interest in, this is my analysis of the new kindle lineup:

1. exactly the same pearl eink screens
2. exactly the same core software engine
3. more distracting services - X ray

i see no valid reason to upgrade from a K3, the main selling point for the K3 over K2s was the vastly clearer eink technology…what do others think?

Last edited by max99; 09-29-2011 at 06:26 AM.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
GoversAU
Enthusiast
GoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle Oasis
Totally agree. I'm seriously underwhelmed, and possibly a tad disappointed, and will be sticking with my K2 and DXG.

I would seriously miss the page turn buttons on the side (it's bad enough with them on only one side with the DXG).

As for the Fire ... what's the point? I want an ereader.
GoversAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
putting asked the copy-cat tablet which i have no interest in, this is my analysis of the new kindle lineup:

i see no valid reason to upgrade from a K3, the main selling point for the K3 over K2s was the vastly clearer eink technology…what do others think?
Some people like touch screens. Those are the people that the new devices are aimed at. If the K3 meets your needs, then that's great - it meets mine, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoversAU View Post
As for the Fire ... what's the point? I want an ereader.
The Fire isn't aimed at the reader market - it's aimed primarily at the video and music market. That's a very significant market sector.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
You forgot touch screen. A major upgrade, whether you use it or not.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 06:35 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
If I had a working K3 I probably wouldn't upgrade to the Touch just yet.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
I prefer keyboard so I don't mind much about the Touch, and the IR technology implies a 2~3mm recessed screen which I don't like much. But I wonder if it will be much faster with the new Freescale chip. I didn't see the Touch in action yet (maybe it's shown in the press conference), but you can see a page turn (2 times actually) in the Quick Tour on amazon's site and it seems pretty fast, though maybe it was edited to make it look faster. In the rest of the Quick Tour video, they cautiously avoid showing the device in action.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I don't think they are aimed at existing users, they're more for the new Xmas market. If they had wanted people to upgrade they would have replaced the keyboard with an extra inch of screen.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:37 AM   #9
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I don't think they are aimed at existing users, they're more for the new Xmas market. If they had wanted people to upgrade they would have replaced the keyboard with an extra inch of screen.
This is my sense of things, too. The new Kindles aren't primarily aimed at existing owners (unless their Kindles broke, I guess). They're for people who don't already have Kindles --especially those who were holding off because of price. Even though they're ad-supported, Amazon broke the $100 mark with these Kindles, so that will attract some people.

I'm not sure what to think of the Kindle Fire. Clearly, a $200 tablet is a big deal -- especially if it can be rooted to put a later version of Android on it. On the other hand, 8GB of memory w/ no expansion slot is kind of hard to swallow for a tablet these days. That's less than a lot of phones have now.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Part of the problem is that e-ink doesn't really advance like some other technologies. I think until color e-ink comes out, the Pearl is as good as it gets.

I have a Touch on order becuase I need to have the latest gadget but I really like the touch interface and its smaller/lighter/etc...All the usual bullet points. I will probably never use the X ray feature but maybe I will be surprised.

I like the desgin of new lighted cover over the old one as well.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
I don't think many people noticed it but I was impressed by a photo on a new Kindle product page:
This picture makes me think that typing of accented letters is enabled at last. I'm not sure the feature is provided on Kindle 3 through firmware upgrade, but, if not, I think it can be a sole reason for me to buy the new Kindle.

For the moment, I don't pre-order it because it may be enabled on Kindle 3 soon, and Amazon doesn't take pre-orders from Japan...
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
putting aside the copy-cat tablet which i have no interest in, this is my analysis of the new kindle lineup:

Faster processor, smaller overall size and it's lighter. Removing the keyboard makes it even more like a paperback novel in size. Some people really like that.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
avatar78 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I did notice on this demo he refreshed the page while reading about a half dozen times before the screen flashed. I also like the pinch to zoom, especially if it works on pdf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlO3r2IndlQ
avatar78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #14
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Part of the problem is that e-ink doesn't really advance like some other technologies. I think until color e-ink comes out, the Pearl is as good as it gets.
Here's a Kindle-friendly link to a long Business Week Jeff Bezos profile touching on this:

http://tinyurl.com/43e6vkp

Quote:
For years the engineers at Lab126 tried to create a workable and reader-friendly color Kindle, according to three former employees. New color display technologies like Qualcomm’s Mirasol and another MIT IT-offshoot called Pixel Qi proved unreliable and difficult to produce in large quantities.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #15
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
+1 on the size and weight. It now fits in my pants pockets.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote