View Full Version : Problem with forum fonts

Trenien
10-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Am I the only with this problem?

Although everything was fine yesterday, today the forum's font look like crap - and I doubt it comes from my browser (firefox) as every other opened website is fine.

I haven't found any setting for the fonts in the forum's control so I assume I didn't do anything stupid on my end.

jasonkchapman
10-15-2007, 08:42 PM
It looks the same to me. Did any extensions update that might be causing it? You might try forcing a reload of the style sheet (hold shift while clicking refresh).

RWood
10-15-2007, 08:43 PM
I also use Firefox and the fonts here look fine. They default to a sans-serif. I had a problem like that once but I forget what I did to get rid of it other than a reboot.

HarryT
10-16-2007, 05:06 AM
All OK here too.

Trenien
10-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Well, after a reboot, still the same problem.

It's really weird, nowhere else do I have this issue. As a matter of fact, I have about ten other tabs opened right now, and only the mobileread forum looks bad.

:blink:

HappyMartin
10-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Also using firefox with multiple tabs and all looks good this end.

Alexander Turcic
10-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Well, after a reboot, still the same problem.

It's really weird, nowhere else do I have this issue. As a matter of fact, I have about ten other tabs opened right now, and only the mobileread forum looks bad.

:blink:

Trenien, could you post a screenshot?

Trenien
10-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Sure, here you go.

As you can see, no anti-aliasing at all (although it doesn't hurt the eyes so much on non bold characters)

jasonkchapman
10-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Is it possible that you have a wonky font file? The CSS calls for:
verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif;

I don't know what platform you're on or what fonts you have installed, but that could be a place to start.

Have you tried increasing/decreasing the font size (ctrl-+/ctrl--) to see if it makes any difference? (Not a fix, but maybe a clue)

JSWolf
10-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Have you tried say MSIE (if you run Windows) or another browser on the same computer?

Trenien
10-17-2007, 01:04 AM
I haven't tried MSIE, I'm under linux.

Trying the site with either epipany (another gecko based browser) or konqueror (completely different engine) I get the exact same result: the problem only appears with the mobileread forum.

Has anything changed with the forum (or its server) within the last couple of days?

Alexander Turcic
10-17-2007, 03:46 AM
I haven't tried MSIE, I'm under linux.

Trying the site with either epipany (another gecko based browser) or konqueror (completely different engine) I get the exact same result: the problem only appears with the mobileread forum.

Has anything changed with the forum (or its server) within the last couple of days?

Nothing has been changed except for a kernel upgrade in at least the past 30 days.

Unfortunately, I removed Xorg recently because I need my Linux machines only for server services. So I cannot try it out myself. But I'd figure if it was a general problem with Linux browsers, we'd have heard a lot of more complaints.

Jason had a very good suggestion. Did you check your installed fonts? Perhaps the other sites you checked ask for different fonts in the CSS and that those are OK on your system.

Trenien
10-17-2007, 04:51 AM
Ok, that make sense. I did upgrade my system a few days ago (although I could swear I came to mobileread forum with no problem a few times since that).

I'll check it. What is(are) the font(s) the site needs, or alternatively where can I check it up.

Even better, is there any way for me to set my account with other fonts to use here?

jasonkchapman
10-17-2007, 07:37 AM
Is it Ubuntu by any chance? If so, there's something else to check. There was a bug with the Ubuntu package of Firefox at one point (working from a vague memory, here, because I don't use Ubuntu). Something in the FF installation affected KDE's settings for font smoothing or something.

Trenien
10-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Ah, no. I use Mandriva (hence the recent update)