View Full Version : Two columns of text, line down middle?

chingu
09-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Hello,

I just purchased a Kobo e-reader, mainly to read one specific book: Capitalism by George Reisman. It's a massive tome available freely online as a pdf on the authors site, and I didn't want to go blind trying to read all of the 1500 or so pages.

The problem is that I cannot convert it to epub properly on calibre, because within each page there are two lines of writing. They are separated by a space down the middle.

For example ........it carries
everything is.......on to the
written like..........other side
this. Then...........like this.

[Edit, my example didn't work out because the forum here edited my spacing for some reason. I added periods instead of spaces]

If my explanation doesn't make sense then just pull up a page in the book anywhere after around page 40 and have a look-see. http://www.capitalism.net/Capitalism/CAPITALISM_Internet.pdf

So when I convert to epub from pdf on calibre I get alternating lines that don't make sense.

Is this a known issue and is there a way to fix this without editing a 1500 page book line by line?

Thank you

Toxaris
09-04-2011, 04:18 PM
pull it through OCR. Columns are usually recognized then.

DaleDe
09-04-2011, 06:12 PM
chingu: You are correct, 2 columns are difficult. In ePub there would need to be a table with an entry for each column. The lines could be hidden. however some eBook readers will not work properly with a table that spans multiple pages so it is going to be difficult to make an ePub that works well. However, Kobo can also read PDF.

Dale