Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Should I buy a 7 inch Galaxy Tab 3g?

I've been trying to decide on an Android tablet to compliment my ipad 2 (can never have too many gadgets) and I've settled on getting a 7 or 8 inch model. I've also decided that I don't want to spend too much money ($300 or less if possible). So, I need advice from my good friends at Mobileread, especially those that own a 3g original Galaxy Tab. I can buy a used Sprint one in great condition (Android 2.3.4) + accessories for $260. My question is, is it still worth it in light of the current and upcoming competition?

I've ruled out the WIFI only version, so that leaves the following:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (coming soon) ***This one looks perfect, but there is no way this is going to be cheap. Unless somebody can tell me different...

Blackberry Playbook ***limited apps

Acer Iconia A100 ***Slightly over my budget ($330), poor battery life, bad viewing angles

Lenovo Ideapad A1 ***Seems very promising at $250 (I don't think the $199 model is coming to the U.S) but I don't see any advantages over the Galaxy Tab besides the extra SD card slot. Am I missing anything on this one?

HTC Flyer ***Slightly over budget ($299), strange rubber grips on the back

Nook Color ***Had one and loved it, but I'm not in the mood to hack anymore, and the form factor is not as nice as the Galaxy Tab

Vizio Tablet ***Had this in my Amazon cart and almost bought it. I like the 8 inch 4:3 screen and remote control functions +HDMI, but don't like that it has some poor viewing angles on the screen, is slightly sluggish, and doesn't have a rear camera. Also, at 8 inches is it too much a "between sizes" tablet?

Amazon Kindle Tablet ***Probably designed nicely with a cool UI. But, it seems like this will lack many of the functions that the Galaxy Tablet has. What possible advantages could this have over the Galaxy Tab besides the integrated ecosystem? I could still run Kindle and the Amazon app store on the Galaxy Tab.

And, I think those are the only options that aren't cheaply constructed, or have low resolution screens. So, with that in mind, is it safe to say that the original 3g Galaxy Tab is still the best 7inch tablet for the price I can get it for? Those that have one, are you still using it? How is it holding up? Thanks in advance! I'd like to purchase it in the next day or so, but would like some feedback first (I don't usually spend that much on a used item!)

Last edited by Noah98; 11-22-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
You've really have done your homework, i suspect you already have your answer.

For $260 I agree the Tab is the best model today. No use taking about future models until we have price and release dates.

A few movie data points. The nook however still has the best screen to date. The A1 will have a better screen than the Tab 7",
The Tab is the only model with 3G option. The Tab has gorilla glass.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
lost101
Enthusiast
lost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: HTC Hero
http://tablets-planet.com/2011/09/04...own-to-279-99/

Obviously that's the wifi-only model, but the 3G version may follow.
lost101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I missed out on purchasing the Galaxy Tab that I originally posted about, but I think I found a better deal for $245. The first one that I looked at was the Sprint model and had the advantage of the newer Android 2.3.4 firmware.

The one that I purchased after missing out on the initial deal is the Verizon version, which is still on 2.2. However, I did get the following with it:

1. Otterbox case
2. 32 gb micro sd card (the original one I looked at only had 16gb)
3. Car charger

Although I am on AT&T, I have considered switching to Verizon when my contract runs out. Even though I don't plan on getting 3g service right now (I have enough contracts!), I'd rather have a Verizon tablet than a Sprint one (can't see myself ever switching to them). Also, I heard that it is easier to bypass activation on the Verizon model (simple code) vs. the Sprint model.

So, even though I don't need another tablet, I am anxiously anticipating my early birthday present!

Last edited by Noah98; 10-09-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Will you be sharing your tablet? IOW's watching video's or reading books alongside a child? the reason why I ask is you seemed concerned about viewing angles. If you don't intend on using these at the same time with someone, then viewing angles actually become a moot point, since your use with be directly head on.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Will you be sharing your tablet? IOW's watching video's or reading books alongside a child? the reason why I ask is you seemed concerned about viewing angles. If you don't intend on using these at the same time with someone, then viewing angles actually become a moot point, since your use with be directly head on.
Well, I have two kids and there are times when we do view things together. I'm also guilty of the "Look at this honey!" and share things on the internet. I don't mind narrow viewing angles as long as they are reasonable. I remember playing with the Viewsonic Tablet, and I could barely move it before the image got dark, particularly in portrait mode (my preferred orientation). The Iconia and the Vizio tablet are not really bad. Actually, it was a tough decision. The Iconia lost out on price and battery life, the Vizio on form factor (but just barely).

Overall, I think I made the right choice with the Galaxy Tab. I love the screen on it and the form factor. I wanted an Android upgrade from my Pandigital Novel, and the Galaxy Tab certainly is a huge upgrade.

Part of me wonders if I will regret not holding out for the Lenovo (IPS screen + 2.3) but, I think what I got will compare favorably. I love the screen on the Galaxy Tab (color saturation, brightness, viewing angles) so I can't complain there. Also, there's a chance that Verizon will eventually get around to updating to 2.3 (Sprint has already).

Anyhow, I'm back in the Android club
Old 09-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Well, I have two kids and there are times when we do view things together. I'm also guilty of the "Look at this honey!" and share things on the internet. I don't mind narrow viewing angles as long as they are reasonable. I remember playing with the Viewsonic Tablet, and I could barely move it before the image got dark, particularly in portrait mode (my preferred orientation). The Iconia and the Vizio tablet are not really bad. Actually, it was a tough decision. The Iconia lost out on price and battery life, the Vizio on form factor (but just barely).

Overall, I think I made the right choice with the Galaxy Tab. I love the screen on it and the form factor. I wanted an Android upgrade from my Pandigital Novel, and the Galaxy Tab certainly is a huge upgrade.

Part of me wonders if I will regret not holding out for the Lenovo (IPS screen + 2.3) but, I think what I got will compare favorably. I love the screen on the Galaxy Tab (color saturation, brightness, viewing angles) so I can't complain there. Also, there's a chance that Verizon will eventually get around to updating to 2.3 (Sprint has already).

Anyhow, I'm back in the Android club
I think you'll be happy, it's a nice device and the apps should scale well to the 7 inch screen.

enjoy let's us know how you end up liking it.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I bought a 7" SGT for $400 + first month 3G service at COSTCO with month to month 3G on Verizon last Feb or March (activation was free). I opted for the 3Gb/Mo service for $35, and it has proved more than adequate, and mobile hotspot tethering is included at no extra cost. I believe both Sprint and Verizon is selling them for $199 with a 2 year contract. I’m not sure about AT&T’s and T-Mob’s price.

While mine is still running 2.2, I haven't yet seen a compelling reason to upgrade to another tablet. I hold out hope that VZW will upgrade the OS, but I’m not holding my breath. Froyo works ok for me.

The 7” form factor is perfect for me, as it the largest screen that still fits in my front trousers pocket, so it’s with me always without having to carry a geek bag. I still don’t understand the allure of the 10” tabs, if I’m going to carry one of those around, I might as well carry a netbook.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Well, I have two kids and there are times when we do view things together.
I have the 3G 7inch samsung and I read books with my toddler twins on it all the time without any issues of them not being able to see the pictures...
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #10
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by khourianya View Post
I have the 3G 7inch samsung and I read books with my toddler twins on it all the time without any issues of them not being able to see the pictures...
I love your blog! When my device arrives, I'll probably have a bunch of questions for you.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #11
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I bought a 7" SGT for $400 + first month 3G service at COSTCO with month to month 3G on Verizon last Feb or March (activation was free). I opted for the 3Gb/Mo service for $35, and it has proved more than adequate, and mobile hotspot tethering is included at no extra cost. I believe both Sprint and Verizon is selling them for $199 with a 2 year contract. I’m not sure about AT&T’s and T-Mob’s price.

While mine is still running 2.2, I haven't yet seen a compelling reason to upgrade to another tablet. I hold out hope that VZW will upgrade the OS, but I’m not holding my breath. Froyo works ok for me.

The 7” form factor is perfect for me, as it the largest screen that still fits in my front trousers pocket, so it’s with me always without having to carry a geek bag. I still don’t understand the allure of the 10” tabs, if I’m going to carry one of those around, I might as well carry a netbook.
I've read a lot of your posts about the Galaxy Tab, and it helped convince me to buy one!
Old 09-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #12
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I love your blog! When my device arrives, I'll probably have a bunch of questions for you.
Thanks! I'll do my best to answer them if I can I'm actually working on getting another blog up and going dedicated just to gadgets related to reading. I'll post that link when it's ready to have actual visitors (maybe next week).
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by khourianya View Post
I'm actually working on getting another blog up and going dedicated just to gadgets related to reading. I'll post that link when it's ready to have actual visitors (maybe next week).
I look forward to it. I can never get enough gadget talk
Old 09-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
The GT is a nice device. Good choice!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #15
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
I've been trying to decide on an Android tablet to compliment my ipad 2 (can never have too many gadgets) and I've settled on getting a 7 or 8 inch model. I've also decided that I don't want to spend too much money ($300 or less if possible). So, I need advice from my good friends at Mobileread, especially those that own a 3g original Galaxy Tab. I can buy a used Sprint one in great condition (Android 2.3.4) + accessories for $260. My question is, is it still worth it in light of the current and upcoming competition?

I've ruled out the WIFI only version, so that leaves the following:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (coming soon) ***This one looks perfect, but there is no way this is going to be cheap. Unless somebody can tell me different...

Blackberry Playbook ***Overpriced, limited apps, boring design

Acer Iconia A100 ***Slightly over my budget ($330), poor battery life, bad viewing angles

Lenovo Ideapad A1 ***Seems very promising at $250 (I don't think the $199 model is coming to the U.S) but I don't see any advantages over the Galaxy Tab besides the extra SD card slot. Am I missing anything on this one?

HTC Flyer ***Way overpriced, four hour battery life, and ugly design

Nook Color ***Had one and loved it, but I'm not in the mood to hack anymore, and the form factor is not as nice as the Galaxy Tab

Vizio Tablet ***Had this in my Amazon cart and almost bought it. I like the 8 inch 4:3 screen and remote control functions +HDMI, but don't like that it has some poor viewing angles on the screen, is slightly sluggish, and doesn't have a rear camera. Also, at 8 inches is it too much a "between sizes" tablet?

Amazon Kindle Tablet ***Probably designed nicely with a cool UI. But, it seems like this will lack many of the functions that the Galaxy Tablet has. What possible advantages could this have over the Galaxy Tab besides the integrated ecosystem? I could still run Kindle and the Amazon app store on the Galaxy Tab.

And, I think those are the only options that aren't cheaply constructed, or have low resolution screens. So, with that in mind, is it safe to say that the original 3g Galaxy Tab is still the best 7inch tablet for the price I can get it for? Those that have one, are you still using it? How is it holding up? Thanks in advance! I'd like to purchase it in the next day or so, but would like some feedback first (I don't usually spend that much on a used item!)
$ 260 for a used one seems a bit expensive. In Germany, which usually is one of the most expensive markets, a new one (3G model) sells for € 400.
So in my opinion it depends on the accessories, whether it's a good price.

Price aside, personally I wouldn't go for it. I love mine, but in the meantime it seems outdated to me. Rumor has it, Samsung won't update it to Honeycomb. And even if they did, the capacitive buttons won't switch as in "real" Honeycomb tablets as they're fixed in position.
Having used Honeycomb for some time now, this clearly would be a must for me.
On the other hand, it's a great reader of course. So, if you don't mind about "state of the art" and comparison to other tablets, on its own it's still good enough.

BTW: PlayBook is my favorite tablet (lack of apps aside, just rating the tablet and OS), I don't find the design boring at all - quite the contrary.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote