View Full Version : MobileRead Temporary Test Poll

WT Sharpe
09-25-2011, 03:48 PM
This is a temporary test poll. This poll and any posts that are made to it will be deleted within two days. This is only a test. If this had been an actual poll, you would have been advised to seek shelter and... wait, that's the Emergency Broadcasting Service. Never mind.

— Tom [Mad Moderator, and I don't mean as in angry]

Ron.
09-25-2011, 03:50 PM
I see no poll, but I am guessing you know that already :)

WT Sharpe
09-25-2011, 03:54 PM
You posted while I was making it. This is a test of the new "Hide results until the poll closes" option in the MR software.

WT Sharpe
09-25-2011, 03:56 PM
I can see the results, but above them, it says, "Others cannot see the results until this poll is closed."

Well, can anyone else see the results? How about those who have not voted?

sun surfer
09-25-2011, 03:56 PM
I for one am in favour of temporary tests, so I will be voting yes in the poll, when it shows up. :D

sun surfer
09-25-2011, 03:57 PM
I can see the results, but above them, it says, "Others cannot see the results until this poll is closed."

Well, can anyone else see the results? How about those who have not voted?

Oh, it popped up while I was posting. Yes, it is hidden!

All options, after voting, say "Votes Are Hidden Until This Poll Is Closed". Good job Tom!

Ron.
09-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Ok seeing it now :)

WT Sharpe
09-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Ok seeing it now :)

The poll results, or your vote?

WT Sharpe
09-25-2011, 04:02 PM
I seem to be the only one who can see the polling results. That's good. I guess the OP can see them, but others can't.

Ron.
09-25-2011, 04:03 PM
I see the poll, but no results, just [Votes are hidden until this poll is closed] which I assume is the desired result.

WT Sharpe
09-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Oh, it popped up while I was posting. Yes, it is hidden!

All options, after voting, say "Votes Are Hidden Until This Poll Is Closed". Good job Tom!

The credit goes to Alex. He's the one who made that option possible. We should do something nice for him. I believe he accepts Karma and belly rubs. :p

sun surfer
09-25-2011, 04:06 PM
I seem to be the only one who can see the polling results. That's good. I guess the OP can see them, but others can't.

Is it because you are the OP, or because you are a moderator?

Asawi
09-25-2011, 04:06 PM
I see the "votes are hidden..."
Seems it's working as it should then!

Asawi
09-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Also, I notice the one I voted for is in italics. Nice!

WT Sharpe
09-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Is it because you are the OP, or because you are a moderator?

I assume because I'm the OP. Time will tell.

Falcao
09-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Very good job. I couldn't see the results before taking the poll and I can't see them after. Like they said above, I can see in italics the option I voted for.

I hope this is the end of those silly fights on the book-of-the-month thread. But I will not hold my breath :p

Nyssa
09-25-2011, 04:17 PM
This message "Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected." appears above the poll. But this message "Votes are hidden until this poll is closed" appears once you vote (instead of the bar and number as usual),

Thank you to both you and Alex for working on this, and giving us an addi'l option.

Excellent job! :)

Oh question: Will we be allowed enough to see the final vote before the thread is deleted? Just out of curiosity.

sun surfer
09-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Since I voted too fast to look, what about the "see results" button you can press on other polls to see results before you vote? Is it just not there on this kind of poll?

Nyssa
09-25-2011, 04:32 PM
I do not remember seeing it as an option. In fact, I think it stated a variation of "Votes Are Hidden Until This Poll Is Closed".

Hamlet53
09-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Before vote images and after vote image for hidden poll. :)

So will this be tried out next month and then a vote on what is preferred?

dreams
09-25-2011, 05:06 PM
I assume because I'm the OP. Time will tell.
I'm not sure if the non-mod OP can, but as moderators we can.
Very good job. I couldn't see the results before taking the poll and I can't see them after. Like they said above, I can see in italics the option I voted for.

I hope this is the end of those silly fights on the book-of-the-month thread. But I will not hold my breath :p

As a moderator, I was able to see who voted before I voted and after voting I could also click to see who voted . So, it may be that only moderators are able to view the votes. I didn't play with it much after that.

Now to see how it displays after the poll closes and we see the results of "Votes Are Hidden Until This Poll Is Closed".

Nyssa
09-25-2011, 05:07 PM

I'm hoping that is the case! Thanks for adding the images. :)

WT Sharpe
09-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Oh question: Will we be allowed enough to see the final vote before the thread is deleted? Just out of curiosity.

I guess I could go ahead and let this thread survive, since there are so many responses, and I know folks want to know the answer to the pressing question I posted. :D

It's only a 24-hour poll.

WT Sharpe
09-25-2011, 05:17 PM

OMG! :eek: I can't believe I made that fundamental of a grammatical error! Must have been a typo. Fixed now.

WT Sharpe
09-25-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm not sure if the non-mod OP can, but as moderators we can.

As a moderator, I was able to see who voted before I voted and after voting I could also click to see who voted . So, it may be that only moderators are able to view the votes. I didn't play with it much after that.

Now to see how it displays after the poll closes and we see the results of "Votes Are Hidden Until This Poll Is Closed".

Thanks for chiming in, dreams. I guess now we know we're privileged characters! :D

dreams
09-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Alex made an announcement about this new feature and it seems that non-mod poll creators & mods are able to see the vote results.

New feature: Hide voting results until poll is closed (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1756470#post1756470)

montsnmags
09-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Excellent. I'm going to make a habit of changing all book club related polls so that the book I am currently reading is always winning. I believe "One Fish Two Fish..." is a classic/literature/SF/non-fiction/romance/etc., is it not?

Nyssa
09-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Ooh Ohh Ohh Can we please try out our new hidden poll with January!?! It is
Wild Card month - (no nominations, a vote of all the non-winning nominations from the last 11 months) and the first of the new year. It just seems like a wonderful time to try something new.

badgoodDeb
09-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Excellent. I'm going to make a habit of changing all book club related polls so that the book I am currently reading is always winning. I believe "One Fish Two Fish..." is a classic/literature/SF/non-fiction/romance/etc., is it not?

Of course it is! One of the few classics that I've read!

As for giving Alex Karma or belly rubs -- I'm not sure his wife will appreciate the latter from some of our avatars! (in person being much more harmless than my avatar)

Ron.
09-27-2011, 02:51 PM
The one I pick never wins!

montsnmags
09-27-2011, 06:47 PM
The one I pick never wins!

[Makes note to self never to vote on Ron.'s team] ;)