View Full Version : ePub Help

DrDln
09-14-2011, 04:36 PM
I was checking for ePub validation. The books reads fine. But got this error when tried validation. Anyone knows what this means. I will appreciate. This is to publish with smashwords. Thanks.

<<ERROR: the-power-of-breathing.epub: The file tmp_b3c75fed30cbb7c367ea4b2007cf78c5_HKsKAy_html_m 5b32798a.png does not appear to be of type image/png >>

taustin
09-14-2011, 04:46 PM
A .png is an image or picture. The validation software believes the image listed as a .png file is not, in fact, a .png file. Possibly it is a version conflict (image is a newer file format that the validation software can deal with), or possibly it is not, in fact, a .png file.

anamardoll
09-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Is there supposed to be a space in the file name?

tmp_b3c75fed30cbb7c367ea4b2007cf78c5_HKsKAy_html_m 5b32798a.png

That would be a problem for many code applications.

JSWolf
09-14-2011, 04:55 PM
This might have been a Word document before it was converted to what might be an ePub wrapper on top of a garbage dump.

If this is a book that the OP is creating, I suggest the OP go into the underlying filenames/code and really fix the mess.

AlexBell
09-15-2011, 04:37 AM
A .png is an image or picture. The validation software believes the image listed as a .png file is not, in fact, a .png file. Possibly it is a version conflict (image is a newer file format that the validation software can deal with), or possibly it is not, in fact, a .png file.

I can confirm that ePubCheck has no problem in dealing the png images. I think you're correct in advising that it's possibly not a png file.

DrDln
09-16-2011, 10:26 PM
I can confirm that ePubCheck has no problem in dealing the png images. I think you're correct in advising that it's possibly not a png file.

Hi Taustin and AlexBell. I do appreciate your response. So how do we go about it? I may share the entire situation further with smashwords.

Nine of my 12 guides pass the epub test. One of them I fixed yesterday only. Below are the error messages that I get with other 3 guides. Any idea what do these mean!

I will continue to work on these. Most of these errors perhaps are link and image related. The major work is to locate them.

I will appreciate any clue on how to find these errors or to know what these mean.

1. <<ERROR: the-power-of-breathing.epub: The file tmp_56e5d5dbe37ad7496a77581a2e5789e3_VW6W9h_html_m 5b32798a.png does not appear to be of type image/png>>

2. <<ERROR: art-of-stress-free-living-eastern-and-western-approach.epub/tmp_90dd12c32a5b750b5645fd483b9830eb_aTzujH.ch.fix ed.fc.tidied.stylehacked.xfixed_split_011.html(38) : attribute "width" not allowed here; expected attribute "abbr", "align", "axis", "char", "charoff", "class", "colspan", "dir", "headers", "id", "rowspan", "scope", "style", "title", "valign" or "xml:lang" >>

3. << ERROR: HHL-epub.epub/tmp_6c6543aa0c591fd11631fa8ca3bcaedb_G67JJi.ch.fix ed.fc.tidied.stylehacked.xfixed_split_014.html(207 ): attribute "height" not allowed here; expected attribute "abbr", "align", "axis", "char", "charoff", "class", "colspan", "dir", "headers", "id", "rowspan", "scope", "style", "title", "valign" or "xml:lang"

Thanks in advance for your help.

DrDln
09-17-2011, 11:11 AM
This might have been a Word document before it was converted to what might be an ePub wrapper on top of a garbage dump.

If this is a book that the OP is creating, I suggest the OP go into the underlying filenames/code and really fix the mess.

Yes, this is a word document that is converted to epub format (by using what smashwords call meatgrinder).

What is OP that create the ePub file? Thanks for your help.

DrDln
09-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks for your response. Most of the images or pictures I use are jpeg (or rarely gif) format. There appears to be one image that is causing the problem and I don't know how to identify in my word document that I use to convert.

I do appreciate all your help.

AlexBell
09-18-2011, 04:37 AM
So how do we go about it? I may share the entire situation further with smashwords.

I think this is your best hope. We can tell you what the error messages mean, and if you were doing the conversion by hand could suggest alternate markup. But only Smashwords understands the mysteries of the meatgrinder.

SandyHarper
09-18-2011, 12:54 PM
I am getting the following message during ePub validation with one of my guides. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I use msWord file to upload on smashwords. Thanks.

<<ERROR: entrepreneurs-guide-to-direct-mail-order.epub/tmp_168b13fbbdd602b440d2f02d1f5f87fb_RTNeh4.ch.fix ed.fc.tidied.stylehacked.xfixed_split_011.html(94) : text not allowed here; expected the element end-tag or element "address", "blockquote", "del", "div", "dl", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "hr", "ins", "noscript", "ns:svg", "ol", "p", "pre", "script", "table" or "ul" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg")>>

JSWolf
09-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Yes, this is a word document that is converted to epub format (by using what smashwords call meatgrinder).

What is OP that create the ePub file? Thanks for your help.

OP = original poster. The person that started the thread.

Since this is a meatground mess, it's not something you can fix by hand. You just have to follow the guide and pray.

LaoTseu
09-18-2011, 09:55 PM
I am getting the following message during ePub validation with one of my guides. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I use msWord file to upload on smashwords. Thanks.

<<ERROR: entrepreneurs-guide-to-direct-mail-order.epub/tmp_168b13fbbdd602b440d2f02d1f5f87fb_RTNeh4.ch.fix ed.fc.tidied.stylehacked.xfixed_split_011.html(94) : text not allowed here; expected the element end-tag or element "address", "blockquote", "del", "div", "dl", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "hr", "ins", "noscript", "ns:svg", "ol", "p", "pre", "script", "table" or "ul" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg")>>

Can you quote the offending text? I looked at your SmashWords and it asked me to pay to download the book. I'm guessing you have test in the <body> without <p> or something similar but I would have to see to tell you more.

DrDln
09-19-2011, 10:22 PM
I think this is your best hope. We can tell you what the error messages mean, and if you were doing the conversion by hand could suggest alternate markup. But only Smashwords understands the mysteries of the meatgrinder.
Thanks for the response. The funny thing is I have uploaded each picture/image as jpeg file again. But it still shows the same error message:

<<ERROR: the-power-of-breathing.epub: The file tmp_515c9b2d4bfeaa90944df09430a16bdb_DY4fiR_html_m 5b32798a.png does not appear to be of type image/png >>

The other 9 books formatted the same way have passed ePubl test. That is the frustrating part. There have to something missing and don't know what??

If anyone can help where to locate that file tmp....in error message is what I need to nail down the error. Otherwise it is just shooting in the dark with the hope to hit at the mark. Thanks everyone for all your hints.

DiapDealer
09-20-2011, 05:56 AM
If anyone can help where to locate that file tmp....in error message is what I need to nail down the error. Otherwise it is just shooting in the dark with the hope to hit at the mark. Thanks everyone for all your hints.
That tmp file is an intermediate file created by the meatgrinder in it's conversion process. You don't have access to it. It only exists on Smashwords' servers and is probably gone by the time you see the error. That's why the error messages are largely meaningless to the uploader. It's telling you where there's a mistake in your xhtml code when you didn't write any xhtml code. Very frustrating for the user (and for those trying to help).

LaoTseu
09-20-2011, 07:06 AM
That tmp file is an intermediate file created by the meatgrinder in it's conversion process. You don't have access to it. It only exists on Smashwords' servers and is probably gone by the time you see the error. That's why the error messages are largely meaningless to the uploader. It's telling you where there's a mistake in your xhtml code when you didn't write any xhtml code. Very frustrating for the user (and for those trying to help).

The ePub validation from ThreePress (http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate/) give very clear and useful messages. Maybe that can help you guys find the error.

Sigil also use pretty much the same validation. I found both those tools invaluable when I'm trying to get ePub right.

DiapDealer
09-20-2011, 07:29 AM
The ePub validation from ThreePress give very clear and useful messages. Maybe that can help you guys find the error.

Sigil also use pretty much the same validation. I found both those tools invaluable when I'm trying to get ePub right.
You're not understanding the problem. The users having these problems are not starting with an epub that they can validate on their own (or even plain html). They have a Word document and that's all. They upload that Word document to Smashwords (who then do their own in-house conversion to several different ebook formats via the "meatgrinder"). The error messages they are receiving are pointing to temporary files that the meatgrinder creates as an intermediate step in that conversion process. That's why the error messages are mostly useless. They have no html to validate... or epub to check. Just a Word document (which is the only source format Smashwords accepts for submission).

Toxaris
09-20-2011, 09:30 AM
The ePub validation from ThreePress (http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate/) give very clear and useful messages. Maybe that can help you guys find the error.

Actually, the ePubCheck (which ThreePress uses) is known for its cryptic messages that doesn't make much sense.

The validation in Sigil (FlightCrew) does much more checks and gives better understandable messages.

Neither tool is without flaws though, but I would rather set my money on FlightCrew than ePubCheck.

DrDln
09-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Actually, the ePubCheck (which ThreePress uses) is known for its cryptic messages that doesn't make much sense.
The validation in Sigil (FlightCrew) does much more checks and gives better understandable messages.
Neither tool is without flaws though, but I would rather set my money on FlightCrew than ePubCheck.

Toxaris, no words are good enough to appreciate your help. Your hint about sigil was great. It was sigil who helped me find the temp file that created the problem. ePub check did nothing but added to my frustrations. Thanks and hope it helps other authors who are frustrated with ePub errors.

I still have couple more to fix. But not bad to have 10 out of 12 passing ePub check. Thank you all for all your help. You guys were awesome. Every hint added to my understanding the problem. Thanks again. I will share how the other 2 books go.

JSWolf
09-20-2011, 10:33 PM
I have an idea. Take the Word document, convert it to ePub using Calibre and the command line program ebook-convert. Then take the resulting ePub and run it through FlightCrew and see what happens. Maybe you'll get the same results and be able to see where they are and then maybe be able to fix things.

DrDln
09-21-2011, 01:26 AM
Thanks for all your help folks. I am done with ePub right now. Hopefully some other authors can learn from valuable posts.

Toxaris
09-21-2011, 05:46 AM
That is a shame, because it is not the fault of the ePUB format. The real culprit is Smashwords who delivers a totally crappy tool called MeatGrinder. The name is well choosen though, it makes a complete mess and chaos from what you put in...

SandyHarper
09-21-2011, 06:59 PM

I appreciate you all for the hints to various messages. I already found someone who helped fix the problem and it passed ePUb check. If anyone else is struggling to pass ePub check and is frustrated with error messages; this person can help you fix it. He is professional. Thanks.