View Full Version : Please help with ePub validation errors.

Kratos
09-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Hi, I've created an ePub solely for the iBooks store using Adobe Indesign CS5.5 on a PC. I have unzipped and edited some of the html using Notepad+. And I have rezipped.

Using the Pagina validation tool I checked my epub and got these errors:-

WARNING: Book1b.epub:
resource OEBPS/fonts/MinionPro-Bold.otf cannot be decrypted

resource OEBPS/fonts/MinionPro-Regular.otf cannot be decrypted

item (iTunesMetadata.plist) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file

Any idea how to remedy these, and are the warning issues less serious an can they still pass the Apple iBooks check?

SamL
09-12-2011, 04:31 PM
The first two are a problem with embedding your fonts, I'm not sure if it is the particular font you are using or what. You could wither try and embed no fonts, or use a different one.

The 3rd error happens because you probably loaded you book on your apple device through iTunes. It puts that ".plist" file in there when you do. So either unzip your epub, and delete the file and rezip it. Or re-export it and try and validate it before it sending it though iTunes.

JSWolf
09-15-2011, 09:09 PM
The embedded fonts are encrypted to Adobe's standard since they were exported via InDesign. You'll need to put in unecrypted fonts for the validation to work.

wannabee
09-15-2011, 10:16 PM
The embedded fonts are encrypted to Adobe's standard since they were exported via InDesign. You'll need to put in unecrypted fonts for the validation to work.

or just click off the embed fonts check box in the export to ePub dialogue box.
Myriad is just a sans serif font that you can specify in the CSS.

Kratos
09-16-2011, 11:50 AM
I've unclicked the option in InDesign and it doesn't embed the fonts. It's fine. Thanks!